Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite girlie magazine?

Havin fun learning Ashleythenewgirl's Avatar

What's your favorite girlie magazine?

No not those! I mean Vogue, Glamour and stuff like that. Being a trained researcher, I look for information like fashion, make up and things like that. So today I bought a copy of Glamour. Is it just me or are some of those styles a bit unrealistic? Like one of their "picks" is a handbag for $1,395! Yeah whateva.
    So what magazines do you recommend? I want to learn about this in a realistic way and not some silly stuff like those handbags.
    Thanks!!
    Hugs
    Ashley
    If you want to be my friend I will welcome you with open arms.
    If you want to judge me, stay away and keep your mouth shut.

I subscribed a couple of month ago to American Cheerleader Magazine to receive it at home!

I also like reading Surfeuse which is a French surfing girl magazine.

I bought recently magazines about fashion : BQMagazine because it has gifts... the first ones had a mani/pedicure set and the 2nd one a little pink hair straightener in it!!

My favorite is Latina Magazine

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar

Oh, Besides Playboy, You Mean!

Gotta admit, I'm addicted to Cosmo...'tho I just subscribed to Glamour on a can't pass it up deal...

Think I'll check with Ross for a purse, though...I'm a smart shopper! On a budget, y'know...

Thanks gurls! This helps. Latina sounds like fun.....
    I almost bought Cosmo today what was I thinking?

I enjoy Glamour, Elle and Esquire

Now that's interesting. That's one side of the feminine me that I have never thought about - must check some mags out.

Elle is a little over the top

I was reading Elle yesterday - fall fashion issue - lots of fun. I agree that some of the clothes are out there but it gives me lots of good ideas and you can find versions of Gucci in Marshalls. I just love the style!
    Hugs,
    Connie

Silver Member
    Vogue
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I subscribe to Cosmopolitan.....Very enjoyable and informative!

Aspiring Member

"Oprah" "Womans World" (but not Cosmo)

My favorite womens mag is "Oprah" I think it's full of interesting stories told from a womans viewpoint

My second favorite is a grocery store rag called "Womans World" I buy it for the recipes.

I subscribed to "Cosmo" for years, but decided the older I got the the more it "Creeped" me out

I also enjoy looking as the 20 or more womens clothing catalogs we get every day since making a purchase from "Woman Within" to whom I say "Congratulations!!!.....You not only help cross-dressers nationwide, you're responsible for the destruction of acres of trees"

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleythenewgirl View Post
    So today I bought a copy of Glamour. Is it just me or are some of those styles a bit unrealistic? Like one of their "picks" is a handbag for $1,395! Yeah whateva.
    The whole idea is it's the magazines' job to push the stuff as "what you need to be fashionable"
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Aspiring Member PrettyFlowingGown's Avatar
    I love bridal gown magazines. I have hundreds of them, and i cut ut my fave wedding gown photos and put them into frames.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I love my gorgous flowing evening and ball gowns. I love swishing in them, and feeling how beautiful and shimmering they are. I love to feel like a princess. I love to be elegant, feminine and ladylike.

I'm in my second 'teen'hood.
    +1 on American Cheerleader.
    I also subscribe to Seventeen, Cosmo and Glamour. That also gets me free issues of all the catalogs that they send to teenagers too. It's also nice to read the young adult books marketed to teen girls as well. Buy one on amazon and they will suggest all sorts more, and the used ones are often as cheap as 99 cents. Great reading to learn the way girls think. My current favorite is Jennifer Echols. The original? Judy Blume. She wrote half dozen books that many other authors of young adult books quote as having a lot of influence on them. I think one was called "Everything I needed to know about being a girl I learned from Judy Blume". http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Nee...2397652&sr=8-1
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

REAL SIMPLE and ALL YOU are my favorites; I have subscriptions. I browse in some of the others when I go to the store and stand at the magazine racks, but I think that REAL SIMPLE has wonderful suggestions for real living, including lots that's affordable.
    warmly, Linnea

Glamour is the main magazine I get into... there are others that catch my eye in the rack sometimes but Glamour is perfered.

cosmo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Elle & Cosmopolitan. I also make scapbooks of those photos that turn me on. I enjoy leafing through these.
    The pleasure of admiring really well photographed girls and grrls doesn't diminish.

Linux Format of course...what...reading good articles about interesting open source software and other Linux-y topics isn't girly? The Linuxchix (http://linuxchix.org/) might have something to say about that. :-p

Ohhhh, you mean fashiony and makeupy magazines, in that case... I subscribe to Allure (and just re-subscribed for another 2 years at 11.97 for the two), regulary read Marie Claire, sometimes pick up a Lucky, read a Glamour now and then and always pick up the September issue of Vogue.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Glamor, and don't knock those purses, rip out that picture take it with you and look for knock offs, same goes with the clothes, it's great to see what the top end is doing, then see how well you can put things together to get the look, with out spending the money.
    Morning TV, does it all the time.
    Tina B.

Wow thanks everyone for all the responses. This really helps. Now I have some shopping to do.
    I hadn't thought about it in years...but I read Judy Blume books when I was a kid. That brings back some memories. She's a good author.
    There was some good info in the Glamour Sept issue I got, especially about Parissa ( think it was that) wax. Good idea about using it to find knock offs.
    Hugs!
    Ashley

Road & Track

Not a magazine but Boston Proper clothing catalog, ladies are stunning and make up is phenomenal, not to mention clothes and shoes kind of my style!

Aspiring Member
    I enjoy reading Woman's Health

VP of Common Sense
    Fashion blogs.

1. They're free
    2. Most are updated every few days, daily if you're lucky
    3. Most fashion bloggers are people with realistic budgets, very few will be showing you their $3000 Chanel
    4. No matter what style you're a fan of, there's someone out there that shares your taste and takes pictures of herself to prove it
    5. Many of them share info about accessories, makeup tips, etc. in addition to clothes they happen to like

Weardrobe and Chictopia are good places to start just to get an idea of what's out there, from there you can narrow your choices down. Use Google Reader and presto, your days will be filled with magical fashion.