Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to go in public as a man in a skirt --- advice?

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by annecwesley View Post
    Yeah, the shoes have to go with the skirt. And it's getting a little cool for sandles.
    Anne, if you look at GG's that are out and about you will see that they wear all different kind of shoes. I usually wear low heel shoes and some times even running shoes. It depends on what kind of skirt I am wearing as a guy. If I am wearing a dress as a guy I almost always will wear some low heels. At my age I don't wear high heels, since I don't want to fall! I do some real nice enclosed sandals which I do wear here in Georgia. Of course, we don't usually get real cold winters! The main thing is, dress for yourself not other people! Except for maybe your wife or SO!! I probably spend more time out dressed enfemme, but looking exactly like the guy that I am, than almost anybody else on this forum.As I said in my earlier post, I have been doing it for over 5 years now! And I am out, enfemme, at least part of almost every day!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greene View Post
    I have gone out in a shirt and skirt... always remember YOU Belong in this world
    Thanks Kelly. I plan to dress pretty conservatively. I have a pair of Mary Janes or flats that go well with my preferred skirts, and easy to walk in. I prefer conservative dress, and I figured myself that somehow conservative dress will be less conspicuous.

I'm looking forward to reporting on my new adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaS View Post
    Why bother? Your not representing as a man or a woman, but someone in between. If you can't commit to crossdressing all the way, don't half-ass it

Someone in between is what I feel I am, both masculine and feminine. Often, when I'm presenting as either a woman or a man, I feel that I am "half-assing it". Just because you are at one of the spectrum or the other, please don't judge us by your binary standard.

A couple weeks ago my wife & I spent a few days on our boat, and I spent the entire time in either women's shorts and top or a bathing suit, and breast forms. I did not wear any makeup to cover my beard shadow, nor did I have a wig to cover my shoulder length but thinning and receiding hair. I went grocery shopping, into resturaunts, and spent an afternoon on a public beach. I talked to several people in the marina, including a park ranger. I had no problems, but I felt in balance.

Pick your favorite skirt along with the shoes, hose and other accessories, be ready for looks and questions and go about your business like you belong there.

Why bother? Your not representing as a man or a woman, but someone in between. If you can't commit to crossdressing all the way, don't half-ass it
    You win, you got me. I didn't actually plug the bass into the amp for the picture. Now let me whole-ass it for you: STOP DRINKING THE PASSING IS THE ONLY WAY KOOL-AID! Did it occur to you that you not everyone has to be a woman to like a skirt?

Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    You might try reading another Current Thread entitled: "Be smart and safe out there." There are huge pitfalls often involved with Partial Dressing.

I didn't say you were doing something stupid, but it's always wise to present well, and not to tempt fate. I have spent a lot of time around Police Officers. They are NEVER amused by someone they think is "pushing their buttons." You do what you want to do, just don't be surprised if there are consequences.

Peace and Love, Joanie
    I'm not going to call you a narrow minded BusyGrannyTranny but in the not even remotely humble opinion of this kid it's time to switch to a new flavor of Kool-Aid. Surely with your longevity based wisdom you can see the difference between wearing a skirt during a day time drive and playing musical restrooms in a park after dark that is closed. A wig, falsies and all the makeup in the world would not have kept that individual out of trouble.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subwrx View Post
    Some years ago I bought a Utilikilt. In the summer I wear it everywhere in guy mode its great I have recived nothing but complements.
    I am going to be going on vacation to be with family for the next 10 days and I will be wearing a kilt every day as I will not be able to CD. I own 5 already, working toward the sixth, and love wearing them when i guy mode. I try specifically not to mixed modes if you will, so apart from undies, it'll be with a guy's shirt and socks.

Never had a bad experience with anyone making shirty comments

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Lynn View Post
    I am going to be going on vacation to be with family for the next 10 days and I will be wearing a kilt every day as I will not be able to CD. I own 5 already, working toward the sixth, and love wearing them when i guy mode. I try specifically not to mixed modes if you will, so apart from undies, it'll be with a guy's shirt and socks.

Never had a bad experience with anyone making shirty comments

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    I've thought about wearing a kilt - for special occasions (Scottish Game events) but I have felt that my shaved legs would look conspicuous.

I frequently wear skirts in public. I typically wear a knee length skirt, pantyhose, and flats or clogs. On top I usually wear a simple shirt. In cool weather, I switch to tights, wear a longer skirt, and add a matching silk scarf. In hot weather I wear a shorter skirt and sandals. No make-up, forms, nor wig; this is my preferred style of dress. I have gone to restaurants, the supermarket, flown, etc... With friends and alone. I have gotten many compliments from women, and sometimes men tell me they wish they had the courage to do the same. I have received a few stares, and more glances. However, overwhelmingly, there is no response at all.

There are caveats here. I feel safer doing this in cities than in small towns. In small towns I have received more stares. I also would not walk alone into a 7-11 at midnight dressed like this. If I am going to be driving in non-urban areas I throw a pair of jeans in the car.

I believe that it would only take a small number of men doing this before it would be considered normal.

As for the one or two rude comments made in this thread, that is extremely rare for this forum. This whole site is based on the premise that society's definitions are inappropriately restrictive.

Best wishes in your exploration.

If you insist on keeping your beard, just put a name tag on reading: "Ringling Brother's Staff" and I promise you no one will say a word to you or think anything about whatever you are wearing!

Otherwise, go for it. Just stay safe & be aware of your surroundings and people around you.

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

I have worn a skirt in public a few times the problem I have is I have no place to carry anything and I don't like jean skirts

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    ok...what I'm going to suggest you may thing of as a cop out....

If your skirt is a tartan...people will give you a second look...but that's all !

tina

Ok, I don't post on this forum very often anymore but I checked it today and saw this thread and thought it was worth adding into. Anne, I go out as a man in a skirt on a frequent basis, several times a week in fact. I run the spectrum from guy in a kilt to actually wearing women's tops with skirts and tights and boots, and variations inbetween.

The most important thing you need to wear if you do this, is confidence. The first couple of times I went out in public in a skirt, I was scared of what I was doing, so I looked nervous, and intimidated, and because I put off an aura of "I'm doing something wrong" people noticed it and treated me accordingly. The experience was so nervewracking that it took me well over a year to do it again. When I did it again, I really took a good long look at myself in the mirror and said "I really look good like this," and then went out and have never looked back. I keep my head up high, I make eye contact with people, I smile, and I make sure to behave like I belong anywhere I go, and I have not had a single problem yet. Yes, people notice, they might give me an odd look, but then they move on. Occasionally people will make a comment, and I've heard teenagers snicker behind my back, but that's what teenagers do. I've passed loads of cops while walking and haven't been beaten up or even verbally harassed by them at all.

The comment someone else made about really taking a good look at yourself in the mirror is spot-on. The big pitfall of the man in skirt look, when one start to incorporate things like pantyhose and heels especially, is making the clothes work on a male body. I typically don't wear women's tops and dresses because they're usually cut to eccentuate breasts, so for a long time I really had an issue with having this look that seemed half and half, as in top half male bottom half female. The best solution to this is making sure your men's tops are as fitted as possible, a lot of guy clothes are a little too baggy, which doesn't work well with most skirts. But I have had real success with some vintage band t-shirts and skirts with opaque tights. Shoe wise I tend to go with boots instead of heels, I feel like even girlier boots still add a little bit of male-ish weight to the bottom of the look. I've not really had any success with wearing other types of heels in male mode, though I've seen some guys who have.

Also, as a sidenote, I wear kilts with shaved legs all the time and there's never been any issue with that. The kilt or a kilt-like skirt is a good starter-skirt to wear if you're just dipping your toe into the "man in skirt" pond, because it's very masculine and people tend to react to it extremely positively. It's a good way to boost the confidence that you can do more.

Without seeing a picture of you or the proposed outfits I can't really suggest more, so just the generic, but just know that even though I have been doing this pretty frequently for a while now, I still really think long and hard about every outfit combination and really ask myself, does this outfit work well together as a whole? If the answer is yes, I can wear it fearlessly, and do.

For the record, there is nothing "half assed" about how I dress. I work darn hard to look my best and I ask to please be treated with the same respect as any other member of this forum would get, thank you.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

a couple of weeks ago i went to a petral station with my sister i had no make up or wig on but i was wearing a black arm less top {best i can describe it] fishnet stockings mini skirt and high heels.it was the first time ive been out got a few ppl pointing but i just ignored it and accted as i would dressed in male clothes.Just go for it

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by annecwesley
    I know I'll draw some stares and glances, but I want to do this, and I feel that I can do it with some confidence and simply enjoy the feel of my favorite style of clothing for the day.
    [SIZE="2"]Why not? You’re responsible for your own happiness. [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by LeannL
    The second was in Dallas and he was wearing a utilikilt. So if you have a skirt that could sort-of-be a kilt, that would be more believable and may make you more comfortable.
    [SIZE="2"]Seeing a "utilikilt" does not mean crossdressing is in progress. It’s a man’s garment, worn by men for reasons of comfort. Kilts are not skirts, either. They are a blatant attempt to project masculinity via “heroic” clothing from a bygone era, but it's actual use is complex. It’s much more fun, and more in keeping with the theme of this forum, to wear a women’s kilt, minus the belt buckles, sporran, and sword pin, and project effeminacy. BTW, I love kilts.[/SIZE]

Yes and no

meaning I'm not up to that level. I have worn one in tha house and out to the drive thru at mc'ds but thats all, but I sent my mom a picture and my cuz asked her if that was a woman in the pic so I think I'm on tha right track. LOL.

Aspiring Member
    Hello

Jiveturkeyonrye has it sussed. I have been out in a skirt lots of times as man, woman, and everything in between. Obviously there are certain areas to be avoided, but I would avoid thse however I was dressed. It seems you get more adverse comments about being a man in a skirt onthis Forum than you would in public. How ironic.

I have a kilt (I am Scottish). It makes you feel more masculine, not less. And it is not remotely like wearing a woman's skirt. Just look in the mirror before you go out - anything too frilly or lurid will attract comments so just keep it neutral to begin with. Start with a long skirt and a woman's T (perhaps long sleeved) in a plain style, dark semi-opaque or opaque tights and ballet flats. Carrying your money and keys - get a skirt with pockets, or wear a cross-body bag. This means you can be the male in a skirt equivalent of a woman in trousers. You are dressed like a woman but not as one.

I have had more compliments about how I look in skirts (or dresses) than in male clothes. Once you have done it and realise how little reaction you get you will kick yourself for not doing it earlier. The sky stays right where it has always been.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Where is it written that this site only caters to people who are "crossdressing all the way" ?

As I understand it, this site is for all cross-dressers, their friends and families and not just those of whom any individual chooses to approve.

If Anne has an agreement with her spouse that she will not lose the face fungus, why do you want to deny her the right to dress?

If she is comfortable being "a man in a skirt and pantyhose" or even if she is doing this in order to become comfortable like that, then we should do what we can to support her both with words of encouragement and with words of caution. It is Anne's life, we of all people should be able to understand that.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]It's bad enough trying to pass when fully dressed and made up. At least most folks aren't sure so they just don't say anything. I won't even get dressed for around the house unless I can get fully dressed and made up. Of course, this has been a rather gradual progression. The thought of going out partially dressed just never crossed my mind. I'm glad it didn't![/SIZE]

Just wear a kilt and talk about the pipes, sporans, skindous and hagus! Sorry if I have murdered the spelling of these Scottish traditions!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    The best solution to this is making sure your men's tops are as fitted as possible, a lot of guy clothes are a little too baggy, which doesn't work well with most skirts. But I have had real success with some vintage band t-shirts and skirts with opaque tights.
    Totally agree.
    Mel

Star out with a kilt-like appearance. If it feels good, you can progress to more feminine skirts. Many of us are fairly androgynous, so an gender-intermediate attire makes a lot of sense. However, most people have had trouble "fitting in", so going all male or all female feels better. Others have given up fitting in, and are comfortable wearing whatever they like.

My opinion is that it would look good as long as the style is not too feminine. I wouldn't mix a girly skirt (e.g. with lace and ruffles) and a beard. The important thing is to do whatever is good for yourself. There is no right or wrong. It is just clothes.

Banned Read only
    The last thing I want to be is the dreaded "man in a skirt", aaaaaagggghhhh!
    I'm from Scotland and nobody bats an eyelid, (except in admiration) at a guy in a kilt.
    A lot of men nowadays wear plain kilts instead of tartan usually with boots.
    GG's love men in kilts!
    Now as to what you wear, ( or don't wear) underneath.
    Well that's another story!

Why shouldn't she bother.. just because it doesn't seem to suit you...well hello she has the right to dress as she pleases.

I think you're reply is rude
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Thanks all for the advice. I'm not too concerened about my top, as it's getting cold and I can wear a jacket. Jackets seem to be naturally more angrogenous, so it's almost more of a matter of finding a skirt that will match the jacket.

I haven't had time yet to take any photos of the outfits I'm considering. If I have time I'll post and ask for opinions.

If I wear an above the knee denim skirt with a man's shirt and sandals (men's or women's on up to 2.75 inch wedge) people in general do not pay much attention to me. I can even go to an auto parts store in that attire and nobody notices me. On the other hand, If I showed up at the parts store wearing a coat and tie I would be sure to get attention.

I'm inclined to wear the long, dark brown skirt. I like the grey skirt with black jacket, but the jacke has gotten a little tight since I took that photo a few years ago.