Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evicted From Marshall Fields

Departed

Evicted From Marshall Fields

This was taken from The Chicago Area Crossdresser's forum. It created a lot of activity, more than any post I've ever seen. I'm just wondering what the feelings of the members here is on this account.

I am simply in shock over the treatment I received at Marshall Field's State Street today.

While I was shopping around 11:00, in drab, a particular sales girl happened to be very nice towards me, asking if I needed any help, smiling nicely, being friendly, coming back to me a few times while I looked around, etc.

I'm at the point where I tend to think it is pretty obvious that, even in drab, people can tell by the way I shop, touch the clothes, etc, that I am shopping for myself. Today, I couldn't help but feel this sales girl knew and was just being helpful, so I asked her if I could try on the two skirts I was carrying. She smiled and said "OK".

After being in the fitting room for about a minute and a half, a different sales girl came into the fitting room area, (we'll call her the mean sales girl), knocked on the door and said "Sir.". I said "Yes". She then said, in a forceful mean tone, "This is a WOMEN'S (emphasis added) fitting room and you can't be in here".

Then the nice sales girl, who had evidently walked in with the mean girl, said, "I'm really sorry". I could tell in her voice she thought she had made some kind mistake, and was genuinely sorry.

At this point, standing there in a short skirt with two sales girls right outside the flimsy door, just inches away, one demanding I leave, I felt very vulnerable and all I could say was "OK.".

Then the mean sales girl began walking out, saying "I'm calling security".

At this point, terrified of what some security guard(s) might do, I got dressed and left as fast as I could. As I left the fitting room area, the nice sales girl was waiting outside and apologized again, saying "I'm sorry". She seemed to feel genuinely sorry for what had happened. The mean sales girl had left, obviously hell bent on her quest for security.

It is important to state that the fitting room area was your typical store arrangement, with separate "cubicles" and doors for privacy.

Has anyone had a similar situation? How did you respond? I feel that I want to complain, as, regardless of store policy, the mean girl could have been more humane, especially in light of having obtained permission from a sales girl. What good it will do, who knows?

I have actually tried on clothes and lingerie at several different stores recently, in drab, where the sales girls were nothing but helpful and had no problem with me trying on anything I wanted, often coming back to the fitting rooms and asking how everything fit. I guess I was getting used to the feeling of equality. Interestingly, I'm seeing more and more women going into dressing rooms with their husbands/boyfriends when they try on clothes.

I'm going to post this to a couple of other groups, to get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and giving me your thoughts.

Here's my thoughts - First of all I applaud her for having the courage to ask the sales girl if she can try on the clothes rather than buying then, taking them home and trying them on there and have to return them because of fit. But once she committed to walking in that dressing room she should have prepared herself for a negative reaction. I would have expected, rather than been surprised by, someone objecting to me using the women's dressing room, particularly if dressed as a man. (Just for the record, the entire floor was the women's department and there were no changing rooms for men on this floor.)

Since she recieved permission from the first sales girl I believe she had the right to do so. I read many replies to this where the respondent expressed feelings of improper treatment or prejudice against crossdressers and wondered when society will accept us. My thoughts here are this person's actions, fleeing the store, constituted consciousness of guilt - she acted like she was doing something wrong when she fled the store. If she was upset by what happened she had every right to take her case to whatever employee would eventually settle this as a Field's employee gave her permission to use the women's dressing room. If you want respect and to be treated properly, don't act guilty by running away when things get dicey. I would have expected Fields to have settled this in a dignified way had she stayed to fight for her rights. Fleeing only confirmed the 'mean' sales girl's contentions that this was wrong. 0.02

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    I do see what you are saying , but I personally don't think she fled becasue she felt guilty , more like she was worried abut what security might do to her. To be honest I think that's a very reasonable reaction in the circumstances.

Of course in an ideal world she should have stayed and 'fought it out' but some of us just aren't built that way. I'd have to be in a really grouchy mood to stay and argue the toss even if I felt I was completely in the right.

I think it comes down to what alot of people have been saying recently. When you're out and about do you think for yourself there in the moment or do you try to advance the whole CD/TG cause. At the moment , I'm believe I'm in the same frame of mind as the OP. I'm happy to go out shopping drab and maybe not even care if someones realises but I'm not ready to be a martry for my sisters yet.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

My Facebook Page

My thoughts...

I agree with Julia. She did the right (and very brave) thing in asking first. It would be nice if everyone could feel safe in standing up for their personal choices, but I also am not willing to become a martyr for the cause. I don't want anyone to be either. In my humble opinion the best course to gaining acceptance is to be polite in the face of discrimintation and listen to the natural fight or flight response, as it often has better commonsense than the rest of you when your are passionate about a topic. Not that "in your face" is not appropiate at times or even often, but honestly with the way society see's us in general it is "in your face" engough to see a man who chooses to express his feminity in the manner many of us do.
    - Natalie

P.S. that's what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R where eliminated.
    -Mitch Headburg

"If you think you think outside the box, you're trapped in one"
    - M.C. Paul Barman

No doubt she felt humiliated and wanted to get out of there as fast as she could. As for not making an issue about it with store management I suppose she, like many of us didn't want the exposure that could make the matter more public than it already was. If it were me I would have written the store a nasty letter about how I was treated and vowed never to shop there again which I'm sure she won't anyway. An interesting thought about this is how she mentioned several times how the "nice" salesgirl kept saying she was sorry. It seems to me she was concerned the salesgirl was somehow going to be in trouble for being helpful and I wouldn't be surprized if that bothered her more than being asked to leave.

I too would have written to the management and let them know what had happened,how I felt and that they will lose more than one cutomer since I would spread the word in the Transgender Society.I would not want to be a martyr for the cause but,sometimes you just have to stand uo and say that's wrong.If we hit them in the pocket book,they will take notice and possibly,some day,recognize us as a group that buys a lot of clothes and mean more profit for the store.
    We need a cross dressers union,or National Organization that can fight for our rights.The biggest problem is how do we start?
    Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla

It's fine and admirable to stand up for what you feel is right, but how many of us would have the fortitude to actually do it? Like the writer of the piece, I too would have exited the store immediately, not willing to stand up for what I felt was my right, but also avoiding further embarrassment and being where I wasn't wanted.
    While the author reacted instinctively and sought the refuge of non-confrontation, I really don't see what she would have accomplished by remaining in the store, at least in the immediate sense. Is there a Rosa Parks in the crossdressing community? And if there is, are there enough others who have the nerve to follow the lead, willing to sacrifice their anonymity, privacy, and dignity? That day may, or may not, ever arise, but I wonder how many of those who reacted so negatively to her piece would have actually done otherwise. Armchair activists are a dime-a-dozen.

edit -- for those of you who don't know who Rosa Parks is:
    http://www.time.com/time/time100/her...e/parks01.html
    Last edited by Sharon; 08-23-2005 at 10:36 AM.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

This situation seems to me to be a "mini-version" of the current mind-set in the U.S.

There are some who are kind and gracious, relaxed and understanding (the nice salesgirl), then there are the frightened ignorant ones who automatically respond in a negative way (be nasty first and never bother asking questions later, like the mean sales girl), then there's the LAW, lurking in the background, and you don't know whether it will be for you or against you unless you hang around to find out.

Could go either way depending on the sensibilities of the security guard or policeman and his or her familiarity with the current laws in the state, which may or may not be on your side.
    Last edited by susandrea; 08-23-2005 at 11:07 AM.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Well there are new laws that have passed for crossdresser and
    TG's If I was you I would go and SUE the pants off those sons of Bi*$ches And just say it goes public that will set an example to make all the stores TG friendly they don't want to get sued.

SAVE THE WORLD JULIE SAVE THE WORLD

Julie Marie -- a member of the Chicago Area forum should e-mail a link to the thread to Marshal Fields' customer relations department. They deserve to know that they are getting violently negative publicity, in a market they may not be aware of. The e-mail could suggest that someone from the company join the forum and post an explanation, or even an apology. This would be good business for them, and the "right" thing to do.

Oh, and would I have "stood and fought" in this girl's situation? Not in a million, billion years ! If you think the security staff would be unpleasant, just imagine if they decided to call in the gentlemen of "Chicago's Finest"!

Hugs,
    Susie

In the past, I have worked at a large department store and, I'm well aware of stealth "floor walkers" and security. I'm also aware that many dressing rooms are monitored with video cameras. Shoplifting and employee theft has always been a problem and a great loss of revenue for these large stores. I'm also aware of the "pervs" that are cruising the women's department for ________ (you fill in the blank). I, also, understand many department stores realize that a large part of their customer base is Transgender related. May Company, here in Albuquerque, NM, has a dressing room in the Women's Department for their male clients!!! However, a guy shopping alone in any "women's" area is going to be noticed and stand out. Most stores don't care if you shop but, as far as dressing rooms and who uses them, is defined by strict store policy. It is helpful to know what that policy is BEFORE using the dressing rooms. Often, they will direct you to a nearby "male" dressing room or make some other arrangements.

Getting back to the topic, the "nice" clerk may have been breaking store policy... or... the Dept. Manager may have been exerting her own personal policies. We don't really know.

If that CD was ready and willing to make a stand, she should have immediately gone to the Administrative Offices and asked to see the Store Manager! The "cranky" floor manager is not the one to be dealing with. She had already displayed her lack of diplomacy and confronting her would only escalate into a bigger incident than is necessary. More than likely, there have been other complaints about her "attitude" and Management would probably be sympathetic to your treatment. In other words, take your complaints to the highest level of management that is possible when you feel you have been unfairly treated.

While I'm at it (don't you love long posts), AA's (armchair activists) actually can do a lot of good, yet remain anonymous, if they will, at least, write letters to the appropriate people. In the above case, if everyone that responded to the "Chicago" thread sent a letter to the CEO and the Publicity Director of Marshall Fields Corp. and sent copies to the Manager of the State Street store... you know that you are going to get some attention. No company wants "negative" publicity. Two or three letters may not make an impact... but 50 will!!!
    Last edited by Jen_TGCD; 08-23-2005 at 01:23 PM.
    [size=3]---Jen--------- [/size][size=1]*[/size]

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I have had similar situations, but nothing involving security. First of all, I always ask either in dressed as male or female if I may try on the clothing I wish to purchase.

From my experience, it would seem that Victoria's Secret has rules that no men are allowed inside the dressing rooms. That is, of course, enforced only when they can tell I'm a guy.

From my experience, when I go to Deb's dressed as a guy, they (even my gay friend who works there) won't let me into the dressing room because they too have rules against guys being in there. However they have to let me in when I'm dressed as a female.

If the dressing rooms are as private as she states then perhaps she should have been shown the men's dressing room if for nothing more than to maintain the comfort of the women in the ladies' dressing room.
    How does the "mean" sales girl know that the male customer's intentions are legitimate, especially without seeing that person?

Charlie
    Last edited by gender_blender; 08-23-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_TGCD
    Getting back to the topic, the "nice" clerk may have been breaking store policy... or... the Dept. Manager may have been exerting her own personal policies. We don't really know.
    True, but I have a hunch that, in a court of law, the shopper would prevail. He took reasonable steps to gain access to the fitting rooms... asking to use and receiving permission from a store representative (the "nice" salesgirl). I think regardless of her title... Manager, Sales Associate, whatever, if she's wearing the badge, her word can be taken as store policy. If she was wrong, that issue needs to be worked out between her and her employer.

If I were put in that situation, I'm sure I would have acted as she did... I'm not a very confrontational person. Regardless, I still think it may not be such a bad idea to leave the store, at least for several minutes just to cool down and regain ones composure and to think through what had just transpired. Then, if so inclined go back into the store and speak to the person in the highest level of management, as Jen suggests.

Personally, when I want to try on womans garments and given the choice, I will ask a sales rep if I can take them over to the men's dressing room. In my experience, that's never been a problem .

I'll take the pink one.
    "Just be honest, be faithful and have fun" ~ my wife

Hi girls!

Chothing Stores

A similar experience happened to me at about 9 yrs ago. I was with my wife at a clothing store and she had tried on a nice black dress that zippered from the back and she called for me to go in with her and help her zip it up, when all of a sudden a seles girl came out of nowhere and she told me that I could not be in there with my wife. I then exited the dressing cubikle and waited outside. And since I work with the U.S. Federal Government (Law Enforcement) I was curious as to why? So, I asked the sales lady as to why? All she replied was that there is a law about having two people of different sexes in one dressing cubikle, but she did not quoeted me any 8 USC title, or even any Texas law title, she did not know much realy.

Let have a few days and I'll see what I can find out!
    Love,
    BrendaLee

Platinum Member
    well if a mastake was mad by the nice girl then the mean girl shurly should not be calling security as it was not ment to be something wrong ... i would just call and speak to the store manager and let them know that you were made to feel like you had done something wrong... and let them know that yes you shop there often and thought it was rund and not right.....

the "nice" clerk may have been breaking store policy... or... the Dept. Manager may have been exerting her own personal policies. We don't really know.
    The central observation in this particular situation is that the "store", in the form of its collective staff, behaved inconsistently, first allowing the shopper to try on the skirt, then freaking out about a guy in the fitting rooms.

Those of us in management positions in our jobs have (hopefully) all gotten lectures about sexual harassment, and the doctrine of "hostile environment", which requires a firm to provide a safe and harrassment-free environment for all its employees and customers. It would be perfectly reasonable policy that the male shopper should not have been allowed in the women's fitting room for that reason. If so, the first clerk was too "nice", and perhaps uninformed about the policy (which would be a management failure -- she can't implement policy she doesn't know about).

My problem is with the manager's reaction. She asked the shopper to leave, he said "OK", and she still attempted to escalate the situation to store security. Perhaps she was frightened that the shopper would transform into Jack the Ripper when he came out of the booth. Or, maybe she was just a jerk (is "jerk" a androgynous term ?). This whole situation would have been avoided if she'd just told him, "sir, we're happy to sell you clothes, but we get in trouble with other customers to have you in the womens fitting rooms. Please come out as quickly as you can, and we'll find you another spot to try things on."

Hugs,
    Susie

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gender_blender
    ...When I go to Deb's dressed as a guy, they (even my gay friend who works there) won't let me into the dressing room because they too have rules against guys being in there. However they have to let me in when I'm dressed as a female...
    Charlie
    Charlie,
    I'm surprised that you are not allowed into the Deb's dressing rooms as a guy. That is the one store that I actually asked to go into the dressing rooms (in guy mode) and they didn't even bat an eyelash. I will say though that their dressing rooms were individual doors that opened out into the store so they were independent.

As for my thoughts on the situation, I feel that if the first sales lady allowed it, it becomes a training issue with the sales people. The "mean" sales lady, whether right or wrong with store policy, was wrong and should be banished to the depths of h3ll for trying to escalate it to security when the customer was obviously willing to abide by the contradictory store "policy". That said, I would have bolted as well and would not be shopping there anymore.
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

Re: Evicted From Marshall Fields

In the past, I have worked at a large department store and, I'm well aware of stealth "floor walkers" and security. I'm also aware that many dressing rooms are monitored with video cameras. Shoplifting and employee theft has always been a problem and a great loss of revenue for these large stores. I'm also aware of the "pervs" that are cruising the women's department for ________ (you fill in the blank). I, also, understand many department stores realize that a large part of their customer base is Transgender related. May Company, here in Albuquerque, NM, has a dressing room in the Women's Department for their male clients!!! However, a guy shopping alone in any "women's" area is going to be noticed and stand out. Most stores don't care if you shop but, as far as dressing rooms and who uses them, is defined by strict store policy. It is helpful to know what that policy is BEFORE using the dressing rooms. Often, they will direct you to a nearby "male" dressing room or make some other arrangements.

If that CD was ready and willing to make a stand, she should have immediately gone to the Administrative Offices and asked to see the Store Manager! The "cranky" floor manager is not the one to be dealing with. She had already displayed her lack of diplomacy and confronting her would only escalate into a bigger incident than is necessary. More than likely, there have been other complaints about her "attitude" and Management would probably be sympathetic to your treatment. In other words, take your complaints to the highest level of management that is possible when you feel you have been unfairly treated.

While I'm at it (don't you love long posts), AA's (armchair activists) actually can do a lot of good, yet remain anonymous, if they will, at least, write letters to the appropriate people. In the above case, if everyone that responded to the "Chicago" thread sent a letter to the CEO and the Publicity Director of Marshall Fields Corp. and sent copies to the Manager of the State Street store... you know that you are going to get some attention. No company wants "negative" publicity. Two or three letters may not make an impact... but 50 will!!!
    Not a long post to me... In a practical, general way, those posted comments are what make most sense (IMO)... Out in the open is where the rubber meets the road...and whether it's a CD or TS...the cliche "knowlege is power" constantly applies... No one has to martyr themselves for the TG cause...just simply know yourself as throughly as possible, know your surrounding enviroment, and Know what will give you protection (legally and physically).

Complaint is the way to go (IMO) and strongly suggest the bad press potential (including internet).

J.

I don't feel it is worth it to make a stand in an unknown situtation. Calling security can go one of many ways. If she had stayed and duked it out with management and security, she would have had more than a good chance of being physically removed, arrested, or some such other negative consequence. What I'm about to say doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, but............ Quite frequently people who are hired as security guards don't always have what it takes to make an intelligent decision. We are talking about a low paying, low level job, and with that you don't always get top of the ladder thinkers. Department stores (and I've worked in one) have an incredible turn around in security personnel. Check the want ads. I think our hero in question did the right thing. Why risk the chance of having your name in the paper? Make a stand when it counts.

Dazed and Confused Amanda Leigh's Avatar
    my two cents is it just goes to show you how closed minded and pothetic that 3/4 of the public is like. its a shamed being that alot of cd's do shopping at Marshall Fields... I used to.

Jasmine Marrie
    sorry to hear what happend to you.it happend once to me too and i was angry about it.people tend to treat us cd's differntly then others and this is wrong.

Laws in States differ but...

If she had stayed after she was asked to leave then she could be arrested for tresspassing, by the Police. Store security can only detain a person who has comitted a crime (i.e. shoplifting). So if she left when store security asked her to she could not be held nor would she be arrested by the Police. Its a shame that people can be so ignorent and treat others as if they are better then someone else. There truely is good and bad in all types of people.
    [SIZE="2"]THE DREAD PIRATESS JAMES

[/SIZE]

Way back in my college days in the late 1960's, I had a part time job at a large department store in Atlanta. That store, even then, had a policy concerning men (dressed as men) that wish to try on women's clothing. Sales personnel were instructed to politely have the customer try on the garment in the changing rooms in the men's clothing department, but were also otherwise to treat the customer with utmost respect and... make the sale. It could be that Marshall Fields has a similar policy that was being severely misinterpreted by the "mean" sales clerk. I would certainly contact the store manager or even more senior personnel in the Marshall Fields organization and relate the entire incident. My bet is that if upper management were to find out the full story, the "mean" sales clerk would very shortly be in the unemployment line. Department stores are in the business of selling merchandise. They can't do that by harrassing customers.
    Phoebe

I would have been perfectly polite about the whole thing.

I've only ever had a problem in a store once, and it was completely unrelated to transgenderism.

It was many many years back when I and my wife at the time went into a new supermarket that had just opened. We shopped, and at the checkout I started to write a check (The U.K. has check cards that work just like debit cards, if you present the check card with the check, its' a guaranteed payment). The cashier takes my check and check card, flips the check over and then tells me that I should have had it 'stamped' when I came into the store. I politely explained that I hadn't been there before, and hadn't seen a sign to that effect.

So, she calls security. The security guy comes over and after hearing the explanation, takes my arm and starts to walk away. I didn't move.

I said, very very quietly, something like "Take your hand off me, that's assault."

He let's go and I walk with him back to the customer service counter. I asked him "So, where's this sign?".

He points.

I say "Oh, that small sign 3/4 hidden behind that potted plant on the counter top?"

They stamp my check and the security guard 'escorts' me back to the checkout, then follows me out to the door. I sent the wife out with the cart and turned to him.

"So, you want to escort me to the managers office so I can file assault charges now, or are you following me for a reason?"

I did complain to the manager, and a week later when we went in there again, they had a much larger sign, and no potted plant in front of it.

----------

So, that said, the way to deal with this kind of situation is to attemtp to remain calm, remain polite, and NOT be intimidated. Knowing your rights helps.

Unfortunately, the TG situation is usually one of extreme embarassment, so much so that the 'panic' reaction sets in. There's no easy way to deal with this, and no amount of words on the internet are going to help.

However, the internet *does* help with 'educating' retailers (especially chain retailers), they *hate* bad publicity or any accusation of prejudicial treatment. Especially when there are federal and state laws that prevent them from exhibiting prejudicial treatment.

Aspiring Member
    I think she did the right thing in leaving the store, particularly if she was at all nervous (as I would have been in the circumstances). I also think the shop needs to sort it's policies out so all staff are trained in the same way, knowing the SHOPS feelings and this sort of embarassing situation (for customer and staff) isn't repeated. The sales assistants should be trained so if they have any personal hang-ups they don't show it.

It appears (in my experience here, in the UK) that if you are dressed in drabs it's frowned upon to try womens clothes on in store (although I've not heard of anyone trying womens clothes in the mens cubicles.

If you are dressed when you ask to try on (possibly subject to how busy they are) it doesn't seem to be a problem to go into the ladies cubicles to try clothes on. I phoned on store well over a year ago now and asked about it and they said it was ok as long as I was dressed and no other customenrs complained. I was in another store one day (before I transitioned) and asked to try something on and the assistant said she'd check the cubicles were free. I can't be 100% sure but I think she was checking that none of them were in use.

However, last time I was shopping, a couple of weeks ago the shop was very busy and as I was just coming out someone else was waiting for a cubicle. As I opened the curtain and walked out the assistant said to her (refering to me) 'this ladies just finished, you can use this cubicle'. Love it when I hear those sort of comments

Anne

I've used the fitting room at Lane Bryant while en femme but the clerk knew I was a male. I gotta admit what that girl went thru would freak me out too!

But I hope I would be brave enough to ask for the manager...thats a good idea in a situation like that.