Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened in mid-life?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

What happened in mid-life?

This one may be for the more, uh, senior members of the forum.

I started dressing fairly young and was pretty active through high school. As I got into college I was still dressing when I had the chance, but it seems that the opportunites and desire diminished. I would often go a couple of years between times when I would dress. Work, family, more school, activities with friends were all part of the mix, but they were always there anyway. I still had time alone, but crossdressing just didn't enter my mind very often. Then in my early 40's it started coming back and now I'm dressing more than ever.

The question is in two parts I guess. First, does this pattern seem familiar to any of you? Second, what happened? Do you think it was just a lack of opportunity or were there other things going on in life that eliminated the desire/need to dress? Is there something that happens in the brain or with our hormones that change our desires on this? I'm just trying to put this in perspective and can't figure out what was going on during that period of my life.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

*nods*

"What happens at midlife" is probably the crux of someone's entire life.

I could write several hundred thousand words about what happened at midlife for me.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

I think in my case it was the lack of opportunity and trying to be the good daddy. Later on I felt it was my time to be myself.

Smile

work.

bills.

more work.

taking care of my mom.

more work.

more bills.

now it is time for my self.....not much left.

enjoying every sunrise anew.

[SIZE="2"]Yes, all the above. [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

All of the above plus as I have matured I have become more relaxed in my own skin. Add to that I care less about what other think about me.

love to understand

As all the ladies have writen there seem to something speical that we have been given. ,And now is our times to enjoy those dreams, As long as we stay speical to ourselfs and not in any way make our loveones and others unhappy. The desire as now taken over so why not make the best of it and go shopping,

trish

My crossdressing has followed similar patterns. I think time and responsibilities certainly played into it. But we were also probably afraid to embrace this side of ourselves and put our efforts into having a "normal" life. As we get older, we realize how short life is and begin to appreciate each day a little more. I've always been able to appreciate and celebrate the differences in others and have finally gotten to a point in my life where I can embrace my own. And, like many others here, I see this side of me as a plus, not a negative. I just wish I could have gotten to this point in my life with a more youthful body.

Wendy

Macho may not be the way to satisfaction...

I believe that it comes on stronger for us at midlife for many reasons as mentioned. In addition,we often realize that life is getting shorter and we should be able to live it as we want in combination with a drop in our T level.Seeing the various failings of macho characters also makes us question the "typical male life" and whether it brings the happiness some think it does. I have had a life full of worldwide adventures and misadventures,I am tired of "boy stuff"...I have had my fill. Rather play pretty as a girl!

Definitely can relate to what everybody has written. I just wish I had told my wife sooner. I still don't have many opprotunities, but I make the most of them. I still like some of the "man" stuff like riding my Harley and such, but I'm really liking my femme side the past 10 or so years.

CD Life Long

Good question, Sarah. I agree with the other girls who have replied. My CDing never really went dormant, though in earlier days several times I wished it would just go away.

In pre-school days I became aware of the pretty things girls wore and wanted something pretty too. Thru grade school, high school and college I dressed when opportunity presented itself, but there were many competing activities.

After college I took a job 1,000 miles away and had my own apartment. I acquired some lingerie and a few dresses and shoes such as I could afford.

In a few years I married. In those days I “knew” CDing was a no-no and so I couldn’t bring myself to tell my wife. Instead, I wished ever harder that I could “outgrow” CD. Of course, everyone here knows that doesn’t happen, and it sure didn’t for me. Until I was “discovered” 35 years later, I dressed sporadically when there was opportunity. Occasional business trips helped. All that time I never lost my need to dress. I just kept it in the closet.

After discovery my wife slowly became accepting so I could openly dress inside the house. Now at age 70 she has passed on, and alone in the house, I dress most every evening, which is what I really have wanted to do for at least the past 50 years.

No, CDing didn’t go away only to return later. It has always been part of me. And now, older and wiser, I can enjoy dressing without the guilt, shame and conflict of days long gone by.

Daisy

Once i started (which was very young) the desire never stopped and i would dress i some form or another whenever i could always finding some excuse to at least put on a skirt just for fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I think it has more to do with circumstances and not age maybe. My urge to CD has always been there but the chances to do it and to risk being found out has impacted my dressing. I've been through the trying to stop and filling my life with a wife and a child but the CDing has come back with a vengeance over the last year as well as the gender confusion I've always felt.

Aspiring Member
    Sarah, it sounds like we could be sisters. Your descriptions fit me almost perfectly.

Life pretty much got in the way rasing three kids and everything that goes along with that.

At this point, I'm out to my better half for a little over two years. It's like making up for some lost time, the times I knew I just couldn't do it.

Moreso, I've decided after giving up so much for so long, it's time to be a little selfish and indulge myself more.
    It's not so bad to say "me" for a change, is it?

About the same for me. Lot's of things going one when I was younger and now it is time for me.

I dress way more now than when I was younger.
    I'm not afraid to shop for myself, I guess I don't care what, if anything, anyone cares.
    Keely

One of the Reds

bron
    "I still like some of the "man" stuff like riding my Harley and such, but I'm really liking my femme side the past 10 or so years." Thats me to a tee....the day i bought my harley was the day i went to my first cd meeting. What a day! Macho in the morning when i picked the harley up......very fem at night for the cd meeting....

The story you tell, sounds like my life exactly. Now I guess I am past the mid-life stuff. And like Keely, I am dressing more then ever. I just don't care what people think. This is me, it is my life and this makes me happy.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I agree. Earlier in life I was so busy taking care of everyone else, I didn't have time for me. Now that the kids are grown and I'm divorced, it's time for me. My femme side seems to get stronger every day. Dressing is wonderful but almost becoming secondary now a days. I love my girly time even if I don't dress the part.

Jasmine

Simple really, we wised up.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

yup, it certainly sounds like a familiar story. I dressed a little as a very young child (pre-school age), then went dormant for years. Never had the desire or even consciously thought much about dressing until my wife and I started living together when I was in my mid-twenties. I don't know if that was because of the availability of women's stuff or what, but, at that time, it was all about sexy lingerie and sexual turn-on. Over the years my urges have morphed into makeup, wigs, breast forms and 'age appropriate' presentation. I still sometimes get a sexual turn on from dressing, but it's not really a main focus of my dressing any more.

Banned Read only
    Yes, the pattern is very familiar. As a medical person, the first thing I thought of when you posted your question was, "hmm, that time course also parallels the rise, plateau, and fall of testosterone levels in men". What does it all mean?

later in life..........

After age 50 or so.... I think I got tired of the "secret". I explained to my wife that the time had come to stop the tension. She had known Emme for 25 years and I finally got the point across that Emme is just me. I compared myself to my testosteone laden brothers and she "saw my point'. The fact that I vacuum, make lots of money and do most of the house work. (because I want to!) she keeps me around. She even goes with me to live in the AK bush from time to time.
    Now I dress almost all the time I am not at the office. I can't get enough LOL that's not new!

Love to all.

PS: I had no desire to dress during Navy boot camp as a kid! Wonder why?? LOL
    If you feel the need to explain yourself. Smile and Educate. Be proud of who you are!

."ALWAYS, SIT, SPIN, AND TUCK ONE FOOT BEHIND THE OTHER....NEVER CROSS YOUR LEGS"

Emme as in "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    *nods*

"What happens at midlife" is probably the crux of someone's entire life.

I could write several hundred thousand words about what happened at midlife for me.
    Wen!!! Midlife??? YOU!?!?!?! No way...

i used to joke about it, but not anymore....this whole midlife thing really impacts people, and its often when people realize that their lives are not going the way they want, or that a particular thing is missing..in our case, its pretty obvious what was missing.

i wonder what kinds of crazy things people do at midlife...

i felt it was my last chance...now or never...so i picked now.

It appears many of us are in the same boat. My crossdressing has been put on the back burner for decades. Good father, husband, community member, son etc and I still am. However, at middel age we realize how little time we have left. I am starting to do more at this age because it is my life. This includes underdressing, shopping a little more and participating more on this site. I expect to expand it more in the coming year. I am more convinced that it is not when we are young we discover ourselves, it is when we realize we are mortal.

Well I think a lot of it has to do with being more accepted, remember, when most of us in our 50's and older started this there was no internet, no groups, or forums like this one. We, well at least I, thought I was pretty much alone in the desire to be girly. While younger I tryed to be what everyone said I should be, a manly man. But now we all know there are many like us, we have seen crossdressing accepted on TV, (aka Rue Paul) and many others. I am also sure as some stated testrone has had a hand in our own mind set as to our crossdressing. Whatever it is I am just more at ease with dressing and being in public and don't really care what the reason is.