Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom protocol...In a gay club?

Bathroom protocol...In a gay club?

I'll be off in montreal this weekend with a Tgirl friend and part of the plan is to visit some of the clubs along St Catherines en femme , and I know generally use the one of the gender you're representing, but does that differ at all in gay clubs?The one in particular I'm thinking of going off to has as much lesbian patrons as male gay if that makes a difference.

Amanda

Answer please !

Erm, somebody please reply to this thread for me !

I'm new and will be popping out "dressed" tomorrow night and would like to know the "general rule" on which washroom to go to !!

Since Montreal is such a cosmopolitan city and open to our community, I would just ask the bartender, waitress or waiter. Don't be shy.

I always use the room to which I am dressed. Doesn't matter where I am
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    I think they have porta johns in the alleys specifically for trans people!!

Ok sooooooooo.............umm are you going to to go the bathroom standing up? Might be a good idea to use the mens.

On the other hand if you are going to go to the bathroom like a lady and you look like a lady............do you think it would be appropriate to go to the mens room?????????

Katie

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Never found it an issue in any Gay Club I have been in,Just use the toilet of whatever side of you is being presented,and I would be very suprised If anyone had an objection
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

im gay...gender doesn't ever matter in a gay club. They may be marked, but lots of times they are not gender specific. Even if they are, go into the girls, or use a stall in mens, it doesn't matter at all.

Hi hon,

Use the ladies. If you stand up remember to put the seat back down - and make sure you are tucked again afterwards

Have fun
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    My advice is go for the ladies. About 10 years ago I got some schtick at a halloween party that the local CD group had at local gay bar from one of the GGs for using the ladies. Gave her a strong frown of disapproval of her reaction, made a hand gesture referencing what I was wearing and then moved on.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    In Winnipeg, there are two gay clubs, across the alley from each other. At one, the regulars don't blink twice at either sex or any gender or presentation going into either rest-room, and if it is busier, it is common for GGs to go into which-ever one has the shorter line-up. I only once heard a GG grumble about it, but it was only a grumble and not a "pointedly raised voice" and not said to any of the gender-enhanced folk who had gone into the room without the urinals. The staff and management there wouldn't dream of suggesting that anyone should use any particular restroom in order to make someone else comfortable, and have emphasized to us that if anyone should ever bother us for being as we are, that the other person would be invited to choose between re-thinking and departing.

I have not been to the other club very often. I did once overhear a couple of male customers laughing at the cross-dressers, which I have never encountered at the other club. The staff and management there has never given me any problem, but they also have not given me any enthusiasm. I can say, though, that when I was working the door and coatroom there once for an event, the staff was quite attentive when I signaled that I was having trouble with someone. I have had more than one CD or TS person tell me that they have not had any trouble from the staff at that second club -- but yes, it does have a different feel to it.

I do not think that you can entirely predict the "feel" of a club or the staff or customers just by knowing that it is a "gay" club or a "lesbian" club. Some lesbian clubs discourage even gay male customers, because they want to feel like "sanctuaries" to the women; others encourage anyone to visit under the theory that the visitors are implicitly indicating acceptance and support for their core clients.

Silver Member
    If you are not legally female/transitioning, and you want to be sure to avoid any possible trouble, ask the management which one you should use (and use it.)

At the local gay place, they ask those who are not legally female/transitioning to use the men's room. I do ask they ask, it is clean and physically safe so I have no problem doing as they wish.

If there are other crossdressers hold it as long as you can and see where they go. Many gay bars have no gender indication on the restrooms, you simply use which ever one is available. Be careful, it is considered bad form to go into a single stall bathroom with more than four other people.

which one

My Fave gay club here in Baltimore recently made all rooms unisex the signs just say "Restroom" Now days.Makes life easier all round.
    Hugs and Kisses
    Annette
    "It takes more courage for a man to appear in public wearing a dress than to charge into battle"

Me July 2005

I've ALWAYS used the female bathrooms - ESPECIALLY in gay bars.'
    If you are worried about it, you might consider asking the bartender as someone else suggested, but in 15 years of doing it, I've never received an unkind comment or dirty look.

Aspiring Member
    I was at a gay bar in Minneapolis a few years ago, and they had kicked the guys out of the womens restroom. One was dressed. At another gay bar(heresay) the management kept a cd from using the womensroom. Minnesota is sooooo uptight. I always here how liberal Minnesotans are. Yet they are so phobic about GLBT type establishments. The best place for cd/tg to go is in St Paul.

This is exactly why I don't bother to go to gay clubs, nobody knows what to do. I always use the ladies room, no matter where I am, and I've never had a problem.
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    I was so nervous about which restroom to use the last time I went out, I held it all night (5 hours) I kept checking over my shoulder to see if I could see which one to use. Never saw anyone go in or out of either bathroom. The first time I was there I was told to use the mens room so I did and as I was leaving a genuine girl went into the mens restroom and gave me a look of wtf. So I am still confused because I was told that last time to use the women room. So i have decided that I am going to use the room I am representing unless their is a unisex restroom available.

I think it depends what it has on the door... if it is a picture of someone wearing a dress and you have a dress on you use that one, if you match the one with pants use that one.
    Chickie

If I am presenting as a lady then I always use the ladies....even if it is a gay bar/club. Same in any place I happen to be. So far never had a problem......but if you are in doubt, then ask the staff.

If you are dressed as a lady, why would you use anything other than the ladies room? And sit down! My local gay bar is not a large place. Two single use, unisex bathrooms.

Hugs, Terri

dont worry about a thing..if its a younger crowd, there is gonna be all kinds of things going on in the bathrooms...

in the quieter clubs, i've seen mostly private bathrooms...and i would definitely knock before entering ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dorisnycd View Post
    im gay...gender doesn't ever matter in a gay club. They may be marked, but lots of times they are not gender specific. Even if they are, go into the girls, or use a stall in mens, it doesn't matter at all.
    I second what Doris wrote. Where I live, the correct toilet in such a club is the one not being used.

It doesn't matter whether it's a gay bar, straight bar, restaurant, or the mall, I use whichever bathroom correspondes with the gender I am presenting at the time. I have never had any problems or complaints using this formula.

The patrons at the gay clubs I have visited in Milwaukee have never had issues with me using the ladies room when I'm dressed. I've never been to Montreal but I'm guessing it will be the same there.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I've heard from others (not from personal experience, I don't go to clubs) that people sometimes get so crazy at a club, that you'll see genetic women actually standing, yes, STANDING to pee. As well as people just flowing in and out of either restroom...

It's possible for women to stand to pee...if you want more info you'll have to Google it though.