Thread: Are hairdressers the most open-minded people when it comes to alternative lifestyles?

Are hairdressers the most open-minded people when it comes to alternative lifestyles?

Hi everyone! This is my fist thread!

As some of you know, my wife doesn’t support my CDing. Four years ago, she even gave all my stuff to the Salvation Army, burned my wig and threaten to divorce me if I would do it again. Of course, I’ve started doing it again a few months later as it’s part of who I really am....Now, I have to hide or be away on a business trip to dress up....feeling very lonely...dressing up only 3-4 times per year.

I’ve been getting closer to a good woman’s friend over the last 6 months...a former work colleague...who is just simply very stunning. I’ve had the courage to tell her about my crossdressing a few months ago. She finally agreed to not only see me dressed, but also to take a few pictures, go out shopping and eat at a restaurant as 2 girlfriends....

Well, the “big” day happened at the end of January. She was by my side throughout my transformation : dressing up, long french nails, make-up...everything...and she loved it! Because she thought I looked good enough to go out with me (that was the deal!), we then went shopping as two girls, went out at the restaurant where we were both treated as ladies...it was simply fantastic. Finally, someone willing to listen, understand and most importantly be with me!!!

Of course, she took my first ever pics...they’re in my album! I wear jeans (not a dress)....as you know, I can’t shave my legs/arms/etc as my wife doesn’t know I still get dressed....with long hair to my lower back (I always wanted to have it very long!) and long french nails!

Well, a few weeks ago, I had the courage to talk to my hairdresser about my CDing & this unforgettable night. She's also beautiful woman...mid thirties...long hair (mid back)....beautiful nails...gorgeous looking...She's been trying to have me grow my hair to at least shoulder length for years...Not that I don't want...and she knows that...but can't due to work.
    Anyway, she goes on to tell me again that I should let it grow at least shoulder length...So I told her how about longer than that? She answered yes, a little longer pass your shoulder would suit you great! I'm getting all excited on the chair ..and decide to go all the way and said how about to my lower back? She looked at me surprised...but with a smile on her face. Then, I opened up and told her about my wig...and crossdressing! She was all smile & almost as excited as I was! She couldn't wait to see my pics and gave me her personal email address. So I sent her the same pics that I have in my album. She got back to me a few days after, writing “WOW! Love you hair & feminine looks. You definitely pass!”

WOW......unbelievable....

My dear friend Miranda mentioned that she has also found that women and man that have chosen that line of work (hairdresser, cosmetician) are the most open-minded and accepting when it comes to alternative lifestyles..

Do you agree? Have you a similar type of story to share? I would love to hear from you!

Adelaide

I don't think you can categorize all hair dressers. My ex wife is one and although is understanding and sympathetic to alternative lifestyles, when it came to her man, she wanted nothing to do with it. That's pretty much why she's an ex.
    Life's too short to not do the things that make you happy.

Trying to find balance wishing2bali's Avatar
    I've been wanting to tell my hairdresser for years(I've been going to her for about 5 yrs now) just never really had the chance to, as she usually had another client within earshot If I ever do say something I'll be sure to let you know

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar
    Not my hairdresser. Once I mentioned to her that I had been chatting on-line with women much younger than me, and even though my SO knew and had no issues with this, my hairdresser was noticeably upset. Every time she turned my head with her left hand, her wedding ring would hit me in the head! Ouch!

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Just spent the afternoon with a cosmotologist/hairdresser and she's very understanding of alternative lifestyles and she stated to me that so many other girls in the profession feel the same way.

BTW, the afternoon was spent with Tamarav right here on CD.com. Anybody see that coming?

Gold Member
    They are probably just as likely as anyone else to be accepting. My hairdresser is very cool and accepting. But they are just like anyone else, so they I don't see them being more, or less accepting.

Well I do think you are right they tend to be more understanding but that may be because hairdressing is somewhat of a creative profession and most creative ppl think outside the box. It may also be that if you get more accepted as feminine you may do more with your hair and thereby give them more $$$$, but that is cynical I prefer to think they are creative types.
    Be yourself society doesn't know that there is no such thing as being normal.

If you can't find the silver lining make your own.

I haven't been to the hairdressers for years because I've been growing my hair. I never want it shorter but it could do with being styled, and this thread gives me the confidence to ask for a feminine style! Although it doesn't surprise me that hairdressers would be more accepting, because let's face it, many male hairdressers have taken a somewhat alternative route themselves (I don't mean to stereotype them as gay, but the occupation itself isn't exactly typical for a man.)

[SIZE=4]If you were to compare various occupations then I believe you are probably fairly right. Hairdressers do seem to be more accepting of our lifestyle rather than say, dentists...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]And in some cases, the CDs became hairdressers, what a hoot![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I should have simply said, "Yes we are".[/SIZE]
    Last edited by tamarav; 03-10-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Hairdressers? What's Hair?

I am green with envy over any of you young chicks who still have enough hair to make it worthwhile to go to a hairdresser.

Me, I just read my wig catalogs and wish.

Seriously, there are so many Gay hairdressers, and even many barbers, that I would hope that the hairdressing salon would be a place where the TV/CD person would be more welcome than some other places. I have gotten what's left of my hair cut, drab style, at beauty salons because the cutter was talented, and the female patrons didn't look like they were real happy about having a man, dressed in blue jeans, chambray shirt, and black sneakers, sharing the gossip spot with them.

Aspiring Member

About the same as bartenders... Which is, "OK."

People vary, but most often their prime motivation is some form of personal profit.

I know hairdressers and bartenders.

Dollars prompt a lot of "positive" behavior from bartenders and hairdressers (and bankers, and cops, and dentists, and, cpas) that is not necessarily sincere - outside of work.

At work, so long as the tab gets paid and the tip is decent, you're "gold" either way you want to take it.

But... Don't assume you can take it very far...