Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: piercing my ears without blowing my cover

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar

piercing my ears without blowing my cover

Just wanted to know if anyone here had both ears pierced, and managed to hide it or do so in a masculine fashion? I don't have long hair, so I can't hide it that way. I work in a sort of conservative environment (construction), so I'm trying to keep low profile about my cd'ing. I'm in my 40's, so it's not like I'm "young and hip", and could easily explain why I have holes in both my ears.

I'd happily do without the piercing, but the selection of clipons is pretty attrocious.

Thanks

Jessie

I used to work in the same industry, now semi retired and looking for work. I got both ears pierced and am worrying about the same thing. I worked in management and they are even more conservative than when working in the field with the other workers. If the right job opportunity comes along, I think that I would go without the earrings to work and wear earrings at night and/or weekends, until I decided to take the plunge. Even if holes closed up, I can always get them re-pierced later when I stop working again. Work and income are more important in my opinion.

ive had both mine pierced since april 09 only one person said they noticed the holes. i did the nylon fishing line trick to keep them open while they heeled when i was at work and put the studs back in when i got home. Although you have to b careful not 2 damage the heeling when you switch. After 8 weeks they were heeled. once they are heeled they should not close up if you wear them after work ,weekends etc.

I work in a very professional environment and I got my right ear pierced 2 years ago, (had my left pierced twice back in the 90's) and no one cares. I wear studs all the time.
    "Originally Posted by Anne66"
    It's store policy: whatever you're looking for, that's what they're out of. And the chances of finding it are in inverse proportion to how much you want it.

I'm not in this situation, but I think that few will notice. However, if someone who cares does notice, you could be in for a bunch of trouble. I would suggest using clip-ons for the present, and wait for retirement. I know one girl who used clip-ons and someone at work noticed that her earlobes were sort of dented after she spent a weekend enfemme. There IS some risk with having pierced ears.

Freddy

had both ears pierced years ago no one seems to care about it.

I drive truck for a living. I had both ears pierced last November shortly after my 55th birthday.

I had some "industrial" strength hoops put in 14 gauge stainless captive ball rings. I had exactly 3 people comment at work, none negatively.

My son saw them for the first time this summer. His comment was more negative than positive. I told him simply: "It was cheaper than a Porsche".

After that, nothing else was said about it.

As for working in the construction industry, you can always say that both Mike Holmes and Jim Caruk of HGTV have their ears pierced. I doubt that you will get any flack about it, or that it will last for more than a day on the jobsite if you do.

If you are good at what you do, then your co-workers will let it be.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

most people will never say a thing, is there a company policy that says NO holes in your ears? if so then it is a wrong deal and a good lawyer will prove it to be wrong. there that is how i know the law side. as for the people just get a couple small sized real diamond studs not a problem as a lot of suits do this and have for some time.
    go for it and never look back. if someone says anything take notes time place who said what...just let it go. and if it contune's then lat your HR dept know about the harassment. it will stop then. just do not let it be a deal and there will not be a problem.

You could get one pierced at a time? If anyone comments, refer them to Harrison Ford. A couple years back he celebrated a birthday by getting an ear pierced.

Then after a while, when you know the first won't close up, get the other pierced. I doubt many people will notice the change.

Silver Member
    Guys with earrings/studs has become more of a fashion statement, expressing YOUR individuality - similar to tattoos on gals! If you feel comfortable wearing small stud earrings - then do it! It is doubtful your company will tell you to remove the jewelry - especially if you are a valued employee! If they do, ask to see the company policy in writing that states women can wear ear jewelry, but men CAN NOT, as that would be a form of discrimination!

Quote Originally Posted by jcameron View Post
    Just wanted to know if anyone here had both ears pierced, and managed to hide it or do so in a masculine fashion? I don't have long hair, so I can't hide it that way. I work in a sort of conservative environment (construction), so I'm trying to keep low profile about my cd'ing. I'm in my 40's, so it's not like I'm "young and hip", and could easily explain why I have holes in both my ears.

I'd happily do without the piercing, but the selection of clipons is pretty attrocious.

Thanks

Jessie
    I pierced my left ear 25 years ago and have always worn studs in it. About 4 months ago I pierced my right ear. At the time I took my left ear stud out in an attempt not to have people notice. No one did. I kept my left ear open (they tend to grow shut fast even if the hole was made a long time ago) and three weeks later I was tired of it and put studs in both ears. This is so accepted in male culture that no one noticed and I had to point it out to them

In today's day and age the really tough guys wear earrings.

Kathryn
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I hate to be redudant but, in this day and age no one really cares about pirced ears even in a macho, blue collar enviorment. Just wear very smal studs

If anyone does queston why you did it, just say it was you wife's or gilfriend's idea and she really likes it.
    You might say you like it also. Being very secure about your masculinity and not giving a damn what some may say about pierced ears is viewed as being very masculine in its self.

So, getting pierced ears is not blowing any sort of cover unlees you personally draw the wrong knid of attention to it by being obviously paranoid about it.

Gold Member
    Part of it may be redefing what you think masculine is. There are a lot of men that have earrings and in particular, there are a lot of "manly" men that were thicker gauge things like hoops. So if you feel straight studs would get a lukewarm reception (I don't think they will), you could think about going with something that has a slightly bigger hole. I did this. The only drawback I have seen is that I really can't wear studs as they rattle around. But it isn't what I wanted anyway. I tend to wear "dangly" earrings and large hoops and they work well in slightly larger holes.

I have had both of ear's done since 07. I retired from one job and now work in retail. No one has ever said anything negative to me and I wear studs every day. In fact I have been complemented on some of my studs, I keep them simple and don't go In for the really big ones. Every once in a while I also wear small hoop earrings as a change of pace.
    To put it simply No one seems to care if your ears are pierced or not these days. In a way it seems to be like Tatoo's, It really isn't a big deal these days. That's my 5 cents for what it's worth.

Hugs Brenda

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    "... looking for an earring lover who won't blow my cover, they're so hard to find...

... you may lose and you may win, but you'll never be this way again, so open up and put them in,
    take it easy.."

Hmmm! Since I have natural dimples on my ear lobe's and people have asked me if they are pierced, maybe I could do it.

I have both ears pierced twice. I wear diamond studs all the time and add some hoops or something dangling when I dress. I make no attempt to hide them and no one has ever said anything about it. In fact, only recently have we been given the ok to wear them at work and now I see that I am definitely not alone...about 1/3 of the guys have at least one earring and most have each ear pierced.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    "... looking for an earring lover who won't blow my cover, they're so hard to find...

... you may lose and you may win, but you'll never be this way again, so open up and put them in,
    take it easy.."
    <groan>

Why try to masculinize things that are feminine. Just say that you enjoy doing feminine things and be ok with it.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I;ve had pierced ears for years, with no problems or negative comments. In today's world it does not matter what you do. Pierced ears are accepted and common.

I think the majority of people could care less. In a professional evironment you could get small ball or diamond (like) earrings. Look at 10 guage rather than say 14 guage which is more noticable. I did 10 guage with short hair then went to 14 guage with long hair.
    SRS January 27

Mike Homes has his done... so just say you are a big fan. So does Howie Mandell.
    Chickie

Aspiring Member
    I went to work with indentations from clip ons once and received comments from one gal that asked if I had my ears pierced. Of course I didn't. She continued to hound me all day about the mark. She has been a pain in the neck always trying to irratate me. So, if I went in with either or both ears pierced I would have nothing but harrassment about looking fem (I do have long hair).

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen__Starr View Post
    Look at 10 guage rather than say 14 guage which is more noticable. I did 10 guage with short hair then went to 14 guage with long hair.
    Huh? The larger the guage number the smaller the hole. 10 guage is a large piercing, 14 guage is about the maximum that women usually get. Silver earrings are typically 18 guage, and gold might be as small as 22 guage but 20 more commonly. 16 guage would allow you brass hoops (but as brass tarnishes it tends to irritate ears.)

10 guage is approximately 1.59 times the diameter of 14 guage, and more than twice the area. You can see the difference visually at American_wire_guage

I used expanders to push my earrings to first 14 guage and then 12 because for the first while my holes were closing up fairly easily and if I used 18 guage dangles for a couple of weeks then I would have trouble going back to posts; by pushing to larger, I delayed the closing process. The third time I expanded to 12, my ears stopped closing up and I can now do 12 without triggering bleeding (but I no longer have reason to bother.)

I am a member of the clergy, I wear a pair of gold studs with my clergy black all the time. No one has ever said anything.

Put on the big girl panties and stop living the life other people expect you to live.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe