Thread: If you needed to find a roommate

If you needed to find a roommate

I was wondering if any of you have any helpful suggestions or thoughts on finding a suitable roommate.
    Needless to say, being a cross dresser and moving in with someone that "might" see all the feminine things can be a challenge. Aside from other reasons, I'd prefer to find a female roommate or another CD. I am in a relationship with a woman that for now has to remain in another state due to family crisis. No telling when she will be able to move back here to Florida. She knows I will have to move soon and is trusting enough of me to find a Female roommate. But I think she would be more comfortable knowing it is another CD.
    I have posted an ad on Craig's List,, but we all know how many flakes are there. So I'm not being to hopeful for that to work.
    Have any of you ever found an accepting roommate and how did you go about it?
    I'd move to Michigan where my sweetheart is, if it was not for the economy and shortage of jobs. I have a good job here.
    All I want is an accepting roommate that perhaps will become at least a good friend as well. Home is such a private place and I think even a roommate has to be somewhat more then just a business arrangement. I have never had a roommate and don't think I could ever live with someone that is not at least a good friend. Any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share?
    I have an add posted on Craig's list, and so far one bisexual guy and one gay guy have responded. I'm not gay nor do I consider myself bi. So I am wondering if this could pose problems.

I would think that hiding your dressing from a roommate would put a severe damper on things, so it's good that you're being upfront about it in your search. On the other hand, you would effectively be outing yourself to that person and you might not could control the news getting out to others. Are you okay with that? If so, I don't think it matters much about the roomie's gender or sexual orientation as long as the cards are on the table. A gay guy might actually make a great roomie for a CDer, assuming that there isn't a hidden agenda on his part.

Hi Sherri, Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I can imagine what it would be like to have a roommate that did not know you were a CD accidentally find out. It would be awkward at minimum and could end any harmony or friendship. Of course that would depend on how non-judgmental the roommate might be. So yes, I think the only way to even consider a roommate is to be upfront.
    As far as a roommate letting out my secret, well that could happen with anyone I might trust with knowing this side of me. I have always been very careful of who I share this 'secret' side of me with. I don't think it would be any different with a potential roommate. I'd just hope that since they responded to an add I posted, is enough proof that they are OK with it and don't have some sort of hidden agenda as far as outing me to my employer or anyone that it would matter to. I know me, I know I will be picky as to who I might consider rooming with. I'd be picky about a woman, man, gay, bi or whatever. For me there has to be a level of compatibility.

Trista & I have a gay roommate and he's great. he has absolutely no issues with my dressing but he keeps trying to get me to go out to the clubs with him to enter the amateur drag queen contests. The one ground rule I had to lay out to him was "I have no problem with your being gay just as you have no problem with my dressing but , hitting on or making passes at me will get you bounced out of this house faster than you can say Howdy Doody" to which his reply was "don't worry, you're not my type".

So, if you can find a gay guy, who's type you aren't, who's willing to be your roommate you should be in the clear. hope this helps.
    “While clothes may not make the woman, they certainly have a strong effect on her self-confidence — which, I believe, does make the woman."
    Mary Kay Ashe