Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the Weight Down

Cute, Sweet, and Petite!! DeniseNY's Avatar

Getting the Weight Down

Hi!

This last year I had a major struggle with my weight. I found out the hard way that certain dresses and almost all shoes fit very differently as your weight changes. Women's clothes are much less forgiving of weight changes than men's clothes.

I worked very hard over the last year, lost 15 lbs, and finally reached my goal weight. It's unbelievable how much better my skirts and dresses fit now. Although some of my skirts are now unwearable because I don't have the hips to hold them up.

The real upside is that I go out enfemme a lot now and I pass a whole lot easier.

Do any of you ladies have any weight-loss/weight-gain stories?
    "He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat."
    - Napoleon

"Yeah, whatever, but can you kick MY ass?"
    - Duke of Wellington

Well Denise;

Congratulations on making your goal weight. Was it through diet or excersize or both?

I have what you could call a sedentary job. I sit for 10 to 15 hours a day behind the wheel of a "big rig".

I could do with some tummy toning, and probably the loss of 15 to 20 pounds.

I drive with a cooler beside me, and am almost constantly munching on something. Most often veggies or fruit.

I would like very much to lose a few of those extra pounds. ( A couple of sizes would be nice too).

Perhaps by autumn, I too will have that "to die for" body.

Cute and Southern Fried KerryLynn's Avatar
    Good job with your goals Now i have to say if you want to sculpt your body to how it will look toned ((not muscules ect)) but tone up take martail arts Its a lot of work but the results are more than worth it. Im at my ideal weight however theres some flacid skin that is changeing every class i take.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Evil Monkey..... ooops wrong panties

Currently, my body is more "to die from." It's not because I lack discipline. In fact, in my life I've probably lost at least five whole ladies.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Diet more effective than exercise.

The current research shows diet will drop your weight better than exercise. Here is an article that explains it well. Exercise is very important to our health and toning of the body, but I know a lady who swims every day yet stays overweight. She eats all the wrong things and lots of it. Her hobby is cooking and eating. I am not criticizing her for her choices in life, simply pointing out an example that to actually get the pounds off, exercising is less effective than diet. The healthy answer is do both.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13821677/

From MSNBC News

With excess weight a greater problem than ever, the question of whether changing eating habits or exercise is more likely to produce weight loss is vital.

A new study confirms the overall research findings that dietary change, specifically eating less fat, produces more weight loss than changes in exercise. But it also shows that changes in one kind of behavior may help promote changes in the other, especially among women.

Many studies have compared weight loss resulting from changing diet versus increasing activity. Most often, weight loss during programs focused on dietary change produced two to three times greater weight loss than programs focused on exercise.

However, it’s long-term results that matter for our health. One analysis of many such studies showed that by one year after the end of these programs, there was no significant difference in the weight status of participants. This raises the question of whether people can maintain changes in exercise more easily than changes in eating habits. The answer, of course, almost surely depends on individual preferences as well as how unpleasant or enjoyable the attempted diet or exercise program was.
    Last edited by Jenny Gurl; 07-03-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Down 22 pounds in 6 months. Only another 70 to go.

Just over a year ago I made the decision that Tashy was going to get out and about. I also made the decision that 10kg (22lbs) of blubber had to go. With that motivation behind me on, it was quite easy.

1. Treadmill for an hour three times a week
    2. Very low carb / high protein diet

I went from 91kgs to 80kgs in about 6 weeks. I was able to fit into an Aussie size 12 skirt, which hasn't been possible since I was in my late teens

Happy days are here

Tash

Funny that you should post this, I was going to start one just like it but now I'll just chime in on this one.

I have many reasons to lose weight, one is that I have a lot of people in my family who are diabetic and I know that I can cut my chances of acquiring down significantly if I'm not obese or overweight. (Still not sure what the difference is.) When I could no longer wear a mens dress shirt because the top button wouldn't button, I knew I was getting to fat. I could also hear the pitter patter of the chubby feet from the plus size section.

I've lost about 20 pounds in 8 weeks. It's a great start but I'd like to lose about 20 more. I hadn't been able to really see or feel very many positive results until yesterday. I have a skirt that I have kept for years based on sentimental value, it's the first one I ever owned that was my very own, I haven't been able to zip it up for years and yesterday I zipped it up, I couldn't believe it, I was so excited. Finally, concrete results!

I have to admit though that my main motivation for losing weight is to go down in dress sizes and get back into some things that don't fit anymore.

Um, yeah. There was a time when I was in very good shape. I let myself go and gained about 200 pounds over the course of ten years. I've lost about 100 pounds of it so far.

I made the same point on this site as Jenny that its diet rather than exercise that looses weight.
    Unfortunately I got a lot of negative responses. Even some rather rude and hostile messages.
    I have been controlling my weight by diet for over 15 years and have my “body to die for”
    But telling certain members here is like hitting your head against a brick wall!
    Exorcise helps to tone and shape your body so has its place in helping you to “shape up”
    I hope you don’t get the negative response that I got Jenny.

SUZY

Just Being Me!
    Hi girls.

Sorry to hear you got blasted for your comments Suzy........some people huh?

May I add my little bit here too.

I totally agree regarding the change of diet.......the type of things we put in our body's.........and gentle exercise.

What I've found, for me personally, that is, is wheat!!!

I cut down on wheat intake.......and changed to eating rice bread and 'Free From' wheat and gluten products. It took a few days to get used to but I noticed an almost instant difference in my body bulk.......the 'bloated' look disappeared.......dropping my waist size down by almost 2.5 inches i just over a week.

Exercising and toning became more apparent quite quickly.

I still have an occasional real bread 'butty'........but the change in body mass is so much more comfortable, I couldn't go backward.

Also, throughout my own personal and lengthy research, upto 85% of men are 'Estrogen Dominant', which will also push the weight and bloatedness up..........but that subject is a whole new ballgame that I'm also working with.

I hope my little addition to this post is helpful.

Nicci. X

I think everyone is unique. Some people may have great results with exercise, and some not so much. Others have a particularly bad reaction to carbohydrates or fats or whatever. We can't assume what worked for ourselves will work equally well for everyone. If it did, we would all have the answer and the diet industry would be put out of business overnight.

That said, the biggest factor I've noticed for myself is restaurant food. If I stay away from restaurants, it makes a big difference. Exercise is good, but all it takes is one buffet to undo a week's worth of exercise.

Cute, Sweet, and Petite!! DeniseNY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyC View Post
    Well Denise;

Congratulations on making your goal weight. Was it through diet or excersize or both?

I have what you could call a sedentary job. I sit for 10 to 15 hours a day behind the wheel of a "big rig".

I could do with some tummy toning, and probably the loss of 15 to 20 pounds.

I drive with a cooler beside me, and am almost constantly munching on something. Most often veggies or fruit.

I would like very much to lose a few of those extra pounds. ( A couple of sizes would be nice too).

Perhaps by autumn, I too will have that "to die for" body.
    Thank you.

This is actually the second time I lost the weight. I have many risk factors for diabetes (i.e. African-American ancestry, Native American ancestry, family members on both sides with history of diabetes). The only factor under my control is my weight, and I have tried to watch it my whole life.

I lost 16 lbs and gained it all back the first time. The first time was through exercise and was accidental. I took a job that was far from y house, and I had to catch a bus at 6:00 in the morning. The bus was 1.2 miles from my house. So I was forced to walk 1.2 miles every morning and evening. (although I took the time to practice my femme walk in the morning when no one was watching). It came off pretty fast with the exercise. Then I got my car after about four months, and the weight came back as quickly as I took it off.

The second time was by diet alone. It took a whole lot longer - nearly five months. But with the change in the diet, I don't think it will come back this time (I hope). I made a few key changes to my diet. I stopped eating pork and beef. Other than that, I eat anything I can get hold of, even chocolate and snacks and ice cream. I try to include chicken, turkey, or fish, a salad, and some type of green vegetable if I can help it (spinach, collard greens, kale, chard, etc.). But when the meal is over, no more eating of any type. And I only eat one or two times per day, no snacks or anything between meals.

I'm just sharing because if it helps someone, all the better.
    "He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat."
    - Napoleon

"Yeah, whatever, but can you kick MY ass?"
    - Duke of Wellington

Anne, the diet industry relies on people believing what they tell them. People buy into it because they are looking for an easy and fast way to loose weight.
    The facts are, if you eat less you loose weight. And that applies to you, me, and everyone.
    One good although unpleasant example is the Nazi concentration camps. I know that’s an extreme example but it proves the point doesn’t it?
    Sorry but I feel strongly about this subject because I think it is so important, not just for our body shape but for the general health of all of us.
    Hope I have not upset anyone again, really I do.

Have fun, SUZY

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    The facts are, if you eat less you loose weight. And that applies to you, me, and everyone.
    One good although unpleasant example is the Nazi concentration camps. I know that’s an extreme example but it proves the point doesn’t it?
    Sorry but I feel strongly about this subject because I think it is so important, not just for our body shape but for the general health of all of us.
    Hope I have not upset anyone again, really I do.
    I'm not upset, but for our body shape and general health we need to watch what we eat, not just randomly eat less. A bodybuilder and a runner need two very different types of diets to get the results they want. One of my relatives went on a low sodium diet that was SO low he had to be hospitalized. As another example, similar to concentration camp victims, anorexics can actually damage their bodies with poor nutrition.

I feel strongly about this too because I was into weightlifting for years (among other sports) when I was young, and recently started getting back into it.
    Last edited by Andy66; 07-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.

congrats to all who have shed pounds i am down 20 with 80 to go.

Yo Yo

Good Morning,
    I have been up and down many times. I have just started again to lose weight and I am committed. I need to get off 35 pounds and I plan to do it over the next 6 months with small changes in diet and exercise.
    I used to be able to wear a 26" corset and size 10 skirt, now 30" and size 14. I hate the way it looks and want to be pretty again.
    It is hard but, hearing all your successes makes me hopeful.
    I'll let you know how t goes and if I get closer maybe I'll even post some pictures.
    Hugs,
    Connie

Really? Unhappy with a size 14? Let me play my vio...anyway. When I was rock solid small as I can get a 12-14 was the smallest I could fit, 18-20 up top. Broad shoulders do not go away.

As far as the weight, 248 in 2002, 174 in 2008, 250 in 2010, back down to 217 and still going. "Diet" and "exercise" together are the only thing that works for me. Yoga, strength training (not weights), crunches and many miles of walking. As I have quite the wardrobe awaiting me, 33 pounds to go.

Just remember Ladies, the more age we have on the frame, the harder it is to take off from the frame what we have so readily applied.

Congrats on the weight loss Denise! It is true that womens clothing is much less forgiving than mens and there is only so much that shapers and hose can do I went from being 215 down to 175 in about 2 years and it has made all the difference with my dressing. I focused on a healthy diet for the first year and lost about 25 pounds and I added cardio and lower body workouts to finish it up. Once you get down to a weight it is soooo much easier to maintain if you keep a reasonable diet.

success shows

I just went to Zoeyp's public site. I would say your effort to lose weight paid off big time. You look really pretty and truly HOT. I am inspired to lose the weight and hope I can look half as good.
    You should get some sexy boots to go with that tight dress.

I started a more dedicated push to lose weight last August so I would be slimmer to walk my daughter down the aisle for her wedding April.

Managed to obtain my goal to lose 75 lbs.

Since then, due to a change in thyroid meds, I've put 10 lbs back on.

I swim 2500 meters every weekday morning, do time on the elliptical machine once or twice a day, and due to the weight gain, have started including a 2 mile walk at noon.

Hoping to lose at least 30 more to get to 185 lbs.
    DonnaT

As I understand it, a consistent exercise regimen raises your metabolism so that you naturally burn more calories. This would potentiate the effect of eating fewer calories in the first place. Beyond that lies the unknown.

As far as men's clothing being more forgiving of weight fluctuation, I can't agree. It depends on how form-fitting the article is. Women's empire waist garments and skirts are so much more comfortable for me than anything made for a man that there's no contest.

Of course, I'd still like to be a size ten, but it ain't gonna happen.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

My weight loss story is actually very simple IMO. I went from 187 lbs in January 2010 and am now 165 lbs as of July 2010. These are the things I did:

1. Make sure I eat 3 meals a day. This is so that metabolism can be high throughout the day.
    2. Cardio (running on a treadmill) for an hour for at least 3 days.
    3. Cut off all caffeine, including soda.
    4. Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    5. Cut out all sweets.
    6. Eat a lot more vegetables/salads with entrees.
    7. Lift weights to tone muscles.

Sounds like a lot, but its actually not that bad once you get into the swing of things

2 years ago I weighed 340lbs (no joke). That summer I decided to make a change, completely eliminate soda (nothing but powdered flavor packets dropped into water). Had it not been for this new convenience, I might never have made the change. this made me drop 20 lbs very quickly, and slowly another 10 pounds without any other changes to exercise or diet. Since I plateued, I searched for another way to drop some more weight (eat lower fat foods, less carbs, less sugar), tried to workout when I could (treadmill or bicycle weather permitting), dropped about another 10 pounds (finally back to my wedding weight).

Then about a month ago I got really sick, dropped like 15 lbs because I simply couldn't hardly eat for like 2 weeks, I'm down to 275lbs. I've been struggling just to float around this weight (currently about 278lbs). Lately I try to workout more, monitor my calories, been trying "alli" which is a pill that makes your body reject fat intake from foods. Been eating thin bread, eating cereal in the morning instead of high calorie bagels, try to eat fruit when I need a sweet instead of sugar.

EC stack (20 mg ephedrine/200 mg caffeine) three times a day is pretty effective for appetite suppression and increasing metabolism.

I do intermittent fasting to maintain my weight (eating high protein/lowish carbs in an 8 hour period from midday to 8pm), don't really want to lose much weight but I don't want to gain any either, this is just an easy approach to follow.