Thread: Which department?

Which department?

If skirts and dresses were made available for men in every retail store, would you buy them from the men's side or the women's?

A skirt has no gender, as you always put both legs into one hole.

If you would buy from the men's department, then why?

Likewise from the women's department?

Let's assume that similar materials and styles were used.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

If it were exactly the same garment in EVERY way and detail, I don't suppose it would matter.
    My wife tried buying me satin boxers and even silk PJ's once, thinking that this was some sort of compromise. The thing is, I like womens clothes BECAUSE they are womens clothes and NOT just for the fabrics used. So, if the garments are identical in every way, then sure - why not? If it is some sort of masculine version of the same skirt, then forget it - deals off.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    I'm thinking that if this were to happen, there would possibly cease to be a mens/womens department. There'd still be separate underwear, etc, but if they're going to have the same stuff, as in "unisex" garments, I think they'd merge departments.

But logically, if skirts were sold for men, I think what we'd find would be skirts with for example Minnesota Vikings logos, etc. In other words, the skirts in each department would be styled to attract buyers of that sex.

If that were the case, you'd find me in the women's department. I dress like a woman to appear as a woman, most times ... and I just find women's clothing "prettier" anyways :-)

I would still be in the women's side becasue I don't wear skirts much. I usually wear blue jeans and they are already available on the male side but I still prefer the female side. Plus the tops are so much better on the women's side that I hate shopping for anything on the male side of the store.
    Michelle

In theory it would make no difference but in practise they would have to be cut differently as there is a difference between hip, waste, bust measurements on female and male garments but i am sure most things could be altered without to much effort and in some case`s could actually improve on the fitting if you are like me with a bigger top than bottom as i tried on one of those smock type of tops today which did not fit right as i had to have a bigger size to take into account of my chest size but have no hips to fill it out at the bottom so maybe if the same top was styled for a male it would look better on me and i would have bought it as long as they did not take the frilly bit off the bottom , but i might change my mind tomorrow and buy it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Women's side.

I would be found on the womens side. I tend to wear jeans, and such. I don't care for the fabrics that are used for the male jeans, nor the fit. It feels like I am wearing a potato sack!
    A prisoner in a kings disguise - Styx

What I don't understand is "Dress Barn, for Women". I have never seen a 'Dress Barn, for men'

If they looked identical I would try them both on and find out which fit better.

Womens side, because I'm a cross dresser, if I bought them on the mens side I would not know what to call myself!
    Tina B.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee_E View Post
    If they looked identical I would try them both on and find out which fit better.
    Here Here! Also is the cost identical as well? If they look and fit the same then cheaper would win.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Gold Member
    I would think that the skirts would be cut a little different in the Men's dept from the Womans dept.
    Just as Jeans are cut a little different in the waste etc.
    I would guess I would still favor the Womans side of the isle. Rader

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    If skirts and dresses were made available for men in every retail store, would you buy them from the men's side or the women's?
    I would still buy from the section that reflects my true gender rather than my anatomical gender.

As oversimplifications go, it's sort of true, but when you look at the skirts made for men - they look like that drab and not at all stylishly cut. I have heard the argument that the cut makes no difference in skirts, but if this is true then why do two skirts of the same size from the same brand fit me differently (one is loose and needs a belt, the other isn't and I accesorize with a belt)?

I would buy from the women's department because I am a woman.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Silver Member
    I'm sure that I would buy on the women's side. I have had situations where the item is sold on both sides and I purchased on the women's, t-shirts, sweatshirts ... I and I'm sure most CDs have a female identity with clothes. I have watched women go into a store and buy the sweatshirt that fit the best, male or female, yet the non CD male would never consider buying a woman's sweatshirt.

Hi Emma!

Great question! I didn't have to think long to come up with my answer.....Women's side! There is no other choice for me. I'm a woman inside and for me that's where I belong, completely and happily.

[SIZE="4"]I think I would also shop on the woman's side...why? Because along with the skirts that's where the bras and panties would be!!!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

womans, no question... i dont do kilts, and that is exactially what it would be maarketed as to men..

Platinum Member
    Orchid + Crossdressing = Womens Dept.!!!

it would be the womens side for me also. men's skirts? makes no sense. but if it was rome some 2000+ years back.

[SIZE="4"]Deffinatly the womans side for me [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"] Mandy xx[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Dont knock it, till youve tried it[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Qualified & Insured Waxing Therapist[/SIZE]

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma England
    [SIZE="2"]Despite what you said, I imagine the men’s skirts would have no shape, wouldn’t swing provocatively (or otherwise), they would be made from heavy-duty fabric, no doubt Scotch-guarded for protection, and the colors would be muted and dull. Why go THERE, when you can get all sorts of beautiful, more delicate things on the other side of the fence or store? Here’s another thing, based on what I see these days – most men have little or no waist, in the form of definition, or hips for that matter, so belts would be mandatory simply to hold the skirt up. Once again, you’re getting into the trappings of male-ness (belt buckles?), and that is something I avoid with a passion. Take away the gender classification, see the skirt as a unisex garment, and be happy – if you really want to wear the aforementioned garment, you can easily adjust yourself to fit, and skip the “men’s” label entirely… [/SIZE]

I never wear a belt with any of my skirts.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

I reckon the dresses would have to be different, to fit most men. Larger shoulders, longer torso. Bigger arms.

Skirts wouldn't matter.

So, if looking for a dress I'd shop in the men's dress area.

If looking for a skirt, I shop in both areas so as not to miss something nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinScott View Post
    What I don't understand is "Dress Barn, for Women". I have never seen a 'Dress Barn, for men'
    Women in this instance means larger sizes.
    DonnaT

Banned Read only
    This thread is interesting.

I have a cd friend my age (early 20's) and I've known he was cd for about 5 years.
    I took him out dressed a few times and we

WHOA - I just realized where all my favorite undies went when I was younger!
    OMG I'm stupid!

...anyway ... lol... before he got out of his clothes he asked if he could wear MY underwear ( I hate the word panties, gosh )
    I thought that was gross ... and I would not even GIVE him a pair to keep....
    and I aksed him why bc he had his own genuine Antron III Sears granny briefs i got him... and he said

Because it's better when it come from the real drawer of a real girl ...

Any comments on this?

( Of course I still would not let him and though I have worn mens undies a lot
    I have about 10 pair - no shame for a girl to say that -
    I have NEVER wanted to take them from a man's drawer. lol )