Thread: When did man first crossdress?

When did man first crossdress?

Today we have silk, satin, lace, stockings, and beautiful flowing gowns. I often wonder if crossdressing was present back in biblical and medieval times?
    I know that there were people who crossdressed for show, but what about behind closed doors? Were there really crossdressers back then?
    Many of us feel as though we are born crossdressers. Others say it was learned or picked up by accident at a young age. For those of us who believe we were born crossdressers then one would have to say that crossdressing existed from the very beginning of man right? When I think about BC times I always picture both men and women wearing plain cloth robes. How or why would you crossdress back then?
    Pretty interesting to think about…

Gold Member
    It did not exist before this forum.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Silver Member
    There are accounts of crossdressing back to the beginnings of recorded history, though the ones I can think of usually involved religious rituals or male-male prostitution (the context of the verse in Deuteronomy has to do with forbidden pagan rituals including those where men dressed as women to perform them.)

I don't know when the first documentation of what we would know today as (heterosexual) transvestism occurred, anyone know more?

Depending on where you look and in which culture you look the crossdressing has been around since the very begining. The Egyptians had crossdressers known as "non-males" and in the Torah the first earth creature was a man/woman, half and half.
    We've been around longer then the so called straights. Other cultures tell of the half and half earth being as the first to arrive.

HUGS Sandra

Banned Read only
    Day 2, I think...

Probably when the first cavewoman showed up wearing a saber tooth tiger skinned bra and panties
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Don't get clever old man! Now take us to dress barn!

Your Right Lacie why would men want to crossdress back even 1000 years or more ago, in today's world woman and men have everything available to us anykind of colthing from cotton to silk and everything in between, but think back even only 150 years ago how did men crossdress like we do today they didn't have places like walmart or target to walk into and buy whatever they wanted to wear. I think crossdressing has been around for thousands of years but every different and new genration of people did what all we feel we naturallywhich is to feel more comfurable in woman's colthing, The colthing might have changed but "Crossdressing" didn't

Smile

i can not say when it started, or who was the first...but most every religion on this planet says something about it.
    most every culture has had a element that cross dressed, some denied it some put them up on high.
    some killed for it..some killed it.

life would be very boring if we were all the same.
    my mom likes animal prints. i would not be caught dead in them.

such is life, live it to the fullest.

My world history professor used to say "if they made a law against something then it must have been a problem"
    If the bible says you can't do it than CDing has been going on for a long time

In some cultures Cross dressing has always been accepted, Native Americans had no problems with it.

in the 1700's the royal Governor of New York was a CDer

Wanna be a girl. Ibuki_Warpetal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Dunn View Post
    We've been around longer then the so called straights.
    That's a hell of a claim.

Cross "dressing" has no doubt been around as long as clothing has been separated into male and female categories.
    Who can say how long that's been the case.

Cross "acting" or role-reversal may have existed prior to and sufficed for what we consider today as gender-bending among unisex or non-clothed groups.
    The last name is Warpetal.
    That should have been your first clue.
    No regrets.
    WHEN YOU FIGHT YOU CAN LOSE
    BUT WHEN YOU GIVE UP YOU'VE ALREADY LOST.

In all reality though, crossdressing is an expression of ones feminine psyche. Crossdressing is a small part of a large gender disassociation. If we look into historical evidence (if there is such) diversity of sexes has probably been as long as sexes have. So in other words gender dysphoria or disassociation has been here forever. In conclusion then the very pivotal point which makes crossdressing come about has been with us since the beginning of time, or if you will Adam, and I am sure Eve wanted him to seek therapy but there were no therapists yet

And then god said let there be therapists, divorce lawyers, and Oh yeeh, mothers in law!

Wanna be a girl. Ibuki_Warpetal's Avatar
    Gender dysphoria has only been around as long as gender identity, so in humans, yes probably "forever".
    The last name is Warpetal.
    That should have been your first clue.
    No regrets.
    WHEN YOU FIGHT YOU CAN LOSE
    BUT WHEN YOU GIVE UP YOU'VE ALREADY LOST.

It started when Adam wore Eve's 3 fig leaves while she was in the river bathing.

He almost got caught too.

I spend a lot of time in the closet, because that's where my clothes are.

When did man first cross-dress ?

As soon as his parents were out of the house for five minutes and the laundry door was unlocked.

I agree with the 'since there's been clothes, there's been cross-dressers' line of thinking. Cavemen who discovered they preferred the fur on the outside to look good, rather than on the inside to keep warm

The Moche civilization was a predominant culture located on the northern coast of Peru, around the time of Christ, just prior to the entrance of the Inca civilization taking over. They are noted for their anthropomorphic pottery, (giving human characteristics to animals, inanimate objects, and natural phenomena). Since the Moche had no written language, most of the knowledge of the Moche comes from these ceramics, (small clay human figurines which depicted a host of deviant and bizarre sexual practices. They were into ceremonial human sacrifice, necrophilia, and early forms of “transgender” activity (males raised with specific role of female appearance for sexual use by important males and priests. Hetero and same-sex anal intercourse (birth control strategy) was common, as were many other sexual kinks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are quite a few Accounts of many of The Roman Emperor's engaging in Transgendered Behaviors. Many of the more notorious one's like Caligula, and Nero were labeled as "dressing like women" in numerous histories.

So, it's likely it might have been widespread in Ancient Rome. Hmmm, while they were conquering The Known Civilized World, apparently they were also Crossdressing in it!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Crossdressing began BEFORE there were people!

There are crossdressing/impostor animals.

There are beetle species, for example, where the smaller males will often "mimic" or take on the characteristics of the females.

Male beetles of these species protect their mates from other male beetles, but, since they perceive these smaller males as "female," they let them enter their nest, where these guys mate with "the big guy's" female while he's outside on patrol to keep other males away.

Yep! It's true!

There is a similar thing among the species of fish known as Bluegill/bream/brim (Lepomis macrochirus).

According to Studyworld.com, "Male
    bluegills come in two types: the standard male and the
    satellite male, which looks just like a female bluegill.

"In preparation for mating, the standard male bluegill
    performs the job of building the nest, where he bides his
    time until a female enters it to spawn. Satellite fish
    don't build nests, choosing instead to hover around the
    nest of a standard male until the moment when a pregnant
    female enters. The satellite fish follows her into the
    nest, deceiving the nestbuilder into believing that he is
    now in the presence of two females. The three fish swim
    around together, and when the female drops her eggs, both
    males release a cloud of sperm. Some of the eggs are
    fertilized by the resident male, some by the satellite
    male, thus passing on different sets of male
    genes to a new generation of bluegills."

There are lots of other examples of animal "crossdressing" out in the great wide, wonderful world, so, believe it or not, crossdressing came about before there were people!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie_393 View Post
    Your Right Lacie why would men want to crossdress back even 1000 years?
    Probably money, which is a massive motivation to some people.

Whilst watching the telly the other day, there was a program that was on about Sea life, and it mention (crossdressing fish) not really crossdressing, but apparently (and I think it was a species of Wrass or Bass) but 30% of the male population look like and act like females.

the males build the nest, the females visit lays the eggs, and then the imposter females pops in and fertilise the eggs already in the nest, the male allows him to do this, cause he looks female.

No silks, frills, satins or lace, just genitics Natalie, ie he looks like a female and gets away with it, and that probably just how it started in humans too. ie males that looked more like girls than men, could use it for pleasure, personal gain, or in some cases, both!!!

Also whilst searching for more info I found this as well

SCIENTISTS have found the first example of a male that wins a mate by CROSS-DRESSING.

Male giant Australian cuttlefish outnumber females by four to one ? so the girls are picky.

To compete, wimpy fellas hide their fourth arms ? a male characteristic ? and change colour to copy the females’ mottled skin.

Then they trick their way past the female’s partner and often succeed in mating with her.

The only trouble is that other dominant males sometimes get frisky with THEM.

US scientists in Massachusetts said: “We found female mimickers could successfully deceive the consort male.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz0w9Wz89ln
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

Wow! Love the comments ladies. It never ceases to amaze me how intelligent you crossdressers are…Every time I enter this forum I leave having learned something useful and great. Keep em’ coming!

Well Lacie, prior to CDing it was called morphing. The ability to change from one to the other or shapeshifting. We've forgotten how for the most part though due to many religiuous influences throughout the ages. Even so we do a pretty good job nowadays working with what we have.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Gold Member
    We'll only know when archeologists actually start digging up closets.

I have a history Degre form Texa A&M, so I'll leave this in a purely academic context...

There are accounts of crossdressing and homosexuality(not mutually exclusive on inclusive) that date from nearly every society that left records of art or writing on such topics.

The ancient Sumarians, Greeks, Romans, Persian(pre and post Islam), and Asian empires ALL had them. In some societies, such as the greeks, it was socially acceptable. In some it was punishable by excruciating deaths.

In more modern times(medieval through Renn.) You see alot of "asexual" clothing, no more than 250years ago, the HEIGHT of male fashion in Europe was pnatyhose and tall heels. Medieval stage was nothing BUT crossdressers.

For a much closer, twentieth century example.....Did you know Rasputin was murdered by a member of the royal family famous for being a crossdresser.