Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Code 1 in Sears

Unless you hear "security to ___, guy with an Uzi!" don't worry about the announcements. You're not doing anything wrong ( unless you're thinking of buying a beige outfit, in which case stopping you would be a service to society ).
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aggi123 View Post
    Caroll, does Sears have LP that often? I work LP for Giant, LLC, and in the past year, of all of the people in my group, three of them have come from Kmart ( i know it's not sears, but didn't enron buy sears a couple years ago? ) Saying they were laid off or had their LP status mixed up like, 24 hours in LP, and 16 hours in shoes. I was often wondering if Sears did the same thing and maybe you could clarify that =P

There are all kinds of codes that happen, for example, when I'm working, I ask the pharmacists if they can page, "Mr. Walker, please return to the pharmacy, your prescription is ready." (no, my last name isn't Walker =P) when they see something suspicious. Before I worked Loss Prevention and was a customer service manager, the management asked me to page every hour "security scan zone (random letter)."

It is true, our job relies heavily on stats. My goals is 150 shoplifters this year. Also, I've made myself very known some days in case someone looks like they might cause trouble. They might not be doing anything, but I don't want to risk it, especially since I've been assaulted twice and I've been doing this job less than a year. Sorry for my rambled, convoluted post.
    Kmart bought Sears quit a while age. As far as LP, we Have our own LP and that's all they do. I can not get specific about how many or the operations part of it, but they do watch cameras and walk around like a customer.
    Drumming, My other hobby

The number one thing I've caught people stealing is Gillette Fusion Razor Blades. Just an FYI =P

Thank you, Carroll! Must just be our location then.
    removed

sometimes "code 1" at some stores means "we're getting backed up at the registers, associates get your butts up here to help out the customers", but they use codes so you don't realize.. When I worked at kohl's in the shipping/recieving department, we were "99", so when they say "99 to the checkout", that usually means they have a heavy item that the customer needs assistance with.

Code Yellow means "somebody come relieve me because I need to pee."

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    my gut feeling is that they are simply random announcements to keep potential shoplifters on their toes.
    Worked in retail for many years in the 70's and 80's. Our security would do "codes" to scare off anyone thinking about shoplifting. Some places are very specific "ladies shoes" while others just do random codes and area lables that don't mean anything.
    Sally

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    You wouldn't be far wrong actually... not after what I deleted (you really do not want to know)!!
    This statement holds all to be told of what you deleted... No it was nothing I posted but talking about shoes and DNA... one can quickly guess.

Now about security -
    Security guards are not cops. They have no more authority than anyone. My two best friends work in security and they are just deterrents. Some can look pretty intimidating with the uniforms but they are no different than you or me.

About "protien spill" - yeah that was a great thing ro read about when I was TRYING to eat. Besides, I thought it was called "tossing your cookies" or "losing your lunch". We will argue this later.

Code 1 meaning someone is actually buying something? I can see the rest of the protocol - "...make sure to cashier is not sleeping in the breakroom... there is an actual customer".

To test the codes - just start going section to section and see if they call the code in each area. maybe get right between two section and play hopscotch. "Code ? in appliances, wait, sheos, no wait, applicances, no wait! shoes again..."
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Time was...

Quote Originally Posted by jo_ann View Post
    sometimes "code 1" at some stores means "we're getting backed up at the registers, associates get your butts up here to help out the customers", but they use codes so you don't realize.. When I worked at kohl's in the shipping/recieving department, we were "99", so when they say "99 to the checkout", that usually means they have a heavy item that the customer needs assistance with.
    ...when calling "No. 99" for assistance meant putting hockey great Wayne Gretzky back into play to help the Edmonton Oilers win their run of four Stanley Cups back in the '80's before he moved on to the L.A. Kings and finally into part ownership and coaching the Phoenix Coyotes .

I worked at Kmart during the Christmas season, the only thing we had for security was a lady walking around watching (LP) but she called us guys if she saw anything. They called every half hour to scan and record Department #__ but there was no scanning or recording going on. but it kept the thieves on their toes like a 5in pump.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Girly Zone.
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/Staci Grace

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    This statement holds all to be told of what you deleted... No it was nothing I posted but talking about shoes and DNA... one can quickly guess.
    You wouldn't go shopping for clothes again if I told you... it's certainly put me off shopping, to think a person could even do that!!! [SIZE="1"]*waits for all the PM's asking lol*[/SIZE]
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Way back when .. oh so long ago as teen .. when stores didn't have a person guarding the change rooms, I grab a pair of men's pants and then grab a dress. I'd conceal the dress under the pants and saunter off to the men's change room. Every time I'd hear a ding-ding or 'attention associates' I'd imagine that the next thing I'd hear was 'crossdresser in the men's change room'.

I also had this fear that every time I'd step in a department like lingerie I'd hear 'Attention KMart shoppers, crossdresser in the lingerie department'

I had a weird imagination

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Two responses on this topic:

1. The worst shopping experience I had was at Sears. I asked the SA if I could try on a blouse I really wanted and was told I could. Then the manager came and knocked on the door and loudly proclaimed that next time I should go to the men's side because it might make their women customers nervous about a man in the women's dressing room. (Normally I wouldn't have a problem being asked to use the men's side and I was in drab but I asked first before I went in.)

2. At walmart after entering the men's side with what were obviously dresses and blouses I had every intention of buying if they were the right size I heard "CSM to the men's fitting room." I decided to pay it no heed and finished trying on the things I wanted. I decided if I was the problem I would make them bring it to my attention and let them make the first move.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfire Jade View Post
    I try stuff on in the good will all the time, in guy mode. And If this happened to me I wouldn't care. I would continue to do what I was doing.
    I used to try on stuff in guy mode as well - but at now that i'm almost 1/2 century old, it's too creepy for even me to digest. I was in 3 different sears stores in the past two weeks trying stuff on (but dressed as Mel). Not a single person even looked at me, let alone followed me. I felt sort of bad not buying, but I didn't find anything that really flattered me. I DID have a good time trying it all on in the dressing room though. Something about checking the fit in one of those panoramic mirror setups gets me excited! I do worry about someone barging into my dressing corral though.

You wouldn't go shopping for clothes again if I told you... it's certainly put me off shopping, to think a person could even do that!!! [SIZE="1"]*waits for all the PM's asking lol*[/SIZE]
    I wish I didn't see it before you deleted it......

Quote Originally Posted by JodyCD View Post
    I wish I didn't see it before you deleted it......
    I hear ya... I wish I'd never read it, I'll never try anything on in shops again... and wash it a few times at least before I wear it
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Wait? What? What did I miss? *sends Tamara a pm just to bug her*
    jk I won't
    Merry

HRT since 2009

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    In a similar vein; my daughter used to work part-time at Circuit City, in customer service. Sometimes customers would return some piece of electronics, complaining that it didn't work. Often the service folks would find that it was something like not being plugged in. When the customer returned to pick up their product, the repair department would write "ID-10T" error on the invoice...

O
    I have heard other codes used as well The sad part is what will the store do when people pick up the items and see they are called and "IDIOT"

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll View Post
    I am a current employee of Sears. Since I am not a cashier I rarely use the codes and have to look them up so know I will most likely get it mixed up but here it goes:

Code 1: Cashier assistance need
    Code 2: Manager needed
    Code 3: Change needed

Calling store Loss prevention is something completely different.
    I figure it was that and usually its because a SA is on break and the back up needs to come. I have heard codes like IC3, IC4 which mean I see # people in one line. I used to know the Target codes but I have forgotten them and I only remember "code" which meant if you are register trained get you tail up front NOW! that was even for those who worked in the stock room too!

Most retail codes are called during the first 3-4 hours of the stores opening and 1-2 hours before close due to lower staff counts during those hours. Also during those hours in off holiday seasons. The AP/LP departments are working double time in the slow times as well as staff shoplifters! I did a stint as a LP person for another now gone company and watch the employees more than the customers

Banned Read only
    I was in 3 different sears stores in the past two weeks trying stuff on (but dressed as Mel). Not a single person even looked at me, let alone followed me.
    You're pretty safe in Sears. They have no employees anymore.

I appologise for violating any site rules in my original post and for causing any discomfort to anyone who may have read the unedited post. For concern for you all I'll be more discrete next time. The only reason I mentioned my absolutely disgusting behavior was to explain why I did not want to be confronted by any security and why I left the store in a hurry. By the way, I have read many posts on this site which discused similar results to my trying on clothes. There is currently a thread about getting excited by photos of oneself and see oneself in the mirror.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 02-13-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I deleted that the first time you wrote it... write it a third time and see where that gets you!!

Banned Read only
    What you never want to hear:

[SIZE="3"]"Cleanup in lingerie" [/SIZE]

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda G View Post
    You're pretty safe in Sears. They have no employees anymore.
    That is almost a true statement. Hours given to a person actually vary by department. One is based on how many credit apps one gets, another is based on protection agreements that one can sell, another is based on the how many items are projected in the next delivery truck and yet another is based on projected hours to complete tasking for the week. Then hours are added to the total store based on profits from the previous year and projected profits for the week. But wait, there's more. You know there survey everybody wants you to fill out after you purchase something at Sears? Hours are given to the ones that get 100's.

A bit of info on those surveys. The only way for a person to get a 100 is if you click "extremely satisfied" on the first three questions. If you have a complaint or comment, there is a place to jot down your thoughts and rest assured, at least in my store, every single comment, good or bad, is read and posted in the break room for all to read.
    Drumming, My other hobby

I work at a supermarket and we have codes for all kinds of things, that surprisingly are standard across all the stores.

Things like "Grocery Service 20 to location 5" means a grocery assistant is needed for help, 40 is a price enquiry.

Then you have different codes for different phone lines, clean up codes, and a security code which means get your ass to whatever location as there is a theft in progress, or someone getting aggressive.

We have LPO (Loss Prevention Officers) but they don't make any calls and will follow suspects.

Caught one girl who had removed a pair of underpants, and was putting them on in the shop, I wasn't privy to the search obviously, but needless to say she had a few pairs of knickers on.

If you look suspicious the worst they are likely to do is follow you to make sure you don't steal something.

I believe there are probably a few CD/TG that are too embarressed to buy something so may result in them shoplifting, and that would make LPO's and security wary.

I use to fret when shopping, but just recently I've gone and bought quite a lot of clothing without even batting an eyelid.

It's a case of looking like you belong there.

Honey.
    Save the internet - use recycled pixels
    The Only Tag that is worth having is the one for the dress you're looking at buying - and even that's not always 100% correct

I hear ya... I wish I'd never read it, I'll never try anything on in shops again... and wash it a few times at least before I wear it
    I worked at a KMart when I was a teenager, in the womens department, and we would get panties back, wow.. We would have to put things back on the shelf from a cart that the customer service desk would bring us, full of returns, and we were told to put things on hangers and look things over before we returned it to its proper place...

crusty, that's the one word I will use for some items, those, thank goodness, we were told to throw away...

I'm not sure if this applies, but a friend of mine who works in photofinishing in a Walmart says that most of the announced codes mean that there is no security in that area. Not that there should be any going to the area, just that there isn't.
    It has no bearing on any customers, or what they may be doing....liken it to a policeman calling in to say he went for a donut.

It happened to me yesterday at Kohl's! I was in the shoe section dressed completely enfemme and heard "Code 1 to shoes." I remembered this thread and continued with my shopping like I didn't hear anything. No one approached me, and I didn't see anyone scoping me out unless you count the GG that kept looking at me like she knew "something wasn't quite right" about me. LOL. That bugged me about as much as the code 1 did. I think that I am to the point now where I could care less what complete strangers at the places I go to enfemme think about me--I am who I am and no one will change that. It's not like they know me.