Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heels and wheels.

Heels and wheels.

Several obsevations on the matter of driving in heels.

Most females of my acquaintance keep a pair of flatties in their cars to change into when driving, because either they cannot drive too well in heels or they don't want to scuff the backs of their nice heels. Do gurls here do the same, or do you persevere with the heels?

Strangely enough, my wife has always been able to drive in heels to the point that when she is driving our RV she changes into heels for driving. I too have found that the driving position (no matter how the multi-position seat is set) is such that it is more comfortable driving in heels.

Now this may be an urban myth, but I heard from an acquaintance in Spain that the Guardia Civil there were taking an interest in drivers' footwear and issuing spot fines to people wearing backless shoes or other footwear that they considered caused the driver to not have proper control of the vehicle. So if you are driving in Spain, enclosed flatties are advisable, but we will continue to drive the RV in heels and have a pair of slip-on sneakers at hand to change into if stopped.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

I drive in heels and enjoy it! I do take care though to not scuff up the back and sometimes also go ahead and slip on some type of flats just so I can do more dancing or walking in the heels when I get where I am going! Heeheee!

Dana

Some drive in heels some don't. I bring flats with me because the back of the heels and sides can get messed up. Also I find that the heels if not worn a lot would interfer with the driving. Like anything else you need to be confortable in what you wear and relaxed behind the wheel of a car.
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

It is a well known fact in UK that driving in heels can be quite dangerous. There have been several reported accidents where GG girls have caught their heels in carpets or mats under the pedals and so they could not brake quickly enough. It probally does not apply so much in the US as the last time I was there most cars were automatic and did not have so many pedals to operate in UK most cars have three floor pedals. brake, clutch and accelerator.

I have an old Ford Ranger and I seem to have no problems with the clutch while driving in 5" heels. The seat is worn out and the heels do shift my posiston enough that I sit differently and my legs and back hurt less. In this case (at least for me) heels are a plus.

Banned Read only
    I have been wearing heels for more than 30 years now and I still put on a pair of flats while driving. As some have said the back of the heels and sides can get messed up. I just hate it when I get to a place and find my heels are scuffed and look nasty. Yes, been there, done that!
    Last edited by Jorja; 10-08-2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: cause i cain't spel this early in da mornin

Personally, I am one of the ladies who drives in her heels all of the time and has for many many years. I currently drive a BMW convertible which came with thick carpeting and thick floor mats so I do not encounter any scuffing to the back of my heels. I just take care when entering or leaving the car so I do not catch and damage my heels on the door sill. If I am going out and happen to be wearing flats, that's fine so be it, but I have never changed into flats for driving, it just doesn't make sense to me or seem necessary. Besides, I love the feeling of driving in heels...

Car makers actually take this into consideration when they design certain models. The pedals on cars that are driven/bought primarily by women often have shorter throws between the stick shift and the arm rest, smaller steering wheels, and have shorter pedals, better for use with heels. My wife's VW is absolutely designed for her, not me.
    -Sedona

It also depends on your height. I am tall, and there just is not room for high heels. Maybe that is why Nomad likes driving the RV in heels; they can actually improve the fit for short or average height people in a larger sized vehicle. you can buy various forms of heel protectors to avoid getting scuffed, and there are also some more creative solutions like this one: http://www.gizmag.com/go/7463/picture/35047/

I have some flats in the car, and always change from heels. It's not that driving in heels is any more difficult, but I have spoilt so many heels by driving in them.

I've often wonder why some ladies change to flats - I for one love the feel of driving with heels and wish I had an extra pair when I'm out in drab!! For the life of me I can not feel any reason not to wear heels driving - either with a Stick or Auto drive!! Could be I just love heels!!!

I'm OK with it. Scared at first and changed, but used to it now. No problem.
    Mary

Havin fun learning Ashleythenewgirl's Avatar
    Funny...I just drove in heels for the first time last night. I actually liked it as the heel height on my boots was perfect and I sort of rested them just right.
    If you want to be my friend I will welcome you with open arms.
    If you want to judge me, stay away and keep your mouth shut.

Driving in heels is definitely preferred over driving in flats by this girl. I do love the feel. I sometimes have trouble with the clutch as I have to use my very tippy toes to engage it because ,my heel gets in the way. Also, Sedona, you are absolutely correct in stating that cars are designed around sexes. I had a Volvo 850 estate for a while. I noticed that whenever I drove with flats by toe would slip off of the accelerator pedal. When I wore heels this wasn't an issue. I actually fabricated an aluminum extension for the pedal.

My wife drives in heels all the time. Rather than carry a pair of flats along in the car, there's a pad she keeps there that looks like it's part of the cabin rug, but soft on the top. A heel resting on that would never get scuffed, and it's very difficult for it to move unexpectedly.

I drive a manual transmission and still drive with my heels, but I did get some plush carpeted floor mats to keep them from getting scuffed.
    [SIZE="3"]
    Hugs,
    Cassie

In the great words of Popeye: "I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam,"
    [/SIZE]

Many in our world love heels. Wear them out, wear them at home, whatever. But for safety's sake, invest in some flats to drive in. It's not about how neat it feels to wear heels while driving, it's all about safety. If not for you but for the others on the road.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]Mustang with standard transmission.

Five inch heels, no problem.

Dash air conditioning vent blowing up my skirt, yahoo!
    [/SIZE]

I have never understood the "big deal" about driving in heels. I do it a lot and have never had any problems. One does have to be aware that you are wearing heels but I do not see that as a problem. The main concern is to not have the back of the heel of the shoe get dirty.
    Hugs, Carole

I find driving in heels much more difficult than flats. For safety reasons I don't try to drive in heels anymore.

Ballerina flats for me while driving. The heels go on once I get to the destination.

I don't wear heels much, but when I do then I just drive barefoot.
    Michelle

my self I love driveing in heals, drove in 5'heals today and I have stick shift,

Always have flats at the ready - heels can get "stuck" in the floormats and I do not need the grief of getting into an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by erickka View Post
    I have an old Ford Ranger and I seem to have no problems with the clutch while driving in 5" heels. The seat is worn out and the heels do shift my posiston enough that I sit differently and my legs and back hurt less. In this case (at least for me) heels are a plus.
    In any case, heels are a plus for me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Mustang with standard transmission.

Five inch heels, no problem.

Dash air conditioning vent blowing up my skirt, yahoo!
    [/SIZE]
    I do love the vent blowing up my dress...

I drive in heels often. It is just like driving in any shoes, you have to get used to the foot placement around the pedals. Once you overcome that, you're a "shoe-in"

Yuk Yuk