Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going out with a Handbag (Purse)

Going out with a Handbag (Purse)

The first time I went out dressed, I thought very little about carrying an handbag, or indeed what to put into it, I was more interested in what I looked like and whether I was passable, but I soon found out I felt awkward, did I carry the bag by it's handle, or in the crook of my arm, then when I needed something how to find it and keep my poise!
    Since then, I have spent a considerble amount of time studying women using their handbadgs. What I did was to use my handbag at home, keep my every day effects in it, and I have now become comfortable going out with my handbag.
    I was just wondering if any of you girls had the same problem, and if so, what did you do, so that you did not stand out like a sour thumb.
    As always my best wishes to you all,
    Lesley Ann xx

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have been carrying a handbag for many years. Of course, before my wife passed away, I was Stephanie when I was carrying the handbag. Now that she is no longer around to fix my wig and do my makeup, I still go out dressed but with no wig or makeup. Just a guy dressed like a female and carrying a purse! Surprisingly, the only comments I usually get are compliments on my outfits!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Aspiring Member

Travel light...

If I'm out for dinner or a movie, I have no need to bring the kitchen sink...

Just ID and some cash, a credit card, a lipstick.

I do keep some "back up" stuff in the car, and maybe "stashed" in my clothes, but I rarely need anything beyond the ID and cash.

Purses, just the same, can be fun as an accessory to an outfit. And, I do prefer smaller to larger in that department...

I feel more feminine with a hand bag and I love rummaging through it looking for lipstick or my brush. I always carry an extra pair of hose in case I get a snag.

Quote Originally Posted by irenetancd View Post
    I don't carry hand bag. But I have a bagpack. That is definitely not passable
    Whenever I go out I carry a purse. I have many in different shapes and colors to coordinate the accesories. I carry alot of stuff cause it takes so much to hold the look; lip stick, compact, touch up make up, scent, lotion, wallet, cell phone, keys, check book, etc. Maybe I should carry a back pack.
    joank
    Southern California

It takes a lot of practice to make taking your purse with you an automatic thing. Done long enough it will become second nature and you would become lost without it.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

It's not a purse, it's a European shoulder bag.
    It was a gift.

I too spent a great deal of time studying how other women carry and use their handbags and what type they prefer and now always carry mine on my shoulder with quite a long strap on it and my hand on the bag - very very few women do not carry a handbag of some type - fun to watch other women and it makes me proud that I'm so particular how I present and act when out in public - Ellen

Have been carrying a purse for sometime, feels more feminine. I carry cash, credit cards, license, check book, small brush, small amt of makeup for touchups, and my cell phone. I usually have it on my shoulder with one hand on the strap but I occassionaly carry it hanging down with the shoulder strap in my hands and sometimes in the crook of my elbow.

I don't carry a purse around, but I do use a newsboy bag to carry all my makeup, camera (gotta have it all the time!), keys, wallet... you get the point! I've gotten used to using and bringing it after going out twice. Ideally, I do want a handbag (a Juicy Couture handbag would be a dream) but for now the newsboy bag suits my needs perfectly.

GG's learn abot purses at a young age and most feel naked without one. To them carrying a purse is as natural as smoothing your skirt when you sit down, keeping your knees together in a skirt, and other feminine things. To us it must be a learned characteristic. I feel naked without a purse now and wonder how I ever got by stuffing in my pockets. Find a purse that fits your needs and what you want to carry in it is the key. For everyday I prefer a purse with two compartments were I can keep my wallet and keys on one side and my make-up, brush, spare pair of pantyhose, and a few other things on the other. I also look for a place where my cell phone is handy. For evening I do downsize for ease and style.

It takes time girl but soon you will dread going in male drab and having to stuff your pockets and sit on your wallet.

Gold Member
    I have been carrying a purse/handbag In drab for the last 3 years.
    It's my wifes, she has to use a walker to get around, so I get the duty.
    I guess I am getting practice for when the real time comes. LOL Rader

Gold Member
    funny as it seems, I feel akward carrying a purse/handbag/whatever.

Just more junk to lug around. I rather just crap my pockets.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

RADER - Men carrying purses may come soon, as in a current Progressive ad. Some shoulder bags are ideal, such as a Buxton Bag

Carry it any way you feel comfortable. I sometimes put it over my shoulder and sometimes I just carry it by the handles. Once in a while in the crook of my arm.
    And not worry about looking graceful searching for something in it. I have seen GG's dump their purses in search of something.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

The avvy pic isn't me
    Yeah when i get to the going out point, i'll be carrying a handbag/clutch etc, and i think it will help with the comfort factor, cause when i get nervous i need something in my hands. Also will be a handy place for the swiss army pocketknife.....wink, wink. mj (Cassie)

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    I have been carrying a purse now for just under a year. Everyday as this is what I affectionately refer to as my man bag. All my stuff is always in the same place. I love it.

Now it is very rare for me to take it with me where ever I go but I always take it, but if I am running into the store for a pop or something I just pull out my wallet and I am on my way. But I have thought about bringing it to more places.

I dont remember the brand of my bag but I am comfortable as it looks a lot like the european hand bag, LOL.

essential!

a purse is essential! a woman out without a purse is odd. most women's clothes have no pockets or very small ones that aren't intended to hold anything. unless you're out jogging or walking in the park during the day, i suppose, you need a purse! carry it however is comfortable.

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    I've been carrying a purse in all modes for years now. In boymode, I've gotten a lot of compliments about it -- like: finally guys are seeing how practical it is.

Contents -- wallet, brush, keys, passport, hair poni-tailers, mascara, -eds.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

At work

I carry a tool pouch at work and i think of it as a long handle purse

I also have a meter in a pouch that fits quite comfortably under my arm... like a strapless.

I get lots of practice every day

When I went out today, I just put in my wallet,cash,car& house keys and lipstick and carry in on my shoulder like alot of GG's

I know this might sound odd, but I can't stand those so called "man purses". In guy mode, I could never carry one of those.

Felicity
    "Its now official,my femme name is Felicity"

Have to drink to that.

"Proud To Be My Wife's Part Time Wife"

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I carry one and for me I have found that I carry mine on the same side and when I switch sides it is different! However I have no real problems with mine and I think mine is a little too full!

How?

I don't know how any of us could even consider going out and hoping to pass without a handbag. Why not just put a big "im a crossdresser" sign on instead?
    Hugs, Christine
    Just the Girl Next Door
    my ad V
    V

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissiej

I use to carry my wifes bag in the store so I feel at home with one
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

I've carried a purse for several years while dressed "drab". Only one negative comment by a guy & his wife and mine shut him up. Since I retired, don't go out as much so haven't been using the shoulder bag. Wifey (who doesn't support my dressing asked me the other day why I wasn't using it as much lately (go figure!) Bobbie