Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Just got fired!

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"

I Just got fired!

I just received a bad phone call.

My employer of the last 13 years informed me that I was fired.
    Long story short, it is over a trumped up charge but the real reason is I'm almost 63 yrs old and they have a history of disposing of older workers.
    Yeah, I'm getting an attorny but it's hard to prove.

It's 's a big intenational company who paid me well and this is another resaon to ge rid of me by hiring new workers at a lower rate. It's a skilled blue collar position.

I am thinking about retireing as I have a far amout of money put away for it. However, I will have tighen my belt a bit and rein in my spending. The prospect that anyone will hire me at my age in this economy anywere near at what I was making is slim to none say the least.

Anyway, one thing that keeps crossing my mind is maby now I can let Barbara run a bit freer as I would no longer have to worry obout my blue collor co-workers. My family has long abandoned me and most of my friends have either died or moved away and I'm presentlt living alone.
    I guess I need to find new friends who are CD/TS friendly.
    Personally I'm in excellect health.

Oddly enough, I recently have begun to decorate my apt in a much more feminine fashion. My bathroom is becomimg ultra feminine and I find myself carring less and less what others may think.
    I'm actually quite at peace with myself at this point. and look forward to a new direction with my life.

Perhaps now I can experience new found happines

Thanks for letting reveal my siuation.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I must say, Barbara Jo,

you're taking it VERY WELL!

They say when a door closes, a window opens! Except maybe in YOUR case, it sounds like MANY windows r opening!

U GO GIRL!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

OMG! After 13 years??? Yes, I think you should consult an attorney. On the other hand, your attitude is awesome. It seems you have what it takes to turn this into something positive. Best of luck.

Gold Member
    I am sorry about your being discharged. What type of work where you in,
    If I may ask. Myself, I was unintentional forced to retire as a Carpenter at
    age 60. I did not want to, but when your a little over-weight and over 60,
    well you are overlooked. I was lucky in the fact that my Union allowed
    me to take full retirement at age 60, with benefits, because I had 40
    years in.
    I hope you can make do, You do qualify for social security at age 63,
    although it is a little less than 65, It is still something. Rader

I Just got fired!

I really wish you all the good luck, it might be a good thing for you i sure hope so hun, I am that age and retired and love being Jenna most of time,

Well, you are taking it in a mature straight forward way. What can you do. Just be sure that your retirement money is not is stocks and move forward!
    Charlie

Banned Read only
    Thanks for the kind words.

I can collect SS right now if I wanted to plus a retirement from Ford Motor co.

I have faced many adversities in my life and I'm still sane as I have a positive attitued and really like myself and life.

An example would be a few years ago when I was diagnosted with prostate cancer and it was removed
    I tunred it into a postive thing by considereing how it would/did make my body more feminine, impotency and all.

It's strange how I let life events expand my feminimity.

Anyway, as a wise old friend of mine once told me,"there is always someone worse off than you".

Job

Sorry to hear about your job loss. I am retiring out of the military in a few months and I am about your same age, I have reach maximum years allowable. I will be living on half of my present income and I was hoping to get a job for at least two years but with the things are now I may not get one and it is certainly going to be hard to live for the next two years. I wish you luck and happiness and remember we may not be able to help with jobs but we are here when you need us.

Jeannie

Gold Member
    Babra Jo;
    Take your retirement and SS and run with it. Let the younger ones do
    all the work. I did and now enjoying the fruit of my years of labor.
    Now you can be more en-fem, and not worrier about it. Rader

Barbara, I can relate to your predicament. In 2002 I was fired from a company I had worked at for 24 years. I went into business for myself and am doing quite well.
    Danielle

My father had the same sort of thing happen to him, it was a life altering experience for him. I'm very sorry to see that happen to anyone! I wish you the best of luck, and I hope your positive outlook continues! maybe not how you wanted your retirement to start, but it sounds like you have a bright path foward!

Gold Member
    Sometimes getting let go of a job is a relief.
    It is like the blame is not yours, and you don't have to deal with it anymore.

The good thing is you have money saved so it is not like it is an emergency situation
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I'm so sorry to hear that you were let go. Remember change can be an oppertunity for growth. I read a story today about a skilled factory worker who retrained as a welder, and could not get a job as a welder, but ended up getting another job because he was skilled. So your skill will be an asset!
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear that you were let go. Remember change can be an oppertunity for growth. I read a story today about a skilled factory worker who retrained as a welder, and could not get a job as a welder, but ended up getting another job because he was skilled. So your skill will be an asset!
    There are a few people in Nursing school with me in their mid 60's its never to late to find a new niche.

it happens to the best of us and yes when we get older those company do things like that i know at 60 years young they wont hire me any where

Thumbs down I Got Fired

[SIZE=2]I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me 18 years ago. But guess what? It takes alot less money to live on than you think. I'm sure you can make it, and best of all, you have the best attitude that is possible. Girl, you WILL make it!!! Now pull up your stockings, hitch up your panties and start a new day! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Nanette Faye [/SIZE]

I'm sorry that you got fired. The way to look at it is you have so many opportunities. Sometimes the worst of times can be the door that you have waited for all your life. You could start a business or do some side work to make up the difference in your retirement. You still have a lot of life left in you and you should take this as a blessing. You get to bring Barb out in the open without any fear. You could even move to a new city. The opportunities are unlimited for you. Good luck to you
    Michelle

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAMichelle View Post
    I'm sorry that you got fired. The way to look at it is you have so many opportunities. Sometimes the worst of times can be the door that you have waited for all your life. You could start a business or do some side work to make up the difference in your retirement. You still have a lot of life left in you and you should take this as a blessing. You get to bring Barb out in the open without any fear. You could even move to a new city. The opportunities are unlimited for you. Good luck to you
    Exactly my thoughts.

Silver Member
    Yes it happens to many of us. Don't forget your unemployment. Right now you can draw it for a long time. You can also collect it while getting SS and retirement pay in some states. Don't pass it up, a few thousand dollars a year can buy lots of nice clothes.

[SIZE="3"]So sorry to hear your bad news, at the end of the day, Its there loss & possibly someone elses gain [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"] Mandy xx[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Dont knock it, till youve tried it[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Qualified & Insured Waxing Therapist[/SIZE]

Barbara,
    I was just thinking , why not spend this time getting involved in the LBTG community, maybe look into the trans clubs in your area. Many have outreach programs to help each other with home projects, your skills would be greatly appreciated. Would be a good way to make those new friends you spoke of.

Best of luck,
    Presh GG

Sorry to hear that Barbara Jo.

If you were a member of a union, then let them work for you.

Hiring an attorney can be expensive, and I wouldn't want to pay one if the likelihood of getting my job back was slim to none. And if they aren't the one's paying retirement benefits. Especially if money is going to be tight.

Do go into work and get everything in writing, and make sure someone wasn't calling as a joke.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 06-05-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    DonnaT

Yea, I know where you''re comming from to. I got removed on trumped up charges after I backed an attempt to get a union into my old TV station.
    They told me that I was to profain. What?!?! THre wasn't a single person in my newsroom, News Director included, who couldn't cuss the paper off the walls when the things got hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    I just received a bad phone call.
    They fired you by phone?! Man, that is not right. I have to hire and fire as part of my job, and I always do it face to face. It's bad enough news to get, there's no reason to make the experience even worse. Your company has some cowards working for them.

When I got fired it was with a phone call also. They did not have guts enough to do it face to face because they did not have a reason other than personal vendetta.
    Danielle