Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most disappointing photo shoot

Most disappointing photo shoot

I had an entire day alone this week and I haven't dressed since Christmas, so this should have been a recipe for the best day ever. But I'm left disappointed.

I looked over my photos and got the real feeling of a boy in makeup. Got the same feeling looking at them today, after a couple days of not thinking about it. The weird thing is: I really thought I looked good at the time, my eye makeup looked great!

So my question(s):

Do others have days like that?

Is this the same thing as when a GG feels unattractive for no reason?

And more practically, any tips on good photos I may be missing?

Thanks all.
    [SIZE="3"] + = Kayla Glass[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Oh honey, of course we all have times like that, but we don't come out and tell everyone about it. We just vow to do better next time. It could be the pink fog has enveloped us so badly that we couldn't see clearly, or maybe the mirror was fogged over, who knows.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I have had days of taking multiple pictures (which I do to increase my dressing and photo skills) and find that not one of the pictures shows the Tami I want to present to the world. I mull about and then try it again the next day or whenever and find that it all clicks that time.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Don't let one little bad day, or apparent bad day, get you down. How many girls would be out in the world if they let that happen to them? I have gone to work dressed in my number 3 or worse look and gotten very positive remarks, many times we are our own worst critic.[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Don't be that hard on yourself. It's not fair to you!
    I look in the mirror and I see Me! I may be beautifull to some or no one, but bottom line I'm beautifull to myself and that is all that really matters.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I did a photo shoot a couple of months ago. Literally 200 pics were taken and I only saw about 5 I really liked.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla_CD View Post
    So my question(s):

Do others have days like that?

Is this the same thing as when a GG feels unattractive for no reason?

And more practically, any tips on good photos I may be missing?

Thanks all.
    Kayla, i just had this happen... i have many good shots here on the site....but i haven't been dressing lately, and decided to go to a meeting last week...well i took some shots and was dissapointed. i simply was not on my game. i am going to a meeting tonight and will pay more attention to detail...hopefully it will give a better outcome.

for every picture you see here in the forum... i am sure between 10 to 50 were taken.

don't get down on yourself

ohhhh remember when a GG has a bad day with her look...she still looks like a girl....not always the same with us gurls.

enjoy your time as you .... dissapointment is one thing, but don't get discouraged!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Quote Originally Posted by msniki48 View Post
    for every picture you see here in the forum... i am sure between 10 to 50 were taken.
    I can certainly back up what Niki is saying about how many bad pictures we have for every good one we post. I currently have only a few pictures on my profile and I've taken hundreds. Last week I looked in the mirror and was so disappointed in what I saw that I haven't dressed since. I'm old enough to know that this mood will pass, but I certainly understand the feeling. It's those times that we see in the mirror's image or find captured by the camera's eye that feminine person we feel on the inside that keeps us motivated on this journey. As Niki said, we are all going to have those days when we're disappointed in our look, but don't let it discourage you. The next beautiful picture is just around the corner.
    Wendy

[SIZE=2]To be honest, I've never liked any of my pictures, not even a little bit..............but I bite the bullet just so I at least have something to show regardless how I feel about it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]And nothing to do with pictures, But I also have days when I look in the mirror and see if it's going to be one of those feeling pretty kind of days or feeling like an ugly duckling day..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Just like having a bad hair day.......It happens every now & then, and no matter how hard I try to make it right, nothing seems to work....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]But the next day could be totally different feeling, even times after waking up with my hair all wild and go look in the mirror 1st thing & say, Wow, Wish I looked that good yesterday....lol [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I'm sure my sisters that live 24/7 & the GG's have these days...but regardless, we still walk out that door & face the world everyday no matter what....even though we wish we could just stay home or hide in the office on our bad days..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I can't really explain Why we have these days, but I think it's more psychological than physical, but whatever the case is, it does affect us in one way or another..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]And so, I think it's kinda like the same thing with pictures, because if you don't like what you see right off the bat, you'll never like it..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Yet you could show someone else the same picture and they don't see what your seeing & like it..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Go figure....lol[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

Bad Day ?

Everyone has bad days, sometimes you're hot and sometimes you're not, lol. I think this is mostly in our heads, attitude, how we feel about ourselves that day.
    That being said, judging ones looks by looking at photos is a poor way to do it. There are hundreds of factors that make or break a portrait and how you really look is only one of them. That's why the pros make the big bucks. Many shots are taken, lots of doctoring is done, before that cover of Cosmo is published, lol.
    Face to face is the only way to judge. We see the whole package, personality, how we carry ourselves, and the big one, attitude.
    May everyone you love-love you
    Kimberly Ann
    www.flickr.com/photos/kimmie487

Wink

I know what you mean, I nearly always feel the same when I see my photos.
    No definitive answer, but just a couple of thoughts/ points:
    They say the camera never lies, but it does. The lens can distort images especially when using wide angle lenses (especially within the confines of the closet).
    The flash, which again you will need if you are taking pictures in the closet, highlights things that you have gone to great lengths to disguise with make-up.
    When you see yourself in the mirror, there is a lot of emotions involved.
    If you like what you see, stick with the mirror.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Out of all the pictures I've ever taken, and that's hundreds, I think that there's only been about a dozen that I felt really looked exactly how I felt I looked at the time or that matched the mirror image on that day. My point is, you're not alone. I always think how I look in the mirror is better than 99% of the pictures I see of me.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

For the most part, I find my pictures, well, okay, if not great. Many elicit an "Ugh!, these aren't gonna see the light of day".

I've noticed wigs make a big difference in my pictures. Some wigs look okay in the mirror, but make me look matronly in pictures, probably what I really look like to others.

As I'm sure others do, I have my private collection of T-girl pictures. By chance, one of my better pictures landed next to Tamara V's. When I look at mine after seeing hers, I'm deflated...how do I rearrange these

Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi View Post
    For the most part, I find my pictures, well, okay, if not great. Many elicit an "Ugh!, these aren't gonna see the light of day".

I've noticed wigs make a big difference in my pictures. Some wigs look okay in the mirror, but make me look matronly in pictures, probably what I really look like to others.

As I'm sure others do, I have my private collection of T-girl pictures. By chance, one of my better pictures landed next to Tamara V's. When I look at mine after seeing hers, I'm deflated...how do I rearrange these

Mitzi

The wigthing is something I have experienced myself, some just look bad in photos!
    I am mostly happy with my photos, but sometimes I look in the mirror and I am really satisfied with my look. -Then I see the photos I took and I am dissapointed.
    Maybe I`m being fooled by the pink fog, maybe it is the flash on the camera..who knows haha

I wish

Monika, I wish I could look like you on one of your bad days!

Katie
    Last edited by katies27; 03-06-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo

You know the difference between a professional photographer and and an amateur? A professional photographer takes about 100X more pictures. The pro throws away most of them, probably better than 90%, but the keepers are golden.

But I don't think that the problem is with the ratio of pictures that you / are not happy with. I think the problem is that you feel like you look like a dude in a dress in most of them. Even in a crummy or unflattering picture a GG still looks like a girl.

So don't blame the camera - don't blame anyone really. You pointed out that you are getting your eye make-up right... Good! Use the photos to help identify the things you still need work on, or perhaps the things that you didn't even know you needed to work on. Take a critical look at the photos (not so much at yourself, but at the photos) and use them - force them to tell you, to reveal to you what it is that you are still doing, or not doing properly, that gives the impression of being a guy in a dress. Knees spread? Elbows out? Crummy posture? Lumpy smile? Whatever it is, figure it out and fix it. You may not like the photos, but they are doing you a favor.

Don't deny the photo's their power - but make them use there power for your benefit.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Gold Member
    Oh yeah...I've had a few days like that. In fact, my last photo shoot came out so bad that I just scrapped them all. Sometimes you're just not feeling it in front of the camera.

You are always your own worst critic. You look at yourself in photos and see every flaw, every mistake, everything that you hate. That's natural. You have to learn how to go beyond this and see the photos where your inner self does come out.
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

using bad photos to improve your look

When we look at ourselves in the mirror we always look our best because we are looking at our best angle and facial expression. When taking shots
    with a camera we do not get such perfection. Our facial expression, posture, way of holding out heads, etc. tend to often show our not so feminine side. It takes work. Work on these things. A wig to
    compliment your face shape helps. Just remember that others see not just that perfect pose and smile but see you from all angles, your actual posture and body shape.
    Another thing to consider is the lighting you use for your shots. A camera mounted flash does not tend to flatter us. It tends to give a harsh look that emphasizes your sharper male features and brings out your beard shadow.
    When you see a guy in a dress looking back at you from your photos just use these bad photos to correct and refine your look to achieve the most beleivable female look possible.
    Best Wishes
    Hugs, Christine
    Just the Girl Next Door
    my ad V
    V

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissiej

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I have posted plenty of bad pictures here. The reason? I feel that GGs aren't always "at their best" all the time, so why should I portray myself as always at my best, right?

Kathi

as a gg we go thru that as well. no matter what u put on you'll have days like that. but that passes as well

Even GGs do that... ALOT!

There have been times where I will take tons of photos, and not like a single one. Sometimes it's the angle, or the lighting that I feel makes me look fat, or I'm just having a blah day where NOTHING I can do makes me look good. If you're having a day like that, take a bubble bath and paint your nail.. It helps make me feel better!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]These are my new favorite shoes and yes, I wear them with sparkely tights and pink skirts!

Every answer above is right on target.

My advice...take buttloads of pix and keep the top 5

got to freewarefile and look through thier photo editors and download any that are compatible with your operating system.

then play with the "warp" (for the super hot body)...the "noise Reduction" (for the creamy smoothe skin) and anything else you like.

is it cheating? You better believe it! Do I feel bad for doing it? Absolutely not!

I have 8 photo editors and three video editors. I know I will never look as gorgeous as many of these fine ladies...but, I don't have to. I only need to look good enough for me.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Well Kayla, take all the advice the previous ladies have told you. It takes time dealing with all the moods we have. Practice, child practice. Absolutely enjoy the magic of the transformation and convey that feeling into the camera lense. Cheers, Ilene.

Kayla,

I've been where you are describing so many times. Most often, it is my own fault. I think my worst self photos occur when I have something else on my mind or I'm feeling a little stressed. My best photos are when I feel great or really happy. In my opinion, candid photos taken by someone else
    are the most intriguing.

I take a lot of outdoor photos and I love the way natural lighting plays on the subjects. The same goes for people shots taken outdoors. I've been to places with scenery so breathtaking that no matter where you point the camera, the results could only be fantastic. However, it still takes 35-40 shots to find the most perfect one of all.

Keep taking those pictures.

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Of course. It all depends on your state of mind and your choice of clothing at the time. It is no big deal.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Kayla, that happens to me EVERY TIME!

I ALWAYS think I look good in the mirror!

Then, I look at the pics and think, " HOW could I have thot I looked good?"

But, (after I delete the few hundred pics from that session), I try to learn from that experience, and do BETTER next time!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!