Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost did it but chickened out

Almost did it but chickened out

At CVS going by the lipsticks. I was temped to buy, but then didn't. I saw prices lower, then came close. Then I went to different CVS, stared again, even cheaper, $2 and then only $1, but was scared away by a sales associate. I even went to a third CVS as well.

I just cannot do it, I am too chicken and self conscious, wondering what other people will think. I guess I will never get over this.

I ended up going to the hairstylist and got a regular haircut instead, still nervous, but it helped.

I know that it can be really hard and nerve wracking! The truth is, nobody cares! I have been doing this for a long time. I was the same at one time, but after a while, it got a lot easier.
    Just walk up to that wall of lipstick like it is nobodys buisness! Because it isn't!
    Pick some up, look at different brands, pick something that you like, and pay for it!
    Sounds simple because it is!
    Have fun with it and if anyone says anything,(which they won't) just tell them that you can't make up your mind and could they give you their oppinion on a color for you!

Be carfeful - the tranny spotters are out there waiting to get you!!!!!!
    The alarms will sound, the spotlights shined onto you and an announcement "Trannie ALERT! Trannie ALERT!" screamed over the loudspeakers ...................

OR

"Who really cares a ****?"
    I acknowledge the FIRST TIME nerves sweetie, but you will find out that no one really cares at all. And, guess what, even if a SA suspected you just might be buying for you .. er ... er ... the world will turn, the sun will rise in the morning, you will never meet her again so you wont know what she thought and why would you care?

So, deep breath. Walk in positively. Pick up a lipstick. Walk positively to the checkout or the counter till, have your cash ready, pay and walk out.
    Dont forget to breathe again

After the first time, it gets esier and easier. I really did start off like you. You probably wont end up like me (live as a woman), but you will end up getting what you want, when you want.

Good luck
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

I think that we all have gone thru this at the start...as they always say, the first time is the hardest, but after a few times, it does get easier, but not as "natural" as buying a bag of chips or a roll of paper towels. It does get easier, but once in a while, if I have to get a new pair of "nails" I can still feel timid, even after all of these years, and feel that "pulse rise" when I go to the cashier. For your first purchase, maybe try the someplace different, as in my area, all CVS stores have young girls or guys as cashiers, which can make it more intimidating...or try on a weekday early in the morning, or during regular hours / after lunchtime, so the crowd has thinned somewhat, and there is no teenager at the counter.

try ordering on-line no stress
    Mistybtm

There is no question that it can be nerve racking the very first time you buy most any artical that is typified in the effeminant. To be honest, your the only one that cares. Most people are so busy in their own little worlds that they take little notice. On the rare occasion that I am shopping in drab and buying ladies sundries or articals of clothing, Yes I may get a comment or two but it's usually the sales girl commenting on my taste or how pretty the shoes or top are. Believe me it can be a blast and a conversations starter. But if your still not ready to be that (you shouldn't be embarassed about who and what you are, that's what makes it wrong in other peoples eyes) big or open, just mix the lipsticks in with a few other pick up items, kinda like the liqure store scene in American Grafitti.

Now I have thought about buying a couple of other things too to try to off set things, but I tend to buy stuff that only further incriminates me. People used to be a lot less accepting of things, and I do worry about being a bad influence so to speak.

Reminds me 20 years ago when I bought a pair of tights (still nervous then) and decided I needed something else, ok razors, that will do. The sales girl did seem put off by it. But that was then and this is now.

I try to find places that either have A)woman cashiers or B) self check out.

As far as buying online, the thrill of it is kinda taken out of it that way.

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    i find make up easy to buy! its clothes that i still get iffy with!

GIRL!!! go buy that lipstick..LOL I promise you it is so easy. Who cares what people that don't know you think. I go to the other side of town where no one knows me and I rack up on make up. I even bought some lipstick right at CVS just outside of my neighborhood. Anyway, just buy it as if you're suppose to. Some associates may give you a look, but buy it with confidence!!

I used to be shy and self conscious but when my wife asked me one day to buy her foundation for her I went it and bought it without feeling self conscious. I think because we are buying it for ourselves we think everyone else knows but really it's just in our own minds and people really don't care.

I too find makeup easy to buy. It never causes me any problem. But like Angie said, it's the clothes that sometimes gets to me. sometimes I can 'man up' (or is it woman up?) and just go in and buy what I want. Sometimes I go in and start to look and then freeze and leave without even looking that long. So I can relate to what the OP said.
    It's easy for me when it's Christmas gift buying season, or maybe even Valentine's Day. I guess I feel that it's normal for a man to be looking for a gift for his wife or girlfriend on those special occasions.

Formerly Deborah Whitney

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by brassieres View Post
    Now I have thought about buying a couple of other things too to try to off set things, but I tend to buy stuff that only further incriminates me. People used to be a lot less accepting of things, and I do worry about being a bad influence so to speak.

Reminds me 20 years ago when I bought a pair of tights (still nervous then) and decided I needed something else, ok razors, that will do. The sales girl did seem put off by it. But that was then and this is now.

I try to find places that either have A)woman cashiers or B) self check out.

As far as buying online, the thrill of it is kinda taken out of it that way.
    "incriminating"! You're not a criminal, you're a drab guy looking to spice up his life. If a cashier looks at me questioningly when I purchase "lady" things, I smile my spicy smile.

Honestly though, I never get that questioning look... maybe I'm blessed with obliviousness (is that a word?).

Look, you're a real man. You have doubts, yes? You want an excuse to shop for girl things? Here's the excuse ... wait for it ... repeat after me ... "I just wanna be me!". People respond to that kind of honesty.

disclaimer: yes, people respond to your honesty. Depending on circumstances and location, that response may or may not be friendly... but it's usually at least respectful.

Do they know you? Will you ever see them again? Will they remember you or are you just a customer buying a tube of lipstick? What would happen if you went into the same store and bought tampons for your wife? Would they remember you as the guy who buys tampons? NO - A lot of guys do that for their wives. A lot of guys are sent to the store to buy things for our wives. Lipstick is just one of the items.

So buy the lipstick already. Clothes are a little trickier but it still down to the same point. Who cares what people think who don't know you. So it is up to you. Are you going to let people you don't know and will probably never meet again stop you from buying feminine items. Act like this is an item your wife told you to buy and you will be fine.
    Michelle

Don't feel bad. I went through a similar situation last night. My wife had bought a skirt at Fashion Bug that the zipper broke on when she went to model it at home. She asked me to return it while she was on vacation.

I thought this would be a great opportunity to exchange it for some panties for me. Nice sale at buy 3, get 3 free. I was also going to wear sandals into the store showing off my beautiful pedicure.

Alas, when I pulled up in front of the store, I chickened out and put some shoes on. I did have a bikini top on under my shirt, my typical panties, light eyeliner and mascara, sheer light pink lipstick, and perfume on, but couldn't bring myself to show off my pedi.

Anyways, when I took the skirt to the counter and said that my wife had bought this and wanted me to return it for her, the SA looked at me and gave me one of those half-smiles and a mini-nod of the head. At that point, I no longer had the nerve to go any further.

Now, I wish I had asked her to exchange the item for some panties and gone over and picked some out. Next time.

Makeup

Yes makeup is quite easy for me and it's the lingerie and clothing that still brings the sweety palms out though it doesn't hold me back if I want a new dress or some sexy lingerie as when in the mood I'm driven... Lacy

Platinum Member
    don't feel bad about this. It really isn't that important whether you buy your makeup at the store or on line. Try to let your CDing be fun, not an ordeal!

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar

Not to worry

I carry some of my Pictures of me (Avatar and photo section) in my shoulder/fanny pack...have had to show them only a couple of times "darn" wish there were more times....
    Sales Associates ALWAYS say "WOW!"
    Remember I am 70, old Broads do well !!!

JoanAz

The last 3 weeks i have gone from never buying anything in a shop ( except lingeri that i find easy) to being able to buy and talk about things .

for me it helped by having a goal . i spent more time thinking and worrying about it than you can imagine, but beleieve me things suddenly get easy. its one of those " its all about confidence things" once i tryed and brought my first dress things where all down hill from there . now i have no problem just walking into a shop and picking up what i need or asking for some help .

if you break it down into simple things " what you buy in a shop and who and what it is to be used for is really none of there buisness its only a probelm in our minds ," A lot of us here have been there worrying about buying things in shops and but believe me once you are comforable with it you will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about ,

but saying all that i can understand how you feel as dam!!! its not easy at the start

Do it at the grocery store when you shop for food. Nobody cares. And that advice comes from a worrier like you. Make-up is a breeze to buy.

Gold Member
    Years ago (about 20) I was building a special display case at a store that
    was a deep maroon color pre-stained wood. I needed some nail hole puddly
    and could not find any that matched. Then I dawned on me, Why not look
    for some lipstick. HAY HAY, I found just the rite color to match the scrap
    of wood I brought in. So I bought 1 stick. Now I was on the way home
    from work, Very drab and dirty from saw dust. Two days later I went back
    to the Walgreen's where I bought the first one, looking for more. This time
    I got two. Now the same SA was at the register, and looked at me and
    asked how I liked the color. O' Its great, I said, It matches my hammer
    quite well. She looked puzzled, and I walked out; Leaving her to wonder.
    Long story short; Your money is as good as the next person in line, so
    build up a little confidence and just go for it. Now a days when I purchase
    cosmetics, I bring in a small slip of paper, on it is what I am buying.
    Now if asked, well I am getting what I was sent for. Works every time.
    Rader

Quote Originally Posted by brassieres View Post
    I just cannot do it, I am too chicken and self conscious, wondering what other people will think. I guess I will never get over this.
    Never say never!

These other people you speak of? Do they know you?

If not, then why care what they think?

Just buy the lipstick! Your life won't end! May even get better?!
    DonnaT

Wow looks like we have all been through the first time jitters.Buy a few other items also and kind of mix it in but make sure it has the price on it.You don't want the SA to get on the microphone and say "Price check on lipstick"I have been doing it for years and still get the jitters.Once you get the first time over then the shopping is on.If you went to 3 CVS then you must be near a large town and most people are so wrapped up in their own lives they don't care what you do.But always be nice.Hey,It's the girly thing to do.Good luck and go for it.

Thanks on the price check idea, but I was thinking about using self check out instead. As far as the amount of CVS's, yes I do live in a large city in the Northeast.

Had to respond on the self-checkout thing. I recently bought a few cheap items of make-up from a large supermarket as a starter set. I too was nervous, so I bought a small number of food items as camouflage, and decided to use the self-checkout.

Of course when self-checkout goes wrong, you really draw attention to yourself. And if you're feeling nervous and lacking in confidence, then the checkout machine can tell, and is more likely to go wrong. I couldn't for the life of me get the items recognised by the scanner, so the young woman who was 'self-checkout monitor' came over, and with a knowing smile demonstrated the correct scanning technique with the lipstick, and then watched over me, as I scanned the remaining items, foundation, blusher, mascara, eye-liner, eye-shadow, oh and a pack of apples and some biscuits and hurriedly put them in my bag. My face must have reddened, as I mumbled my thanks and left.

On the plus side, the world didn't end and I now own some make up. But in future I would just use a regular checkout and a dash of confidence - much simpler.

Try to recognise your own mood and buy when it feels right. If I'm buying on account of a pink-fog moment, then I'm more likely to be nervous. If it's more considered and less of a need, then I'm more likely to be relaxed and just get on with it.

Good luck

Susie

Fun loving Florida girl! tammygirl79's Avatar
    Aaaawwww sweetie, I was right there in your spot. The first time is without a doubt the hardest. I was ordering makeup online and then I realized that some things you just have to buy in person, you can't by over the computer. i was extremely nerveous at first....running a million scenarios in my head. Going to makeup aisles/counters, and then chickening out. Finally i just said to myself that i am going to do it, and that's it! So i finally did it one day. I even asked a SA for help....now i do admit, I gave a story about how i was buying makup for my young daughter because i needed to make her up for a dance recital.....but the point is, I did it....and you can too sweetie. Once you do, i think you will see that is wasn't nearly as hard as you were getting yourself all worked up for!
    As a man I may look like I belong, but I don't feel like I belong...As a woman I may not look like I belong, but I feel like I belong!