Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Smile David Bowie

David Bowie was the first musician/artist that got me to accept myself as a cd i was wondering if any of you girls felt the same way or just like David Bowie's music over all...
    [FONT="Arial Black"]got your mother in a whirl not sure if your a boy or a girl.

Transgender pride

Rocker :)
    Im a huge Bowie fan. I listen to his music all the time

I love Bowie! In fact, the first dance at my fiance and I's wedding is going to be a David Bowie tune...

I can't wait!
    Feel sexy because you're confident, be confident because you're sexy. -"Chained" Jane L Michaels

David Bowie is so cool ,just love Bowie

I grew up listening to David Bowie and still listen to him now.....He's a legend

Genius, whether the TG thing matters to you or not. But certainly he was a pioneer of the gender-bending musicians of the time. Sure, I noticed it, and I wholeheartedly approved. But his music was what mattered most.

That said, he was popular at a time when I really couldn't come to grips with who and what I am as a transgendered person. And even though there were others around that were clearly in the same category as myself, I still hid it from everybody. Bowie alone was not able to open my closet door. Heck, it's still not open very wide.
    Last edited by TGMarla; 02-27-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Love Bowie, 2 of the bands I was in played a bunch of his songs......don't know if it helped me in tgland though couldn't of hurt!
    Speaking of gender bending how about his video "Boys Keep Swinging"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRODPlfhys Always Loved that one!!
    Last edited by kristinacd55; 02-27-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Banned Spammer

Bowie Phone Home

I used to want to be like David Bowie: marry a Supermodel and wear her clothes. Now I want to be like David Beckham: marry a Spice Girl and wear her clothes.

I saw Bowie in Milwaukee in 2003, during his last tour and really enjoyed it. I wish he would make a new studio record. His last two were great.
    Last edited by Pink Person; 02-27-2010 at 01:24 PM.

i totally remember bowies androgenous look in the eighties.it was unique.i also liked boy georges look alot
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Aspiring Member
    I loved David Bowie too, But his "look" didn't affect my cross-dressing one way or the other

I liked Bowie, but I didn't care much for Boy George
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

I remember Bowie, alot of people don't remember Hall and Oats tho Darrel Hall use to dress in FEMME but as the band got more successfull he tamed it down quit a bit.

All those 70's bands and the 80's bands but none a obvious as Mayrlin Manson
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I remember when I was like 8 or 10 years old and I saw this video on TV. When it got to the 2mins 16 secs point I nearly had a heart attack as I didn't realize the 3 backing singers were all David Bowie dressed up. It was at this time I realized that there might actually be others out there like me who were guys who liked to wear girls clothes
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    I remember when I was like 8 or 10 years old and I saw this video on TV. When it got to the 2mins 16 secs point I nearly had a heart attack as I didn't realize the 3 backing singers were all David Bowie dressed up. It was at this time I realized that there might actually be others out there like me who were guys who liked to wear girls clothes
    Hi Rachel, so u did the same thing i did when i saw the boy's video. I freaked! What an awesome video!! I imagined myself doing the same type of video & being the star....

Ziggy Stardust is better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=Sa6bI...eature=related

Got your mother in a whirl, not sure if you're a boy or a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by jenifer m. View Post
    i totally remember bowies androgenous look in the eighties.it was unique.i also liked boy georges look alot
    David Bowie's androgynous period was in the 70's rather than the 80's. As for Boy George, while I like Culture Club's music well enough, he couldn't dry clean Bowie's "man dress" (see the cover of "Man Who Sold The World"). They're not even in the same league.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Like his music, but no, he wasn't involved in me accepting myself ( when I was 10, there were no videos on tv ).
    btw the movie "Velvet Goldmine" is loosely based on him ( fictional story to be clear ), recommend it.

"you've got your mother in a whirl
    she's not sure if you're a boy or a girl"
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 02-27-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I think subconsciously Bowie and Alice Cooper were influences on my gender identity. The Alice Cooper band actually performed in drag too, when they were starting out. I think some of those "gold lame' jeans" they wore were women's jeans.

As for Bowie, I started listening to him with his "Diamond Dogs" album after seeing him earlier that year on the Midnight Special performing his "1980 Floor Show." "Rebel Rebel" is one of my favorite songs of his and is sort of a theme song for myself. A couple of years ago, I got ahold of a DVD of that Midnight Special episode from a collector. I was surprised how much women's clothing he wore on that show. It's been a while since I've watched it, but wedgies and a Carmen Miranda hat seem to stick in my mind.

Being a big Monty Python fan, I think their crossdressing and maybe even that of Flip Wilson's Gearldine may have been influences too, but Bowie was probably the biggest one.

The man is a true artist.

Sweetness I just realized I wrote the wrong lyrics haha either way Bowie is bad ass I also am a fan of lady gaga u either hate or love her style and I personally love it
    [FONT="Arial Black"]got your mother in a whirl not sure if your a boy or a girl.

Transgender pride

is in her vest
    i don't think it was bowie for me...however he was one of my 'holy trinity' of my youth....lou reed/david bowie/iggy pop....

it was lou reed that made me realise that people like me existed the world over...i first heard the velvet underground in about 1972, and there they were, singing about transsexuals....then i heard the transformer album when it came out...i know why it was called transformer, its about transformations, boy to girl transformations...

bowie did wear that dress though!.....but lou dated rachel....yeah, those two musicians made me feel a little less isolated...and then along came the NY Dolls (laughs)
    Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

I'm a fan of David Bowie. I dyed my hair like Bowie before I started doing wigs. I always thought it was cool that he looked like Catherine Hepburn. I like The Space Oddity Album.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty811
    David Bowie was the first musician/artist that got me to accept myself as a cd i was wondering if any of you girls felt the same way or just like David Bowie's music over all...
    [SIZE="2"]Bowie definitely opened my young eyes to crossdressing and transgendered behavior, whether it was genuine or merely novel for attention (publicity) only. I recall feeling “funny” for a while during his heyday, attracted to this other world like it was some kind of answer. The whole Glam scene was interesting in a superficial way, but you need gentle nudges now and then from all quarters. As with most highly visible examples of crossdressing, seeing Bowie’s “Boys Keep Swinging” video was another one of those “Hey, I can do that!” kind of moments for me…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla
    Genius, whether the TG thing matters to you or not. But certainly he was a pioneer of the gender-bending musicians of the time. Sure, I noticed it, and I wholeheartedly approved. But his music was what mattered most.
    [SIZE="2"]And lets not forget Marc Bolan of T.Rex, “The Prettiest Star” that Bowie sang about on Aladdin Sane (didn't know that, did'ya?). Bolan’s TG charisma was one of many elements that Bowie appropriated (stole) and made his own. DB’s albums Low, Heroes, and Lodger are my personal favorites, along with the later Outside. I saw one of his concerts in Boston years ago, still one of the loudest performances I’ve heard, back when rock music had style and the performers dressed for the occasion…[/SIZE]

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    Love Bowie with a passion, I also used to dress and wear make up like Ziggy Stardust and had no problems going out in public emulating my musical hero. Which thinking about it now is a little strange, as I am firmly in the closet re CDing. Did the same thing during the new romantic musical phase, frilly shirts, make up, beads in the hair, like Adam Ant (maybe he was just a British thing?)

Bowie is my hero as a kid