Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Percentage of Male Population as CDs

The official figure is 1 - me! Everyone else is a figment of my imagination or the electronic world we call the internet.

Oh wait. I've realised I'm actually TG so that makes the official figure a big fat zero

Realistically, one way to guess at the percentage would be to look at the number of photos posted by crossdressers on Flickr and the total number of photos posted by everyone... Even though we do take and post a LOT of photos, the total amount is probably pretty small compared to the total population. The same kind of estimating could be done using Yahoo Groups, Facebook, or MySpace.

Robyn
    Last edited by az_azeel; 09-07-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: removed the part that discusses woman wearing pants ..we dont need to get into that debate.. az

What ever figure you come up with, it is just statistica, more statstics and even more lies.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I think we usually ask this question as we begin to understand we are not alone, but fear that we are not all that common either. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just a number. What is important is there are enough crossdressers out there in the world to create sites like this, scores of blogs and web pages, a entire specialized sectors of the economy and lots of misconceptions and misunderstandings. Regardless of what the percentage may be, 1%, 10%, 100%, we have a community that is open and supportive. We also have something about us that we can share and much we can learn from others. One of these days there will be a study that puts a number on it, but that number will be insignificant in comparison to the impact crossdressing has on our lives and the lives of those who we love and love us in return.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

50% of statistics are incorrect.

Hi hon. Why should that bother me? Or you come to that.

Nobody will ever know except that its a darn sight more than we think.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

a statistic is a fact, but when it says something different than what you believe in, then it is just a statistic.

you can tailor any poll numbers just in how the question is asked, and were it is asked.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I just started some searches about guys wearing women's jeans. OMG it is everywhere...check this out:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Men-who-wear-womans-levi-Jeans

So now we have another problem with the statistics: Guys are buying women's jeans, wives are buying women's jeans for their husbands, etc etc... Clearly, the UK study that showed 60% of men had worn women's clothes is getting more and more skewed all the time. As an aside, after reading that reference, I'm pretty sure that none of us have anything to worry about by wearing femme jeans! We have now become mainstream, ladies!!!

Lastly, I do think it would be pretty difficult to generate a survey that would cover everything carefully enough to get a reliable number of transgendered men and women. There are just too many concerns. But, going back to the jeans issue, the last number I saw was that it was estimated by the manufacturers that over 10% of women's jeans are worn by men. At least that would likely put a top end on the number.

tina

Ask the Chinese, they are the ones that make 99% of the size 10w + high heels shipped to America. Either they have already figured it out, or just believe that American women have gigantic clodhoppers.

There are undoubtedly many men who have tried on articles of women's clothing during their lifetimes, but I should think that members here would be more interested in knowing how many crossdress on a regular basis.

The best estimates of transsexual and crossdresser prevalence I have seen were developed by Lynn Conway using statistics from reliable sources and applying a formula that she developed to test for accuracy.

Here are the results. Her calculations are somewhat involved and you need to scroll down to the middle of the page for her estimates of CDers. But here are her results. The first number is a conservative estimate based on current findings and the second number is her estimate of the likely prevalence. Note that percentages reduce to less than 1% beginning with the second category.

Part time intense CDers: 1:50 (2%) to 1:20 (5%)
    CDers with strong TG feelings: 1:200 (.5%) to 1:50 (2%)
    CDers with intense TS feelings: 1:500 (.2%) to 1:150 (.667%)
    TG transitioners (w/o SRS): 1:1,000 (.1%) to 1:200 (.5%)
    TS transitioners (w SRS): 1:2,500 (.04%) to 1:500 (.2%)

Hope you'll all find this useful!

Oh, and the rest of the article is worth reading, as well as her website. I believe that she transitioned during the 1960's.
    Last edited by ReineD; 09-08-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Reine

Complete CDing in many Asian countries is less 5% (exclude Thailand), but I have seen many young boys wear unisex clothing, girly hairdo, and a little makeups, and many times they dress identical with their GFs.
    I found out recently, people basically just give you a funny look or stay away if having fem clothes on in many Asian countries. In the Western, especailly US, some people will actually attack or verbal offence the CDer, even a normal guy with a pink backpack ( I have seen it when I was in the US).
    Sad right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ukiah View Post
    Ask the Chinese, they are the ones that make 99% of the size 10w + high heels shipped to America. Either they have already figured it out, or just believe that American women have gigantic clodhoppers.
    The 10+ size not only ship to the US, but also Africa, because many women there always walk bare feet, so their feet are usually larger than usual..but if they do need the shoes on some occassion, those imported 10+ size will be the answer.
    My father used to operate a bra factory, we made size bigger than 44, many of them shipped to Africa because women only wear bras in hot weather like that.

Oh, I just want to add that Lynn Conway's likely estimate of CDers (5%) surely must include the closeted CDs. I know that everywhere I've been, in large cities and small towns, in Canada and the US, I don't see 1 in 20 GMs who CD.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Oh, I just want to add that Lynn Conway's likely estimate of CDers (5%) surely must include the closeted CDs.
    You are right, Reine, as long as you consider crossdressing on a regular basis and for the sake of it.
    Most people who disagree with this figure may have other definitions in mind.
    Moreover the case of closet crossdressers is taken in account in any proper study aimed at estimating the CDers ratio in the general population.
    For instance, and among other parameters, by taking in account the evolution of the annual rate of CDers who are leaving the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by RobynP View Post
    Realistically, one way to guess at the percentage would be to look at the number of photos posted by crossdressers on Flickr and the total number of photos posted by everyone... Even though we do take and post a LOT of photos, the total amount is probably pretty small compared to the total population.
    And the percentage is even smaller, since it's likely the majority of CDs do post pics, but the majority of cis people do not ... just the folks who are into photography.
    Reine

When I bought a pair of size 9.5 mens sneakers, and 11w heels at payless, the SA commented "11w" outloud. It seemed as if she had figured out my secret. I know women that wear the same size as me, but the fact that payless stocks a very limited amount of styles and inventory in these sizes seems to confirm that store sales are sparce.

Aspiring Member

.o16%?

on ABGENDER.com there is a call for advertisers who would like advertise to an audience of 250000 registered transgendered members . Assuming a 159 million males in usa, that would be .016%. Everything else would be just guessing.-- and this may also be suspect. maybe on the next census? if they decide to ask for anything useful information-wise

Gold Member
    That would be guessing too. Your number assumes all CD males know about ABGender.com (I didn't) and went there to register.

This is one of those things that the numbers will just solidfy more as time goes on and we are accepted more. That will take the closet factor out of the equation more as a percentage of error. In the meantime, I would give more credence to "studies" as they take into account as many variables as possible although the error rate is probably still a bit high.

There are a lot of us, no doubt. My guess (hunch) is 5% to 10%, but could be more depending on who is included (is a guy who has a fetish for and occasionally puts on pantyhose for sexual excitement included? Or just complete dressers?)

There must be a lot of cd's because of all the shops (brick & mortar and online) that sell things for cd's. They don't stay in business if they don't make sales. And, not all cd's buy from them. Many (perhaps most) buy women's things in regular women's shopping outlets.

As others have said, some cd's will go to their grave with their secret, so we'll never be able to count them.

There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

Wow.. The sheer variance in all the numbers reported, and the odd way people come up with them. I don't think there's any way to get an accurate number; so many of us are in the closet that without having ESP, no one can really tell. Still, you can always ask the CD attire vendors to give you at least some idea of how vast the number of us is. Pierre Silber has been in business for a long time selling to us.

I read every piece of information on CD'ing that I could find from about 1973 until 1996; every survey up until that time estimated our numbers at around 2 to 2.5 percent of the total male population, and that's those that crossdress on a regular basis, not counting those who have tried on female clothing once or twice for whatever reason, nor those who do it strictly on a professional basis like female impersonators and actors.

The emergency room info is useless; most of us who go still have enough time to change what we have on. If you really want to use that as your baseline, well, in >20 years I've only seen two men arrive either dressed or underdressed. That would make our percentages somewhere around 0.001%, which I'm pretty sure is inaccurate.

The percentage that have posted CD pics on any website will not be representitive either.

One weird researcher decided that simply seeing how many males to females were on the mailing lists of Lane Bryant, and came up with a really high number, forgetting that lots of women still order things on their husband's credit cards, and that it would also only count the number of heavy or obese females. You can also discard the mailing lists for Victoria's Secret, lots of guys either just like to look at the pictures or buy stuff for their girlfriends.

Add to this, the sheer number of people that engage in 'wishful thinking' that there are a lot more people like themselves, and you can get very high incorrect estimates.

All the brick and mortar shops for CD'ers? Where? I'm sure they exist, but I live around NYC; I tend to walk around the village a lot, and I've never seen even one.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Wouldn't surprise me that a number under 1% would be realistic. I shop a lot in drab and no matter what store I enter I'm the only male shopping in the woman's department (other than those being dragged around by their wife or mother).

Are you really sure about that Taylor?
    There are a lot of us that get mistaken for GG's when out.

Danni

lol, right. Not counting those who pass 100%.

But, I know 40 - 50 CDs through group and GNO activities and really only 2 or 3 would pass as 100% GG in broad daylight (2 of the 3 - one pre-op and one now post-op have lived as a women 24/7 for several years).

Quote Originally Posted by busker View Post
    (...) an audience of 250000 registered transgendered members . Assuming a 159 million males in usa, that would be .016%.
    Your division is off by a factor of 10. The correct result is .16% not 0.016%.
    Anyway such an approach is useless. 250000 is not a validated figure, and neither is 159 million. For instance do you expect that a 1 year old male will register ?

The interesting point though, is not the percentage of active CD'ers but rather the percentage of males who would have the intent or desire to CD if they could (ie all societal, cultural and religious inhibitions were removed). Obviously, we can only speculate on that one but I would guess the number to be significantly higher. I buy 1-2% maximum as the ratio for regular CD'ers in the population. I'll bet there's a whole lot more men that would love to try it but are way too inhibited could never bring themselves to actually do it.