Thread: Health care for broke a** Indiana TS women?

Gold Member

Health care for broke a** Indiana TS women?

Indiana here.

Well I was talking to a lady on this forum who is in another state, she had mentioned that even for low income TS people, they might be able to get assistance with their HRT.

See, I am wanting to start HRT soon, problem is, no health insurance and really can't just cough up several hundre dollars going doctor to doctor...

My problem is in this that I wouldn't have any idea where to start for all this. I know there is like low income health care but would such things cover HRT or say the mental health doc if I explained I am TS and needing a script for HRT?

thanks.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I spread the love of Bob. Mariah's Avatar
    I'm on wv medicad and all but 1 of my doctors are paid for and only 2 of my meds arnt and they only cost $18. I pay of for trans only health care right now $21/m (pills) and $150 every 6months for an endo. if you lucky like some here your reg doct can do the hrt stuff and then it's the cheap meds (I goto wal-mart for my pills)

Mariah
    Trans platypus, yes I'm a Platypus.
    Start Transitioning:Jan,2007
    HRT: July,2009 2 years ^_^
    Name Change: Sept 28,2010
    Real Life Test/experience: Sept 1,2010- Sept 1,2011 WOOT DONE!!!!!!!! Waiting on my SRS/GRS letters now. ^_^
    2 years full time, Experience that is valuable!

check with your state Dept. of Social Services, they can usually provide insurance with some requirements and possibly financial aid, if needed.
    NOT your girl next door!

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    Look into HIP. If your employer does offer insurance that doesn't really pass as insurance, you can still get HIP, even though the requirements are that your employer doesn't offer insurance. How it happens though, is when you appeal the decision when you are initially denied, you have to prove to them why your employers insurance is unacceptable for your needs. Now, I have my doubts that any trans related issues would get you HIP, but I do not know if depression issues are good enough.

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Now that is a tough one. I will say one thing. It is not uncommon for blood tests to be done once a year. It is also not uncommon to go to the doctor and get scripts for a years worth of hormones. I myself have done just that.

Perhaps a better way to put it is with my own experience.

I began transition on May 15, 08

To this day I have only been to the doctor two times (not counting surgery doctors) for physicals and getting scripts.

Now I did buy a years supply of estrogen when I was in Thailand since you dont need a script over there.

Another trick is to ask for a dosage that is more than you will be taking. By doing so you will extend you time to the next doctor visit.

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Those without insurance do get some coverage in some states. Check with your state's web site and it should be fairly easy to find. Here in Iowa, they will cover doc visits and tests, but very few drugs ( for example, Spiro is the only one covered for me ).

Katesback's suggestions are very good if you have to pay for the doc visits. If you end up on HRT, there is a way to get EV for IM shots very cheaply here in the US ( you'll need a script ). PM me for details if you want.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Indiana here.

Well I was talking to a lady on this forum who is in another state, she had mentioned that even for low income TS people, they might be able to get assistance with their HRT.

See, I am wanting to start HRT soon, problem is, no health insurance and really can't just cough up several hundre dollars going doctor to doctor...

My problem is in this that I wouldn't have any idea where to start for all this. I know there is like low income health care but would such things cover HRT or say the mental health doc if I explained I am TS and needing a script for HRT?

thanks.
    Try this out Erin Good luck hon
    http://http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal?_nfpb=true&locateStateFlow_1 _actionOverride=%2FLocateStateFlow%2Freport&_windo wLabel=locateStateFlow_1&locateStateFlow_1bid=1072 &locateStateFlow_1_code=IN&_pageLabel=gbcc_page_lo cate_state

Minus the triple six.. :)
    Hey corynn, the link won't work for me...try converting it on tinyurl.com. You can convert a very long link to a small one...usually with better results!

There may be a couple of factors making it easier for me that I've been forgetting to mention...

Firstly my real name is very rare and androgynous. Like if my name was John, insurance may ask "Why does John need estrogen?"

Secondly, my doctor makes sure she conveniently leaves out the fact that I'm trans in her paperwork. I've never seen an endo, she handles all of my hrt. Next Friday I have an appointment with her, and I'll ask her if she's keeping me "under the radar", so to speak, or not.

I don't want to lead anyone to believe that state gov supports paying for hrt, when I'm not quite sure myself. Before I began hrt, and was gathering information beforehand, I called S.A.G.A.(Southern Arizona Gender Alliance) and a nice lady there told me that AZ will not pay for any trans related medical issues, so I'm not sure what the truth is. The lady as SAGA seems like she should know, but here I am getting it paid for, which I hope talking on the internet about it somehow doesn't jinx me!!!

Hope I helped!

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar
    Keep us posted. It is an interesting issue. One could always try going to the internet or Mexico for the meds. But, without Dr's. care it might be pretty risky.
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi Wyne View Post
    Keep us posted. It is an interesting issue. One could always try going to the internet or Mexico for the meds. But, without Dr's. care it might be pretty risky.
    The meds aren't that expensive,or hard to get, from what I've learned, it's the doctor visits, therapist visits, blood work and follow ups that add up more....I may be wrong. I should put that in my signature "I may be wrong" lol

Gold Member
    yeah I thought of getting them on a certain site for neds but I kind of think even though it would be good now, I don't want to risk my health in the long run.

I am in good health now and stuff but yeah I am just seeing what is available.

My male name is not androgynous though.

Also yeah I could not get that link to work either, even after getting rid of the extra http

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    As far as meds go, try to get generics and have them prescribed to Walmart, and they only cost four bucks. I think Target also has super cheap generics.

I could of sworn I read online somewhere that the APA had worked it so that GID was now considered a disease and that HRT and SRS were considered treatments and insurance companies couldn't balk anymore and finally cough that dough up. Then again, I haven't been firing on all pistons the past week and could be wrong.
    Existence is suffering; Life is pain; Nicotine makes everything tolerable

Gold Member
    Well I checked with one therapist who does gender counseling and it looks like it would take 6 or 7 sessions at $90 a shot before I could get a letter for HRT.
    Then there would be the regular doc (or maybe an endo) and I don't know yet if any of them take the insurance I am on (something provided by the state.)

I know the meds themselves are not overly expensive, I think spiro is like $4 a month which is nothing and not sure about the cash price of the estrogen (I am wanting to avoid premarine)

Yeah like I said I know I could get them off some website for less $$$ than what I piss away each month on vending machies and eating out, my big concern is if those meds would be healthy, or even legit. But then who is to say the ones at the pharmacy are not something corrupt, outdated or fake (products get diverted all the time)

Just not sure what to do.

Something else I worry about is long term effects of HRT even with legit stuff. I don't want to die of some strange illness when I am like 50 or 60

But, the quest continues...

I spread the love of Bob. Mariah's Avatar
    if you have state insurince,(also know as Medicad!) any clinic will take it, I go to my local hostiptal myself and I have never paid for the doctor or tests. and I'm on medicad too. even my theripest is part of the hospital so I don't pay for them ether.

Mariah
    Trans platypus, yes I'm a Platypus.
    Start Transitioning:Jan,2007
    HRT: July,2009 2 years ^_^
    Name Change: Sept 28,2010
    Real Life Test/experience: Sept 1,2010- Sept 1,2011 WOOT DONE!!!!!!!! Waiting on my SRS/GRS letters now. ^_^
    2 years full time, Experience that is valuable!

Does anyone know if the VA will provide any assistance (I'm a vet). My biggest block is getting the lab work done at a rate I can afford.
    [SIZE="3"]Terri[/SIZE]
    ------------------------------------------
    [SIZE="2"]"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, The master calls a butterfly!"[/SIZE]

The true measure of a person is in the questions they ask, not the answers they give.

One of the ladies I know gets her hormones through the VA.
    "Impossible" is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try. Kutless - What Faith Can Do
    Quote Originally Posted by My sister Lilli
    Yes, your happy shows - you practically have unicorns and starbursts flying out of you.
    Physically female!