Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is crossdressing socially acceptable to you?

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    The current question is not meant as a poll of everyone else, it's meant as a simple, "How do YOU feel about crossdressing?" question.
    Well, as a CDer myself, one who is not in the closet, and one who has a supportive and encouraging wife, I'm pretty much bound to say I love crossdressing! In the world I live in (mine) crossdressing is totally socially acceptable ... the problems start when I venture out of my private world (my house) and interact with "people in other worlds"
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

of course

I guess I look at this from a very pragmatic perspective. What clothes one wears is clearly not an issue. Makeup...a lot of men wear makeup. So what does it come down to?

It is the presentation of another perspective that we have inside of us. How can it be inherently bad to present that perspective to the world? I just don't see the problem. In fact, I see it as an asset. We have a perspective that potential mates can not get from a single-gendered male.

So my question becomes, "why isn't society seeing us for the incredibly insightful people we are?"

tina

Reasons why it makes me nervous...

I am all for going out and hitting the town.

HOWEVER...

I know that most people find that it is NOT socially acceptable, or morally acceptable...blah, blah, blah....I live in the Bible Belt. My fear is that Hannah and I would be out on the town and he would be read...then, something would happen where I would fear for our safety.

So, no matter how socially acceptable I find it to be, let's think back to all of the hate crimes committed on the transgendered.

That's enough for me to be extremely careful about it all, which is a shame because it all remains in the closet and our society goes no where in its accepting of CDing.

I mean, where I live, the N-word is still used pretty loosely. It's a shame. I sometimes feel like I live in the 1800s. And, it only keeps Ryan dressing inside, and me pretty nervous about the thought of him going out, especially alone.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Banned Read only
    It's a sad world isn't it that putting on some kind of clothing that is regarded as being women's can make you worry for your safety. I demand women all go back to wearing dresses, they are prettier anyway!

I have been wondering how many people on these forums actually think crossdressing is socially acceptable - to themselves?

So, I'm fine being who I am and I'm fine with most other people crossdressing, or, having tatoos, or, being in different political parties. As long as they make no more noise, spill as little or less of their drinks, and, give others the space to be who they are... I really don't pay much attention.

So, how many people reading these words are fine with crossdressing, their crossdressing, and, other people crossdressing?

It is, "OK" to you, as you read this, or, does CDing still seem somehow "wrong" to you?
    Well, it is other people for me and I am totally OK with it.
    The only thing that is wrong to me is being unkind or hurtful to others in whatever form that might be.

I like the differences in people. Wouldn't it be awful boring if everyone were all the same?

I accept everyone. sad to say sociaty doesn't. gays and lesbiens are widely accepted in this country USA and thats good. the GLBT community is great and alive and well. just seems the "T" girls are on some back shelf. like whe're some freaky side show. WE WILL GET ARE ACCEPTANCE! in time. KELLYANN

Silver Member
    It took me many years to come to terms with the fact that I was what I was and that is a crossdresser, going back then I didn't have groups like this so my crossdressing was in isolation, only me and my strange head

But now I am perfectly fine with my crossdressing, I am who I am and am really happy with it and comfortable with me and am perfectly happy with others and yes I find crossdressing socially acceptable to me and am happy to give compliments to other girls on here when they post pictures, and if I saw one of our girls in the street, would be happy to pass a nice hello

I have found that this acceptance with me has made me more acceptable of others in general

I accept any and all.

Truthfully, the only intolerable people are religious hypocrites who pretend to be all high and mighty and believe they KNOW what's out there. The pack mentality is something I will never understand or identify with.

Outcasts, weirdos, and proudly unique people are all welcome!

Me, Myself & Rachael Rachaelb64's Avatar
    My Life's philosophy has always been one of trying to accept people for who they are, not what colour, creed, religion or sexuilty they are.

The problem I feel is a tribal one. If you don't belong to the tribe your viewed as outsider/threat.

To dress in woman's clothes is viewed as anti-tribal, not part of the tribal culture.

But saying that tribal cultures do change, sometimes for the good.

Personally I one those people who feel the World would be a much better place if we all just accepted each other
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is to short so enjoy it to the full

:

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Today is a good day to Dress!

[SIZE="3"]A generation ago, it was consicered odd, for a woman to wear pants regularly, but, society soon accepted it, and, now, skirts and dresses are a rare thing on women. Too bad, that the same acceptence, is still not there, for CD men. It is slowly improving. I admit some religious guilt, yet, and paranoid, but, am far more accepting of my desire to dress, than several years ago. I am artistic, and consider it art.[/SIZE]

Having been raised in a homophobic and transphobic society, I internalized those negative feelings long ago. I have learned to accept myself for who I am and to have more tolerance and sympathy for those different from myself. I have been out and about and done things as Wendy that I once could never have dreamed possible. For all that, there is a tiny voice in my mind that embodies that intolerance that I have largely overcome. I don't know if it will ever go away; I just ignore it the best that I can and try to become still more accepting and tolerant.

CDing is not wrong per say but it does not meet the mores of our society. You may get looked at weird but the will probably be the worst of it. I think that is even seldom people just don't care and all our lives are to short to mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Quote Originally Posted by KELLYANN View Post
    I accept everyone. sad to say sociaty doesn't. gays and lesbiens are widely accepted in this country USA and thats good. the GLBT community is great and alive and well. just seems the "T" girls are on some back shelf. like whe're some freaky side show. WE WILL GET ARE ACCEPTANCE! in time. KELLYANN
    I have that exact same impression. Where I live transsexuals or transgendered people are simply referred to as "transpeople", literally "people from the other side" . I'm not from the other side of society, thank you very much. Not sure if it's just a condescending piece of political correctness or if there's underlying transfobia, but I don't think I'm even allowed to question it. I don't know if bigender qualifies for the LGBT community, so I guess I'd better keep my mouth shut.

The attitude seems to be that gender is mutually exclusive, going back and forth is not allowed.

soulmate of Mrs.M...GG Victoria Anne's Avatar
    socially acceptable ? For me yes for society that is another question. I am acceptable of my self and anyone else, if we all would just accept eachother for who we are this would be a much better and stronger world for it by our actions we should be judged.

On the road of discovery ... learning to be the woman I have always been.

Http://photobucket.com/viccy

I accept who I am and what I do in whatever mode that I am presenting. I also believe that others should be free to do the same. That does not mean that I like how they act or look, or that I would associate with them. Since I am a late starter, slow learner and was raised in the Midwest where new and different experiences were few and far between, I had to experience some of these new "things and activities" over the years in different locations, not so much from personal hands-on experience but by watching and seeing others.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 07-16-2010 at 06:28 PM.

mklinden2010-

Very eloquent and well said. If the busybody world (and the sheep that follow them) spent more time accepting each individual AS IS, as long as that behavior isn't illegal or injurious to others, then the ENTIRE world would be Eden indeed.

I may have stated this already, but.

I wish people could just present themselves how they wished, but of course within reason. No exposure of private parts. LOL.

I do wish we could also choose daily what mode we wanted, without facing the possibility of losing our jobs, or being called crazy, and so on and so forth.

For instance, this morning I wish for my job today behind a desk at my flying club, instead of wearing blue jeans and t-shirt, I could instead put on my black disco jeans, long elegant shirt, nice men's ankle boots with 1/2 heel, and some light makeup. Of course I can't. Really no reason though, aside from possibly ruining my career.

That last line should not be a fear faced by anyone just for wearing what they like.

To me crossdressing should be more acceptable than look like and acting like a violent member of society. A look that for some reason is wholly acceptable.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by KELLYANN View Post
    [SIZE="2"] Right on Kelly. YES it acceptable to me . I love who I am. I love both sides of my life male side and femme side!!!!!!
    I would also like to ask why is it such a big deal it is just clothes, isn't it ? LOVE TO ALL MY SISTERS [/SIZE]
    Gale

I have to admit, as comfortable as I am while crossdressed, my social programming from way back still tells me that I'm doing something wrong. I know on an intellectual level that it's NOT wrong, but these blueprints are hard to overcome. It's probably a large part of the reason I usually stay home when I do this, and don't go out anywhere. Once in a while I'll venture out, but for the most part, I don't. And one does not hide, if one does not feel on some level that it's wrong to do this.

That aside, I still love it!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

In some ways it still seems wrong, but I never let that stop me. See those feelings come from being raised in a Southern Baptist Church all of my life and marrying a woman whose father was a deacon of a Fundamental Independent Baptist Church.

I totally accept myself now. I haven't crossdressed and gone out in public for a year when I finally started back in June. I have some fear now about being out which is quickly disappearing. The fear is there because I haven't gone out in awhile.
    Michelle

well we will not talk about when i was a kid, (unknowing) but as a general thing i can say i never had a real problem with seeing anyone else cross dressed. and to this day see no problem with it.
    but real life is another story.
    for some time now women can have a pair of slacks or jean's on and no problem, years (a lot of them) back they could not be seen in public that way.
    maybe one day it will not be a problem in the main stream to be a guy in a skirt/dress.
    but i think it will be a loooog time for that to come to be.

To me, it is perfectly all right and fine and socially acceptable. To a fairly large (and insensitive and ignorant--I must say) part of US society, it is aberrant and socially unacceptable. I won't let that stop me partly because I have lived long enough as a CD to know that at previous times it was much, much worse. At least now, it is not illegal in many places or grounds for institutionalization.
    warmly, Linnea

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    I have that exact same impression. Where I live transsexuals or transgendered people are simply referred to as "transpeople", literally "people from the other side" . I'm not from the other side of society, thank you very much. Not sure if it's just a condescending piece of political correctness or if there's underlying transfobia, but I don't think I'm even allowed to question it. I don't know if bigender qualifies for the LGBT community, so I guess I'd better keep my mouth shut.

The attitude seems to be that gender is mutually exclusive, going back and forth is not allowed.
    More than likely, it's just well-intentioned bad grammar/semantics.
    I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    I am all for going out and hitting the town.

HOWEVER...

I know that most people find that it is NOT socially acceptable, or morally acceptable...blah, blah, blah....I live in the Bible Belt. My fear is that Hannah and I would be out on the town and he would be read...then, something would happen where I would fear for our safety.

So, no matter how socially acceptable I find it to be, let's think back to all of the hate crimes committed on the transgendered.

That's enough for me to be extremely careful about it all, which is a shame because it all remains in the closet and our society goes no where in its accepting of CDing.

I mean, where I live, the N-word is still used pretty loosely. It's a shame. I sometimes feel like I live in the 1800s. And, it only keeps Ryan dressing inside, and me pretty nervous about the thought of him going out, especially alone.
    There are no places for Tgirls to meet where you are?
    I guess those of us who have Sisters groups that regularly meet on weekends in a safe, accepting environment should appreciate what they have.
    So far, I've only been involved with groups online but I hope to get something semi-organized where I live (safely....this is a very old-fashioned area and we don't want anyone to lose their jobs or be ridiculed by the small towns they live in).

Personal security is a constitutional freedom and an important issue.....in my state, practically everybody is armed (and I am also very pro-second amendment).
    If I had my druthers, all TGs and their better-halves would be licensed to carry some sort of self-defense weapon.

For whatever society (some of it) may presume about cross-dressing, no judge/jury in its right mind should convict a spouse who had to do what it took to defend their spouse.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    So, how many people reading these words are fine with crossdressing, their crossdressing, and, other people crossdressing?

It is, "OK" to you, as you read this, or, does CDing still seem somehow "wrong" to you?
    Cross-dressing certainly seems OK to me. I'm just glad I no longer have to do it since I started to transition. In the months before, I felt physically sick every time I had to cross-dress and pretend to be a man, but I accepted it as a short-term inconvenience.

As far as my feelings about other people cross-dressing are concerned, I cannot imagine why I would think that it was "wrong" in any way shape or form. The only caveat to that is that anyone who only cross-dresses for the purpose of assaulting another, is not in my opinion a true cross-dresser and I feel that such behaviour should be counted as an aggravating factor.

I don't join in with the crowd in condemning another CD who might have offended someone's sensibilities or who is described as being "way over the top" because I do not know what was going on in their life when they behaved in that way.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity