Thread: The Letter

Learning

The Letter

After months of therapy an wishishing so hard I finally have the letter.. Now that I have it how do I preceed. I know contact a Dr. but what type. How do I go about finding a TG freindly Dr. Whats expected. I just know Im so happy sooooooexcited and just apprehensive of acheiving my dreams as I was when I started therapy. When can I get comfortable. Anyone have any suggestions on trying to find the right kind of Dr. Any suggestions would be so much appreciated. Amanda

Which letter, the hormone letter? You want an endocrinologist, ideally.

What I did was call endocrinology practices (find them in the phone book or by googling "endocrinology" and the major city near you) and simply ask whoever answers if any of the doctors there do HRT for transsexuals. The hard part for me has been finding one who could see me in less than 6 weeks - apparently they are in much demand!
    "Impossible" is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try. Kutless - What Faith Can Do
    Quote Originally Posted by My sister Lilli
    Yes, your happy shows - you practically have unicorns and starbursts flying out of you.
    Physically female!

Learning
    TY Faith I dont live in alarge city not exatly the bible belt but abit conservative do I search for female Dr. Male or does it really matter. I just really want this to go smooth. I know it really shouldnt matter because this is I want. But I dont want to be refused either.

Amanda.. congratulations..

Don't just narrow your search to endocrinologists. The Dr. following my HRT is a primary GYN. Call your local clinics and ask if they have a doctor that works with TS patients for HRT. If they don't have one ask if they can recommend a clinic that does. In the quad cities area it shouldn't be that difficult to find a dr to help you.

My best to you
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

Congratulations Amanda! It's paid off, now for the next step. Most women in my area go to one of two different gender clinics. The doctors there do the prescribing. I go to my family practice doctor who I found by talking with other trans women. She is knowledgeable about prescribing HRT but she has an endocrinologist she calls if she has questions. It is a Woman's Health and Family Care practice, but I have never seen any "family" there, just a bunch of women. And if all that fails just pick up the phone and start calling. Do not be bashful about asking questions,it's your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Manda View Post
    TY Faith I dont live in alarge city not exatly the bible belt but abit conservative do I search for female Dr. Male or does it really matter. I just really want this to go smooth. I know it really shouldnt matter because this is I want. But I dont want to be refused either.
    And I live in Amish country - horses & buggies all over but there are doctors here too.

I did not worry about whether the doctor was male or female. If they are used to working with TS patients, you will not be a shock to them and they will treat you with respect.

You will probably get "No's" from some places you call, but some will say "Yes." Then you get to pick which one.
    "Impossible" is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try. Kutless - What Faith Can Do
    Quote Originally Posted by My sister Lilli
    Yes, your happy shows - you practically have unicorns and starbursts flying out of you.
    Physically female!

Someone wrote that letter for you; and I would bet that the person who wrote the letter is involved in the TG community, at least as a service provider, and has contacts within the community, at least with other clients. Why not ask your therapist for a referral?

On the other hand - your location info says "quad cities." The U of Iowa, shockingly enough, seems to be pretty active with TG issues, and they have a medical center. I would seriously look at sniffing around there for a competent doctor.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Dr Marcie Bowers: In Denver Co

http://www.marcibowers.com/warning.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    Why not ask your therapist for a referral?
    I was waiting for someone to say that. I'm a little surprised that he or she didn't go ahead and do that. I never saw any letter, aside from my carry letter, which I lost a few months ago, while carrying it.

Hugs,

Melissa