Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How was it before the internet?

How was it before the internet?

I am in my 40s, and have always enjoyed feminine things, with no shame or regrets, but only recently got into doing the full crossdressing thing. Maybe I would have started sooner if I knew how common it is. There are so many people afraid to come out that I can't help think that it was incredibly difficult before the internet. Surely, many people went through life wondering why they like crossdressing, never meeting or even knowing of other CDers.

The internet is such an awesome networking tool for minority groups. I look forward to newer generations of crossdressers growing up feeling good about themselves, and the generally public, especially parents, realizing that it is not all that weird. It makes me feel good to see all of the people here openly sharing, many with web sites dedicated to crossdressing.

I didn't crossdress as a child, but liked to playe with girl dolls and nail polish. My parents were very open, so I never felt bad about it, but often wondered how many people out there were like me. It would be great to hear comments from some of the older crossdressers how the internet changed your life for the better.

Juno

Misses Member, Not Junior CallMeMeg's Avatar
    The biggest difference is, I know I'm not the only one. When I was a child I thought I was the absolute only boy who wanted to dress as or be a girl. It's a very lonely feeling.

I bet others had the same experience. And now there's
    a transgender camp for kids!

For me two things came more or less together: One was digital photography, the other was the Internet.
    Up till then I had managed only to acquire a couple of short skirts and some pantyhose. I photographed my lower half in these and had to have the photos developed by sending them away to a developing & printing service.

Before the internet; purchasing of wigs, breast forms, fitting femm clothes and shoes was impossible, as these items in my sizes are not available in the shops.
    The advent of digital photography and the ability to download pics. onto a computer utterly changed everything in that department, too.

I'm 66, and I have to say I grew up in the wilderness. I started dressing as best I remember, around 6 or 7 years old. From then until I was in my early twenty's before I ever heard the word transvestite, and then when I did, I tried to look it up in a old dictionary I had. Websters didn't have that word. I was able to find trans- to cross over and I found vest-an article of clothing. From there I put it together myself, and found I was not alone in this world. then I started going to adult bookstores, the only place you could find anything on the subject.
    It was a very lonely place out here.
    Tina B.

There was was a time before the internet? Shut up! you're kidding right?
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

I'm glad people here are openly sharing, many with web sites dedicated to crossdressing. Growing up and gaining knowledge as to the whereabouts of material dedicated to this was difficult. I feel better knowing there are a million other guys out there just like me.

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    I'm thankful I can be me online. I love this virtual world of mine.
    I would have really lost it if not for the internet.

I started back in the 60's and knew it was a "different" behavior. I knew it was forbidden and never mentioned it, and, thought I was the only one in the world who was into such a thing since it was so strange! This site is pretty amazing and over the years I came to learn that there's lots and lots of our type out here.

Also, back in the mid 60's, ladies fashions were still echoing the 50's styles! I spent countless hours perusing all the main catalogs of the day, Wards, Sears, Pennies etc... and went mad wishing I could just sit down and order what I wanted, all that great vintage lingerie, the petticoats, the dresses, the "real" nylon stockings. It was all there in the stores and catalogs back then but how could a 10 year old kid ever go into a ladies store for clothes or dare order from a catalog? It didn't happen. It's too bad all those great fashions are gone now. With the internet and online shopping for everything under the sun it's easy to shop now--just nothing to buy.

Banned Read only
    Lonely....very lonely. Glad to find there are others.

yes there was life before the internet

I agree with Deborah.It was lonely.I always thought I must be the only one cding which caused lots of self doubt etc.I'm so pleased to be a member of this group and meeting so many others that support this complicated thing we all are experiencing.Thank you all for being my friends. Tommie

The term "Dark Ages" comes to mind! As been said, it was a very lonely confusing time.
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Lonely....very lonely. Glad to find there are others.
    That was my first thought, Deborah. I think I would be a lot further along in being who I am if I has known how many other people are out there, and also what I have learned, especially here.

Before the WWW, I felt alone, and like a freak. I was afraid to go out.
    I do still feel a sence of lonliness from a regional standpoint. THre just are to many people here in redneck county willing to step up.

I agree with most of the other "oldies" here. I also started young, thought I was the only one,except when you saw folks in drag like Flip Wilson on TV.

Another benefit of the internet, IMHO, is the ability to find and buy women's stuff online. More comfortable for us "wimps" to get some nice clothes/ shoes that fit etc. Thank you Al Gore - hah ha.

To be able to shop on ebay. Its now so easy to get all the girly things without dying of embarrassment at the counter.

SUZY

How was it before the internet?

for me with out the internet I always thought I was all alone, and something was wrong with me , now I know there are many like me and I understand it a lot better and can acept who I am,

While I knew I wasn't the only CD in the world, I had no way to contact any others to discuss things like shoes, clothes, and stuff like that. So I'd say it was lonely in that respect.

Christine

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Rocky Horror was around by my mid teens, and even though it would be a few years before I was old enough to watch it, it was part of the cultural ambiance.

Not that I have ever identified as a "transvestite" like Frank'N'Furter, but it at least showed that there were other people around, no matter how odd.

Looking to help others. christiek's Avatar

Really long post got deleted! Heres the short version!

I was typing for like 30 min str8 and all of a sudden it decided to re-log me in deleting everything. More or less . . . The internet saved me in every way it seems. I wouldnt be who I am now without it. I cant even Imagine what it was like without it. Im glad you all are here now tho! -Christie!

Before the internet there was dial-up and BBS sites. I would say the dividing line was maybe computers instead of the internet, but before then all I had was a book or two at the local library to read about it and my own thoughts...very tough not having any support and thinking I was alone. For a while the internet was like free candy, but once you get over the novelty it has been a great resource and place to go for self-help support.
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by christiek View Post
    I was typing for like 30 min str8 and all of a sudden it decided to re-log me in deleting everything. More or less . . . The internet saved me in every way it seems. I wouldnt be who I am now without it. I cant even Imagine what it was like without it. Im glad you all are here now tho! -Christie!
    Next time you sign in remember to check the box marked..remember me.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Back when rocks were still soft

Before the internet I looked in the library and found nothing. I looked in the magazines that were available and found nothing. When I finally heard stories of Transvestites they were described as being either deviant or targets for groups of young men to beat up in dark corners of the park. Christine Jorgensen was the only semi acceptable example of someone who crossed gender lines and she did it by being transexual. And the only men wearing women's clothing and not being criticized were Television comics and they were laughed at.

As a flegeling crossdresser I had no fashion role models other than women, and no resources that weren't meant primarily for women, not that that's bad, just not exactly what this boy needed. And I knew of no safe way to find someone like myself. As the others have said, not only was it a very lonely time, but we lived in an information vacuum as well. I found what I thought was the best solution for some of my problems, but they were far from what I can call on now.

Now I have a community that isn't limited to the internet, but was founded on that resource. Now I have tools and techniques in my bag of tricks that were developed to help me build my confidence as a crossdresser. Now I have a life that is more in balance and not bathed in guilt, misperceptions and outright lies.

Yeah, I'd say things are a little better now.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I think this a lovely thread to learn what it was like

but to also see that progress is being made...

The first time I came out was as a lesbian....it was stil a dirtyword and it was someone would know someone who could point you in the direction of the community (no internet then, so I can certainly relate to that aloneness.

Kelly you silly girl, there was a time when I did my homework for highschool (sixth grade) by candle light because they hadn't perfected lamps yet. LOL

The internet did give a look into the world we did not realize and in a sense empowered as well as comforted those with a knowledge we are not alone. For me it was the way to self diagnose and then connect with others here to help me find my way to my path of transition. And to that thank you all, including a sweet young sister Kelly. :-)

Teri

soulmate of Mrs.M...GG Victoria Anne's Avatar
    I was born in 1960 and started to dress to some dgree or another at about 3-4 years old . I could not understand why I wanted to be a girl or play other girls and dolls , I grew up thinking I was a freak and then learning I was not alone , there are others like me ! I felt better somehow and now with this site and a few other support systems ... well here I am on this road called transition !

On the road of discovery ... learning to be the woman I have always been.

Http://photobucket.com/viccy