Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do most crossdressers hate themselves?

Aspiring Member

Maybe it's really OK to be you.

>> After that, the habit stuck, and here I am now. A shrink I see thinks that maybe it is that I rely HEAVILY on CDing [as opposed to causal as I did before that year of hell] as a means of coping with the deep emotional wounds I had sustained in the past. I agree [and figured it out before the conclusion was drawn by him].

>>The long rant above has a purpose.

>>Now that I am in this relationship, I feel like that which I turned to CDing for in part is being nourished, but to tell her soul - regardless of how tolerant she is / seems to be - runs the risk of her wanting to get as far away from me as possible, thus landing me back at square one-and-a-half. Seems like a catch-22 to me.

KC,

That’s no Catch 22, that’s just a fact. A Catch 22 would be “you can’t win either way.” That is not really the case here. Fact is, you just don’t know how it could turn out. The only way to find out is to try. If there is a sure way to screw up, however, it is probably to say nothing and wind up getting caught, “lying” later. Now, that’s a “catch.”

If you tell her, if you tell anyone anything about anything you think or feel, you run the risk of them, the other person, deciding to split. You could say you don’t like dogs, ice cream, democrats… anything… and people can and will vote with their feet.

But, they can vote all sorts of ways. A lot of times you say something and they say, “Really? Cool!” But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. And, in this case, as many can tell you, you really don’t want to get into a long-term relationship where you are hiding some basic feelings, thoughts, and actions from your presumable best friend.

I think in CDing, and escalating your CDing, you found something that worked and you managed to get past the worst of that year. In the process, you found out just how effective things like CDing can be for survival and mental health. You found out something about your abilities and potential and you value what you are doing as something useful to you.

Even without the roommate, people are pretty smart and many have started down an unmarked or mis-marked road only to discover that they liked what they were doing and wanted to continue. People, in any event, are adaptable and will tend to use what works over and over again.

I see CDing as an interesting thing in my life. Not always a plus, and sometimes a minus. But, it is one of many things that I know how to do, how to employ, so I try not to ignore it, spend time shoving it away, or, pretending, "I'm not like that." It's just part of who I am and what I do. Life will go on, the planet keeps spinning…

There are upsides, such as being able to "get" why you wouldn't want to walk in heels in the rain to the Mall's door. Why some chairs are just awful to sit in. And, how hopeless it is to expect to get any work done in some clothes. Not to mention how someone can literally be a slave to fashion in clothes that look good but feel like chain mail on bare skin.

For your GF to know you, she needs to know something about what you do and why you do it. My SOs have never rejected me for CDing. In fact, after some head-scratching, all have been supportive - some overly so!

Most women, by and large, by nurture if not by nature, wind up in support roles for infants and children and thus are accustomed to seeing the “real man” behind the green curtain – who turns out very often not to be the same person he lets everyone else see. Your SO in life will support you because you are you – and nobody expects perfect. They will work with you as you work with them.

Since you are in a dating situation, keep in mind the institution of dating is all about trail and error – with most people getting passed over in favor of the next one until something sticks. And, when something does stick, there’s a lot of “practicing on each other” that will naturally take place. So, you might as well get onto the next round with this GF and see how things go. Life, for a long time, is trail and error – then things settle down for long periods at a time.

Marriage, when you get around to it, is not really about tying you to another person; it’s really about defining the relationship and protecting it from others. You know the part about “Let no man put asunder?” Well, you and she –as the case may be - have the right to have your marriage without interference from others. What you do, what you work out, between yourselves is your business.

Again, the institution of marriage is actually a mansion of sorts, with legal locks on the doors and windows that keep other people from interfering with YOUR lives. You can get out if you want, but others are not allowed in… See how that really works?

Good luck in being you and working out a good life with yourself and others.

Be proud of what you get done – and use every tool you have that seems to work in your pursuit of happiness.

Results, in a lot of life, matter a lot more than methods.

Be happy.

No way on this planet do i hate myself because of my crossdressing.
    I share my love of crossdressing with my partner whenever i feel like it.
    I feel like it most of the time......beside life is far too short to hate....think of all the make up and dresses to try on.......

Life is for living

Smile

i do not hate my self, not even a dislike.

yes problems from growing up not knowing what i really am.
    as i was growing up it was to be in woman's clothing a fag, pervert, child molester, etc. but after this internet thing i find it is not so. we are just plan folk that like the finer things in life.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Just stopping in to say: WOW! This thread has been awesome, thanks to all for posting (original poster AND responders).

Minus the triple six.. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle~ View Post
    What is the purpose of this thread? .
    What's the purpose of any thread? I like when someone has something provocative to say around here. Jeez, aren't there enough boring, same 'ol threads as it is?

Agree or disagree, but don't get mad because someone has a *gasp* difference of opinion.

I read every reply in a thread before I make a comment of my own, and while I respect everyone's opinion, that's all they are at the end of the day, so why get all worked up?
    I'm gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Amanda View Post
    What's the purpose of any thread? I like when someone has something provocative to say around here. Jeez, aren't there enough boring, same 'ol threads as it is?

Agree or disagree, but don't get mad because someone has a *gasp* difference of opinion.

I read every reply in a thread before I make a comment of my own, and while I respect everyone's opinion, that's all they are at the end of the day, so why get all worked up?
    How right you are.........what surprises more than anything else in this world is how many cannot see life just passing them by............you stay a long time dead....enjoy the journey...

I love myself.

I go out...

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I'm fine with myself now. I don't know if I ever hated myself but I was pretty unhappy with how I behaved and all that I was hiding from. Once I actually engaged in figuring out what it was that I was doing and how it fit into my life things started to change. Eventually I accepted crossdressing as a part of my personality and once I was able to share this with my wife, there was no place for hate to grow. I'd cut off the blood supply and the self-hate died.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I don't think I could ever say I hated myself but rather hated the things I had urges to do. I think the hate of wanting to crossdress stems from the deception and lies it seems to encompass for many. Most feel they have to hide it and do so, even lying to keep the secret. This only further compounds the problem and at some point something must give. If one should hate anything it should be the deception.

OK, I went back and read my 3:00am rambling from last week, and parts of it didn't even make any sense to me, so ... uhhh ... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    Crossdressing usually just doesn't work very well as a life - for a number of reasons. ...
    I wasn't trying to imply that crossdressers should be full-time femme if they don't want to. I doubt many of them actually do.

I guess I'm just more talking about being yourself. The happiest crossdressers I know are confident no matter how they're dressed. If someone says to them, "Uhh, why are your legs shaved?" they don't get all embarrassed. They don't make up some asinine excuse about being an aspiring competitive cyclist. They just own it, and say they don't like body hair.

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    I got over being ashamed, confused, angry, disgusted, scared, and so forth when I got past the play acting and the erotism of crossdressing and realized that trying on different roles and clothes was actually crosstraining to be a better person, a better human being. My SOs fight for my presence. I don't mean they compete for my time and attention, I mean they value it so much they "cleave" to me as a valuable person. I can dress as I like and do what I want - but it's because I am open with what I am doing and why I am doing it and they nod and say, "That sounds like a great idea. You're a good person doing good things and I can support that."
    I guess that's my real question. How many crossdressers do you think ever get to that point?

The trans crowd has to get past a lot of fear to get to the point of being full-time and confident to be happy. I think a lot of people consider themselves trans but never quite make it there.

I'm more just wondering what place crossdressers can get to to find happiness and truly be at peace with all their issues. It seems like CDs have about as much stress and inner frustration and lack of confidence as trans people do. I've met a lot of CDs who really aren't what I would call well-adjusted. The ones who are don't generally live full-time, but they do have a very positive outlook and aren't afraid to go out to eat with me en femme.

I guess I was just wondering out loud about all the unhappiness I see in the CD section.

There's plenty unhappiness among trans people, but it's fairly focused on specific issues that they are trying to deal with. Often the CD unhappiness I see is more confused and not being dealt with at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gemsay32 View Post
    Why can't cross-dressing be a fetish? Why does it have to mean so and so is somehow transgendered and should be a women? I'm happy to admit here I'm a pervert and have used womens clothes in private for pleasure.
    Good point. One of the most wonderful and sincere people I know, and definitely my best friend in the crossdressing crowd, likes to see how skanky she can dress and go hook up. I guess it's a fairly public thing for her, but still, it's mostly a fetish, and that works fine for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    I believe that the author is not focusing her attention on those of you that are totally happy with the situation you are in.
    Right. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raquel June View Post
    Often the CD unhappiness I see is more confused and not being dealt with at all.
    Now you are making more sense and I would agree with you. Unlike TS, CDs do not have a definitive goal to aim for. Instead they just focus on having fun whilst still being confused about what it all means. Many are still in the closet or are out only to their SOs who may not be accepting.

I think many are caught in a rut of performing their male role expectations whilst being frustrated that their feminine side remains under wraps. Years can go by without any progress largely because they are caught in the middle between conformity and being themselves. It can be thought of as a lose-lose situation.

hating myself

all the time for so many reason on so many levels

Good to know I'm not alone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I might have responded to this thread before, but if so, I will say it again. I do not hate myself for being a CD. I fully understand and accept the fact that I am. I also very strongly believe by being a CD with what to me are some very strong female emotional triats, I am a much better man for being a CD.

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar
    Oh my. What an interesting thread. And so many conflicting points of view. How can I agree with everyone as everyone has valid arguements?

I know at times I have been at every point of every one of these views. I have done the self loathing, the self hatred, the fear, the loneliness, the shame, so far into the closet I couldn't find the door, but more recently, pride, confidence and openess to discuss what "we" do, not only from my perspective, but from the perspectives of those I have met and the stories of others. I have accepted myself and can hold my head up to those who take issue with "who" I am.

BUT, I have had to reign myself in, because in my eagerness to accept and celebrate who I have discovered myself to be, have convinced myself that others who "appear" to be at stages I have "passed" through, need to have their eyes opened to their inner self who is crying out to be free.

AND NOW, I realise that people must be allowed to feel comfortable with whatever stage the are at, regardless of where I or others think they should be. There are many factors which influence our lives. Prices to be paid and needs to be filled. We cannot rush another to where we think they should be. And we should not criticise them for not being there or brave enough to stand up and say "this is what I want"! They have reasons for being where they are and everyones reasons are good so long as it helps them to live comfortably with who they are. So, the closeted CD may hide his "perversion" from his wife, but that is what they probably both need to do. She may very well not understand why he insists on wanting to wear womens clothing. His reasons for doing so may not sit well with her as it is a form of competition for her "mate". There is a good chance the revelation will not end well and the proportion that do is very small indeed. I am a huge believer in openess and honesty in a relationship and the price of hiding this behaviour may very well be the relationship and every benefit derived therein if discovered. But, and I am sure many of us have faced this dilemma, at what point to you tell your prospective partner, and, how do you explain something that, maybe even to yourself, has no exact definition? How often do we hear about "purging" - oh I'm a normal man again and not into any of that sissy stuff any more, only to find 6 months later it's back with a vengence? And she just wants to know what will make you happy? I know I heard more than once from a partner - "I though you liked this?" oinly to find that was last week!

So, have fun girls, be as open as you feel you can be, and be prepared to pay the piper if you get caught, and good luck if you are brave enough and sure enough to tell your partner/family/friends/employer about your needs and wants. Being open and honest is so liberating, but you must be sure of what it is that you want and to be prepard to pay the price and reap the benefits too.
    Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PortiaHoney View Post
    I realise that people must be allowed to feel comfortable with whatever stage the are at, regardless of where I or others think they should be. There are many factors which influence our lives. Prices to be paid and needs to be filled. We cannot rush another to where we think they should be. And we should not criticise them for not being there or brave enough to stand up and say "this is what I want"! They have reasons for being where they are and everyone's reasons are good so long as it helps them to live comfortably with who they are.
    I couldn't have said it any better
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I really don't necessarily "hate" myself as much as I feel burdened. If I don't be myself, everything is ok, except I am living a lie. If I am myself, I stand to lose everything. I didn't ask for such a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. So, I just live with it. Ugh...

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    This has been a really thought-provoking thread, and I'm glad there're so many disparate viewpoints. I've learned a lot about myself following the discussion here.

I guess it's not true to say that I hate myself. I'm frequently sad and/or discombobulated, but it's not actually *hate*.

It goes in phases, sometimes I feel ok with who I am, sometimes I absolutely hate who I am and just wish it would all go away.

Right now, I'm in a hate it phase

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I can't say I have ever hated myself, I've learned, that I was afraid of how others would percieve me. Which did kept my self esteem down. Now that I have friends that I can talk to and relate to, I feel pretty good about myself.

Kelly
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Im not married. My girlfriend knows loves and accepts me.

I never hated myself i just never could understand why i wanted to look like a girl. Yeah i want to go out but i don't.
    I don't fit in with other cross dressers I stand alone when i'm ready to be out the world will know.
    For me its about the look not how i walk and talk, i'm not going to copy the way women act thats not me. So there is no hate just still learning how to deal with my feelings.
    Good bye i'm at wacko taco .com now

This is the strange thing, I usually feel pretty alright about who and what I am (even though my gender can sometimes seem paradoxical and confusing to me) and I am often quite confident when buying clothes but the last time I went to buy some clothes (about two weeks ago), the shopkeeper happened to casually ask "Who is this for?". Well, all of my confidence suddenly evaporated and I tried to stutter out an answer and think of something to say. I almost felt like I was sixteen again, buying (female) clothes for the first time (this was probably one of the scariest experiences of my life) and I tried to think of an "excuse" but all the excuses I used back then sounded laughably absurd to me now (the best was probably "it's for research purposes").

So, there I was, rendered almost mute by nervous fear for less than a minute (but it felt somewhat longer). The shopkeeper changed the subject, I bought the clothes silently and walked home. I think it took me at least an hour before I stopped thinking of myself as being somehow "freakish" or "wrong" (which is odd because I thought I had got over most of those feelings years ago).

I guess it is one thing to accept who I am when I am alone or when I am discussing it with people in an abstract and obscure fashion but in terms of people actually seeing for themselves what I am (with no "excuse" or context to "explain it") then I still feel a lot of the old fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Raquel June View Post
    It's a little taboo to talk about how blurred the line can be between CD and TS, but honestly I think a lot of crossdressers are transgendered girls without the self-respect to be themselves when anybody's watching except maybe a very small and very safe circle of friends.

It's hard to be comfortable with yourself. I spent so many years telling myself, "I know all I need is confidence." Well, that's pretty damn hard when all you want to be is a pretty girl just like any other girl wants, and yeah, nobody's as pretty as they want to be, but you're staring in the mirror at a 6-foot-tall hairy person with a penis and a receding hairline. Ouch! I went through a period of being suicidal and I was still afraid to be myself most of the time. That's ridiculous! I didn't care whether I lived or died but I was still too afraid of what people thought of me to leave the house most of the time. When I would go out and people would react negatively to me, it was never a big deal. I was still always glad I was trying to be myself. But the next day I would still want to lock myself inside even though I didn't even know what I was afraid of (since people who were mean to me didn't really bother me that much). So I know it's horribly difficult to be confident, and it can take years. But it's important if you're ever going to be happy. If you're ever going to understand yourself. If you're ever going to be comfortable.

Wow, this is quite a powerful statement which seemed to resonate with me a lot. Especially the part about confidence and looking in the mirror (although I'm only about 5 foot 7 or so and thankfully, my hairline is not receding. Still, I often don't like "looking like a guy" even if it is just having a five o clock shadow). I am often only en femme behind locked doors and closed curtains and it does feel kind of limiting to put it mildly (I can sort of pull off an androgynous look in bob mode sometimes). I can totally understand the whole locking yourself inside thing though and I can often be slightly nocturnal and reclusive.

I have often wondered about exactly where I fall on the whole spectrum of being transgender and I'm starting to think that I might be more than a crossdresser (not that there is anything "less" about being a crossdresser!) although I have my fair share of reservations about taking it any further. At the very least, I see myself as androgynous (I have taken the COGIATI test god knows how many times and the results always seem to come out as "androgyne") but when I feel feminine it seems to vary wildly between being incredibly "girly" and being something of a "tomboy" . I know that the COGIATI may not be a perfect test but it is still quite interesting and illuminating in some ways.

The problem is that when I am out in public, or even in private social situations, I almost always act like a guy. It seems to be some kind of second-nature, hard-wired reflex or defence mechanism. So, it would be kind of hard to explain to anyone that I have this whole female side if they have mostly/always seen me act and talk like a guy (albeit a slightly nervous, occasionally effeminate, often reserved and conservative guy)

Interestingly, on the few occasions when I have met other transgendered people (both CD and TS) in person I often feel kind of nervous, uncomfortable or awkward. I know that this is absurd, especially since I am trangender but I guess it probably has something to do with self-loathing or at least a small level of jealously ( I have always been in male mode whenever I have met other TG people, or I worry that they may mistake me for being an "admirer" or I worry that I may accidentally use the wrong pronoun etc... and I guess I also feel kind of sad that I do not have the confidence to openly be myself. Also, most TG people I've met pass a hell of a lot better than I probably do, so it is probably at least in part jealousy).

In short, it's complicated but I thank you for bringng up this very thought-provoking topic.
    Last edited by izzfan; 05-25-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added another paragraph

izzfan...one thing that might help you alot is to spend some quality time with crossdressing folk, and with transsexuals...

its so important to get this human contact with people that share your inner thoughts, desires, and/or needs...seeing "peers" face to face is a great way to work it out for yourself..

you have described specific things that happened to me for example...having the opportunity to share my experiences with other tg people was invaluable to me

Aspiring Member

Self-respect, respecting others: Pride.

Your original post wasn't so much a question as a declaration that most crossdressers hate themselves.

I think most of the responses have been along the lines of "I hate/hated that I struggled with all these issues for so long."

In your more recent post, you asked when CDers would get to the point where they were happy with what they were doing and could just get on in life.

That, it seems to me, is both a question and an answer.

And old friend of mine, who was TS and now is just who she is, complained of CDers:

"They show up at meetings and house parties - any excuse to dress up - but they don't do anything but play at whatever they're doing. They don't offer to do anything but show up, they don't argue for better treatment of others at work or with the cops and courts, and, most of them don't even tell their wives what they are doing. They're hopeless. They're useless. I'm transitioning and, as much as I hate what they're doing by not doing, I'm going on with my life as a woman and like most people, I just don't have time for people who won't help themselves do any better, or, anyone else."

This woman transitioned twenty years ago with her SO by her side - the SO who is still there. She came out at work, and still works there. She's gone on to buy a house, learn a new language, start a business, and, all the while, has stayed active in the community and in local and state politics. Her life has purpose and direction and it's an open book. She understands that people disagree about things, but she gets respect because she stands for what she says and does.

In my life, I've taken a course as a CDer that holds that I am the same person, with the same rights as everyone else, and I stand for everyone else being left along, or, if not going to be left alone - such as the oft dreaded traffic stop crossdressed - at least be treated no better and no worse than anyone else.

The main thing about being who you are - is being who you are. The clothes, I decided long ago, don't really matter so much as the person in them. I don't let what I am wearing change who I am, and I don't allow other people to redefine who I am by what I happen to be wearing.

So, no self-hatred here. Just don't have time for it.

Do what you like and be a good person.

Anybody gives you crap, give them any necessary amount back - and go on about your business.

"CD Pride" is as good as any other "pride," and, just as necessary.
    Last edited by mklinden2010; 05-25-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: punctuation, spelling