Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sociology

Aspiring Member

Sociology

Hi everyone,

I'm doing research for a sociology project. I am doing a study on the rejection of trans people from their families. For those that do not wish to post you are free to message me.

Here are the questions:

1: How many siblings and children do you have?

2: When your family ( siblings, kids, parents ) learned about being trans, did your family disown you, if so who? and for how long? ( days? weeks? months? longer? )
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

1. I have no siblings and (being no older than 26 and having only recently met my first girlfriend) I have no children.

2. I keep my CD'ing hidden from my friends and family. The only one who knows about it is my very supportive girlfriend.

I thought that I'd give your post a bump, but I don't think that my answers will be of much if any help.

1. I'm not married and have no kids, but my girlfriend is fine with it and really enjoys going out with me as either Robert or as Helen. She's on here as well.

2. None of my family knows. I'm 48 and live 450 miles from all of them, so it's pretty easy to hide. I am pretty much through consciously hiding it, but I'm not planning on coming out to them either. My dad might be ok with it, though he would no doubt think that it was weird. His wife, my stepmom, wouldn't care for it at all. My mom, the "tolerant" and only non-church going Christian of the group would really ping. She'd still talk to me, but that's about it. My brother and sister would be ok with it, but would probably not want to know (the old "ignorance is bliss" remedy). The problem would likely be my 12 year old nephew who knows his uncle (me) as the ex-green beret that teaches him really cool army stuff when I visit. He would definitely be grossed out by it, or whatever word 12 year olds use these days for that emotion, and would advertise at the top of his lungs to everyone in school or church. He's a very vocal young boy.

So, in the end, while I'm not hiding it anymore, I would just prefer not to have to address it.
    If I had any idea that therapy, hair removal, hair transplants, doctors and medications were so expensive I would have planned to be rich first.

Banned Read only
    Not married, no kids. My parents found out and did not disown me, though my mother thinks it's a mental disorder and asked me to see a therapist for it. Thankfully the gender therapist doesn't see it in the same light

Platinum Member
    my mom and sister found out - no adverse repercussions. My wife is accepting and supportive. Our daughters do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    One brother, two children (a son and a daughter).

2: When your family ( siblings, kids, parents ) learned about being trans, did your family disown you, if so who? and for how long? ( days? weeks? months? longer? )
    Family and almost all friends have been accepting to supportive to encouraging. My wife and daughter go out with me. My son and brother know but would rather not be involved. My parents are deceased.

I hope you will report back on the findings of your project.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar
    I am married and have four children. I am one of five children. My wife, two children(girls) and two siblings (brother and sister) know. So far my wife is accepting, as well as the two children and one sibling are accepting and supportive. One sibling is having a real problem with it and my mother doesn't know yet.
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

It doesn't matter, you have to be prepared to lose all of those relationships in order to be yourself. I did.

1. I'm the second of three and I have three kids (not kids anymore...)

2. I suspect my mother knows and pretends not to know. Other than her, only my wife knows.

No rejection here

I'm married without kids. I have 2 sisters and 2 wonderful parents and I even have a nephew and niece. AND no one ever disowned me. I guess I'm too loveable.

My mom gave me a weird look when I told her and my dad had a hard time believing me. But disownment was never an option. I'm still there son and we still love each other. I have a TS friend that still lives with her mom and brothers and they've accepted her too.

I believe that times have changed and nowadays people don't disown their kids for this. Sexual preference, Sexual Identity and CD'ing are harmless and can't be cured. So why would anyone want to disown their child for it? They wouldn't, because disowning your child or brother or sister for THIS is stupid.

Hi everyone,

1: I am the eldest of three. I am married and have 2 boys.
    2: The only person in my life that knows is my wife.
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I'm 44, I have one brother
    I'm married and have 3 stepdaughters, my wife and daughters know about Stacey and are very supportive, my parents and brother do not know.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I told my late wife before we married, and she totally supported my CD activities for almost 50 years we were married! I told our two children last year, and they accepted me "as is." They just don't want to see me dressed!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Hi everyone,

I'm doing research for a sociology project. I am doing a study on the rejection of trans people from their families. For those that do not wish to post you are free to message me.

Here are the questions:

Well my family is truly disfunctional. Infact I have felt for years that Everyone Loves Raymond was taken from my family. A few situations and names were changed to protect us from being discovered.

1) One brother who disowned me over money. He would do over the cd'ing if he knew. In fact he would probably take out a full page ad in the newspaper to destroy me if he knew. I have 3 kids who both know and accept to a degree. None of them want to see, but they accept that this is part of their dad's life.

2) Wife has never accepted and never will. She even went so far as to attempt to turn my kids and her family against me.
    Michelle

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by noname
    2: When your family ( siblings, kids, parents ) learned about being trans, did your family disown you, if so who? and for how long? ( days? weeks? months? longer?)
    [SIZE="2"]1. I have two sisters. I live with one of them, and the other one is conveniently 125 miles to the west of my current location. I have no children…

2. I haven’t told any members of my family yet, but I may “come out” to my live-in sister later this year if I don’t lose my nerve. I will exhibit my new artwork, along with myself, at that time… [/SIZE]

Answer question 1: born to a family with 7 children. Middle child. 4 boys , three girls. Had 3 children of my own. 2 girls, 1 boy. Also currently have 3 grand children. 2 boys, one girl.

Answer question 2: I've been out for 9 yrs, living full time for most of them. All my family member know about me.
    My parents, when they first found out 3 yrs ago, leaned towards the disowned but over time, 2 yrs,have changed. They still don't understand everything, sometimes niether do I, but they are trying.
    My brothers & sisters are somewhat divided at times. But they are comming around.
    My children are supportive at times but I can see sometimes that they wish I was a "normal" dad, because it caused them a lot of problems growing up.
    My grandchildren know about me but I haven't been able to physically see them yet. I'm working on that.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the time line for you.
    Hope this data helps.

Be safe. Be smart.

Dawn Marrie
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

i have no siblings and my wife was pissed off for a couple of weeks then after lots of explaining she now accepts.her sister accepted my dressing right away.no one else in the family knows about me.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

I have 8 brothers and sisters and 8 children. None of them want to see me dressed and all of them know but only one son has disowned me and it has been for nearly 15 yrs. If I come to visit with another son he will have lunch with us and talk about nothing, but when lunch is over he finds someplace he has to go.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

I have 3 brothers and 1 sister, widower with two adult daughters and one grandson:-). They all know except my grandson who is 5 yrs old. Acceptance is more like tolerance except for one brother and sister-in-law. My late wife's sisters have been the most supportive and although there are 6 sisters-in-law 5 are supportive. My mother knows but refuses to talk about it or with me and my father-in-law has been wonderful. This is all fairly new to them as they found out about 6 months ago.

Teri

Aspiring Member
    IMPORTANT

I appreciate all the responses. However I need actual amounts of time the family member has disowned you. I realize every situation is different, and people distance themselves in different ways. Being disowned would be your interpretation. aka. do you feel disowned? The length of time is VERY important as I need to be able to put all this into numerical data.

So, if you have been out for 3 years, and your mom hasn't spoken to you since. Please say so. Without this, I can not use the information.

Your help with this is very much appreciated.

Thanks again
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

You could also put this in the transmen section.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I am the eldest of three widowed, and re married. i have a daughter. both are very supportive

mom knows and refuses to talk about it.

my brother knows and just does not want to see it...i am an embarrasment, i believe was the quote.

my sister, does support me in that she is not going to loose her brother / sister...does she totally understand? i don't think so. Supposedly i was the one they looked up to growing up....that is the part i don't understand.... i don't think i took a step back in expressing niki...

oh well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Me, Myself & Rachael Rachaelb64's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Here are the questions:

No sure if this helps

1) I have 2 brothers and a sister. As well as two kids a boy 18 and a girl 16 (plus an ex-wife)

2) Both my kids, but are not too comfortable with Rachael. My Mum & Sister know, no adverse reaction from either, my Sister is supportive. My new SO knows and is supportive. Haven't told my brothers or my step-father (my real father died 7yrs ago)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is to short so enjoy it to the full

:

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Today is a good day to Dress!

clarify definition of : Disowned.
    Do you mean taken out of the family will, broken off all contact with?
    Peoples first reactions are never written in stone.
    Degrees of disconnection also vary by the individual.

Be safe. Be smart.

Dawn Marrie
    Last edited by dawnmarrie1961; 03-09-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

But you can call me Sam AlsoSamantha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by minalost View Post
    1: I am the eldest of three. I am married and have 2 boys.
    2: The only person in my life that knows is my wife.
    Ditto here
    Happiness requires freedom. Freedom requires courage