Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Rejecting Crossdressing

Platinum Member
    I'm entirely ok with the term Transgendered. I know we each represent unique combinations of charcteristics representing some point in the spectrum of transgenderism. Cross dressing may be a bit more to one end, than the other.

But as MajestyK suggests, lables don't or shouldn't entirely define us either.

Untitled
    IMHO it does not matter which term is used, Jo/Joe Public has a perception of this community, which we, as a community have to dispel.

There are many reasons why the image we have is a negative one, but I believe that the WWW is now both our biggest ally and biggest enemy.
    The web has opened up the whole world to things which used to be hidden from most, but now, due to its non regulation, anything is fair game. This has meant that despite what the "real" definition of our "labels" are, as defined in any dictionary, what people see, when they type a "transgender label" into a search engine, really defines us to Jo/Joe Public.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    How is that even relevant?
    Oh, I was only agreeing with your point, hence the "roll eyes" smiley, while taking a potshot at the domain admin who would use the URL in such a way.

[SIZE="3"]Of course, Jo/Joe Public, many, including friends i have, who don't know i dress, will ask, the question, "are you gay?". Some will say "pervert", "sick." Tell them, have a nice day! Or, I hope to say, "it is just one side of me." And the beat goes on.[/SIZE]

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I have retired from being a cross-dresser about 2 years ago and if asked in public for an honest answer of what I am I would say a part Time Transgendered Woman or just a girl

I have been speaking on this on my sites for a few weeks and I feel as we grow and become focused on our styles we begin to see ourselves as women and yes cross dressing is used more to describe a M2F and not a F2M. I will not say using the term cross dresser is bad and it is not! I think for me I started as a CD and when I was in those early days I did not interact or go out of the house, those days dressing was about learning the craft which is what I call what I do. When I begin going out I found in the early days that I had no clue on how to be a woman in public and with my height plus my lack of knowing how to act in public I got the "Its a man" comment all the time. I get double takes today! however for the most part I do not look anything like I did in my early days because I decided to consider myself a woman or a trans-woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina66 View Post
    Oh, I was only agreeing with your point, hence the "roll eyes" smiley, while taking a potshot at the domain admin who would use the URL in such a way.
    Oh, I did wonder lol... glad you agree, it's a shame it's being used in such a negative way... I would have bought it had it not been in use :\\

One more thing though, labels are irrelevent to me personally, everyone here is just my family... girls, boys even the fresh water dolphins
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

We have vastly different lifestyles and dressup drives, so one catch-all term (transgendered) doesn't do it for me. I am a part-time dress-for-pleasure crossdresser, and have not transitioned into a lifestyle beyond wearing things traditionally worn only by women. So for those who want to think of themselves as transgendered, fine. I'm a crossdresser.
    Funny how those who make the case for the term transgendered do so on a site named crossdressers dot com. I hope you're not campaining for a site name change.
    Also, the term crossdresser does include FTM folks. If women dress to present themselves as men, the term crossdresser is appropriate, as may be the term transgendered.

Marriage IS a noun. Marry (to marry) is the verb. I'm just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    even the fresh water dolphins
    I wondered what had happened to them as you've not mentioned them for a while. Are they still ok, have they had babies yet?

I don't call myself anything and my friends that know Sherri don't either. The world can call me whatever they want. If they want my respect they'll have to treat me the same way.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    I will accept Transgendered as a label for argument sake. As long as I can still wear the clothing of my choice when I choose too.

Or I will accept the term "normal human man" who sometimes enjoys dressing as a woman.

I just tell people "I'm Zelda, that's all that matters." Whatever other labels you need, that's to help you figure things out. You're not going to ever figure me out
    Last edited by divamissz; 02-23-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Grammar issue
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

I prefer the term 'transgender' as well, especially if talking to the uninitiated. It is a broader term and IMO it is easier to understand. But I do explain that TG is an umbrella term that covers CDs, TSs, and everyone else in between.

But in our own circles, for clarity's sake I do see the necessity for using more specific terms, since each different level within the TG umbrella carries with it its very own concerns and issues.

I know that some people hate the idea of labeling themselves, but if they are not sure where along the TG spectrum they fall, it is perfectly OK for them to say so rather than to discount other people's efforts at achieving clarity.
    Reine

I started as a crossdresser and am satisfied with that terminology. Though I sometimes refer to myself as transgendered. The use of "tranny" to me brings too many negative connotations based on my previous experiences hearing people reference them, normally as the girls working the street corners. I do understand that terminology changes over time as more details are brought out, local practices in word usage and for a myriad of other reasons. that is good so that we do not get too stuck in the past. I believe that labels are good, but not perfect because there are so many variations as the colors in a true rainbow versus a simple one painted in a children's book. A label helps me position someone initially in my understanding of that label. I do not let the label rule my thought process nor acceptance of someone, but rather it gives me a starting point to understanding. Sometimes a label can be completely incorrect. However, I have found for me that the initial understanding has been closer to the true identification than without the label. I am with the others that we should not get so hung up on labels and their use. I prefer the "I am me" approach and let others worry about the correct usage or not of labels.

A hairy dude in a dress Nigella23's Avatar
    I'm a Cabbage White,others are Swallowtails, Monarchs, Gossamer wings and so on. But we're all still Butterflies.
    Until words are used to diminish, belittle, bully, and persecute people, then they are still just words. I have not one care what I am referred as, by people here, in fact I think in some of my previous posts I say i'm a tranny or transvestite, I don't identify personally as being transgendered, but only because it's a term I haven't used regularly.
    I think whatever term you use, the media and Jo/e Public, will use it as a stick to beat you with.
    Normal People Are People You Don't Know That Well

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella23 View Post
    I think whatever term you use, the media and Jo/e Public, will use it as a stick to beat you with.
    I disagree, until we begin to present us in a a different light to what the public see when they hear/view the words then we all lose ............. by using words that Jo/e public is not sure of, t gives us a chance to enlighten and educate instead of turning them away in revulsion, so that has to be a better way surely ............ Words and how we use them are important in life, so we need to use them with care, especially in atmospheres where the wrong words ridicule and repulse us
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    if by using words that Jo/e public is not sure of it gives us a chance to enlighten and educate instead of turning away in revulsion ............ Words and how we use them are important in life, so we need to use them with care, especially in atmospheres where the wrong words ridicule and repulse us

A hairy dude in a dress Nigella23's Avatar
    It wasn't a statement to be agreed or disagreed with, I suppose I didn't make it clear enough. The ignorant, self obsessed, and narrow minded will always be that. Doesn't matter how much education, enlightenment or correct words you use. It would be naive to think anything else. There are kids in schools today who think homosexuality is sick and wrong, and who will beat people to death for it.
    I do agree that it is up to 'us' as a community that needs to change peoples perceptions, for as is said their perception is their reality, whether you or I like it or not. I think our actions can change those perceptions far more than any words can. Imagine if as a community we were featured in the media for doing present drives for local childrens hospitals, fund raising for community projects etc etc, how much would it matter if the headline was, 'Trannys do good', as opposed to 'Transgenders do good'?
    Normal People Are People You Don't Know That Well

I prefer crossdresser. Although I know the meaning of transgendered, in my head I feel it means that I am questioning my gender and of all the things I question my gender is not one of them. I also believe Tamara was right when she said it is more popular in the states. I think it is a state thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Wild Women Never Get The Blues[/SIZE]

Sheila, I love your topic of discussion.

I consider myself to be transgendered. I feel i have been conflicted my whole life. i cross dress because i am TG and i am presenting to the best of my ability as the woman i see as myself. there are so many different people here that dress for different reasons...you and i, and many others may do it because we are transgendered. [ we are somewhere in the middle of that continuum i guess.] don't necassarily need to transition, [ life or death], but need to be able to be that girl whenever possible.

[to answer your 2nd question]. Yes the term Transgendered helped me to explain to my wife and family and friends my need to express myself through crossdressing. before my wife and i saw a therapist she had no idea of what i was going through. this term worked for us..it' is not for everyone, but it worked for us. If it helps you to be in a better place, and it helps you to verbalize where you are in life...then by all means use it.

just my
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

While I think the term Transgender sounds the most suitable even if you have to explain a little more

I think it was best summed up by a Lady who I met in a pub that came over for a chat

It's nice you can get out be yourself
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I agree. I self identify as a CDer (as opposed to TS or anything else) but if I'm ever talking to others who are not in our community, I always say "I'm transgendered".
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

It really doesn't matter Sheila, we can all try to go by our direct labels or group it into one. The end result will be the same , someone is gonna be hurt or will rejected . That is just people ..

Me ( for here only) I will only go under one label and thats the one I gave myself here Lucy_Bella call me what ever you want tho
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Banned Read only
    Me personally, I don't really care one way or another. If anything, I'm just a crossdresser. Ultimately, I don't really care because I don't let anyone in my life know my dirty little secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle76 View Post
    Me personally, I don't really care one way or another. If anything, I'm just a crossdresser. Ultimately, I don't really care because I don't let anyone in my life know my dirty little secret.
    I am sorry but I don't think dressing is a "dirty little secret"

A secret maybe but there is nothing is dirty about it
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    GOTTCHA

actually it is the term I find I am rejecting more and more, I believe it to be too narrow and the words cross dressing and crossdresser conjures up far to many bad images in Joe publics minds ........
    I wear female clothes indoors, I am male, my gender is masculine, it will never be feminine, I am 100% heterosexual. I would feel terribly offended if someone who discovers that I wear fem clothes were to call me transgenedered. I love the phrase crossdressing because that's what I do.