Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A contest I REALLY hope I don't win/Didn't win (Update)

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

A contest I REALLY hope I don't win/Didn't win (Update)

Don't you wish life had a "undo" button? Send a nasty note to your boss? Undo! Went a little too far last night? Undo! Enter a contest online showing a picture of you dressed, with your actual name on it? Un-fricking-do!!

Sigh. Life as a member of the terminally stupid sub-species never ceases to amaze - or amuse - me. Yesterday, my favorite women's clothing store sent an e-mail describing a contest they were having. First prize was a spa weekend and a $1,000 shopping spree. Thinking of the girly goodness of both a spa weekend and a thousand in pretty clothes basically turned my brain to mush - well, more mushy than normal, that is.

I put my collage together (Badly. I really suck at design and art and stuff. I can't even draw a stick figure. I kept asking myself while trying to design it, "What would Frédérique do? Anyway, I finished the entry, added my little essay on "What makes me feel beautiful" and hit the submit button.

Being the suspicious type, and knowing that the interweb is all linked and stuff, I cruised on over to Facebook. Golly! I noticed that the world now knew that I really loved girl's clothes from this store, and had entered a contest to get even more of them, with a link to my pretty little page. Delete! Undo! Delete! Undo! Delete! Cr**! Delete! Undo! %$*#! Undo! Delete! Undo! Delete! WhydidIdothis?! Delete! Undo!

I think I cleaned it off of Facebook before anyone else noticed that, . . . wow, I can clean up really well if I try.

So, now my concern is twofold; One, what if I win? I'm assuming that there will be the requisite publicity, and the entire world will know that I am now the proud owner of lots and lots of pretty clothes. Two, I've noticed that since I'm an oddity on their site and in this contest, that my page is getting plenty of looks. You know, that page with my picture and my guy name on it. Sigh. How do I manage to get myself into situations that even Lucy Ricardo couldn't wiggle (or cry) her way out of. I blame the brain damage.

So, below is my entry text for what makes me feel beautiful, and my awful collage. Enjoy! Oh, and use me as an example. Learn from my mistakes.

Kathi

I feel beautiful when...

I step outside the dressing room, and their jaws drop! I feel beautiful when they say, "You look just like a woman!" I feel beautiful when I look in the mirror, . . . and finally see ME looking back at me. I know I'm not exactly your normal customer at WH/BM - being a guy and all - but when I'm there, you always make me FEEL like I am. That, to me, is beautiful.

They say that clothes make the man. Believe it!

Last edited by Nigella; 10-09-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Updating original thread/changed title

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha brain farts just suck dont they...... but that said nice ensamble

Why not contact the contest owner and tell them your husbands name got on there and you don't know how to change it?...

I thought of doing a contest, but for the reasons you experienced, I have not. Mostly because I'm not out to anyone, but at the same time, it is near halloween so you could explain is was a related joke and chance to win clothes for your spouse. I think as a winner you could negotiate what name they publish.

Funny situation we get ourselves in to...
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    Funny situation we get ourselves into...
    Yep. Funny. I just may die laughing.

Denying it to those I know would be hard as my picture is on the page in all my radiant feminine glory. Actually, I'm kinda ticked at the picture. When I imported it, it came through all squishy! (probably bad Java. Learn HTML5, guys! ) I normally look tall and lithe and willowy. It squished it and made me look like a troll!

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    How do I manage to get myself into situations that even Lucy Ricardo couldn't wiggle (or cry) her way out of.
    Kathi

kathi, you have some splainin' to do!!!

Aspiring Member
    I wish I had a quick answer for you Kathi, but since this is my worst nightmare, all I can say is handle it the best you can and please let us know what happens. At least it can serve as a warning to those of us who get to cocky about what we put on the web.

Good one Kathi ! Love it ---- What an expierience it would be --- hee hee The though of it is intoxicating ... feel good with the thoughts but I hope if you win maybe you could use it as an avenue to a new idenity,lol Debra

where did you find a picture that made you look short? I hope you win, not because it will make you like the 8th most famous person I know but because you deserve that shopping spree and spa. They have to give you points for honesty don't they? and right now their ad department is working on that new slogan "Our clothes make the man"

15 minutes of glory, that's all it will be girl, then you can go back to your old life....but it will be fun Good Luck!
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

i never enter any contest as i do not want them selling my name, address, phone number, etc to any and all out there.
    sorry to say just cleaning up a web page is only touching the surface of what may come out of this.
    hope all works out for the best.

Kathi I am in agreement with Tanyalynn, you have just awakened my worst nightmare. Did they post any notice at all that they would spread your entry around for marketing purposes? The good news is you are pretty enough to win the contest, the bad news is you are pretty enough to win the contest LOL! You have my support no matter how it turns out.
    Ellie

Kathi, I know this is a serious situation and feel for you; but I could not stop laughing at your description of your reaction once you realized what you've done. If in the unlikely event, you get grilled about this by friends or family, just keep your wonderful sense of humor but be truthful. I think humor can overcome a lot. On the other hand, you could always try claiming that it was a joke, and the "photo" was photoshopped.

good luck with the contest. I too think it would be best if someone else won. I know what happens when a letter comes to the house for "Christie" it is not a good thing.

Please let us know the outcome, as if Kathi needed an excuse to tell a story

I think in life we all make errors. Lots of them. But really the odds of you winning is small. and if that did happen. Well look at it this way. You will no longer have to worry who will know. Who might find out because with the net everyone will. There is only one thing you can do. and you already did that/ Please please dear G-D don't let me win.
    However inside there may just be a person that is saying to you. Enough already let me out.

Kathi,
    Have you tried to simply withdraw from the contest? It might be worth trying. I am assuming that this is a standard, mainstream clothing store, and that if you contact them to withdraw, they will take one look at your entry and oblige you. They may even have cringed at a crossdresser entry, but could not have legally rejected it.

Also, why have I never seen you in that blond wig? A very sassy outfit!

Liz

Kathi,

Did your undo attempts resolve anything or are all the links still up?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    They have to give you points for honesty don't they? and right now their ad department is working on that new slogan "Our clothes make the man"

15 minutes of glory, that's all it will be girl, then you can go back to your old life....but it will be fun Good Luck!
    You might get the opportunity for some positive publicity, even though you don't want any. These days, anything unusual or risk-taking on the web often ends up giving the risk-taker opportunities that are sometimes financially lucrative-but only if you really pursued it-which you don't have to do.

On the other hand, if the clothing company would be uncomfortable about a guy winning their contest, they might be very willing to remove your name, etc. if you contact the company's marketing/publicity dept. Even if they don't remove you, the odds are they are not going to give you the prize, since I would assume the vast majority of their money is made from women customers. Probably nothing to worry about in terms of this getting any larger than it already is.

Olivia

Platinum Member
    Wow.... well, I'm hoping that the people who see your picture are folks that already know about you...I mean you're not excactly hiding yourself. and that the folks who might react badly will never go there.

Or be prepared to start a new career as a reality show "celebrity".
    Last edited by kimdl93; 09-08-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: another thought

Yep. Funny. I just may die laughing.
    I normally look tall and lithe and willowy. It squished it and made me look like a troll!

Kathi
    [SIZE="4"]The photo did give you some nice hips though....

[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NV Susan View Post
    [SIZE="4"]The photo did give you some nice hips though....

[/SIZE]
    Yeah, I guess. Still, this is how the photo was supposed to look:

Damn, You really look great. A real hot babe....BJ

Kathy, I do hope things work out well for you through this "mishap". I feel for you, I really do. That is my worst nightmare as well. Yet, I am reminded of a comedian, years ago, who was introducing players for the college all-star (football) team... and one of his "characters" said... "Hedoah... I loves footbaw... you too can be playin footbaw on duh footbaw fiewd... wit... a footbaw..." This character also went on to say (and when you said "brain damage", this is what I was reminded of)..."My friends say I have dane bramage... and I don't know what the (*expletive*) that (*expletive*) is????" Perhaps instead of "dane bramage" you had a moment of clarity? *smile* Good luck girl! And regardless of how things turn out, please let us know, ok?

Yeah, I guess. Still, this is how the photo was supposed to look:
    Kathi,

Please stop posting photos of yourself like that one! It really makes the rest of us feel awful. You are seriously too damn pretty.

As to the contest, I think it is difficult for us to figure out what to do with those. If you put your drab name, well, you've already figured out that one. And if you put your femme name, could they decide that was fraudulent and refuse to award you the prize? I end up feeling locked out of contests like those.

O.K., so you caused a minor collision in your two lives. Other than a little bit of chrome and a few small paint scratches, you probably haven't done much damage. You were within the speed limit, not talking on your cell phone, and, uh, you were sober at the time, right?

Gee, a whole new concept -- CD lifestyle collision insurance!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    . . . You are seriously too damn pretty.
    Riiiiiiight! We'll go with that. It's not like I cherry-pick my pictures at all. All of my pictures are that good. Mmm hmm.

I like your CD insurance angle. Imagine a commercial with a crossdressing gecko.

Kathi

And this gurls is a text book example of how the pink fog can sneak up on you. Beware the pink fog. Sorry about your situation, I do hope it works out for the best no matter how it goes. If you do win, maybe the day at the spa and the shopping trip will help you forget all about any negatives that comes from it.
    Last edited by Jenny Gurl; 09-09-2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Gurl View Post
    And this gurls is a text book example of how the pink fog can sneak up on you. Beware the pink fog. Sorry about your situation, I do hope if works out for the best no matter how it goes. If you do win, maybe the day at the spa and the shopping trip will help you forget all about any negatives that comes from it.
    Sorry I don't think the pink fog "snuck" up on Kathi, I think it hit her like a runaway 18 wheeler going down a mountain with no brakes! One of the reasons I don't have a face book or any other kind of page. But, if you do win I hope you enjoy all of the spa treatments.

Ha-ha, life is fun. But it all may turn out for the best. Good luck Kathi
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/