Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A crossdresser? well... i dont' know.

My realization about all this started out as crossdressing. I was also full of shame and guilt about it, yet couldn't really stop. I'd purge on occasion and all the other games we play with ourselves. But, I just felt so ashamed about it all. Then, one day I had a most wonderful epiphany. Cross dressing harms no one! It is nothing like being a pedophile where true harm is inflicted upon others. Cross dressing is much more common than you realize and it is HARMLESS. That epiphany helped me lose most of the shame and guilt about all this. It also planted the seeds of the self-discovery of my real self. By no longer feeling ashamed, I was able to embrace it (so to speak), explore it and experience it without feeling bad about. I could do it not just because I HAD to but, also because I wanted to. However, my life situations often interfered with my cross dressing desires.

Then, one fateful day, I woke up with the all encompasing desire to have a female body and be female, not just dress like one. It defintiely threw me for a loop. I had never thought about being a woman, just dressing like one. Well, I wrestled and fought that for almost 2 years until one day I realized I was having suicidal thoughts and I knew gender issues were at the root. I sought a gender therapist (covered by my insurance, diagnosed as depression, which is very true. I was depressed enough to have suicidal thoughts).

When I saw her, I hit the deck running. I held nothing back and dove right into it. I knew that I had to be completely utterly honest with her and I had to unabashedly tackle this 'stuff' if I was going to get anywhere. I was just trying to figure out what was going on with me and how I could be at peace inside my own skin. It wasn't necessarily to transition or anything else. I made no assumption of what my answers would be. But, I knew I needed to find them. She was comfortable and confident at letting me know after our first session that I am transgendered. As I have examined more of myself and learned more I understand why she saw it so easily. Gender is an interesting thing. My favorite quote about it is that "we don't see it because it is everywhere. It is a very subtle thing simply because it is so overt."

Yep, I have a ton of female to me I hadn't recognised as female, if that makes any sense.
    I am so so glad I sought her help. We went through my history and present and she gave me the affirmations that I needed in order to admit to myself I am in fact transgendered, not just a cross dresser. As mentioned above, it is only my awarness and admission that truely counts. But, I couldn't have made that without my counselor's afirmation.

Anyway, In February/March of 2009 I started on a hormone regime. My primary focus (thus far) about this regime has been the mental and emotional effect removing the testostrone and adding estrogen has upon my emotional and mental world. I am just so much more comfortable and I don't have nearly as strong of a fractured feeling inside.

I still have a LONG way to go. I have no current plan to transition and I'm pretty scared about the prospect. Yet, as time continues and I learn more about myself, the more I am realizing that I may not really have a practical choice. It is distinctly possible (probable?) that I will reach an internal point where I basically have to transition because I will no longer be able to not transition. I'm not there yet.
    I am also finding these issues to be pandora's box sorts of things. Several significant things have happened in my life as a direct result of exploring my transgender issues.

These gender issues, once awakened, take on a progression of their own and will not allow me to drop them, forget about them, or even put them on a back-burner for awhile. I tryed to put this stuff on a backburner for a bit to help deal with some major changes with my life. But, they ain't letting me.
    If I had any regrets about all this it is simply I wish I had been able to start this all when I was in my 20's instead of late 40's.

I hope you are able to figure out the right answers for you. I shared my 'story' in an attempt to help you in figureig all this out. Perhaps you see some similarities. Perhaps not.
    Last edited by TerryTerri; 02-02-2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: hopefuly make post more readible
    [SIZE="3"]Terri[/SIZE]
    ------------------------------------------
    [SIZE="2"]"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, The master calls a butterfly!"[/SIZE]

The true measure of a person is in the questions they ask, not the answers they give.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Hand up here. After I realized that I was a cross-dresser, I haven't thought once about "manning up". The closest I've come to that is to wonder whether part of my drive to cross-dress was self-supplying of some psychological things I was not deriving from the people around me, and thus to wonder, if my environment changed whether I would feel the drive as strongly. But that's "as strongly", not "go away" -- wearing a skirt feels too right for me to expect the urge to go away for good.
    This look on my face - that is envy. Good for you, I wish more of us could be this clear this early in our lives without having to go through the years of knot knowing... Hell - I'm still working on figuring out where I fall on the spectrum - but finding it is much more femme than I had originally thought.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Thanks for sharing the story.

like i said before for me cding is like opening the gates to my identity. on occasion when no one is home on an early morning, all it takes is some makeup and a girly hair style for me to feel normal. and how do i know i feel normal. because when i have female cloths on me+some make up i feel more calm and less grumpy. i feel like a barrier has been lifted of my mind and i can think more freely. everything seems simpler and more fun i guess. its a wired feeling i can't really describe. ok. well when im in guy mode my mood is: i have no mood. people at work tell me to smile, yet im not mad or anything. everything is just dull and artificial when im in guy mode which is like 95 percent of the time.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    This look on my face - that is envy. Good for you, I wish more of us could be this clear this early in our lives without having to go through the years of knot knowing... Hell - I'm still working on figuring out where I fall on the spectrum - but finding it is much more femme than I had originally thought.
    Not so early for me: I didn't realize I was a cross-dresser until I was 43. I had various excuses... e.g., I was "just trying on" my wife's clothes "to see how they would go together", "just trying to figure out" what kind of bra would look best on her -- to realize that I wanted to actually wear the clothes was a big revelation to me.

I'm still struggling with where I am in the spectrum as well. I'm going to a gender therapist, who is emphasizing that I should not start by labeling myself, but should instead experiment and see how I feel about things.

Quote Originally Posted by girlalex View Post
    how do i know i feel normal. because when i have female cloths on me+some make up i feel more calm and less grumpy. i feel like a barrier has been lifted of my mind and i can think more freely. everything seems simpler and more fun i guess.
    You mentioned that in your original posting that you were feeling depressed. Is it possible that you have some degree of clinical depression? Because I had a quite bad case of Depression, and found that cross-dressing was one of the few things that made me feel normal and hopeful, that the clouds lifted from my mind and I could think and plan and initiate. If you have an inner brain gender conflict, then cross-dressing could be helping to resolve that conflict and making your brain chemistry run smoothly. Seriously. My doctor couldn't figure out why my brain was resisting anti-depressants until I finally told him about me being CD/TG, and then everything fell together for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    ...feeling ashamed is a big roadblock for many trans people...you are very young, and you are smart to be focusing on this now and trying to figure it all out...
    Amen, Kaitlyn! Denying your true feelings only leads to sadness and regret. I speak from painful personal experience of the half-life so many of us live. Young people, please, please take advantage of the resources that are now available to help you draw your true self into the light.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

The U.S. on the east coast. Yay the beach :)
    I wish i had something to say that could help but honestly i'm still trying to work through my own body issues. Really i guess I am just trying to say that you are not alone in this.
    'Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” - Leo F. Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
    I wish i had something to say that could help but honestly i'm still trying to work through my own body issues. Really i guess I am just trying to say that you are not alone in this.
    Gosh did I love Ranma....I spent years searching for the pool he fell into!!!