Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women wearing mens cloths

Women wearing mens cloths

Hello

Darcy Ann again. This post probally will get many different post. I have alot of women friends and the question they ask me why do men wear womens cloths. For that to be answered. I always ask them why do women wear mens cloths and it is different with many women. Oh we do not wear mens cloths, or it is something as we are staying with the times. So why do women think it is not wrong for them to wear mens cloths. But if we wear there cloths or what ever we are freaks. I personally do not see a problem with either sex wearing the opposite sex clothing, than again that is just me.

Love

Darcy Ann

Hi and first of all, it's just a piece of cloth. I don't know what the big deal is, I wear both. Second, they have been doing it for more years. It really started in the forties, during the war. That's WW II. When the men went to war, someone had to stay home and build the war machines. That's where the women came in. They used to call her Rosie the Riviter. She couldn't work in the factories in a dress or skirt, so she wore pants, actually overhauls and a shirt, mens attire, to do a mans job. And by doing so, she was being patriotic.
    But on the other hand, if a man slipped on a nice silky dress, nylons and a cute pair of heels, he couldn't use the excuse, he had to make coffee for the boss. I don't know how you could say he was patriotic. Not quite the same.
    I guess we have a lot of catching up to do.

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Question Of course women 'CrossDress'!

Darcy Ann,

I've a theory that women 'crossdress' more then men do. In order for women to succeed in the corporate/business world, they had to take on masculine styles and attitudes.

Think about it, how many notably feminine women are at the top of companies today? Except for maybe fashion companies or Martha Stewart, I can't think of any.

So, while they don't dress to PASS as men, they do put on masculine mindsets to interact with the male dominated worlds of busines, politics, etc. Women need to 'pass' as men on the business level.

Being a quiet man at work, I often have to take on macho attitudes to make my views known or motivate other people.

Point is that women often have to 'wear' a masculine mindset to have a career.

Women CD to act like men to 'survive' in the business world.

Men CD to look like women for recreation.

Imagine a female dominated society, to work among a majority of women, would we not want to blend in and be accepted as a peer? Would we not want to conform to succeed? If we did not look or act the part, wouldn't we be taken less seriously?

Hmmm.... More thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Ava Mouse; 08-10-2005 at 11:46 PM.
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

I just read a few pages from the crossdressing book by Helen Boyd called My Husband Betty.

I enjoyed reading the first few pages I decided to order it.

The author portrays a scenario where the wife misses her husband who is away so she rummages through his clothes and tries on his shirts and boxers as she lies in them on their bed. She enjoys the scent and the feel of wearing them. If people got a glimpse of this they wouldn't give it a second thought and actually would find the woman very attractive in her husband shirts and boxers.

Now if the scenario was changed and a guy missed his wife and was rummaging through her drawers and closet for lingerie and clothes and tried on her bra, panties and blouse and enjoyed the scent of her clothes while wearing them and lying in them on their bed people would view it as offensive and sick!

The guy would be judged in a negative way while the woman would be seen as stylish and very attractive!

It is a double standard!

Emmi

Hello

Hello

That is what, most people think that it is wrong for a man to wear womens cloths and not wrong for a woman to wear mans cloths. I do believe in the coparate world that women have to do alot more than men to succeed. But if it was reverse and women were like what men are today. Would women accept men wearing womens busisness cloths to succeed. I say no because most women think it is offensive if we men wear there cloths on a day to day basic.

Love

Darcy Ann

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by darcyann
    Hello

Darcy Ann again. This post probally will get many different post. I have alot of women friends and the question they ask me why do men wear womens cloths. For that to be answered. I always ask them why do women wear mens cloths and it is different with many women. Oh we do not wear mens cloths, or it is something as we are staying with the times. So why do women think it is not wrong for them to wear mens cloths. But if we wear there cloths or what ever we are freaks. I personally do not see a problem with either sex wearing the opposite sex clothing, than again that is just me.

Love

Darcy Ann
    Wooo I'm fully with you there girlfriend!! yeah preach it!!!
    I NEED MORE, HEELS,PANTYHOSE, AND SKIRTS..twitch twitch..

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    A couple points...

Women earned the right to wear masculine clothing by getting out there and doing it. It wasn't that long ago, the Deut. 22:5 was used to proclaim that women in pants were an abomination.

Ava makes a good point about women taking on masculine styles and attitudes to succeed in the working world. On a related note, I think some masculine woman use the greater flexibility of women's fashion to satisfy that side of themselves by dressing more "practical," wearing boy-cut hair, little or no make-up, etc. But in my experience they usually see it as not being "girly" rather than dressing "masculine." Nor do they strap and pack, so it's not quite equivalent to the typical cross-dresser, who wants to pass as a woman and wouldn't be caught dead without wig and breast forms.

Intent makes the cross-dresser more than the clothes. If it was really just about wearing skirts and make-up as guys, we'd probably look a lot more like Eddie Izzard.

Finally, it's a reflection of the sexism and homophobia still present in our society. Adopting the dress of someone who's considered more powerful is empowering. But people are going to look at is strange to want to be like "second class citizens." Plus being "unmanly" is still associated with being gay and being feminine. So even among people who should know better, there's an assumption that a cross-dresser is unmanly and gay.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Ava

Have to agree with you, women are not crossdressing like we do but they are taking advantage of the male image when they wear men's clothing.

There are some women who definitely make a conscious effort to masculine themeslves and corporate women are good examples.

But most women are not in highly competitive business environments but they still wear mens clothes 99% of the time. In this instance I would suggest they are de-emphasing their femininity to become a neutral gender.

There are 2 reasons - firstly most women once they get past their teens and early tweenties think they have lost their looks and believe that they would be "talked" about if they continued to look overly feminine. Their lack of belief in themsleves makes them de-feminize themselves. Basically "my butt/thighs are too large so I cannot wear skirts anymore"

Secondly, both men and women tend to consider feminine women as primarily sensual beings and are not taken seriously - the dumb blond stereotype. Women learn that they are listened to better to if they de-feminize themselves. Its part of maturing from the fun-loving girl into an adult woman.

I think women wearing mens clothes is as much about women moving away from a feminine image as women moving towards a masculine image. Either way they are mentally crossdressing without going to the extreme of true crossdressers who adopt the complete image including changing their body shape.

At the end of the day, it remains an hypocracy for women to disapprove of men wearing feminine clothing, often to the point of utter disgust. Men have adjusted to women's changing behavor and wardrobe but there has been no corresponding movement in women's attitudes to men. But then that is largely our own fault as we have kept ourselves hidden in the closet and have done nothing to push for changes in society.

Hey, i'd just like to point out that women are NOT wearing mens clothes. They are wearing a STYLE of clothing based on mens designs. There is an inherent difference between the two in this respect!

I have womens pant suits myself. The pants are cut to fit (usually very snugly) the femminine body shape at the waist and hips. The jackets are cut narrow at the waist, wider near the hipline, the collar/lapels have many different designs from plunging at the breast to button up at the neckline.

C'mon girls, be real! Just because ladies skirt/pant suit styles are reminiscent of traditional mens suits, it doesn't mean its a straight swap! The ladies versions have a definate femminine appearance to them.

Christine
    Last edited by Clare; 08-11-2005 at 05:01 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Yes, Christine makes an interesting point...
    Women generally dress in clothing made for women, but styled after mens' clothes.
    Womens' jeans are still womens' clothes, even though they are trousers.
    If a bloke wears a kilt, it is technically a "man's skirt."

But here's an interesting thing Eddie Izzard said (sorry to bring him up YET AGAIN, but he makes so many good points): "They're not womens clothes; they're my clothes. I bought them." They're only womens' clothes if they belong to a woman and you borrow them, essentially.

I say, who cares? It really is just cloth pieced together with bits of string. Then again, times have changed. In the Renaissance period it was the men who wore tights and high heels, not the women. Yeah?
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    Precisley , there are no such things really as womens and mens clothes , there just clothes. What once was worn by one is now worn by the other .

I would like to make an assumption here that for most of us it's not necessarily about the clothes themselves but about the way being in those clothes makes you feel. Thoughts ?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

My Facebook Page

Its not just about the way you feel in the clothes, it is also about how others feel about you wearing them.

Today we wear clothes for decoration, we want to convey a message to others. The reason we stay in the closet is because we know cding is socially unacceptable and could have serious implications. So instead we usually have to be content remaining inside our houses.

When we look at ourselves in the mirror, we are admiring the visual message the clothing conveys, in a sense the male us is admiring this new person - the female us - whether this be sexy, classy, demure etc. The projection of this new personality works for us because our male minds are assessing the female image.

Clothes are not just pieces of cloth sewn together, they are part of us and inform others how we would like to be treated. When a man puts on trousers or a woman pulls on a skirt, they do not get any thrill from this, if they are looking in a mirror it is to check that everything is arranged ok and fits correctly etc. Only cders get a thrill from checking themsleves in the mirror.

The hypocrisy is presently women get treated fairly no matter what style they wear, but men dont get the same rights. It is straightforward discrimination.

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Very true Helana. It is descrimination. If only we could do what we want and not be judged (I mean we as a human race, in general)... I mean, people who wear something "unusual" aren't doing anybody any harm.

And it is about the way the clothes make you feel. I've banged on about this, but I really believe that the clothing is simply an outward "display" (if you will-- it's 6 am and I can't think in words) of a perception we have of ourselves, feelings we have, etc.

And it's not entirely true that women get treated fairly no matter what they wear... Think of the story of Brandon Teena (there are countless others like his)... I know an FTM who was recently threatened in a parking lot-- 2 guys approached him and said "I really hate those women who dress like guys."
    I've been hassled plenty (and beaten, slandered... you name it, it's happened to me (excluding serious crime such as assault with a deadly weapon)).

And... I think that people do dress certain ways to feel certain ways. Like, women may put on a short skirt, heels, and low- cut top in order to feel more sexy or confident, or what- have- you. Men may put on a suit to feel more powerful, or to be taken seriously at their job... Trouble is, women have both options (putting on a smart suit to look more classy or professional, or dressing sexy), but there are very few things that men have the option of wearing which make them feel hot or sexy, apart from the club scenes, etc.

So yes, there is a bias, and there is unfairness...

I really do think though, that the more out CDs/ TGs there are, the more accepted it will become. It just takes enough people to have the cajones to be out and do what they want without fear, and without caring what other people think (at least on the outside), and it will be only a matter of time before CDs/ TGs are widely accepted.

But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

Platinum Member
    ok my .02$ worth woman wearing men's clouthing ????? thay do it for simple reasons
    because thay want to , because thay can , and because thay express the freedom to simply weare what ever thay want without careing...this whole issue will drive to nutts if you try to sort it out ...it is because it is.....if you need it explaned then you will never understand.....it just is ....

I don't see a difference in me going into the closet and throwing on one of my SO's shirts to him doing the same to me. I think of it more of a comfort issue... most GG's I know can't wait to get out of their bra after a long day at work, where as a CD can't wait to get home into one. I think it's stupid how some girls react to CD'ing. If they stood back and thought about how many times they've worn men's clothing they would have to agree. But of course, they wouldn't.. because the response would be... "It's just not the same"... WHY?????

Quote Originally Posted by LaceLuvr's GG
    I think it's stupid how some girls react to CD'ing. If they stood back and thought about how many times they've worn men's clothing they would have to agree. But of course, they wouldn't.. because the response would be... "It's just not the same"... WHY?????
    Because they have been socially conditioned to think there is a difference and have never needed to think deeply about the subject to adjust their stance. Men in dresses are weak, gay, perverts, to be mocked at. These are just irrational fears. Why would women NOT think that a man would like to wear something pretty for a change? Answer - because they have never thought of the question before.

I have a very pragmatic view of this. I realize that there are all sorts of people in this world. Most are good people and mean to do good to others but have never bothered to question the conventions they grew up with. And their traditional values are typically not tolerent of others.

Still one billion people will go to sleep tonight on an empty stomach, some will not wake up. Who cares if your next door neighbor cannot understand the subtleties of crossdressing?

I can live with the fact that many people are content to live with a blinkered outlook. They are not bad people at all, they just have not thought things through. But that is true of everybody. What do I know about black issues? What do I know about being disabled?

Until you are forced to confront issues head on usually because of a family member, we all tend to follow conventions even when they are obviously wrong if we had bothered to really think about it.

Wendy -
    I can at .02 cents and say I am on your side of the fence. Simply put they can, they will if the style works for them. It doesn't matter if its for comfort, for need, etc. In a restaurant when my gf is cold, I offer a jacket and she takes it with out hesitation. Don't really see the reverse. She took the jacket b/c it was cold. She wears my boxers because all her panties are dirty. She buys mens running sneakers on occassion because she doesn't like the styles available to her in the women's department.

I've known others to wear and buy mens jeans (not those styled after mens) but mens jeans because they found a pair to fit better...or even to go camping.

It is a piece of cloth.

I mean men wore tights and skirts not too many centuries ago. Men wore wigs...they still do in gov't in England I believe Is all of Parlaiment(sp?) CD'ing?) or just aquiring the attire that is traditionally acceptable for them to go to work?
    - "Dakota"

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy me
    ok my .02$ worth woman wearing men's clouthing ????? thay do it for simple reasons
    because thay want to , because thay can , and because thay express the freedom to simply weare what ever thay want without careing...this whole issue will drive to nutts if you try to sort it out ...it is because it is.....if you need it explaned then you will never understand.....it just is ....
    So many good responses to this thread ladies. My thoughts on this largely tend to agree with my sis Wendy. It is because it is. Much of this goes back to WW II when women had to leave the home to work in the factories doing the jobs that were previously only done by men. This was the beginning of this cultural change. I also agree with Ava that women pretty much had to dress more like men to compete in the business world...whereas men dress like women for recreation.

There is plenty of unfairness on both sides of the fence. Women have had to overcome the "2nd class citizen" status that living in a man's world shackled them with. Is THIS fair and just? Hell no! Men have been socialized and conditioned since birth to never express any qualities that would be considered feminine. Again...is this fair or just?

I'm not sure that the grass is greener on either side of the fence really. Being an individual, and being who you really are, is to me the goal we should all be striving for anyway. Change society one person at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineRenee

I'm not sure that the grass is greener on either side of the fence really.
    My uncle once told a joke about that saying. He said the reason why the grass is greener on the other side of the fence is because it was full of cow dung. You still want to take a walk over there?

The moral being of course one only sees the advantages and not the disadvantages. CDers are particularly likely to fall into that trap of seeing only the fun things about being a girl while ignoring the many problems girls encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Johnstone
    Hey, i'd just like to point out that women are NOT wearing mens clothes. They are wearing a STYLE of clothing based on mens designs. There is an inherent difference between the two in this respect!
    YAY... someone gets it

I wonder how many times this topic will come up in the next year or so. I've heard so many times that 'women wear mens clothes'. But like Christine has so rightly stated, we wear a 'style' of clothing based on mens designs. You will find most designers are men, so blame them It's not our fault that we can wear what we like, but I feel like we get the blame for it. Like I have said before, only you can change societies view. Yes I understand that this is hard and may take another 100 years.

I wear suits, I wear trousers and sometimes I wear sweat pants. But they aren't mens, they are made for women, they are designed for women. Men and women are shaped differently. I can't ever imagine buying myself a nice pinstriped suit designed/made for a man!!! But I would buy one of the same design if it were made for a woman.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

All these answers are so interesting, all true in their own way.

Yes clothing is "just a piece of cloth" and yes it is also an outward expression of self.

I came across a few quotes I'd like to share with you all:

Our clothes are too much a part of us for most of us to be entirely indifferent to their condition: it is as though the fabric were indeed a natural extension of the body, or even the soul.
    --Quentin Bell (1910-1996)

Fashion is more powerful than any tyrant.
    --Latin saying

In olden days a glimpse of stocking
    Was looked on as something shocking,
    But now, God knows,
    Anything goes.

--Cole Porter (1891-1964)

Vain trifles as they seem, clothes...change our view of the world and the world's view of us.
    --Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)

Our only hope for the redemtion of women from the thralldom of dress lies in the belief that her hitherto limited sphere of activities has been so insufficient for her intellectual occupations that she has been forced to expand her thoughts in decorating her person, instead of enlarging her mind.
    --Mercy B. Jackson (1802-1877)

Cross dressing has often been the sign of an extraordinary destiny. In many shamanistic cultures, transvestites are regarded as sorcerers or visionaries, who, because of their double nature as men dressed as women, are sources of divine authority within the community.
    --Peter Ackroyd (1948)

Without black velvet breeches, what is a man?
    --James Bramston (1694-1744)

It is not unusual for fashion to adopt the accidental singulaity of a person who disapproves of fashions and never suspected that his anarchistic act or his unusual get-up would originate a fad.
    --Jean Cocteau (1889-1963)

I believe that as the world gets smaller and the Western world is forced to mingle with peoples from vastly different cultures who will retain their customery dress, AND PC laws are created to control derision toward alternate lifestyles which in turn encourages more people to express themselves, AND as famous people in the public eye defy convention and are not only tolerated but celebrated (like Beckham, ect.) fashion is going to take a huge leap forward, especially for men. This will only help crossdressers indirectly in that there will be so much to look at and comprehend that they won't stick out as much, but at least that's something. Then, as time goes on and customs change, well...... we'll just have to see.

If you look back throughout history there have been many, many drastic changes in the style of dress. There is no reason what-so-ever that we should assume that the styles we wear to today will even resemble what our great-grandchildren will be wearing.

Last edited by susandrea; 08-15-2005 at 09:56 AM.
    ....we are all made of stardust

hahahahaha---- and I just came across this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-288186c.html

Women's nude awakening

Oglers surround protesters

BY JIMMY VIELKIND and ROBERT F. MOORE
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Jill (Phoenix) Feeley was among a number of topless women in Columbus Circle yesterday protesting her Aug. 4 arrest for going half naked. Cops had to quell excited crowds.

Topless women on skates, bikes and foot drew a surging crowd of grateful gawkers in Columbus Circle yesterday when they doffed their shirts to affirm the right to bare a lot more than arms.

The 10 or so women gathered and showed nearly all to protest the arrest of Jill (Phoenix) Feeley, who said she was taken into custody this month after going half naked on the lower East Side.

But Feeley and friends soon found out that taking such a revealing stance in New York can be risky.

"It got hot, then it got rainy," said Feeley, 25.

Then at least a dozen drooling men rushed through barricades and surrounded the women shortly before 4:30 p.m. Police quickly intervened, gaining the gratitude of Feeley.

"The cops were good today," she said.

But she was still steamed about her previous encounter with police.

Jeffrey Rothman, Feeley's attorney, said he plans to file a civil rights lawsuit against the city for the Aug. 4 arrest.

He said two police officers told her to put on her top and she refused. She spent 12 hours in custody, but wasn't charged, Rothman said.

"We have to affirm women's right to be top-free, just as the other half of the population," he said.

"We're just demonstrating a right," said Feeley, a self-described "gypsy" who says she lives in an RV powered by vegetable oil.

There were no arrests yesterday. A police spokeswoman noted it's legal for women to go topless in public.

And that was fine with Bonaris Serrano, 21, an aspiring rapper from Washington Heights who checked out the protest after attending the Dominican Day Parade.

"I'm down with the feminist movement," he said. "I can dig that."

OMG---Here's another "glimpse of the future"!

http://www.planetvids.com/html/Anime...on-Idiots.html

Three cheers for creativity!
    Last edited by susandrea; 08-15-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Junior Member Catherine in Colo's Avatar
    Ava made a great point about the differences between why men wear women’s clothing and vice versa being recreation vs. necessity. Fortunately, in most circles, I think that we’ve evolved beyond the need for women to wear the clothing associated with masculinity in order display masculine attributes. And to a certain degree, men have benefited from that evolution. Men who displayed emotion or sensitivity used to be called sissies, or worse. But now, men can express themselves in ways traditionally thought to be feminine without the ‘need’ to wear the clothing that goes with it. For the majority of people in the world, that is more than enough, and clothing is now only matter of fashion, not success.

But her comment about the roles being reversed starting me thinking about the oft mentioned hypothetical world in which it is totally acceptable for a man to wear clothing associated with women, such as skirts and dresses. If we found ourselves in such a world, would we start wearing skirts to the office? Probably. But would we stop dressing in the privacy of our own homes or stop posting pictures on our websites? Probably not. That’s because in that world, shopping malls would start selling dresses ands skirts designed for men, and in doing so, we would be losing that which we sought as crossdressers in the first place.

While men's clothing can sometimes be used to highlight masculine features, such as broad shoulders or defined pecs, most mens clothing is utilitarian in design. To a much greater degree, women's clothing is designed to accentuate a woman's features, and when most crossdresses wear this clothing, we "fill out" the clothing as best we can to create the proper image. In the hypothetical new world, we would no longer need to do that, but if we didn't feel the need to do it in that world, we wouldn't do it in this world either.

I can speak with certainty only for myself, but I suspect that for most of us, you can’t separate the clothing from the gender. I believe that for most of us, it’s not just the article of clothing, but what wearing that article of clothing represents, whether it be the feminine, the forbidden, or the sensual, and all of that would be lost in translation were the rules to change.

I guess what I am saying is that even if the playing field were level and men were “allowed” to wear women’s clothing in the same way that women are "allowed" to wear men’s clothing, we’d still be right where we are.

Renee

Thumbs up you are so right

Quote Originally Posted by darcyann
    Hello

Love

Darcy Ann
    DARCEY YOU ARE SO RIGHT HOW COME WOMEN CAN WEAR SLACKS PENNY LOFFERS IVE SEEN THEM IN SUITS WITH TIES SOCKS AND ALL.BUT LET A GUY WEAR A DRESS OR A SKIRT AND HEELS WITH A JACKET.LOOK AT THAT FREAK WEIRDO OR QUEER YOU KNOW IF GIRLS CAN WEAR GUYS CLOTHES THEN WHY DO WE HAVE TO HIDE WHY CAN'T WE WEAR GIRLS CLOTHES AND BE ACCEPTED,ON THE OUTSIDE. LOVE CDGIRL.
    my fem clock is racing and i need to catch up.im not getting any younger.someone please help me.