Thread: Best compliment I've heard in a while

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

Best compliment I've heard in a while

... and the other person didn't even know what they were saying...

I had an appointment with my GP today. I came out to him last year, and at the time he pretty much dared me to wear a dress to the next appointment. I wore a skirt instead to that next appointment (because I dress for me, not "on demand"), but clearly I made my point that it all was real, that I was Out, and that it was Pretty Serious for me. Since then, I've worn skirts or dresses to my appointments when convenient, and my normal stealth work clothes if I'm in a rush.

Today was a day for wearing a black suit/dress, together with my regular hair and earrings and a bit of lipstick. Nice, but nothing fancy.

I entered in the office, waited a few minutes for the receptionist to be available. She said "Hi", so I went over to confirm my attendance and get my turn number. She looked at my for a short time, then scanned down her list of appointments, and looked up at me and asked, "Do you have an appointment?". To which I replied, "Oh yes, at 10:20." She looked down in the list again, read off the patient name, and you could practically see the light-bulb turning on in her head. She said my male name, and then said, "Sorry, I didn't recognize you". This is the same receptionist that has been there for at least the last 5 years, and she's seen me dressed before.

The implied compliment was that I've finally started looking different enough, femme enough, that even someone who has seen me dozens of times didn't recognize me. This is a bigger step than it might sound, as normally I am recognized quite easily even when fully Dressed... to the point where there has been hardly anyone who has not recognized me.

It was a small thing, but it made my day.

luv the story...good for you!!!

Great story, good for you!!!

PS: Loved your Mark Twain quote!

That was a great compliment. You must be doing something right
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Congratulations!

"a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest", as do women, receptionists included--not such a bad thing most of the time. Why did you come out to your doctor originally?

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    ... and the other person didn't even know what they were saying...

It was a small thing, but it made my day.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]That doesn't sound like such a small thing to me. It sounds like it's time to Celebrate.
    Katt

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
    Why did you come out to your doctor originally?
    The circumstances were more or less an accident... See here

Quote Originally Posted by irenetancd View Post
    isn't that all the CDs want? en femme enough that you look like a girl, and look totally different that you will not be easily identified.
    For most of a year now, I've been identifying as TG; the informal tests tend to place me one step to the male side of centre, as what would sometimes be called androgynous. I've been wearing more or less "stealth" clothes to work for about 3 3/4 years, got my ears done over a year ago and have worn some distinctive earrings at work; have grown my hair down to a little below my collar bones & shoulder blades; pretty much stopped wearing a wig; and frequently wear forms (C, D, F, or G) "around" even in "male face"... even at work from time to time. If I feel like wearing a skirt or dress to do whatever, then I do so... except not at work and not so much at home (M-I-L lives with us, and has a care attendant during the day.)

Thus, my aim is not to look femme when I want to and to look like someone completely different at other times: I am aiming more towards blending male and female in all aspects of my life, towards integrating myself more fully. But for reasons I've never figured out, people have been seeing the guy, no matter where I am or how I am dressed... yet they are almost always cool with me being be blend, sort of like it was something they already knew. Today (and a small incident recently at an airport) marked not that I'm dressing differently, but rather that the integrated me is finally developing enough to be perceived as someone different from the old "I was brought up as a guy so I guess I must be a guy" person.

I have no mental problem with being identified as transgendered by other people. If the shoe fits... buy two pairs, in different colours ;-)

Perhaps a CD's dream is to be able to transform into secret identities, but a TG's dream is to be accepted by people "as is", as a whole person, not as "the harmlessly odd nice guy" or whatever.
    Last edited by sandra-leigh; 04-16-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Add response to Irene

it is really wonderful when life just goes right

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    good on ya, i wish i had the courage to go out dressed more often!

Not so new of a girl Missy Tanya's Avatar
    At my age, I will take any complement I can get. Isn't it funny that we get more complements being pretty than in drab.. I guess its true, girls do have more fun..

Tanya

sounds like a great day even if you did have to see the doc.

P.S. I love the quote too.
    Michelle

Hahaha way to go!

Best compliment I've heard in a while

I think that's great,you have come a long ways,