Thread: Traveling the Mid West

Traveling the Mid West

In about two weeks I plane to take a 3 week trip around the upper and lower mid west to photography weather. Not interested in tornados, but storm fronts with lightning. I hope to get to Montana, Idaho, Kansas and have to be in Oklahoma City on the 30th of July. My question is can anyone provide me some possible sites in these states where I could go out dressed at night safely, should the opportunity arise?

When you get to OKC stay at the Habana Inn, an aging but well-run gay hotel with lots of amenities situated in the heart of the small gay district -- clubs, eateries etc. The hotel itself has two pools, a good restaurant, a piano bar and two nightclubs, so you never have to leave the premises if you don't want to. I spent a totally femme weekend there recently and also went to local malls and stuff with zero problems, had a great time. Ask for a room near the pool and restaurant. (You can see a picture of one of their rooms, sort of, in my photo album, and more on their web site.)

BTW, here in the Texas panhandle (think Amarillo, due west of OKC) with our big sky, we get some stunning vistas when storms pass through, very dramatic and beautiful.
    Last edited by sherri; 06-30-2010 at 09:38 PM.

I think that Missoula and Kalispell are the safest cities to go out in, but I don't know of the actual night-spots. If you come to Great Falls, let me know, and at least we could get together at my residence and have a nice dinner (which I would gladly cook). I would love to have a fem evening even though it would have to be confined to my place--Great Falls is not a good place to go out as far as I know.
    Just let me know if and when you're coming.
    warmly, Linnea

Sherri and Linnea. Thank you for your responses. I guess we do not have many members in the areas I'm going. I'll check out the Habana Inn when I get to OKC and if I get to your area Limma I'll contact you via this site. I'll have my lap top with me.

Alice

I have also visited Oklahoma City and frankly I loved the place.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn and was treated very well, as I usually am with Holiday Inns. I'm so sorry, but this was so long ago that I no longer know exactly which Holiday Inn address I was at, but they have ALL been friendly to me.

I ate dinner most nights at the Habana and as I recall the food and the service were both pretty good. I do recall hearing or reading a story from someone who stayed at the Habana and they were not pleased with the hotel side of things, alleging that some of the less desirable elements tended to wander through the hotel in the evenings. Again, I can't even recall where I heard or read this, and so have no idea if it is true or not. For myself, I wouldn't stay at the hotel because of what I'd heard, but I would go out of my way to eat there. If I recall correctly, they had really good Mushroom soup! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I have also visited Oklahoma City and frankly I loved the place.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn and was treated very well, as I usually am with Holiday Inns. I'm so sorry, but this was so long ago that I no longer know exactly which Holiday Inn address I was at, but they have ALL been friendly to me.

I ate dinner most nights at the Habana and as I recall the food and the service were both pretty good. I do recall hearing or reading a story from someone who stayed at the Habana and they were not pleased with the hotel side of things, alleging that some of the less desirable elements tended to wander through the hotel in the evenings. Again, I can't even recall where I heard or read this, and so have no idea if it is true or not. For myself, I wouldn't stay at the hotel because of what I'd heard, but I would go out of my way to eat there. If I recall correctly, they had really good Mushroom soup! LOL
    It is true that some cruising goes on in the breezeways at one end of the Habana complex -- it is the cornerstone establishment of the OKC gay district -- but I haven't seen anyone that struck me as particularly unsavory. But it's good that you pointed this out cuz I guess it could be disconcerting for someone who isn't gay or bi or used to being in a gay environment. It's not a negative for me cuz I'm wired that way. But the hotel security is very good and always patrolling in the evenings, and like I said, if you ask for a room near the restaurant you're not gonna see that much traffic. The hotel mgmt tries to stay out of everyone's business, but they don't allow no bad vibes either. But if Alice isn't comfortable in a decidedly gay environment, the Holiday Inn sounds like a good option to me. She can always go to the Habana for other stuff, as you did.

Speaking of which, I think Habana's restaurant is really pretty and has a nice view of the pool, and the service is very good, but I'd say the menu is not terribly imaginative and the cooking is only a couple notches above competent. You won't get burned there, but you won't be orgasmic either. A couple of exceptions - the breakfasts are quite good, and I was very pleasantly surprised by a really tasty gourmet pizza dinner entree. It's just a really nice ambience and a safe place to linger over a meal. Cute waiters too. Oh -- they stay open after the clubs close on the weekends.

Whatever you do, please avoid Kansas. It's now officially the worst state in the Union on my list.

Ok, but if you have to go, I know a couple of bars in Junction City, KS that you can go to dressed up. I did and everybody was cool.