Thread: Are you a rebel?

Complex Lolita...

Are you a rebel?

[SIZE="2"]Recently I’ve been reading Homosexuality in History by British author Colin Spencer, a book that inevitably includes a few insights into crossdressing, since the two are invariably linked (for reasons of convenience) by outsiders. I came across the following passages regarding those who rebel against society, either as a group or individually, going against the societal structures put in place and maintained by those in authority…

“Given that political structures dictate the sexual form, every new orthodoxy that is accepted acquires its heresy, each defining the nature of the other. Being a real rebel, that is striving to create a viable alternative, takes time and hard work. Being a sexual rebel, refusing to accept the sexual orthodoxy of one’s time, is one of the most powerful and significant of all rebellious acts; to opt for the pursuit of non-procreative sex is a form of blasphemy, for it strikes at the heart of society’s belief in its own immortality. A hatred of the hypocrisy and ideals of one’s age could well lead individuals to make a statement of this kind, a statement which can generate at a very young age.
    Another form of political rebellion is to don the clothes of the opposite gender. Women do not now have this political weapon as they once did, for women in suits (or male clothing in general) cause no outrage but society still finds it offensive to see men in frocks. A man wearing a frock is somehow threatening and has to be dismissed with laughter or vituperation. Transvestites always talk in very personal terms about their desire; they feel somehow wrong dressed as a man, but in a frock they tell the interviewer, they feel relaxed and at home.”

OK. Do you feel like a rebel when you’re prancing around your bedroom, all dolled up, studying your reflection in the omnipresent mirror? Do you feel like you’re making some poignant expression, dismissive of all the discriminatory ills that society has dumped on you over the years? Do you feel your panties are a weapon of subversion? Personally, I’m beginning to think there’s something to it, but I didn’t really seriously consider the issue until now. I dress to feel good, in my own little world, cut off from society at large, for my own personal pleasure. But, I’m not allowed to do this OUT THERE for fear of upsetting the apple cart of family values and gender expectations. I am a rebel – I don’t subscribe to the precepts I’m supposed to follow, and I have no desire to conform, especially at this late date…

Many of my fellow sisters (how’s that for an oxymoronic phrase?) will probably disagree, but I’m beginning to feel like I’m surrounded by rebels, all expressing his or her own quasi-rebellious proclivities, seeking out others for support. By and large, we have the ability to choose those around us, and I love my fellow rebels. Let’s dance around the maypole of gender freedom together in our finest outfits and show the unenlightened what fun they’re missing. I am a crossdresser, I am a rebel, and I am different from others. This alone is worth celebrating, wouldn’t you say?

Maybe some individuals are uncomfortable with their desire to crossdress because they are inherently non-rebellious. I mean, if you’re otherwise “normal” (definition, please), for the sake of your family’s well-being and protection, where does the desire to crossdress fit in? Where is it leading you – away from where you’re SUPPOSED to be, supporting a pillar of society? Keep in mind I’m largely on the outside looking in, and I always have been, so I’m unencumbered by societal pressures. Do you feel like you’re locked into a cubicle of your own making, somehow expressing a desire to break free by engaging in crossdressing? The ongoing struggle to be rebellious against all you’ve been told is “correct” must be incredibly exhausting. I think the effort itself is a noble enterprise, difficult to achieve, explain, or wish away – a taste of the forbidden, perhaps, but I see it all as a beautiful foregone conclusion, or the inevitable outcome of living in a constrictive world…

Here in the 21st century it still isn’t acceptable for a man to wear a dress, so he is engaging in a form of rebelliousness (akin to anarchy) in his desire to do so. Nothing has changed. The gender indoctrination given to children, from the moment they are born, and reinforced at every turn, creates an atmosphere of repression that may lead to rebellion, open or otherwise, depending on whether or not the child accepts his or her lot in life. On and on it goes, and I must say I don’t see the climate of sympathetic understanding improving anytime soon. By nature I oppose any control over my own life, but why would I feel otherwise? Be true to yourself. By the way, if you look up the word “rebellion,” you’ll find that “contumacy” is a synonym, and a synonym for contumacy is “perverseness,” which brings us right back to where this all began, i.e. the largely conservative interpretation of human rights given by people in authority. Someone else is deciding what’s right for society as a whole, guarding “us” against any perceived threats. It’s getting worse (more divisive) all the time, creating no forward progress, so rebellion is inevitable…

Since I do not wish to tread on other’s invisible human rights (especially in regards to personal expression), and my little rebellion is not as “open” as those of my more activist friends, I’m not as rebellious as I could be. But, I insist my crossdressing is in complete defiance of any efforts of control put in place by those in positions of power. It’s a conscious decision AGAINST the norm. Therefore, I am a valid rebel. Long live aversion!

How about it – are you a rebel?[/SIZE]

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    When I realized I was a cross-dresser, I immediately thought in terms of going out in public; I had had quite enough of being called (inaccurate) names, and figured something like, "Now I'll really give them a reason to call me names" or perhaps "At least now there will be an actual reason why people call me names". Enough of the put-downs, I'm taking control.

Well, it turned out that A) I really enjoyed cross-dressing; and B) almost no-one calls me names; and C) people treat me better as a CD or open TG than they do as a "male".

And then too, my tale of rebellion doesn't touch upon how it had been building up in me, emotions and actions without a name or purpose... e.g., if I was "just trying on my wife's clothes to get a better idea of how things go together so I'll know better how what to buy her", then why did I do it so often, why did I need to do the "just trying on" ?

Yes, dressing can be rebellion. Yes, I "gender-bend" a lot of the time, challenging gender boundaries even at work and even more so out of work -- but when, for example, I walked out of the house on Tuesday morning wearing a denim dress, I wasn't thinking about "Hah! I hope I shock this upcoming couple out of their socio gender complacency!!": I was thinking that (a) I love how a dress feels on me; and (b) that Darn, these nylons are the pair that keep falling down all the time as I walk, and how can I adjust them without being too obvious?

Maybe there is some rebellion in what I do, but Powers Above help me, I feel better in a skirt or dress -- just for me, the Revolution be darned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"] Let’s dance around the maypole of gender freedom together in our finest outfits and show the unenlightened what fun they’re missing.[/SIZE]
    :

[SIZE="4"]Viva la Revolution!!![/SIZE]

Now who has a Maypole handy?

I think CDing is not a rebelliousness act but it is simply an inner needs. I crossdress bc I feel great when I do so. I think the rebellliousness is showing in public; so since I am a closet CD I do not feel rebel enough. No matter what are the excuses I have, at some point I know I do not have the courage to finally rebel myself and go out like Marian yet. But I always think the better is yet to come. So, I still can be more rebel!!!

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I may be a "Rebel!" I don't really care what people call me, because I don't pay much attention to that. I am a CD and that is all! I dress because I like to, not because I have to or for any other reason. If that makes me a "Rebel," then so be it. I could care less! As one of my old teachers used to say, "people who use names or labels to belittle others do so because thay are not smart enough to use better language!"

I am "me," and nothing else! If you are my friend, you may call me Stephanie!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I would think so! We are going against the accepted norm, and we had to fight for the rights that everyone else enjoys. And, we are turning the tides of the battle, slowly! Is Ru Paul our George Washington?
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

I don't think rebel would be the correct term especially if all you are doing is prancing around the bedroom dressed. I think you would have to be out in public and going against the fashion trends to create your own. Then maybe you are a rebel
    Michelle

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAMichelle View Post
    I don't think rebel would be the correct term especially if all you are doing is prancing around the bedroom dressed. I think you would have to be out in public and going against the fashion trends to create your own. Then maybe you are a rebel
    Yeah, I think as a public act crossdressing is overtly rebelling against entrenched societal norms. Hanging round my back yard in a bikini ...not so much.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I've always loved songs like, "I fought the Law and the Law Won" and Mellencamp's "Authority Song." Why? Because I do like to flaunt my differences in public.

Growing up, I was an outcast. I was too girly to be a boy, too boyish to be a girl, too studious to be a slacker, too wimpy to be a jock, too preppy to be a punker, etc. After years of being picked on, beaten up (even by other girls!), and generally disparaged, a question my mother asked me made me wonder, "Why do you care what others think?" I was kind of taken aback, and really, really thought about it. I finally came to the realization that there are just a few people in the world - family, friends, and the like - whose opinion I would actually seek and care about. The rest of the world? Psh! I couldn't care less about their opinion.

To my wife, this makes me an exhibitionist. To me, I say that unless I'm harming anyone (and to date, no one has recoiled from the sight of me seriously enough to cause permanent damage ), then it honestly doesn't matter.

I love who and what I am - all of it. I accept who and what I am - all of me. If that makes me a rebel, then so be it!

Kathi

soulmate of Mrs.M...GG Victoria Anne's Avatar
    I must agree with Michelle , I do not believe "rebel" is the correct term but I must say your argument is a well thought out cogent statement . Personally I am just me trying to get through this life as happily as I can and hopefully em-parting some wisdom along the way.

On the road of discovery ... learning to be the woman I have always been.

Http://photobucket.com/viccy

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Absolutely! Not only against some societal norms, but against some of our own rhetoric and norms within our community.

As a teen, when I first started crossdressing, I also was listening to shortwave radio and programming from Radio Moscow and Radio Havana Cuba. While I didn't adopt (and won't) adopt the dictatorial hegemony of those regimes, I did see the value of uniting in a struggle toward a common goal. Even then I recall writing in a journal that my struggle was a revolutionary struggle.

I had started writing a bit of a rant here, which I have erased. What I wrote though about me, and my struggle is that I refuse to be like everyone else, and I also refuse to be like every other crossdresser. I will be myself.

My motto (with apologies to Karl Marx):
    Трансвеститов всех стран, соединяйтесь!
    (Transvestites of the world unite!)

Quote Originally Posted by vikki2020 View Post
    Is Ru Paul our George Washington?
    Oh God I hope not!! --- RuPaul is the last image I want as a role model in this revolution. Rather that it were the likes of Brandon Teena and Wendy Carlos.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

I dress to feel pretty Tina P Hose's Avatar
    HMMM. I have always thought that I was a rebel. As a child in the 1960's when my older brother and I would play Civil War I always had to be the rebel,I guess that gave him a reason to beat me up. I have been out spoken against what I see as wrong most of my life. I grew my hair long as many other guys did in the 1970's. But of all my longer haired friends I was more than likely the only cross dresser. My dad hated the longer hair look, but he put up with it. Still to this day, I tend to side against the main stream. Be it political or just day to day stuff.
    If cross dressing is being a rebel, then I am a 50 year old man
    who loves to rebel as a cross dresser. All be it I only do this at home. Mellencamps, AUTHORITY song was great, but I grew up, listening to Dylan. Now my hair is short, I do what my boss wants me to do at work. I get home and dress most days. I suppose I could have had a wife and maybe kids by now. But I could not follow that flow. Perhaps being a rebel, was just a since of being unsure and insecure of myself. I love my pets, my ex girlfriend, I am happy to have a job and a house...so what the heck do I have to rebel against ?

Johnny Yuma was a rebel, do you think he liked skirts ?
    From Madrid to Montreal that underneath it all that Tina prefers pantyhose

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Whilst I have always been a Menshevist (what most people wrongly call bolshie), I don't see my need to express my gender in that light.

My need to be true to who I am despite my birth defect is no kind of rebellion or statement of individualism, it is simply born of a visceral need to acknowledge my true self.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Are gender non-conformists rebels if they keep it private? Was Winston Smith a rebel even though he tried to hide his thought crimes from Big Brother?

Are CDs who try to "pass" or "blend" rebels or conformists? Perhaps they are rebels in the sense that they are wearing the "wrong" clothes for their assigned sex, but conformists in the sense that they completely buy into the cultural dress code for the "other" sex.

Since our culture assigns a dress code according to ones genitalia, any deliberate deviation, whether public or private, is, in fact, an act of rebellion. The difference between public and private rebellion is that in public rebellion you embrace the consequences of your actions but in private rebellion you attempt to avoid them. In my case, it's probably more accurate to call me a gender rebel than a crossdresser since very few GGs, or crossdressers for that matter, dress in the frilly frocks I enjoy.

Nowadays I keep my rebellion private, but it wasn't always that way. People tend to forget that rebellion against The Dress Code has been going on for a long time. In the sixties, I was expelled from school for refusing to cut my hair. I got in trouble again for piercing my ear. Girls at the time were fighting for the right to wear pants and short skirts. Some styles for males in those days were rather feminine and I pushed the envelope as much as I could. But, someone forgot to tell the rednecks in my area that I wasn't technically crossdressing because in their mind I was. I got plenty of looks and stares from the people I passed. I had beer bottles, threats and epithets thrown at me from passing cars. People sometimes tried to run me over. I've been physically assaulted and had guns pointed at me. I was even arrested once for loitering in a public park in the daytime for no other reason than how I was dressed. They let me go after getting a picture, fingerprints and subjecting me to homophobic insults.

I tell ya, being a sissy ain't for sissies!

Eventually, I took my act underground where I remain. I did my tour of duty and I'm a veteran now. I decided I'm no longer trying to actively change the world but that still doesn't mean I have to conform to it. Besides, what you people do on your own planet is your own business. I'm really just a visitor here.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Yes, Freddie, I DO!

I feel like a regular, "Jane Dean"!

( And, "with a cause"!)
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Dressing for pleasure, that would be me, ...in my own little word, yes, me,
    cut off from society..uhm..yes mostly,..for my own personal pleasure..absolutely!! We do not like to be controlled..rebel...rebellious...
    you are always fascinatingly cerebral

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Sorta, kinda, maybe, probably.

As a teen in the mid-60's I wasn't a rebel, but I identified with them. I was too caught up in making sure my grades weren't too bad and I still did enough around the house to not get grounded. Just prior to moving out, I began to outwardly support the rebellion. All things were mixed at that moment. All personal, private, family, economic, political and gender issues were in the same pot and it was difficult to sort any of it out. Once I had the chance to prioritize my feelings, gender was down the list just a little and rebellion there wasn't happening. So I was a rebel for other causes, at least until I got a job and got married. Oh oh. I didn't conform totally and tried to teach the kids to understand my beliefs, but I needed to be sure I could survive.

Now, for the second time in my life I'm letting my hair grow out and I'm beginning to identify with another rebellion, this time a gender based set of issues. Every action seems to reflect in that fun-house mirror of modern gender expression and I'm not sure how to best address what I see. Where I used to argue with my parents, now I pay deference to my wife's parents. I never imagined that I'd be a parent and now I have grandchildren to consider as I decide how to handle this growing desire to find equality and eventual respect for transvestites. It's much harder to do now that I have aquired so much. . . baggage? responsibility? age? Whatever. Am I a rebel? I think so, even when I'm only dressing at home, I resent being confined by what seem to me to be arbitrary boundaries.

Rebellion doesn't have to all be a serious discussion of the dialetic or involve the tossing of Molotov Perfume cocktails through windows. We can be subversive, we can be Yippies, we can sit at the side of the demonstration and quietly applaud as the more adventurous carry the signs! Wear a pink tie to work! Support ordinances that protect the T in GLBT! Correct those who make broad and incorrect statements about Crossdressers! Sign the petition that keeps RuPaul in the local cable mix! Quietly donate to the local Pride Center! Write a letter to the editor when you see a story that diminishes a person not only because they did something illegal, but because they crossdress! Find out what resources exist in your community for Crossdressers, just for yourself.

As Walt Kelly's Pogo once almost said, "We have met the rebels and they is US!"
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Rebellion is an at of choice and for most, if not all, of us cross dressing is a need. Therefor, rebel is probably not the right word. I suspect that some of us could be better characterized has rebels who also cross dress.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake
    Growing up, I was an outcast. I was too girly to be a boy, too boyish to be a girl, too studious to be a slacker, too wimpy to be a jock, too preppy to be a punker, etc. After years of being picked on, beaten up (even by other girls!), and generally disparaged, a question my mother asked me made me wonder, "Why do you care what others think?”
    [SIZE="2"]Exactly. My mother prodded me along towards normalcy, but didn’t really believe I would ever dwell in the realm of complacency – she never said as much, but I could read her mind. My sister is the one who inspired me with her youthful defiance to authority. She could not be told to do anything, especially by her parents, preferring to keep her mind open, distrusting even the slightest notion of following the advice of adults. I used to hear her mantra of “I WON’T!” each and every day while I was growing up, and it burned a love of “being different” into my mind. We still live together, like two peas in a pod, our minds on the same outsider wavelength. I’m actually more non-conformist than she is, much to her bemused consternation! Neither of us care what others think (except each other, of course), and we’re happy in our mutual defiance…

“Too girly to be a boy.” Hooray! – brilliant, Kathi! [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Lynn
    What I wrote though about me, and my struggle is that I refuse to be like everyone else, and I also refuse to be like every other crossdresser. I will be myself.
    [SIZE="2"]Yes, that’s interesting. It’s a challenge to be unlike the other crossdressers, and this sparks some heated discussion here and there – I go completely against the norm (if there is one) in that department, and I assure you, Toni, that you and I are completely dissimilar…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarh Charles
    Am I a rebel? I think so, even when I'm only dressing at home, I resent being confined by what seem to me to be arbitrary boundaries.
    We can be subversive, we can be Yippies, we can sit at the side of the demonstration and quietly applaud as the more adventurous carry the signs!
    [SIZE="2"]The older I get the more I notice the fences (boundaries) that have been placed around me. I’ve learned to play with other’s expectations for reasons of amusement – just knowing who I am, and knowing the person I’m talking to is obviously not tuned-in to alternative anything, is kinda funny. In my case, this is a very quiet rebellion, highly camouflaged, behind a smoke screen, hiding in plain sight from others. I would be right there with you, Sarah, sitting at the side of the demonstration, engaged in observation/daydreaming, no doubt wondering if my skirt was getting dirty. Oh, and I would certainly applaud the more adventurous ones, from my position behind the lines…[/SIZE]

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"].... and I assure you, Toni, that you and I are completely dissimilar…[/SIZE]
    Ya know -- that is why whenever I see a post from you, I know that I must read it because it will be something good!

I must quote Major Frank Burns of M*A*S*H on this ... to wit .. Individuality is a good thing ... as long as we all do it together.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    "Excuse me, I'm not different; I'm just the same as everybody else!"

(They just don't know it yet )

A sensitive, feminine CDer as yourself certainly expresses herself as a woman. Your picture is feminine and moving... we are quiet rebels, and others are more out there and quite un-quiet... perhaps making space for the quiet ones to come along safely at a later time...
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

I certainly was a more political an social rebel as a male... as if the unexpressed but oppressed feminine soul of me couldn't come out, but sided with the oppressed... when it turns that I needed to look inward and tend to my feminine soul and liberate Her...
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

I would say iconoclast would be a better term, at least for me. I have never taken the common path; I think I've always been that way. If something isn't logical, I'm not going to do it, no matter who says so. I have my own set of principals and morals derived from much study and thought, and stick to them. I will obey society's rules only when I cannot succesfully oppose or circumvent them, as for the most part they are based on kneejerk reactions to perceived threats to it, rather than logic.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Silver Member
    I'm a Rebel in Satin and Leather(take a look at My pics)---being dressed and made up, particularly in public, makes Me feel strong and in control
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]