Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed - going to be a parent!

Question Advice needed - going to be a parent!

Hi,

I have been dressing full time at home for a number of years, and got into a routine of changing into "me" as soon as I get home from work. My wife has been fully supportive, and allowed me to explore my feminine side. A couple of months ago, we discovered that my wife was pregnant. I am of course very excited about this but then I realised that I'd never considered the ramifications of being a crossdresser with a child. Now I don't know whether I should try and stop so that they don't inadvertantly walk in on me one day and scar them for life.

Also, we got a new wardrobe with 3 compartments, for my wife, boy me and girl me. Does this mean I should probably hide all of my clothes away again, like I did as a teenager?

Basically, I'm just looking for advice as this is unknown territory for me. Of course, I don't want to stop crossdressing and being myself (especially as I feel I have really developed to find balance in my life), but I also want to put whats best for my forthcoming child first.

Any help from parents would be greatly appreciated!

Kate xxx
    I am only a cross dresser when I don't crossdress!

About Me: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...595#post306595

"I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" - Goo Goo Dolls

[SIZE="3"]www.HappyDressers.com[/SIZE] - Where cross dressers go to be happy!

Hi Kate,

This is only something that can be resolved by talking to your wife. You might have differences in what you are comfortable in what happens around your children. Finding ground that you are both happy with should be a priority.

I have six children, ages rangeing from my twin boys aged 6, to my eldest being 22. They have never been exposed to my CDing, and probably never will, (although i reckon my 18 year old daughter might suspect something). My wife is especially adamant that my young boys don't go to school telling other kids that daddy sometimes wears a skirt and looks like a girl.

This is a very difficult topic, and you will probably get a wide range of responses......but anyway, at the risk of being flamed (which I have in the past on this topic) here is my worth. I don't want my kids being teased, taunted, bullied or otherwise singled out at school because their dad is a certified practicing crossdresser. Not so much of a problem for me as I work 24/7 shift work, and get plenty of weekday daytime for Tash to shine, but everything is tucked away tidy when the wife and kids are home.

Good luck with this one Kate.......talk to your wife

Tash

Do what your heart tells you to do.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

This is a decision you and your wife need to make together, although you do have time to discuss it and come to a conclusion. I think that children tend to find out secrets unless they are very deeply hidden, and it's counter productive to try to hide who you are from them.

If you have a son, and he, from a very early age is pulled to crossdress, do you want him to be ashamed because Daddy doesn't do that?

Again, it is a discussion and decision that you and your wife need to discuss and decide together.

Freddy

I would say that your wife is not going to panic about the dicision, untill the baby gets a little older. i think that she may ask that you hide it form him/her.

I think to start with you need to discuss this with your wife, how does she feel about your dressing around your baby?

I do not think that there is a right or wrong answer to this as it is ultimately up to your wife and you to decide, but personally i think that some degree of dressing with just the clothes (without wig and heavy makeup) is a good way to get them use to it .

Oh and congratulations to you both.
    Last edited by Joanne f; 06-10-2010 at 06:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Kate,

My wife and I discussed this same situation way back in the 1970's before our children were born. We decided that when we had kids they would grow up with full knowledge of my crossdressing. The rationale behind this was that sooner or later they would find or suspect something and we did not want to give the children the impression that it was OK to keep secrets from each other within our family. In our case, that strategy worked. Our kids grew up seeing me crossdressed from time to time. They never "outed" me to anyone. They were always open and honest with my wife and myself. Our daughter is now 34 and married (and her husband knows about me). Our son is 30 and currently living at home. It was never a problem for them and I have always been "Daddy", no matter how I have been dressed.

Every family situation is slightly different. What worked in my situation may not work in yours. Whatever you decide, your wife needs to be 100% in agreement.
    Phoebe

both you and your wife are the only people who can decide how to proceed with your dressing on the birth of your child, however I think that if they are brought up with "Dad" dressing they will not see it as anything other than the norm, which in itself is great, but it may lead to Little Billy/Jane accepting it as such a norm he/she may actually question why other daddies do not wear skirts like his/hers does, if both you and your wife are comfortable with the thought that they may at some stage "slip up & inadvertently out you" then i don't see why you shpuld go back to hiding you ............. stopping i think we know it ain't gonna happen, & even if you did for a short while it could lead to major difficulties with depression and gender dysphoria, do you two really want to go there ?

Congratulations on the forth coming happy event
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

talk to your wife. When I was in that position with our first baby, my wife allowed me to dress, while I took care of the baby. I stopped when the baby was about 18 months, at that age, babys will never remember. that gives you about two years to fugure out what to do with your clothes.

The only way your CDing could 'scar' the kids is if they get the idea that you and/or your wife are ashamed of it. Otherwise, whatever kids grow up with is 'normal' -- they're surprisingly adaptable!

If you live in a very conservative area, they might get pushback in high school, but that's about the only outside-your-family consideration that even really comes into play at all. As long as you and your wife (a) aren't ashamed and (b) can show it, there's no reason to hide (and every reason not to).
    Elliott from Chicago
    Full-time papa to Beka (2.17.09). Part-time returning college student.
    Future college math/science teacher, after a total career reboot. Happily married to a cisman. Trying to socially transition pre-everything.

My daughter is 18months old, and I still dress openly at home whenever I want. My wife and I have talked about this, and she feels that this is something that should not be hidden from the baby, and that if she grows up seeing it it will be normal for her. My take on it is that as she gets to school age we will have to make sure she knows what I wear is not something to talk about.

Congratulations on your kid to be.

I have read a lot of posts on here about telling kids and one of the topics had to deal with that the child has to keep the secret as well. The kid will have friends over and run through the house at a moments notice. That will not be very practical once the child reaches a certain age. So you will have to decide if you want to continue cd'ing in front of the child as it will probably cause you to be a very public cd'er. The childs friends will know and may tease or pick on them for it. Plus everybody who finds out will tell parents which is like running a front page ad that you are a cd'er.

I never told my kids until they were older, but I also didn't accept that I was a cd'er until I was nearing 50. So I have never had to be in your shoes. You should think about this a lot. It will be great having a kid, but to protect the child you may need to put the girl back in the closet some.
    Michelle

I was living full time when our first daughter was born so it wasn't really an issue. It DID become an issue for my wife however when daughter was 3 or so and started calling me "mommy" as well. I think that was what put the wheels in motion for her asking me to transition back. As far as just dressing around your child, you will have several years before you will need to worry about that. The only real worry you will have is pictures. Our daughter, once she was much older, couldn't figure out why there were no pictures of her as a baby with dad holding her, or playing with her. The easy excuse was dad was shooting the pictures silly....but her expression always told us she didn't buy that all the time...

Jenn

I myself have kept my secret away from my kids as I did not want to influence their decisions on sex/gender. I think it best that way.

Platinum Member
    After giving this some thought, I'm leaning towards the side of being yourself with the kids from the very beginning. I don't believe that dressing around your kids will influence their gender identity decision way or another, and frankly it will probably be a non-issue as long as you and your wife maintain a happy, supportive household.

The only qualifier might be when other peoples' kids are around...then I'd be more circumspect.

Aspiring Member
    Ok, kids will say the darndest things, at the worst times.....lets remember that fact first....

I once had my daughter tell her teacher and her whole class, that she didnt live in a house we live under the bridge in a car......i had to later bring the principal proof of address....

So, If you are a full time t-girl, then yes dress as you normally would to go out or around the house.

If your a part time Cder, then dress as you would when the children are asleep in the evenings, or are gone for the weekend.
    I do not dress around my children, as i do not present myself to the world as a woman on a daily basis. So if you plan on keeping your dressing private then do not dress around your kids, because you could very well be among friends or family and your daughter say, "Hey Dad, Look you and that lady have the same dress".........

But dont pack everything away either, i found a balance between being Don the Dad by day; Donni the lover by night.

Grats on the new addition to your family!!

-Donni-

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    After giving this some thought, I'm leaning towards the side of being yourself with the kids from the very beginning. I don't believe that dressing around your kids will influence their gender identity decision way or another, and frankly it will probably be a non-issue as long as you and your wife maintain a happy, supportive household.

The only qualifier might be when other peoples' kids are around...then I'd be more circumspect.
    re: influencing the kids' gender ID... I agree. Excluding fetish dressing with no real femme sense of identity, I believe that we're wired this way.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

Gold Member
    If you do dress around the kid, just don't treat it like it is any big deal.
    A shild is born with no state of mind, is blind to the ways of mankind.

When the kid starts going to school, then yeah might want to tone down.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Aspiring Member

Parenting is not about clothes...

I'm of the, "Just be a good parent" camp.

Kids are born knowing nothing, learn as they go, and make up their own minds in the end.

I'd put the dressing up as "fun time" or "project time" if I was worried about it and let it go at that. Kids, people, can get used to anything and go on with their lives.

The fact is that people, in their "spare time," pretend to be bikers, basketball stars, and, rock and roll singers. Kids, and everyone else can figure out which is reality and which is "blow off time."

I would not set up a future crash and heartbreak by hiding things or pretending otherwise.

You can be forgiven for being who you are, whoever you are, so long as you aren't a life-long liar.

Just be there for your kids - whatever you wear.

Smile

only advice i can give you is get some sleep now....while you can. and stock up on diapers.
    as for the cross dressing for the first couple years it is a non issue. but talk with the wife, and raise you child to not fear/or be ashamed of different thoughts/ways. as for you.. when you do let your offspring know do not be ashamed of doing something a bit different.

if you raise you children right they will have open minds and not feel weird about your hobby. and will still love you.

Congratulations!

I side with the "don't hide it" camp. Unless your wife wants you to keep it secret.

It can be hard to keep a secret, and times will come up when you think you are free to dress and the child appears unexpectedly. Having to worry about being found out isn't the best way to live.

My wife was in the keep is secret camp. Once I did tell the kids, as adults, they had no problems with it.
    DonnaT

My worry would be when your child starts going to school. Kids can be very cruel and when they find out that his dad wears a dress it’s a perfect excuse for them to start the bulling.
    Sorry but I try to live in the real world. And I have seen it happen!

SUZY

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    My worry would be when your child starts going to school. Kids can be very cruel and when they find out that his dad wears a dress it’s a perfect excuse for them to start the bulling.
    Sorry but I try to live in the real world. And I have seen it happen!

SUZY
    so true, and it would be doubly true if the child happened to have any kind of cross-gender traits themselves. It could be really brutal for the child. I experienced that first hand as a child and it sucks.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

Fun loving Florida girl! tammygirl79's Avatar
    This is definatly tough, and it is something that both you and your wife have to agree on, and you have to figure out what is in the best interests of your child. I have a somewhat similer problem. I am a single dad of a 6 year old girl myself. She knows nothing of my cross dressing. When she is at school or visiting her mom for a weekend, that is when I dress as a woman. When she is home, I am 100% a man.Of course all my cloths and accesories are hidden away and if she did happen to find something, I would probably say that it was from one of my female friends who accidentally left it her. This is believable because most of my friends are female....my best friend is female and is here all the time hanging out. this is what works for my situation...atleast at the time being. Once she gets older, it will be harder to hide and then I may have to take a different route to the situation. But this may not be whats right for your situation....you will have to figure it out with your wife. Good luck, I know it won't be an easy decision to make....it wasn't for me.