Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's all in the fingers ...

It's all in the fingers ...

Ok, this is a very minor pet peeve ...

I notice that many T-girls of various stripes have their fingers splayed out (fingertips separated making the hand wider) when posing, as if they were palming a volleyball .

I think it's more feminine (and looks better, too!) to keep the fingertips close together -- it seems to make the hands look smaller and longer.

It seems to me that GG's typically have their fingers relaxed and together in pictures, while many T-girls are spreading them out (perhaps to draw attention to their nails?) -- but to me it makes the hands look big, and it seems like a masculine thing to do.

Ok, I'm ready for the onslaught of photos of GG's with spread fingers ...
    Last edited by dilane; 04-14-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Grammah

You have made a very astute observation from my perspective.

Oh no, the Hand Police!

Actually I kinda agree.
    Some on this board have talked of tucking the thumb knuckle behind the palm to create a less broader hand.

I have a weird technique that only I can do, and that is to display my left hand as much as possible since it has slightly atrophied from an injury from falling off a roof and onto a patio and breaking it. I have some tendonititis and don't use it as much, and as a result of less muscle mass, it has become smaller than my right hand .....a blessing in disguise, I suppose.

I try to use as much skin lotion to help create that translucentness that women's skin always has. I'm not planning on going down the E-route anytime soon.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 04-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    I have a weird technique that only I can do, and that is to display my left hand as much as possible since it has slightly atrophied from an injury from falling off a roof and onto a patio and breaking it. I have some tendonititis and don't use it as much, and as a result of less muscle mass, it has become smaller than my right hand .....a blessing in disguise, I suppose.
    It sounds like you don't recommend this technique as a way to reduce hand size.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Persephone

No, tucking your thumb works for everybody....just works for me better with a lame left hand.
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-15-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: No need to qupte preceeding post

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    Oh no, the Hand Police!
    What if at a GLBT gathering, you saw the hand police, the fashion police, the gender police, and even the security guy from Walmart surrounding someone?

I umm, I will see myself out of this thread now.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Yes, Dilane, I understand what you are saying. That is why I hie my hands in pictures as well as trying to turn them sideways to the camera so you don't see the whole hand. Now, Dilane is merely stating an observation and commenting on how we all can look and present more femme. I think that we all should appreciate that. I know I do.

Banned Read only
    Someone needs to compile all these little hints to passing into an end all passing encyclopedia

spot on observation Dilane. here are a couple of things i keep in mind for pixs:

don't show the broad part of either side of my hand, rather show them thumb forward to the lens;

cusping the fingers so to touch nail to nail masks the proportion;

in photos with hand on hip reverse the hand to point to the rear or place hand flat on the hip with fingers pointing down also reduces the obvious proportion issues

placing fingertips together but slightly spread shows only the side of the hands and fingers instead of the broadest part.

of course these are only pix tips, not passing tips, and should have no bearing on one's decision to live their life as they please, either dressed at home or out in the world. in other words, don't get hung up on it. i pass these along because i've learned that photography takes a 3D object and converts it to 2D and when it does that some features that aren't so obvious in RL become obvious very fast.

Hi..

Or maybe many men have more bone & body mass between thier fingers so is easyer to let them apart . were as most women have less so closer to gether , same as legs ,or feet in how you walk .

...noeleena...

Very good observation.All tips help to achieve the girly look .I have been using camera and videos to critque makeup and mannerisms.I don't have much luck with either but any step forward is a plus .Thanks so much.

Posing for a pic is one thing!

Well,it is probably a great tip to look better in a pic.However,in real life,some of us are gifted with Shrek's hands..and some aren't[see pretty Kelly's girl hands..they are pretty any way she holds them!]. For the rest of us,we need an attractor..like a navel ring or bracelets,or rings, OR GREAT CLEAVAGE! That and Photoshop will hide those big mitts..

if you go the photoshop route, you might as well just photoshop everything!

if you want to look like a woman, you emphasize your best points, and downplay your worst...thats what many women do too...hands are a biggie for natal males (get it?)..

putting giant nails on huge hands is fun for the person doing it, but its a passability destroyer

Kelly's picture is an excellent example of how to disguise and photoshop your hands to look smaller...ahem

Dilane, I totally second your opinion.

GGs can do whatever the heck they please, even look masculine because they are GGs! There's nothing to prove in the femininity department!

In our case, especially if passing is a concern, we must play down our male features, and big hands fall squarely in this category. I'd say, cupping the hands and keeping all fingers together will make them appear smaller, hence producing a more natural and feminine-loooking image.

My two cents.

[SIZE=4]I just do what comes naturally..[/SIZE]

333 cynthia 3-17-2010 56 (2).jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Except this morning, when my wife wasleaving for work, she gave me the one finger salute..BJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    if you want to look like a woman, you emphasize your best points, and downplay your worst...thats what many women do too...hands are a biggie for natal males (get it?)
    I agree with you.

Aspiring To Become Woman Michelle-Leigh's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]You are correct re photographing of hands, we photographers follow that in our work - fingers close together, and shoot the hand more or less from its side and not the top.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Best Regards,
    Michelle-Leigh
    "We are now operating at a femininity level of 98% and rising...."
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

good thought

It's all in the signals we send out, and everyone wants to send out their best signals, regardless of gender.

Thanks for the thoughts on hands. We can't have too many suggestions on how to minimize the male signals we send out, nor too many about how to maximize the feminine signals!

tina

Thanks all for your mild-mannered reflections on the topic. I guess I can take off my asbestos Ann Taylor skirt suit now ...

And to Kelly, all I can say is: the exception proves the rule

Anyway, got to go, busy day, lots of hand police work to do ...

-- Diane

Quote Originally Posted by dilane View Post
    Anyway, got to go, busy day, lots of hand police work to do ...

-- Diane
    Next, the Feet Police.....making sure you girls don't have those Fred Flintstone feet.

Finger curl

One thing I've noticed is than GG's often touch their thumbs to their middle finger as if making an "O", the index and ring fingers are less tightly curled and the little finger even less so to the point of being nearly straight.
    This can be coupled with the hand touching the same side shoulder or with the upper arm straight down, arm bent at the elbow, forearm parallel to the ground , wrist turned with palm upper most and the hand cocked either up or downwards.

Men tend to put their thumbs onto the side of their index finger, thumb uppermost as if a loose fist with a straight wrist.

An itchy nose provokes rubbing with the side of the index finger from a male, a delicate scratch with a ring finger nail from a GG.

It's these little mannerisms that help those who choose to try to pass look more convincing. Just my people watching observations!

By god I took all that time and effort to paint my nails and someones going to see every last square inch of it!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I am a man, but a very small boned one! My hands are smaller than a lot of womans! That said, I agree with Karren. My nails are always a pretty pink and shaped like GG's! I make sure people see them!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    By god I took all that time and effort to paint my nails and someones going to see every last square inch of it!!
    Next time you play hockey, do that & don't wear the gloves. that'll distract your opponent...
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President