Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe the mirror or the camera?

Do you believe the mirror or the camera?

I finally got a chance to dress up enfemme on Sunday . It’s literally the first time I’ve put on makeup in over seven years. Some of it came back – just like riding a bike - but some not so much! I’ve always had a hard time with foundation; I used to use way too much, so this time I really, really tried to use less and I think I ended up using too little instead ! Arg! It’s too bad I didn’t have time to do it more than once, because I’d like to try a couple of variations, to see what difference it would make. Practice, practice, practice as they say…

Anyway, when all was said and done I don’t think it looked TOO bad, judging from what I saw in the mirror. But when I took some photos, I looked all washed out, like some vampire or bloodless zombie ! Ick! (Yes, I found the best photo of the bunch and updated my profile… but beware, only the strong of stomach should venture there; or maybe use the old mirror trick to avoid being turned to stone… shudder…). I’m not really much of a shutter bug, so my lack of skill might have something to do with it too.

So, do the rest of you have this same problem with those darn lying cameras? Or is it the darn lying mirrors?
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    Camera, Image in a mirror is a refection, a picture from a camera is correct, the mirror is reversed, you can only get a true, representation from a mirror, by using a second mirror, ie the refection is reversed twice.
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

I personally don't like either of them. No matter how hard I try I never seem to be happy with the results.
    Michelle

Well, a lot of time the flash is going to overlight the face or part of it. Or emphasize shadows or blemishes worse than real life.

In the picture in my profile the pic looks better than the mirror re the horrid lines between my eyes. But the camera looks worse on my jaw area which is fine in the mirror, and in the pic I look like a ventriloquist dummy. One person at work said it made my nose too big from being so close (Jiminy Cricket look, she calls it), and the others said it looked like me.

I don't think flipping the image makes much difference but you can do that in Photobucket or Photoshop or whatever if you want to see your phot the same as the mirror pic.

Platinum Member
    I would prefer to believe the mirror, but the camera seems to be more objective.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

R U fishing for a compliment, Mina?

If so, I think u look very cute in your profile pic!

As for improving your pics, try working on the liting, as well as finding a LOOK u like!

As for ME, I'm fortunate to be NEARSITED! So, I pretty much see the SAME image in my mirror as in my pics!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I prefer not to believe in either one and go with the fantasy image the voices in my head tell me looks just like a V.S. model.

For you color, the mirror may be the best choice if you have good lighting. All too often the flash on a camera will wash out all the color, giving you that pale complexion you mention. Unless you have mulitiple mirrors you can use to see your profile, you have to believe the camera when it comes to how you look from any angle other than straight on.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I prefer the mirror

I'm sure the camera lies [well mine does ]

Wether your in front of a camera or a mirror there is still the difference of lighting. The mirror is usually affixed to a wall and doesn't get the light that you really want for a close up look. The camera can be brought to another room or even outside to help you get the look you are looking for. The right lighting can also make your pic look better than than the real thing. Have fun with it. Find a pic you like and make it a keeper.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

I prefer the mirror but must believe what the camera tells me. Sometimes I am very happy with a picture other times I wonder why the camera didn't break.

Aspiring Member
    Put it this way. When I sifted through 90 or so webcam shots I liked only three or so of them. However if I showed those three as my only shots they'd be unrepresentative of my looks. So I don't think the camera lies; however it's how we use its results that really affects how we're perceived, right?

Time to put in my avatar I guess. Yes, this is one I liked which goes to show how bad the others are (fish, fish)

Neither. The safest bet is to go by how others react to us.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think when we dress, whether CD or GG, we have a tendency to look in the mirror and at the camera through 'rose colored glasses'. I mean, we just spent an awful lot of time and money, putting together an outfit, makeup, hair, jewlery and shoes!!!
    So-o-o we would feel feminine. If you looked at the image and didn't like what you saw, you would either change your outfit or your makeup or your jewlery until you liked what you saw!!
    SO both actually lie to you!!!
    I have to agree with Denise Rhodes!! It's how you are treated once you are out the door and mixing with the general population that determines how well you did, not your opinion or another crossdresser's opinion.
    Lisa E

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    If so, I think u look very cute in your profile pic!

As for improving your pics, try working on the liting, as well as finding a LOOK u like!

As for ME, I'm fortunate to be NEARSITED! So, I pretty much see the SAME image in my mirror as in my pics!
    No, but I'll take it ! Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Rhodes View Post
    Neither. The safest bet is to go by how others react to us.
    You're right of course, but it would be nice to have a photo to post that I really like...
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

That's Mikayla to you Bub Mickeytgurl's Avatar
    I usually choose to believe the camera. When I do the makeup in the mirror, it is usually with glasses on, and quite close. As a result, I see every line, every pore, every tiny flaw. Most often, I am stunned at how wonderful the camera shots come out!

I trust the mirror. In the mirror I see a real foxy woman. The camera 'must' be lying. Don't believe me? Just look at my pictures! The mirror says I'm 10 times better looking then those pictures! Honest! LOL

Very interesting and different subject. I tend to belive the camera myself. I take a lot of webcam pics, but have only posted a few. I like the looks of the girl in the mirror, but the camera tells the truth!!

Do you believe the mirror or the camera

I go by the camera, its helped me a lot in looking better

Minus the triple six.. :)
    I used to put it in perspective like this : When you look at someone else in a mirror, a spouse or friend or whatever, do they look much different? To me they don't, and that tells me that people look more like their reflection than they do in most photos.

The flash is your worst enemy, and I didn't start seeing better pics until I got rid of the flash and tried natural light.
    I'm gone!

Hi Mina,

I looked at your profile picture and you looked terrific, I don't know what you don't like about the picture.

Myself I prefer the mirror, when I look in the mirror the pink fog is in full force and what I see is a beautiful, young woman looking back at me; when I look at the pictures after the fact then I can see why the cats hide and try to claw their way out of the house.

Hugs,
    Claudia Dawn

Mirror vs. Photo

My perspective is that of an amateur photographer. There are many more ways to screw up a portrait than there are to make the subject look good. All the wonderful photos of the girls on this site look great in spite of our little point and shoot, built in flash cameras. Not only that a camera takes one brief moment in time. Morrors are more dynamic, we move around, tilt our heads, smile, etc. to improve what we see.
    Just to put another slant on the subject, how about videos ?
    May everyone you love-love you
    Kimberly Ann
    www.flickr.com/photos/kimmie487

[SIZE=2]Mirror or camera....I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Unless your a professional studio photographer with high end lighting & lenses & know what your doing...which most of us are not..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]So for now, I'll just keep using my magic mirror..because my pictures look like total crap....lol[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

I like the camera....and photoshop

To get good pictures you have to overdo the make up
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Our eyes, which have the ability to be selective in what they see, which allows the brain a wide variety of options in what it perceives. However the camera lens sees all and is not selective unless you have the photographic skills to control lighting, depth of field, etc. So, while we practice our skills at dressing, make up, etc. we must refine our photographic skills to make ourselfs look our best.

My imagination never lies. I'm sticking to that.

I prefer the look in the camera (photoshop anyone?), but the mirror is more accurate