Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eccentrics

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar

Eccentrics

My heritage is English, and as long as I can remember I've thought Englishmen were a bit eccentric and prone to cross dress and other semi odd behavior. Warm beer?

Maybe the idea came from Benny Hill. Now there's an eccentric! Maybe not, and this is a really broad stereotype, I know. I'm not degrading anyone here, remember I are one. Just amused and wondering.

My mother is English, so maybe you're not to far off there.
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Yeah, I've always been told that you could do anything in England as long as there was a club for it. So, for example, a guy who likes to wear a raincoat and expose himself can join The MacIntosh Club.

Me, I live on the other side of the pond and still feel that crossdressing is a harmless eccentricity.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Warm beer is not eccentric...it's just English. That's the way it's done. I love drinking St. Peter's Porter warm. Refrigeration is a modern concept.
    When I think of eccentric English characters, I think of Ian McKellan in the movie DaVinci Code, or Doctor Who characters throuout the years.

Eccentrics can only be such within their own culture. In the United States, J. Paul Getty was such a creature. In the UK, Grayson Perry is, well....Grayson Perry.

J. Edgar Hoover reminds me of the shenannigans that go on within the Catholic church. Same thing, different organization.

My favorite British eccentric is John Lydon (Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols), particularly when he appeared on Judge Judy to dispute an issue with a band member. You can find that episode on youtube.

Eccentric, in myn opinion, is Harold, in the movie Harold & Maude.

I have no English ancestry whatsoever... and here I am!!

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar

from several films and tv shows

My first exposure to British TV was in the 60s - shows like "The Avengers", "Doctor Who", "The Prisoner", and of course "Monty Python's Flying Circus". Every show seemed to have characters displaying a very wide variety of eccentric but harmless behavior. There was always somebody with a large collection of something, somebody reliving some historic period, or other out-of-the-ordinary activities that people just casually accepted. There were similar eccentric characters in the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" from the same time period.

Nothing like the buttoned-down gray-flannel-suit shows in the USA, where the main tv character always seemed to be some junior advertising executive - madcap hilarity ensued.

Aspiring Member
    As a British American I have to say that eccentricity comes with heritage; the rest of us are just barmy

well im english irish german blood line soooooo maybe.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

My parents both SPOKE English, does THAT count?

Plenty of eccentrics, but no English in my background.

I believe "warm beer" is a myth! I drank a LOT of it in and around London, and all over Europe.

Never was served a beer there warmer than room temperature, if that. The warmest was probably Octoberfest brew in Munich. If our beer tasted THAT good, we wouldn't NEED to freeze our taste buds to get it down!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

That is what I was going to say Doc,
    I lived in England for a few years and the beer was not "warm" it is just room temperature, and actually smoother that way, in my opinion.

And I think what is eccentric to some is perfectly normal to others, like calling the "bathroom" the "toilet"... "there are no "baths" in a public toilet" is what I would hear each time I messed that one up! LOL

Hi..
    Well many of us are from english stock or are scots & then of course our irish. so yes we have a few here in kiwi land . who are , & i have known a few over the last 50 years . & many more before i was born were around . so it cant be only england . & over in oz e yes a few there as well.

...noeleena...

I'm English by several generations, maybe some would say British, not English... No matter.

Eccentricity is part of the English stock in trade, but it's something you have to learn... It comes with the ability to think for yourself, break free from the yoke of Rupert Murdock, Gordon Brown and daytime television, and at last... the British character can grow and mature.

Benny hill was not so much an eccentric, more that other staple of British life... A master of toilet humor (see also Carry-On films and Dick Emery).

As for warm beer ? Well... It's cellar temperature to be precise, and long may it be consumed. you have to remember it's not 'premium lager beer' we drink warm, it's "real Ale" and when it was invented (when god handed it down to the gentle folk of Burton On Trent) there were no refrigerators to be had.
    Chilling it ruins the flavors and kills it.

The British also enjoy Spanking each-other, boarding school, dirty postcards, the Morris 1000 and abusing the French.

Up the ruling classes !

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Speaking as a Scotswoman,I can think of a few things to say about the English (only kidding)

Perhaps I should hold my tongue anyway,coming as I do from a Country,where our National Dress is a Skirt.I mean Ever noticed how many "girls" you can see wearing tartan minis? The point is I dont think Geography matters as regards to why we Cross-Dress

p.s. wheres the Scotland Flag smilie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by t-girlxsophie View Post
    Ever noticed how many "girls" you can see wearing tartan minis?
    My first skirt...The first time I dressed, although not a Mini... Was a Barclay tartan. (That's Black and yellow for all you not Tartan folks).

Aspiring Member
    Does Welsh count?

Forget the warm beer though.

I'm not that eccentric.

Whlie the "English" may be considered "eccentric" it seems that the truly eccentric people left there so as not to be considered among the normal and came to the "New World" and colonized it, soon enough other cultures discovered this place and also arrived. Then came the fun of "melting" them all together, and still retaining the eccentric parts, the "cream" of this group went to the western part of the country and now live in California.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Warm beer is a myth
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Warm beer is a myth
    warm beer = room temperature.

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    Part of the charm of Britain is the almost expected eccentricity that seems to be part of the national character. There will always be an England. As to the warm beer, the only reason I can think of as to why you lot drink it is because Lucas makes your refrigerators.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayme View Post

As for warm beer ? Well... It's cellar temperature to be precise, and long may it be consumed. you have to remember it's not 'premium lager beer' we drink warm, it's "real Ale" and when it was invented (when god handed it down to the gentle folk of Burton On Trent) there were no refrigerators to be had.
    Chilling it ruins the flavors and kills it.
    I've read that what Americans call beer came into favor after Prohibition killed all the local breweries. We ended up with what William Least Heat Moon described as "beer squeezed through a bar rag, then passed through a horse..."

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar
    This reminds me of an old North Country saying...
    "All the world's a little mad excepting thee and me
    and even thee's a little queer" (origional meaning )

I drink Scotch at room teperature

(British/Canadian)

i don't know i turned out fine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coming from someone in the pub/bar trade i can assure you that only real ale is 'warm' and even then its still coldish, not quite like a cup of coffee lol, our lager etc like is kept around -4 degrees which i imagine is the same for your bud etc over the pond?

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    So what if I edit my post and take out just two words and a question mark. The whole rest of this thread will look pretty weird. I'll naa speak of ale again. I've learned my lesson. Only drink wine, rum, and burbon myself.

Aspiring Member

Lightbulb

OT: Since when can lager enter into a discussion of beer? It tastes p&^%poor either side of the pond, whether it's bud / coors / carling / stella etc. Funnily enough the British have the view that American lager is weak comparitively, whereas they'd be surprised to find that the alcoholic content on average is similar to that of the stronger popular lagers (Stella again).