Thread: Clothes Help

Clothes Help

I was wondering if any of you girls go out to stores in your area and buy clothes. If so where and how? Buying clothing on the net is too expensive to do all the time, plus I get the 20 questions game whenever a package arrives at home.

Thrift stores are a good place to start. Check out my response in this thread:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12899
    --
    Daphnie

*** I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize ***

no I shouldn't think so.

we all steal our clothes off the neighbour's washing line, don't we?
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

Cereal Killer Ashley in Virginia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    no I shouldn't think so.

we all steal our clothes off the neighbour's washing line, don't we?
    Never thought of that one... makes a lot more sense than breaking into people's homes and stealing them off of their floors....
    If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now.

Tristen Cox
    I guess I have to stop picking through dumpsters *sigh*

charity/thrift shops are good , but evans, bon marche are good high street stores and next fashion is not to bad but a bit more exspensive
    I usually go girlie shopping with my wife and make a fun day of it but if you don't have that kind of support, I find the the staff in evans and bon marche very helpful.
    go on give it a go its quite fun although quite nerve racking the 1st time.

big hugs for support
    joanna

Ebay is my shopping mall, I get very easily embarrased, so I like the anonymity it offers. Just be careful a friend of mine, started asking all kinds of odd and leading questions, to which i was puzzled at the time, and then it became clear he had looked through my ebay feedback, which led to me being outed, a bout of feeling like rubbish and a freak, and a purge, hoping that would make me normal in the eyes of my friends. I know now i purged the wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristen Cox
    I guess I have to stop picking through dumpsters *sigh*
    if I didn't know you better I would say you are joking
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie_A
    Ebay is my shopping mall, I get very easily embarrased, so I like the anonymity it offers. Just be careful a friend of mine, started asking all kinds of odd and leading questions, to which i was puzzled at the time, and then it became clear he had looked through my ebay feedback, which led to me being outed, a bout of feeling like rubbish and a freak, and a purge, hoping that would make me normal in the eyes of my friends. I know now i purged the wrong things.
    sorry to hear you were outed in such an unexpected manner Sophie. How did you're freind handle what he learned ?

I know it's bolting the door after the horse has left for you , but for others the way to avoid this happening would be to get another eBay identity for your femme self. The only way this could still go wrong of course is if you end up actually buying something from a freind and they see your postal address when sending it . If this happens though , you can ask them why they were selling it in the first place

Personally i do a bit of both , shopping on the high street and on eBay.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

My Facebook Page

He didnt very well, it was seen a source of ridicule and belittlement, so I no longer have anything to do with them, seemed to be the best answer for both of us.

if you chose to go sshpping as a man just try to get people to think you're getting it fo someone else

Julie
    I'm one of those annoying people who has no problem buying on the high street or for more bargains, market stalls.

Julie

Hi,

My spouse Angel goes shopping anywhere and everywhere for women's clothes. It really isn't a problem. I used to work in retail myself and I never thought it was odd when men would come in and buy women's stuff.

The only possible issue you might have is with dressing rooms....some stores have to look at everything you are trying on before they let you in.....but in most department stores the attendants are not paying any attention at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    I know that Debenhams has an extremely TG friendly policy when it come to changing rooms. I'm trying to find a website that i came across a while ago that all major uk high street stores replied to with their policies .

Quote Originally Posted by girly sara from rosesforum.tv
    Hi ya girls!

Well, at long last, I’m pleased to say I now have the results of my TG Shop Survey….and how positive they are girls! J For the girls who haven’t heard what I have been up to, I will summarise here.

Over the past few weeks, I have either e-mailed or posted letters to several high street stores to gauge their policy when dealing with transgendered people. I have since received both written and verbal responses to my questions.

In this thread, I won’t include the full replies but will summarise my findings. If you would like to see the full response, I’ll be happy to e-mail you this info (where possible)

So, here we go:

ARCADIA GROUP (inc. Dorothy Perkins, Evans, Miss Selfridge and Top Shop)

Had response from their Head Office stating their staff are trained to deal with delicate situations like ours. They would ask though that you speak to the relevant store’s management prior to visiting if you are looking to try on ladies’ clothing.

BARRATTS SHOES

Have no TG policy in place. They would expect their staff to treat us in the same way as anyone else and the managers would be as discreet as possible. They confirmed they already have regular TG customers at both their regular store and at their online sister company www.tall-small.com The company offers ladies shoes up to size 10.

BHS

Was told on the phone they have no TG policies and they’re fine for us to try on ladies clothing in the male fitting rooms.

DEBENHAMS

The company advised they are happy to provide a service to everyone. We can try on ladies clothing in the fitting rooms, reflecting the clothing we are wearing at the time.
    They also offer a Personal Shopper service to make our trip more enjoyable.

FRENCH CONNECTION

Have no TG policy. Their staff are trained to the highest level to deal with the individual needs of each customer.

H & M

Again, no TG policy. They treat everyone the same. Basically, you can try on ladies clothing as long as you use the male or uni-sex fitting rooms.

KOOKAI

They confirmed they don’t discriminate and welcome in anyone who’s interested in their clothing. They would expect their staff to treat the TG community just like any other customer. They would ask that you approach the store manager in order to use a fitting room (where possible) If a fitting room was unavailable, they mentioned their 28 day refund policy.

MARKS & SPENCER

They hoped that we would be treated sympathetically by all staff. The lady who responded to my e-mail made a point of mentioning they had a tranny working for them who was given his own toilet and fitting room. She also suggested we call the manager of the store we intend to visit to discuss the options.

NEW LOOK

Was advised we would be welcome in any of their stores but would appreciate prior notification of an intended visit so they could take into account the needs of their other customers too.

NEXT

No TG policy. Their intention is to provide a high standard of service to all their customers and would expect their staff to be sympathetic, professional and helpful towards our gender and purchases. They also remarked we can use fitting rooms associated to our own gender.

RIVER ISLAND

They advised they don’t discriminate in any way and that we can try on clothing in the male fitting rooms. Also suggested that you phone ahead with your request.
    original link http://rosesforum.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=9093
    Last edited by Jamie M; 08-15-2005 at 11:10 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

My Facebook Page

Lane Bryant is very CD friendly. The other day I went in to buy some bras, a new clerk asked if I had "her" size right? I told her they were for me, she asked if I wanted to be measured, to be sure I had the right size. She said it could be done in a changing room, for privacy. It don't get no better than that. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Billijo49504
    Lane Bryant is very CD friendly. The other day I went in to buy some bras, a new clerk asked if I had "her" size right? I told her they were for me, she asked if I wanted to be measured, to be sure I had the right size. She said it could be done in a changing room, for privacy. It don't get no better than that. IMHO

They're the plus size store aren't they? Please tell me so as I am about a size 14

i go shoping at its fashion realy nice clothes and shoes at deciant prices and the fashion bug luv it when they have there reduce sales

I get no respect!!

I shop at brick and mortar stores mostly in guy mode. On a few occasions, the cashier will ask for whom I'm buying the item. I'll mumble something, and that's the end of it.

Today, I bought a pair of heels at Ross in guy mode. The pretty young cashier asked who the shoes were for. My usual mumble...then she playfully asks.."For you?"..I thought what the heck, "Yeah, for me", she insists "No, seriously, who're they for?" "They're for me", she finally gives up.."Well whoever they're for, hope she likes 'em". Gee, can't even pass as a CD.

Mitzi

Cereal Killer Ashley in Virginia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nylonfetishist
    They're the plus size store aren't they? Please tell me so as I am about a size 14
    Yeah, lane Bryant is for fat chicks.
    If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now.

Home girl in the main LucyLondon's Avatar
    I've got well passed worrying about what the shop assistants think when I buy things, bought a short denim skirt and some very short shorts in my local New Look sale today, £10 for both! Its a great place to shop, I agree Debenhams is too, as well as M&S. Most shop assistants don't really care, its just a job! But then I haven't got the nerve to go out dressed en-femme yet, but the only area where I might be obvious is footwear, otherwise I'm a normal'ish 14-16 girl size.
    Lucy

God invented Silk and Lace, So lets wear it!

Yes, I do buy some clothes in stores around me. It usually doesn't bother me if people look. If I feel that someone is trying to read me, I head to the card section and look at birthday cards, or toss a thing of birthday wrapping paper in. Hopefully that throws off anyone that maybe looking. If the cashier gives a look, I ask if I can bring stuff back that doesn't it my girlfriend (weather I have one or not) if it doesn't fit her right. I then state that I am not very good about buying her clothes.
    Man! I feel like a woman!

Quote Originally Posted by nylonfetishist
    Lane Bryant rocks. Yes they sell plus sizes, but they also sell smaller sizes, I'm a 14 skirt, but my chest/shoulders are size 18/20. They also sell unusual sized bras. I'm a natural 40C and that can be kinda hard to find in some stores, but not at LB. I've seen alot of odd sizes there, 42B, 44B and others.
    As far as shopping in drab, don't worry about it. Stores are there to make money, and your money is just as good as anybody elses. The truth is nobody cares. Mcdonalds doesn't care who buys their hamburgers, all they care about is the profit margin. Besides, I highly doubt you'd be the first guy buying womans clothes the clerk would have seen. They certainly won't say anything or make comments, not if they wanted to keep there jobs. As for other customers, they're probabily thinking your buying for your wife (you can always buy a cheapo $10 psuedo wedding type ring to wear if you like, I did that before I got married). If your worried about someone you know seeing you, just go over to the next town. So go out and go shopping.