Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Questions & Issues for NHS/United Kingdom Members

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    The driver number is made up of 3 parts:
    1. Last Name
    2. Date of birth mildly encoded
    3. Initials plus unique code

In part 2, digits 3 & 4 give your month of birth. If you are female, they add 50 to your birth month. So on my old license part 2 read 501256 and on the new 551256
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Rianna,

Cheers - ahh, the DVLA have done the right thing (for once). Another great thing is: they added "A" onto it whilst at it, so now I am allowed to drive a motorbike as well, sweet - that saved me the bother to spend money on getting that myself.

(Still got heaps of licenses from other countries to deal with, I assume my California and Australia licenses will be hard work.)

Hugs
    /Giovanna - www.wannabegirl.co.uk (15 days until Nottingham)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    DVLA accepted that and automatically changed my coding to reflect my new gender. If that website says you need a GRC before changing your title then you need to use someone who knows about this part of preparing a deed poll.
    Thanks. The site does say I don't need a GRC to change my title, i was just a little confused about whether the gender marker on my documents would also be updated with the name change.

When I send off my legal copies of the deed poll, do I need to request that they also change my gender marker for each document that I am getting updated? I don't know which documents will allow changing the gender marker to female without the Gender Recognition Certificate.

I left the government departments to decide how they wanted to classify Ms Rianna Humble. I know that I cannot be born without a GRC and presumably I can't die without it either

My GP has my gender down as female, but the blood tests for the GIC were marked to be compared to male standards (understandably).

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

okay thank you Rianna

So, I have now two NHS Medical Cards, in two different names and two different numbers, is this how things are supposed to be?

A little bit OT but after reading http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/a...nge-your-name/

I assume I won't be needing to do anything regarding my NI number, but it says: "The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will alter your name on their records and will issue a new plastic National Insurance Number Card with that name on it."

Is this out of date? I have been lead to believe that you don't get them little plastic cards no more. It would be great to have one as I used my old one for shoehorn a while back - it kinda cracked. I should have used my amex I know...

Hugs
    /Giovanna - www.wannabegirl.co.uk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You will need to send an original deed poll to HMRC NI section. Unlike the tax part of HMRC they will not do it by phone.

Rianna,

As I suspected, they don't do them plastic NI cards no more. Got the paper version, would have been nice to have the card now when I want to rebuild a new life.

Hugs
    /Giovanna - 18692 minutes to Nottingham
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea about current waiting times to be seen by Leeds GIC?

Thanks,

Rachel
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

Rachel,

Not sure about Leeds, but my in my experience, Nottingham - 6 weeks for GP -> shrink and then 5 months exactly for shrink -> Nottingham GIC. Only 10 days to wait now. So, it is not happening over nite it seems.

Then again it took me 7 months of nagging at my GP to send me off the the shrink.

Hugs
    /Giovanna - www.wannabegirl.co.uk - @GiovannaDelNord
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leeds is pretty quick that is where Nigella went, but no appointment will be made until funding has been acquired.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Yep, so here I am at Nottingham GC - to be seen in 55 minutes. So nervous it is not even funny.

Hugs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK, so over a month ago my doctor said he would refer me to Leeds GIC. I got a letter today which is a copy of a letter sent to my doctor from Leeds, and it says that they've recieved a referral from the psychiatrist I saw but that in order for it to be considered a full referral, they would need a supporting referral from my goc. So either my doctor didn't refer me (which I doubt as he gave me assurances he would) or he did but didn't fulfil the requirements of a full referral, which are listed on the letter: A full physical, a raft of blood tests, full medical history, and most sinister sounding of all, an examination of 'the sexual characteristics', which I'm assuming means genitals. A few of you on here have said that that isn't neccessary, and I'd rather not do it if I don't have to, but if it sped things up I would be prepared for it.

I'm guessing my next step is to make another appointment with my GP. I don't really know what this all means, could this be considered a good sign that they at least know of my existence?

Nigella didn't have to do any of this, and like Deborah bloods were first taken prior to her first appointment with the endo.

I would make an appointment to see your GP and ask what is going on.

EDIT

and she went to Leeds.
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

I have made an appointment with my gp on Monday. I don't really mind about blood tests but I'm not keen on examinations. Having said that, I don't want to delay things any further, I hate living in this weird limbo.

My gp seemed to have done his research last time I saw him so this is probably all news to him as well.

I've now seen my gp, I let him do the physical exam and have to go in for the blood tests tomorrow morning. I trust my doctor and to be honest it was over with pretty quickly. I figured that not kicking up a fuss would avoid any further delays. Leeds will have all the info they asked for, so they can get in with adding me to the waiting list!

I got a letter today:

"Dear dr ________

Thank you for your recent correspondence in relation to ____________ and your application for funding for referral to the gender identity service in Leeds for him.

Please refer the patient directly to the service who will assess the patient and determine the appropriate course of action in line with the national guidelines and policies as this is part of the current pathway.

If you require any further information please contact the individual funding request (IFR) team.

Yours sincerely,

This is good news, right?

Definitely good news! This is your copy of the letter to your doctor. (s)he can now refer you onto Leeds GIC with confirmation that their treatment will be funded.

Congratulations Amy, you are on your way.

Thanks Rianna!! Wahey!!! I'm so relieved!

Good news ................
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

I just recieved a letter from Leeds saying that they are only contracted to see 160 new patietnts this year, and all assessments have been allocated, so I will be seen the the 2014-2015 financial year. This means I am going to be waiting for at least 10 months before even having an initial assessment. I'm completely gutted!

The only thing I suppose I can do now is put aside my disappointment and consider my options. There's private, at least for hormones, but I don't think I can afford that, and I'm not even sure where to start with it. My doctor originally offered me a choice of Leeds or Charing Cross, but I have no idea if it actually works like that and if Charing Cross' waiting times are any better.

The final option is to wait it out at Leeds but start living full time towards the end of this year when hopefully my hair is long enough. Will Leeds take that into account though, if I've been full time with name changed for six months by the time I see them?

Untitled
    I doubt that you could now be referred to Charing Cross as you have been offered a place with Leeds, having said that, why not visit your GP and see if he/she can help with that. You can start your transition now, preparing yourself to live in your true gender. Start hair removal, start living (dressing, using female facilities, working as a female, name change, etc etc etc). Gather the evidence of name change, living as your new self, I assume you will be known as Amy.

Get bills, bank accounts, phone accounts and other things changed, work payslips, if working, or DHSS payment details etc all changed to your new name. Leeds or any GIC will want written proof of your RLE.

It would seem that funding caps are being placed on GICs who then have to limit the number of transgendered people they can see in any given financial year.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Strange, I only had to wait for 6 months to get to Nottingham (second assement 3rd of July). Apparently I'm lucky as in the East Midlands you can get both upper and lower surgery. It is the only part of the country you can get the upper from what I hear (from the NHS). Also, in the West Midlands one can get voice therapy I understand. I have also been informed that some surgeons from CHX in LDN do private stuff in Brighton and you can be referred there by the NHS strange as it seems. Is it true we only got two surgeons at CHX?

Hugs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Nigella, I've formed a plan of sorts and will do as you suggest and keep any documents that prove my RLE. I'm quite lucky in that my employers already know of my plans and are completely supportive so I'll be able to provide evidence of living as a woman in employment as well.

I'm going to Oktoberfest in September and as soon as I get back that'll be it; I'll get my name changed to Amy and start living 24/7 as female. I can't hang on any longer, the only thing that's stopped me so far is that my hair isn't long enough yet and I don't feel comfortable/confident in a wig. I started facial hair removal last month, but I don't have much to speak of anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johanna.kitten View Post
    Strange, I only had to wait for 6 months to get to Nottingham (second assement 3rd of July).
    No it's not strange different GIC have different waiting times, Charring Cross is a heck of a lot longer.
    Apparently I'm lucky as in the East Midlands you can get both upper and lower surgery. It is the only part of the country you can get the upper from what I hear (from the NHS).
    You are wrong. Nigella was told at Leeds that she could have upper surgery if she wanted it, as it is part of the core treatment and it is on the NHS

Also, in the West Midlands one can get voice therapy I understand.
    Again Leeds do this and it is funded by the NHS

I have also been informed that some surgeons from CHX in LDN do private stuff in Brighton and you can be referred there by the NHS strange as it seems. Is it true we only got two surgeons at CHX?
    Ok the surgeons at charring cross are private and do the work there as well as at there private practice, none of the surgeons in the UK are NHS they are all private surgeons but do some work for the NHS.

Maybe you should check with who is giving you all this incorrect information before posting it here.
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna