Thread: Full acceptance at a thrift store (and new wedding dress)

Full acceptance at a thrift store (and new wedding dress)

To quote a pop star "Oops, I did it again!"

I wasn't planning on buying anything today, but came home with a new wedding dress. What am I going to do with TWO!

Let me start from the beginning. I was out taking care of a few errands far from home today. I was in drab, but fully underdresses (bra, forms, tights, etc). I wasn't even planning on doing any shopping but as I cut across a side street I noticed that a consignment store that always seems to be closed was open. I couldn't resist the urge to stop in and just browse around.

I do go out fully dressed and have no problem shopping when I do, but for some strange reason, I'm still nervous browsing through the women's section of any store when in drab. Probably kind of a 'you aren't supposed to be here' vibe. I decided before stepping into this store that I wasn't going to make any excuses OR explain myself in any way. I was just going to shop and let whatever happened happen.

There was only one middle-aged woman running the store. She glanced up at me as I walked in then went back to her work. I headed right for the racks of dresses, skirts and blouses, determined to not hide what I was doing at all. I picked over the racks pretty well but didn't find anything I really needed that was in my size.

Then I spotted a rack full of wedding dresses. Those who have read some of my other posts will remember my search for a wedding dress last fall. I finally found one that I 'made do' though the top was a bit too small. I decided to browse through these ones to see if there was any chance that there was anything in my size.

The other one I'd gotten was an 18, so I figured I really should be looking for a 20 or even 22. None of the dresses had any size lables I could find, so I strolled over to the woman and asked her for help. She showed no reaction at all to me being interested in the dresses and came over to help me look for sizes. I don't know at what point it dawned on her that I was shopping for ME, but when we found one that was a 22W and I asked her where her fitting room was, she directed me to it without batting an eye.

Well, the fitting room was just a corner of the store with a folding cloth screen blocking it off. Not only that, but the screen only came p about chest height to me! So there was no way to 'hide' the fact that I already had a bra and forms on under my shirt as I pulled it off.

I stepped into the dress and it slipped right up. I got my arms in the sleeves, but could not reach the zipper. I asked her for a some help. I'm sure the band of my bra was in full sight as she did so, but the only thing she talked about was the fact that the string of the price tag kept getting snagged in the zipper so she apologized that it took her so long to zip me up.

I felt things getting more and more snug as she zipped and was resigning myself to the fact that it wan't going to fit when suddenly she stepped back and said "There you go". Done!

There were no mirrors in the changing 'room' so I had to step out to find one. She was with me and we chatted about the dress and how it fit while I looked at myself in the mirror. The sleeves of the dress were 'off the arm', so my bra straps were in full view. (I guess I'll have to dig out my white strapless bra for this!)

When we were done talking, I had to ask her again for help getting the zipper down. I was just a BIT startled when the zipper went down.. and down... and down a LOT further than I thought it would. I'll put it this way, I don't think I had any secrets about the kind of panties I had on when she was finished lowering the zipper!

I guess the point of this entire story was that even though I was there totally in 'guy' mode except for the underdressing, which became obvious to her as things went on, she didn't treat me ANY differently that I would suspect she would have treated any GG looking at the same dresses.

Who knows what she may have told her spouse or friends afterward... but that doesn't matter to me. All I know is that I was made to feel welcome and wanted.

Come to think of it, I glimpsed some nice handbags. I'll have to visit again to check those out. And I'm sure her inventory of dresses and skirts changes pretty regularly. I think I've found a new place I'll need to visit every time I'm passing through that town.

edit: Sorry no face on the photos. I didn't have time for makeup and a shave tonight and think the heavy beard shadow would have ruined the effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cristi; 02-01-2010 at 01:15 AM.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

A very pretty dress and it looks like it fits you really well.

Looks very good around your shoulders. I did a similar thing last October, I find the middle age woman the coolest! they have experience and are fun to interact with. Generally, the really young inexperienced girls are a bit shocked (like eww...a guy my dad's age was buying a dress) and the older women (found in large department stores) don't think it is proper and may even tell you as much...there are always exceptions though...I feel most comfortable dealing with the middle age women.

For trying on my dress I under dressed exactly like you did. I forgot about the zipper problem and in my case a young girl was working (she already seemed shy about me just looking at the dresses and when I was in the dressing room I could hear her say something to a friend who came in about guys doing drag) so I couldn't bring myself to call her for help. I measured it with a tape and held the zipper together as best I could. Luckly the fit was good. The only thing I noticed was the breasts were higher than where I normally wear mine (designed for a younger woman I guess). For the bra, I got some clear plastic straps (my dress has some see through lace on the back).

What to do with the dress?...It was great for halloween, but not exactly every day wear. I've been thinking about doing a 'trash the dress' photo shoot.

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Yeppers those places rock for trans people. Re-sale shops also are incredible.

When I began transition I was living in Tennessee. There was a local re-sale shop that was awesome. I could go in there and the teenage girls that worked there honed in on what I liked in minnutes and once I was in the changing room there was a never ending deliverly of clothing for me to try on. The funny thing is these girls KNEW exactly what I wanted and the only roadblock was the size test.

In any case if you are ever in Smyrna Tennessee and want an awesome re-sale shop let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally2005 View Post
    What to do with the dress?...It was great for halloween, but not exactly every day wear. I've been thinking about doing a 'trash the dress' photo shoot.
    Same here. I wore my 'older' one (from my profile photo) to a wonderful party on halloween, but though I love it, it doesn't really fit at my torso and I'm probably never going to get down to that size again. So I've also been thinking of a 'trash the dress' shoot.

The thing is... though I have great photo equipment (I do some work for $$) I can't be the photographer AND the bride. Too bad we can't get a group together somehwere with a pool or something and takes turns being the photographer and the 'bride'.

In fact, that would be a wonderfully fun time. A 'bridal party' with everybody in their best finery, ending with trash the dress photo shoots.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Wow, what an interesting story! I also like to shop at thrift stores (in both boy and girl mode) but I've never been so "out there" or obvious with my intentions as you were. It's good to hear that all went well, and I do agree that somewhat older sales assistants are probably more likely to take it all in their stride.

I must admit I do have a fondness for wedding dresses myself, and would love to own one just to spend time in it hanging out at home. All that taffeta and masses of petticoats and skirts, I love it!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Very nice indeed.

btw, a girl can't have too many wedding dresses. I think that even my wife bought 4 before she got the one she liked for our wedding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thrift stores are a great place to get some interesting clothing. That could be why I have my own.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better