Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about your male wardrobes.

The avvy pic isn't me

Just clothes

I pay slightly more attention to my clothes in the fall and winter, when there is a better chance to be stylish, but as others have stated my clothes are as functional as need be. My summer attire (it gets very hot here) is basically shorts (denim or cotton blend/khaki) and a tropical type button down or a tee. I've really no need for a suit. Don't do weddings, or have an office job, and most of the better restaurants round here have a casual dress code. Most of the folks who have passed away didn't require me to don a suit to go see them off. I like to look presentable enough but casual cause i'm that kinda guy. mj

I have suits, sport coats, lots of dress shirts and even a tux. When I'm dressed as a male (Most of the time) I like to look my best in all situations. The same applies when I'm dressed as Alice. My feeling is that one should always take pride in how they look.

My male wardrobe... Ok, I don't have a dinner jacket, and I don't have anything resembling a dress suit, but then I have never needed to own such things. I do have two suits that are worn for Hatchings, Matchings and dispatchings but luckily for me, my work is a non suit tidy casual environment. That's not lucky for any pro-fem reason... I just don't like wearing suits that much, they are not comfortable for me for other reasons.

What I do have is a fair stack of neat and tidy clothes that I wear 'everyday'. They are either smart, or casual but all in good condition and although not 'labels' they are mostly good quality and all comfortable.
    I do also have a heap of old untidy clothes, but I often spend upward of three hours on my back under one of my classic cars, and I wear these warm scruffy clothes under my overalls when its cold.

One last pile of clothes... the wonderful "should have grown out of that" pile, the slogan teeshirts from years ago, the Black leather bikers jacket I got when I was 17, the jeans I was wearing the day I caught fire etc. Kept more for sentimental value than any real use as clothes.

Should I need to dress up for an occasion I would do, and would have no problem looking smart. Probably presenting better as male than female to be brutally honest, as I have the right body shape for male cut clothes.

Given the option I would love to dress fem much more than I do, but I don't let that detract from my looking at least presentable as a man.

Most of my male wardrobe is just my work uniform..most of the time I just wear a white or black t-shirt and jeans

i would say that i enjoy both modes of dress.i have almost equal amounts of clothes.however my thing is i mix almost every day.for example i might do a ball cap a mens tee shirt,with womans jeans,pantys,some hose,and some mens or womans clogs or flip flops,and of course i always wear a toe ring and clear nail polish.so i would say i like both ways so much that i choose both at once.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Smile

most of my male clothing is over 5 years old.
    i am not a ts due to i want to keep my extra bits, but i just find calm while dressing in women's clothing.
    on a odd occasion i will buy something male...but just have so many jeans, slacks and shirts...my mom just keeps buying me T-shirts, got a big pile on the shelf, must be 100 of them, some never worn.

only real mens clothing i wear is work clothing, (provided by my company).

i add to loni's side almost every week. can not go into the store and not buy something....and i got the check book to prove it.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I have enough of a male wardrobe to get me by in my male life.I never feel the need to go and buy more as i cant raise any enthusiasm for this chore.but I wouldnt say I disliked my male clothing.Usually Xmas time,and presents of male clothing fills my wardrobe up every year

On the other hand,give me a full purse and a shopping mall,and Im there all day long,I just find theres far more colours,fabrics,looks etc to give me more pleasure in anything to do with my female wardrobe

PS I really should stop saying my female wardrobe,its MY Wardrobe
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Banned Read only
    My femme wardrobe is both more expansive and nicer than my drab wardrobe. Though I do have several dress shirts, they're basic, nothing special. I have what I need for work and a few t-shirts that have messages or anime I care for. My en femme wardrobe is thought out and varied.

As odd as this may seem, my male wardrobe is probably right on par with my female wardrobe.

When I think about it though, I only started to improve my male wardrobe after I came out to my wife. Prior to that, the 3 or 4 suits that I owned at any given time were good enough for work and some ratty old jeans or sweats were good enough for weekends.

These days I have at least 15 taylor made suits, every pair of jeans I have are a designer label as are all the shirts I have (tees included). I don't know how many pair of mens dress shoes I have but its at least 10.
    The reason for the change?

Well to be honest my male side seems to be a carryover from Rachel who like any other woman refuses to wear the same thing twice in one week and so goes the same for my male persona.

Just as I have to look my best as Rachel, I also do the same for the guy in me.

Go figure.

Total Clothes Horse Here

I have a huge wardrobe full of men's clothes. In my case, at least, it's a matter of economics and occupation coupled with inclination, rather than sexual orientation.

Just like women, men at a certain employment level aren't dressing for women, they're dressing to impress and intimidate their co-workers and competitors. Very much the same reasons why women dress in elegant clothes to go to parties.

The folks who say men's clothes are boring have never felt the hand and weave of a really good, custom tailored B2 or Oxxford or RLPolo 3-piece suit, or a cashmere crew-neck over a silk turtleneck, or the complete comfort of a well-fitted pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. Those suits cost around $2000 each, and the shoes round $300-350 a pair. Good men's clothes and shoes are Expensive.

I enjoy Casual Fridays as much as the next person, but wearing a faded, tissue-thin T-shirt, worn out Faded Glory jeans, and sneakers held together with duct tape isn't stylish for anyone.

Looking good is looking good, no matter what gender you feel like. If you're a slob as a man, why would anyone expect you be fastidious as a woman?

I don't understand how someone who dresses in nice women's clothes can be shabbily dressed in mens. When I go out I always do a little overdressing whether it be male or female. I don't even own a pair of jeans or wear t-shirts.

I wish I could afford to be a true metrosexual. I enjoy fashion, period. I prefer women's clothes (duh) but appreciate and wear men's wear with a classic, preferrably European styling. I have a slender frame and look good in men's wear.

The problem is there are no inexpensive places for finding top quality men's fashion anywhere but in the largest of centres where they have the outlet stores. I live in a small city and just dont have access. I cannot afford $300 shoes, especially if I want a femme wardrobe too....Dee

Actually I have a very strong investment in my male wardrobe. I am VERY particular about my clothes and I think that I will be taking that into my consideration when shopping for women's clothes. Ive always been considered metro... The thing is. I LOVE clothes. Ive just transitioned/expanded my love from the Mens side of the store to the Womens (il just walk in between!)

Thank you everyone!

As always, there is not one rule that applies to all. Some threads in the MtF seem to indicate a very strong dislike for the guy side, which seems odd to me, unless someone of course is TS.
    Reine

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    My 2 cents in all of this is that while I don't own any suits and ties (not anymore anyway since I changed jobs) and also I don't even own a button down shirt either, I don't feel bothered one way or the other. I don't feel deprived at all and I know my wife would like me to own some nice guy's semi formal dress pants and shirts but we haven't gotten around to getting me any yet as we don't really go out anywhere nice for me to wear them (not in boy mode anyway). Even at nice restaurants, here in Sacramento, everyone dresses down and dresses very casual. If the need arises, then I'll buy some but until then I'll stay as I am.

To be completely honest, I would say that IMHO, buying guy clothes for me is almost a waste of time as even in my boy mode it's unisex girls clothes, even at work.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    First of all, I am a MAN! Yes, I am also a Crossdresser who loves to wear feminine clothes. But as a sales person who primarily calls on the elderly as a man, I do have to wear suits. Actually I like to wear suits!

But I also like to wear dresses, skirts, and other feminine apparel. There are 3 bedroom closets in my house, plus 3 other portable closets in the finished basement. My male clothing is located in 2 of the bedroom closets and 2 of the basement closets. But if I put it all together, it would fill maybe one of the portable closets! All the rest is Stephanie's clothing, not to mention all the drawers filled with lingerie, stockings, etc.! I do have 6 suits, and numerous sports coats and slacks. There is many more dresses than suits, and way more skirts and tops than sport coats!

So yes, I am a man! But I sure do love wearing feminine finery!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

It can be somewhat cultural. Where I hang or work, it's usually a maximum of "corporate gear", collared shirts and slacks. But most of the time, it's blue jeans or shorts. Most of the places I've worked, it's normal to see shorts and even sandals on guys, and I have an office job. This is SoCal so there is a certain suit-phobia. Ties are considered ancient history, or "east coast". Personally, as a surfer/biker type, I view ties as "slave clothes". This brings me back to the cultural thing. If I was a woman, although I like dressing up, I'd prefer to wear tops and jean skirts. Everyday. No need for more clothes unless I'm going out. I did buy a suit a couple of years ago, but I only wear it to funerals or job interviews. I would never wear it anywhere else. There could be a wedding I suppose, but I've also gone to weddings on the beach where everyone was barefoot in Hawaiian shirts or less.

Aspiring Member
    My male wardrobe is larger than my feminine wardrobe mainly because male clothing is something I need to have as part of my work life. I have to loook the part to keep my job and good relations with my family. Feminine clothes are something I enjoy on a personal level. Not much more than that.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

I own the suits, ties, dress shirts and multiple shoes in male clothing. Since I work out of the house most of the time, I end up wearing sleep pants and T-shirts mostly. When out blue jeans and either a T-Shirt or polo shirt is the required uniform.

It takes 5 seconds to figure out what to wear in male mode. The clothes last longer because a polo shirt looks the same for years. If the shirt is taken care of, then you don't have to buy another one. There is just no excitement in male clothing. I guess like you say below it is just clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    It is something that covers the body and it follows the event's decorum. I like to wear pretty things that set off my figure and flatter my complexion, but once I put them on, I don't think about them much. The focus then turns to the experience at hand, whatever it may be. There is no dopamine release for me when I wear clothes, no matter how
    Michelle

Interesting question. I wouldn't say I was proud of the fact I don't own a suit or tie, I just don't. Part of the reason is I've hated dress shirts and ties ever since I was in school, it was mandatory and I was a bit of a rebel. And I live in a very rural area, anyone seen dressed up is either going to a wedding or a funeral. I've rented suits the odd time for weddings, three or four times in the past ten or fifteen years but who's counting. Fancy restaurants? Decent slacks and casual shirt...no not plaid. And for funerals, well I have had several friends pass away in the last few years and none of them ever saw me in a suit so I figure I'll pay my respects in the way they knew me. Which brings me to a friend who passed away just last summer. No one ever wore a tie in his house or the scissors came out. At his memorial out came a pair of scissors, it's what he would have wanted. So I'm not alone in my aversion to ties.
    You don't have to have been born female to enjoy being a girl

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    This is SoCal so there is a certain suit-phobia. Ties are considered ancient history, or "east coast". Personally, as a surfer/biker type, I view ties as "slave clothes". This brings me back to the cultural thing. If I was a woman, although I like dressing up, I'd prefer to wear tops and jean skirts.
    Agree, on all points. Suits and ties aren't worn all too often anymore. I do like the look, but only under certain circumstances.

This is what I was thinking of earlier: there is no collar, no tie. OK maybe the sneakers with it are a bit much for some people, but the rest looks great, especially with the bag. Or maybe without the bag. I love the long coat best.

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/fas...fashion_25.jpg

Opinions?

Most of the clothes I wear are black or ivory too. It it simpler for me to accessorize this way.
    Last edited by ReineD; 03-18-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Changed sentence order.
    Reine

I love the look and feel of women's clothes. When I get a catalog in the mail, I drool over the pretty women and their pretty clothes, wishing I looked like that. Though I'm often disappointed when I see something I really like that doesn't come in my size, I'm also relieved becaust then I won't be tempted to spend money on it. I've mentioned in other threads that in the past year, I've spent more money on women's clothes than I have on guy clothes in probably the past ten years.

That said, I'm still a guy, and don't go out as Joanie. Living in the Arizona desert, it's hot, so the town is pretty casual for guys. My work clothes are jeans, walking shoes, and a sports shirt. Off work, I'm usually in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and flip flops. If it's a bit cool outside, I'll trade the flip flops and shorts for boat shoes without socks and jeans. I'd love the opportunity to dress up but I don't have a local girlfriend to dress for and most of the social activities are Dockers casual at best.

When on vacation in San Diego or Phoenix, I'll trade my cheap Hawaiian shirts for silk shirts, Tommy Bahama's, and higher end sports shirts. Still in shorts for day wear though. I'll also wear these shirts locally if I want to look a bit nicer for a movie or social occasion. I have a good GG friend in the San Diego area and we always go to a fancy restaurant and clubbing when possible, and we also enjoy seeing plays. I'll dress up for her on those occasions and I enjoy it. I only own one suit, my "Funeral suit," which was bought in 2001 when my grandmother died a couple of days after September 11. So that one isn't that enjoyable to me to wear. I like sportscoats, but where I live, it's too hot most of the year for them. And I got into ties for a while, after discovering Jerry Garcia ties at the San Diego swap meet years ago. Again, too hot where I live for them and most guys don't wear them except when work demands it. And I've even stopped wearing them in San Diego as most people at the clubs we go to are more casual than that.

I'd love to have an Armani suit or one of similar design, but due to the frequency of occasions to wear it and the fact that I keep gaining weight, I can't justify spending money on something like that. I'm even a bit disappointed that a sportscoat I bought ten or so years ago that I really liked doesn't fit anymore.

So I don't resent my male side and I enjoy wearing fine men's clothing. But due to where I live and my activities, I save my nice shirts and sportsjackets for rare occasions.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I have lots of male clothes because that is what i wear normally. I try and look nice, but no expensive suits or anything.

I don't have an extensive CD wardrobe. To be honest i don't get to do it enough to justify it. I get such a laugh when i hear someone who says they have like 145 panties. I know most women (GG) who don't have that many!

For me, it's seems kind of retro English punk. But it would work for me if I was a thin white guy with, oh, dark hair. I'm more of the sport coat with suede elbow pads when I wear serious clothes. Interesting though!

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    This is what I was thinking of earlier: there is no collar, no tie. OK maybe the sneakers with it are a bit much for some people, but the rest looks great, especially with the bag. Or maybe without the bag. I love the long coat best.
    [URL="http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/fashiontribes_fellow/images/mens_fashion_25.jpg"]
    Opinions?

ad omnis par
    hummmm..... this is an interesting question.
    I generally avoid my masculine clothes as a rule. I still own them and will wear them, (i.e. if I have to be on stage) But, I far prefer my sundresses and skirts to pants and a t, those pants and t be masculine or feminine.
    Hope it helps.

And, yes i know, I haven't been on in a long time. Been very buzy... omg.
    ad omnis par
    Toni

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.