Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So whats the "Q"?

So whats the "Q"?

Yesterday I was at church with my wife. I am not out to any one other than her. During the service there was an announcement about an outreach project to the "LGBTQ" community. I didn't feel comfortable asking about the "Q". So I throw the question out to my friends here. Who are the "Q"? Thanks,

Jaydee

where's the stop button? Daenna Paz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
    Who are the "Q"? Thanks,

Jaydee

[SIZE="3"]Queer or questioning ... depends on whose definition you would choose ... ;^)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Daenna[/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Yes, some sadly add "Q" to represent "queer" in a misguided effort to include everyone.

Perhpaps you should tell them that this can be interpeted as an insult as they may not be aware of it.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    Yes, some sadly add "Q" to represent "queer"
    Perhpaps you should tell them that this can be interpeted as an insult as they may not be aware of it.
    This may insult some but give credit where credit is due, at least they are trying to reach out and include everyone.

Banned Read only
    Of course they deserve credit. That was not my point.

Gender Queer

There is a growing number of young people today that self-identify as gender queer. These people reject the binary notion of gender and the old societal norms. I think this represents a liberating step forward and a move away from the constrictions of societal imposed gender conformity.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    Yes, some sadly add "Q" to represent "queer" in a misguided effort to include everyone.

Perhapsyou should tell them that this can be interpreted as an insult as they may not be aware of it.
    "Queer" is a term which was once derogatory, but now has been transformed into a name of pride, much like "Yankee" and "black".

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Bill View Post
    "Queer" is a term which was once derogatory, but now has been transformed into a name of pride, much like "Yankee" and "black".
    Well where I was raised, we still don't think to highly of Yankees.

One of two things, depending on you bringins up. Either a feathered serpent that likes human sacrifice or an omnipotent race of entities in deep space. Seriously though, I think it means not sure.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Yes, an omnipotent race. Located at the Q Continuum. (Thank You Star Trek for the education.) Andrea
    Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to come skidding into it sideways, totally worn out, while shouting 'Holy crap. What a ride'.

I had not heard of the LGBTQ previously, it would make things simpler to qiuit the term LGBT and revert to the traditional, "Them Queers."

At some point, do we start repeating letters from the alphabet when it gets too long?

Kids these days , trying to be original with old words . Like my son-in-law who can't seem to wear his ball Cap how it was designed to wear says " THATS SICK " when he approves of something ..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    I've heard queer, but given that word means strange or is a derogative term I don't think that one is it. And then Questioning, but it is so normal to question that I really don't see the need for it either, especially since some people who are questioning will be put off by being automatically attached to the gay crowd.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    How many girls here really care about "Labels?" I don't care for most of them, just as long as I get called correctly for pay and food!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Aspiring Member
    Q==queer. Queer is a slang term for (counterfeit) money. So by extension, perhaps we are all just counterfeit members of society.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    The "Q" where I come from, and everything I know about it, means: "questioning".
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

And there I was, thinking that it meant "the Quick" ( as in "not dead")!
    :-)

Seems to be a case of bad handwriting ( i.e. *g" being misread as "q").
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

That church is reaching out to others why not just say thank you. So few are really trying to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by busker View Post
    Q==queer. Queer is a slang term for (counterfeit) money. So by extension, perhaps we are all just counterfeit members of society.
    Never heard that used as slang for money. Q stands for questioning. & There ARE kids who use the term gender-queer. Queer for decades was a derogative slang word for homosexual. I can recall how strange it was seeing the word QUEER in big letters on billboards all of a sudden ( advertising tv show Queer As Folk ), having grown up with it as a negative thing.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I've seen some organizations that have used the Q for "Queer", some use it for "Questioning" and some for both (although I think then you should have "Q-squared"!). If you think LGBTQ is too many letters, how about LGBTQIA which is popping up in place, where "I" stands for "Intersex" and "A" for "Allies."

And for those who think "Queer" is derogatory, have you ever heard of "Queer Studies?" It is a program offered at many universities that studies both sexual orientation and gender identity. Thus "Queer" is used as an umbrella term to avoid the alphabet soup problem. Yes, it would be wrong to call somebody "a queer," but there is nothing wrong with someone self-identifying as "queer."

I propose a new acronym EVRY1. Does that cover everyone? On alternate nights maybe they can do a group called EVRY1Ls
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Queer! Did your wife step on your foot when he said that?

Banned Read only
    A final thought from me.......
    Just because some still use an insulting term, dosen't make it right.
    It's a fact that some (many?) still feel "queer" is derogatory.

There are many archaic terms that some still use but, our society, as a whole, has chosen not to use them any more because they are insulting to many.
    We all know what they are and perhaps "queer/Q" should be added to the list.