Thread: Medicaid covering hormones?

Medicaid covering hormones?

I'm considering starting on hormones and I have Medicaid here in Maine. It's called Mainecare here though and I can't find any information on it ANYWHERE on the net about Maine specifically covering them. I know that Medicaid in New Hampshire does, though. No one knows what I'm considering I just need to know whether they do or not. Thanks
    Last edited by lingerieluver; 02-13-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

I spread the love of Bob. Mariah's Avatar
    wv Medicaid paids for Spiro, but any "gender spasphic" drugs are not, so
    Estrodal and progar aren't. Most state medicad is set up like this. glad to know NH is diffrent.

Mariah
    Trans platypus, yes I'm a Platypus.
    Start Transitioning:Jan,2007
    HRT: July,2009 2 years ^_^
    Name Change: Sept 28,2010
    Real Life Test/experience: Sept 1,2010- Sept 1,2011 WOOT DONE!!!!!!!! Waiting on my SRS/GRS letters now. ^_^
    2 years full time, Experience that is valuable!

Silver Member
    Yes, it will cover hormones, but you HAVE to get a prescription from a doctor. Medicaid does not ask WHY you are on a covered med, just that a physician has prescribed it.

Hormones are on the formulary because many women take them postmenopausaly.

However, you will find that buying your hormones from WalMart on their $4 per month plan is FAR cheaper than any other route. I have a very good medical plan from my employer, and $4 is cheaper than my co-pay (by a lot). Hormones, contrary to most guys expectations, are NOT expensive.

Stephie

Mainecare (or Medicaid) is the only health insurance that I have. I don't work full time I only work part time so I don't have a plan through my employer. I'm guessing they won't cover SRS correct?