Thread: Inner Child Therapy

Inner Child Therapy

Hiya all,any one had this in therapy?

Not in formal therapy. I don't like therapists. But I did read Toxic Parents by Susan Forward - a very good book that deals with that sort of thing. I recommend it.

Here's something you can do for starters:
    1. Close your eyes and imagine the adult you is holding and comforting the child you.
    2. Imagine the adult you is going back in time and standing up for the helpless child you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne66 View Post
    Not in formal therapy. I don't like therapists. But I did read Toxic Parents by Susan Forward - a very good book that deals with that sort of thing. I recommend it.

Here's something you can do for starters:
    1. Close your eyes and imagine the adult you is holding and comforting the child you.
    2. Imagine the adult you is going back in time and standing up for the helpless child you.

Hi Anne,thanks for the advise i have tried no2 before,and it felt good but this is deep and i am a little scared of being thought of as a fantasist,or having a personality problem BPD etc,when i have relay felt at peace somewhat just lately with expressing my female side to society,i relay do not want to be put back by anything,it may help i do not know,you don't have to answer this,as giving advice on this is hard,i just had to get it out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by katieblush View Post
    i am a little scared of being thought of as a fantasist,or having a personality problem BPD etc
    It's something very personal that you're doing for yourself. You don't have to discuss it with anyone, so if they don't know, they can't think anything of you one way or the other... Their opinion is not what matters anyway. Yes, it might help. I think it's at least worth a try. I think once you get started you will find there's nothing to worry about. Maybe it would help to Google the subject and research it a bit. It will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne66 View Post
    It's something very personal that you're doing for yourself. You don't have to discuss it with anyone, so if they don't know, they can't think anything of you one way or the other... Their opinion is not what matters anyway. Yes, it might help. I think it's at least worth a try. I think once you get started you will find there's nothing to worry about. Maybe it would help to Google the subject and research it a bit. It will be okay.
    Thank you Anne,i will give it a go,this journey is taking me to places i did not know even existed,good and bad.

I've found that I could not fully relate to my SO at the level that satisfied me until I was able to relate to her 'inner child.' It's oddly coincidental that this didn't happen until recently.

We're doing an 'age regression' phase now, and 'altering' to that purer image, and my wife is, almost mgically, a much happier person already, and feels 'understood' at that core level. When someone understands you and relates on that level, it can feel like what you've been waiting for your whole life.

It's definitely valuable. In many ways, the 'inner child' can be the key to someone's personality, at least to understanding it.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

I think I need this. o_O But I hadn't even been aware of its existence.

Thanks for asking the question, Katie, and thanks to the responders. I'm going to go check out that book, maybe bring it up with my current therapist if I stay with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    I've found that I could not fully relate to my SO at the level that satisfied me until I was able to relate to her 'inner child.' It's oddly coincidental that this didn't happen until recently.

We're doing an 'age regression' phase now, and 'altering' to that purer image, and my wife is, almost mgically, a much happier person already, and feels 'understood' at that core level. When someone understands you and relates on that level, it can feel like what you've been waiting for your whole life.

It's definitely valuable. In many ways, the 'inner child' can be the key to someone's personality, at least to understanding it.
    Wen4cd hi,thanks for that,its going to be a interesting trip

Quote Originally Posted by Ze View Post
    I think I need this. o_O But I hadn't even been aware of its existence.

Thanks for asking the question, Katie, and thanks to the responders. I'm going to go check out that book, maybe bring it up with my current therapist if I stay with her.
    Ze hiya,wish you well with your research good luck