Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One small step for man, one giant ... meh

Aspiring Member

Exclamation One small step for man, one giant ... meh

I ride a motorcycle to work and keep minimal keys on that keyring so I can't get in my car when I got home. I keep some stuff from the grocery store, such as extra diet cokes, in the trunk of my car. When I got home from work today, I noticed I was down to my last Coke Zero. So, I used that as an excuse for Mikaela to go out the front door tonight, even if only for a minute.

I can't believe how much time I prepped tonight for a minute. I'm still shaking!

I know I took a candlelit bubble bath. My legs are epilated, but I hit them with that thing before the bath. I painted my nails, too. In the bath, I relaxed, shaved stuff, including my arms. Once I was out, I shaved face, and put on the makeup. Normally I can get it together in a few minutes, but tonight I took my time and surprised myself. Crap, I just realized I didn't wear the glasses as added diguise.

I put on my dress and heels (and not the glasses! Grr!!!), took 50 photos with the camera and grabbed my keys!

The apartment complex is 2 stories with open courtyard, over a garage. I'm in the back corner of the 2nd story. I peeked out and worked my way down the stairs. Someone was on the far side, but said nothing, after all, it was 11:30pm. I was going to go out the side door to ground level and then sneak through a side door down to the garage, but the gate key hole was jammed! Damn! So I walked out on the public sidewalk, down the steps, through the front door and then through to the garage.

I got my cokes from the trunk, walked out the side door that I had planned on coming through and back up and out. Then back in and up to my apartment.

Through the door! Whew! It's over.

It's not much for many of you, but it was for me. Thought I'd share it and here's a picture!
    <3

Time for a Coke Zero.

Edited: Added pic of me in glasses. Now you buggers can't recognize me! Muahhahaahah
    Last edited by Mikaela; 08-21-2010 at 02:21 AM.
    —Mikaela

Damn, girl, but you look good! If I had a Coke® Zero here I'd raise it in a toast to your triumph! Way to go!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Monica
    hi gal .. I love you with glasses.. and u look so stunning ..keep going

Hiya Nutmeg from another Calif Girl,
    You look fab ! I remember the first time I worked up the courage to shop Lowe's department store en femme and as I looked around at all the female shoppers and realized that I was one of them ..... my heart sang with excitement. In that event I was so fired up that I ended up going to Ross, TJ Maxx, and Target stores all in one day .... I was on a roll and I know you will be too when you're ready. Meantime looking forward to seeing more of your pics and hearing about your great adventures as your confidence grows! Hugs, Catina

Aspiring Member
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. I noticed on the larger view of the pics I took for the glasses (they are just clear lenses, no Rx) that there is a bit of shrubbery in my hair from when I fiddled with the side security fence and couldn't get in. Heh.
    —Mikaela

Wow you look so pretty in those pictures, good for you on your courage, I think it would be the only time of day I would dare to venture from back garden to front or car!
    Gillian.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    That took a lot of courage, well done! I like the preparations too - if a gurl's going to go out, she might as well look her best.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post

Through the door! Whew! It's over.

E
    well done girl . but what the heck where you worrying about and the above comment i can understand but is not justifyed as you look just great so i doubt anyone would say anything anyway if at all they even noticed .

" strike while the iron is hot " as they say in english try and get out agian soon so it does not become a one off affair and soon it will all be a lot easier and you will wonder waht all the worry was about .

do love the dress too

Aspiring Member
    eff it. It's 1:45 and I'm still hyper. Changed outfits and going down to get the other 2.
    —Mikaela

Havin fun learning Ashleythenewgirl's Avatar
    Meg you look great. More inspiration to this new gurl!
    If you want to be my friend I will welcome you with open arms.
    If you want to judge me, stay away and keep your mouth shut.

Aspiring Member
    OK, back. Got the other two.
    I went out the side door again, but went straight around the sidewalk to the front door and in again. No sweat. This time I came back through the court yard and up in front of other doors. The heels I was wearing echoes more on that surface and I heard a dog barking because of it. Oh well. More Coke Zero for me.

I went out with the different frames this time. Oh, and I was feeling frisky in that picture. :*
    —Mikaela

The glasses work very well for you. Not everybody can wear them well and you certainly can.

That first step is the hardest -- take a deep breath and get redy for the next one! The glasses really work and I love that dress on you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Silver Member
    I like your story and you are right it would be a big deal for me too, so I am happy that you made it. I also like the look of your pics, so went off to the link to flickr, you have some great pics and look really good

You look great! No reason to feel shaky, you'd pass like a straight a student

Gold Member
    You look great Nutmeg...very natural. Nice pushing the boundaries...isn't it???

Boldly going where.... you know

Congratulations, Nutmeg! You did wonderfully. And, by the way, you look very good. Based on your photos, you will blend in very well. Once you can get away from your apartment complex to places where no one knows you, you will have no difficulties.

It's so exciting to see the world in this new way.

I might caution you about leaving diet soft drinks in your car during summer. Some diet drinks are adversely affected by heat and can become toxic. While I'm no chemist, I believe the ones containing Aspertame (sp?) can make you quite sick if they've been allowed to absorb heat. (It's difficult to know how hot the interior of your trunk will be during a summer afternoon.) Grandma Susan wants to be sure that you remain healthy so you can enjoy further adventures.

Thank you for sharing your excitement. It reminds us all of how wonderful that is.
    Susan

"Not sure who I am, yet. But, I'll let you know..."

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    A small baby step indeed for a newbie, but be proud of the ice breaking move. A year or two from now you will be going to the store itself Mikaela to buy your cokes, plus lipstick, mascara, pantyhose and hairspray.. oh and some tampoons. And you'll get ready in half the time, skip the bath and leg shave and throw on some casual blend-in female clothes and be out at high noon til 5 pm.
    Don't laugh the day will come and you'll look back on this as a Christopher Columbus exploer.
    Good Luck!

THe glasses are a great touch, I have always thought they are a great look on women.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Now you have a whole new world to explore.

Enjoy!!
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

I don't know what is making me smile more, hearing of your charming story about your brave steps into the outside world or seeing the pictures of a gorgeous woman who is so utterly convincing in her presentation that being out and about regularly should be an absolute priority. That is if it's the right thing to do in your heart...I'm guessing it might be ...congrats!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Looks like somebody had a fun night! Kudos to you. You look great.
    Life's too short to not do the things that make you happy.

Congrats Nutmeg, you look wonderful in all of your outfits. Your outings were exciting but they won't be enough in the future, you will demand more and more (from your drab self) as you walk this journey.

Hugs,
    Alice

The avvy pic isn't me
    You look very, very passible IMO, Nutmeg, but i understand the need to take it slow. Trying to force past your comfort level could lead to being so nervous that you bring attention to yourself. But i too see no reason that you can't make it "out there".
    Congrats on making these initial steps, the world awaits you, and thanx as well for inspiring me.
    mj (Cassie)

Great First Steps

Nutmeg,
    You look really great and a spicy. I think you are wise to take it slow and be sure you are really expressing who you are. Here's to many more eciting yet safe adventures.
    Hugs,
    Connie