Thread: Excuse me sir/madam

Question Excuse me sir/madam

We have all met them while shopping, the survey peeps who accost us to find out what brand of coffee we use, beer we drink, whether we use Marg or butter, drink Pepsi or Coke so you get accosted today with the words

"Excuse me, we are conducting a survey into Transgenderism and would be grateful if you could help with our survey, we do not need your name or any personal details and it will take a very short time, would you be willing to answer our questions ?"

How would you react ?

would it depend on who you were with

would it depend on whether you were shopping locally or away from home

would you answer the following questions?

1) Do you understand what the term Transgendered means ?

2) Do you know a Transgendered person in your family/locality/workplace/social group (tick all that apply)

3) are you yourself Transgendered ?

4) do you believe Transgenderism to be a mental illness

Please say if any of your answer would differ if you were answering them on your own or with someone who knew about your TGism, or how & why they would differ if you were with someone who did not know, a relative friend work colleague, And please say which answers would differ

thanks Sheila

I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

I don't think I would miss a beat if someone asked my opinion for a survey like that. (But I attended a very liberal college, with a large population of gays/lesbians/bisexuals)

The only one that would change with the situation I'm in is #3.

The others I would have no problem answering truthfully, but If I was with someone I was hiding my CDing from, I would have to lie for #3.
    We're here for a good time, not a long time.
    So have a good time. The sun can't shine everyday.

actually while shopping i have never had someone come up to me for a survey about political or social issues etc.

back on task
    i rarely if ever more like never, as a rule particiapte in surveys of any kind becasue I have no interest in providing ionfomation to big business.
    the exceptions would be gov census or if required for work

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    If I was with someone I didn't feel should know (possible, even if improbable), then for the question about transgendered, I might say, "Isn't everyone?" rather than straight "Yes".

No harm in admitting to knowing something about gender identity, and no-one would be surprised at my knowing about such a thing, as I'm known for being independent and eclectic. People would probably be more surprised if I didn't know something on the topic -- and that's even if they haven't noticed the not-hidden dangling earrings and long hair and so on.

I have nothing to hide so my answers wouldn't vary
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

I would have to cue from my wife. If I thought I was going to embarrass her talking about it at all then I would have to decline or give her time to move away.

For anyone else the only tricky question is number three. The deciding factor would be whether that person would be in a position to cause harm to my family with that knowledge or not. Out of town I'd answer the questions honestly. At home I have to keep the lights on and food on the table and I can't do that without my job.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Sorry I know this is in the MtF section but I wanted to answer

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    How would you react ?
    I’d be happy to answer the questions. A bit surprised but hey! I like surprises

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    1) Do you understand what the term Transgendered means ?

2) Do you know a Transgendered person in your family/locality/workplace/social group (tick all that apply)

3) are you yourself Transgendered ?

4) do you believe Transgenderism to be a mental illness
    I’d probably say yes to #1, yes to #2 and say a family member or friend, No to #3 and No to #4.

I wouldn’t out myself to a complete stranger unless I had no other choice [like for example, if i got arrested, i think i'd need to tell them then lol]…but I would add I was very open minded when it came to the transgendered community. I like to know I am blending in, therefore I would say no to number 3, if they don’t look twice I know I’m gooooood…if they do…well I’m sh*t obviously
    Last edited by NiCo; 05-15-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]-Broken out of a window in hell-[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by NiCo View Post
    Sorry I know this is in the MtF section but I wanted to answer
    I know being the wrong team supporter you have colour blindness but I assumed you can read .................. which part of [SIZE="4"]SIR [/SIZE]did you not understand ......... & plus Nico you should know me better than that, any question I ask is open to all unless I specifically request certain sections not to answer and what sort of a survey would it be if I excluded the meatheads (joking)

Thanks Nico, can you persuade the other guys to come answer please, please please, pretty please
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

Well I assumed you do what I and others often do and that is include male and female pronouns or titles so as not to make the other [not included] gender feel "left out"…or something…

*puts down the spade* never mind…yes, I am getting more and more blind…I seriously need my glasses but the house is yet the be unpacked since we moved

COME ON LADS, LETS INVADE!

P.s I see what you did there Sheila in regards to the PM
    Last edited by NiCo; 05-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]-Broken out of a window in hell-[/SIZE]

Just wanted to get my answers in before the invasion begins. Even though I'm in the closet, I don't think anyone would be surprized if I knew something about this subject. I read a lot of non-fiction so I'm known to have more than the usual amount of oddball knowledge. What's surprizing to me is how different my answers are now from what they would have been just 6 weeks ago, before I joined the forum.

1) Gender is best understood as a spectrum with some percentage at the extremes and the rest somewhere in the middle. (Thanks Milo)

2) Excluding me, no.

3) Yes, just a bit of female thrown in for good measure. (I get dewey-eyed at the movies)

4) No.

1,2 and ,3 would have been "no", 4 would have been "probably".
    Silk bloomers make me wanna dance.

I would absolutely participate in the survey. (In fact, I have participated in surveys of this kind for cars and coffee while dressed enfemme). The answers would be yes to 1-3 and no to 4.

I would answer whether alone or with someone and my answers would be the same.

I would feel like they were profiling me.

Who I was with or where I was would not matter.

1. Maybe a little...
    2. Yes to all but workplace.
    3. I plead the 5th, Your Honor.
    4. No.
    "Impossible" is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try. Kutless - What Faith Can Do
    Quote Originally Posted by My sister Lilli
    Yes, your happy shows - you practically have unicorns and starbursts flying out of you.
    Physically female!

If I'm alone, I'd answer it all honestly. I see no reason to fear people who are actually studying the subject, and who knows might it even help to be more understood, if results get published.

If I'm with family/friends, I'd probably make up an excuse of having no time, and then return to them alone after ditching my company for a moment
    "One day Jessy, I'm gonna show you the world..."

God stepped back, looked at Adam, and declared "I can do better than that!" and so He created women.
    The ITer stepped back, looked at the beta results, and declared "I can do better than that!" and so he created the final version.
    Sometimes in the final version, some of the beta crap still remains. I know, because I'm living proof.

These answers wouldn't matter whether I am in boy mode or girl mode. In fact, these answers wouldn't matter who I'm with. It's not like my family's going to peek over my shoulder to see what I answered

How would you react?
    I would be happy to answer the questions!

Would it depend on who you were with?
    Unless we are pressed for time, not really.

Would it depend on whether you were shopping locally or away from home?
    Nope. I'll answer them regardless.

Would you answer the following questions?
    1) Do you understand what the term Transgendered means?
    Yes. Answer: Yup!

2) Do you know a Transgendered person in your family/locality/workplace/social group (tick all that apply)?
    Yes. Answer: Social group.

3) Are you yourself Transgendered?
    Yes. Answer: You bet your bum I am!

4) Do you believe Transgenderism to be a mental illness?
    Yes. Answer: Nope!

only "problem" is i never let them get more that the first blip out of there mouths as i shut them down hard and ugly.
    i do not like the intrusion in my life, not even junk mail.

and both sides of my self gets junk mail, so it is double here in the po box.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I remember once I saw an extended preview of a movie and was asked my opinion of it. The movie was Titanic, I saw the preview a year before the movie came out. I knew then I wanted to see it but I had to wait quite a while.
    Yes, I would answer the survey, in fact he last time I was in a mall I was en femme so I would have to answer yes to most except the one about TG being a mental illness.
    I'm not out to the people I work with but I don't think they need to know and I can't imagine going to a mall with any of them.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8