Thread: local acceptability

Aspiring Member

local acceptability

For American cross dressers:

Given the variation in culture and social norms from state to state and locality to locality, how acceptable is cross dressing in your local area and in your state?

What are the legal standards and what is the social attitudes?

vetobob, it really depends. There are some bad parts in the most liberal cities, like San Francisco, you probably don't want to CD in. There are also good parts of some of the most conservative states, like Oxford, Mississippi, that you can do very well in.

Generally speaking the big coastal cities are best, and the acceptability drops off away from the ocean. I can tell you that in San Diego, a city I know very well, the Hillcrest area is excellent for CDers, and other parts more inland are generally not.

But most of the answers you get will be anecdotal (like mine), so take them with a grain of salt unless someone puts up results of a scientific study.

Is there a town/location you're hoping to visit?
    -Sedona

Aspiring Member
    Not really. I'm looking for a research subject.

Well, I live in the Detroit Metro Area. Specificially, I live around Ferndale and Royal Oak, MI which are two of the biggest GLBT friendly areas in the area outside of Ann Arbor, which is where the University of Michigan is located. Typically these inner-ring suburbs (RO/Ferndale, Hazel Park, Warren, Oak Park) vary wildly in their GLBT acceptance. I have walked down the street as Molly in Royal Oak without batting an eye, in my own little neighborhood I'd be lucky to get out without some kind of harassment. Again, this is all anecdotal, and as we know "Data" is not the plural of "anecdote."

I live in Denver and I have no issue with acceptance or at the very least tolerance.
    Michelle

Pittsburgh is a pretty tolerant area. I have never had an issue out and about. Lots of enthcicity here and everyone accepts everyone else. I really think that no one cares what you wear as long as your a Steelers or a Penguins fan... Pirates... Not so much. Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by motorcitycd View Post
    Well, I live in the Detroit Metro Area. Specificially, I live around Ferndale and Royal Oak, MI which are two of the biggest GLBT friendly areas in the area outside of Ann Arbor, which is where the University of Michigan is located. Typically these inner-ring suburbs (RO/Ferndale, Hazel Park, Warren, Oak Park) vary wildly in their GLBT acceptance. I have walked down the street as Molly in Royal Oak without batting an eye, in my own little neighborhood I'd be lucky to get out without some kind of harassment. Again, this is all anecdotal, and as we know "Data" is not the plural of "anecdote."
    I'll go along with what Molly said about Detroit. Though there are areas in the Metro Detroit area that are "conservative blue collar" that you won't dare walk though. I kind of pick the areas I want to be in. And thus far have escaped any kind of harassment.

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Gold Member
    Around Indianapolis I have not had any real problems except for the occasional hillbilly who thinks it is his duty to show off what an ignomoranus he is.
    I think maybe partially cause I dress conservative and try to blend in, I don't prance around in a Britney Spears outfit.

I try to stick with at least 1/2 way decent parts of town, I mean like if the neighborhood's most upstanding, intelligent occupant is named something like Cletus, Bubba, Kooter, Billy-Bob, or Ichabod, I tend to stay away. Moron hicks tend to not like people like me - those who have an IQ over 100.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Pittsburgh is a pretty tolerant area. I have never had an issue out and about. Lots of enthcicity here and everyone accepts everyone else.
    That's because if you are from Pittsburgh, you either have the "Black Lung" or have melted steel deposits in your blood stream and everybody accepts that you and them are not quite right! (Me ---- Former Eastern Pennsylvanian and you know what we on the east side of the state think of you westward way-backs!)

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

Quote Originally Posted by vetobob9 View Post

???
    -Sedona

well I live in Austin Texas and our slogan is "KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD" and I just love it everyone is accepted
    I am a beautiful, young victorian style lady. Demure, gentle, kind and giving. I love to be feminine in lace and intricate delicate patterns flowing skirts, the kind of sexy that makes you desperate to know what I'm hiding underneath!

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Davis View Post
    well I live in Austin Texas and our slogan is "KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD" and I just love it everyone is accepted
    I agree, I've gone out in several places in the Austin area and have never had a problem.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Quote Originally Posted by vetobob9 View Post

Me too!
    I only joined this site as a favor for a ah,,er…a friend, yea that’s it …a friend! I’m just doing research for my senior thesis, er, ah…I mean my…hmmm…what’s it called??…my ah…diarrhea,,,no…my diorama..yet that’s it …my diorama.. for my “art” class… hehehee

Generally speaking…Denver is pretty tolerant…people are just too busy looking at foreclosure numbers and coyotes eating their small pets. I am invisible, so people don’t really notice me anyway…

I just posted some legal/HR resources on the “Employment” thread recently posted, which will help you answer the “legal questions” you inquired about.

HaveFun/BeHappy,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Everything goes in Hollywood.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedona View Post
    ???
    It's to take the nation's temperature. Where are we and where are we going?
    Attitudes toward crossdressing are only aspect, I will also be looking at attitudes toward religious freedom, voting, government, civil rights, etc.

In Tampa/St. Pete all Crossdressers that are captured, are beheaded, their torso's dragged through The Streets, followed by impalement with their heads placed on Pikes, and displayed along Public Roads!

Seriously! I couldn't presume to speak for The Environment in a Metro Area of Three Million Souls. BUT, in Orlando they have Disney World, so I'm sure everything is A-OK over there. (Wink,Wink.) What The Heck kind of Research would you be doing where you wanted our VERY Subjective Opinions about Tolerance in our local areas? I seriously doubt you could even get A Feel of The Local "Temperature," it seems to change with each new day. You all haven't been exposed To "The Tea party" yet. Wait till you try and Guage their attitudes.

Peace and Love, Joanie

There are a few well known cities in Ma. that are very GLBT friendly , to name a few Northampton , Springfield , Boston , and Provincetown.
    As others have stated there are sections of most cities that you would want to be careful in no matter how you are dressed.

Banned Read only
    Here in Ohio I find as long as you are in the larger cities it is tolerated. In this little burg where I live not so much. One could be shot on sight if they even think you may be GLBT.

it all depends how passable you are , if you pass very well you can go anywhere , if you don't its best to stick to the more affluent parts of a town

Quote Originally Posted by Traci Elizabeth View Post
    That's because if you are from Pittsburgh, you either have the "Black Lung" or have melted steel deposits in your blood stream and everybody accepts that you and them are not quite right! (Me ---- Former Eastern Pennsylvanian and you know what we on the east side of the state think of you westward way-backs!)
    Hey I'm a coal miner and I don't have black lung!! I heard they built a pipeling connecting east coast pa with west to suck all our money to Philly!! Wish NY would anex eastern PA!! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I think there are a lot of surprises out there, sometimes you just have to test the waters, or talk to someone who has. I live in a very conservative red state and would have assumed a fairly aggressive prejudice here, but whenever I stray beyond the LGBT community into mainstream surroundings, I've been surprised by the lack of overt hostility, and by the number of positive one-on-one interactions I've had, often with people you might not guess from appearance as being all that open. On the other hand, I once went to a club in Santa Fe, which has an ultra-liberal culture, and encountered some non-aggressive but significant disapproval and derision, although I fielded some friendly overtures, too.

IME, the affluent tend to be more judgmental than everyday people at the middle and lower rungs of the social and economic ladders. And I think that the younger, prettier and more convincing you are, the greater the tolerance and acceptance from the straight and gay communities. I have also observed that the over-the-top, DQ types tend to garner more indulgence and acceptance than us plain-Janes, at least at the superficial level.

[SIZE="3"]I live in the Mid-West, Iowa to be exact. The smaller towns, I would be very hesatent to CD in public. What people do not understand they are frightened by. In the smaller towns they have almost no exposure to the LGBT community.
    Now if you go to Des Moines, Iowa City, or Cedar Rapids, you can CD openly. Just remember: You are only as safe as you are smart. Avoid the places that are really Red-neck.
    [/SIZE]
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Gold Member
    I am one that thinks that the locale based issues get overblown. Are there some? Certainly. But it seems once a location slips from complete acceptance it is automatically grouped with those that are full of hicks and you just can't go out there.

Aspiring Member
    I've asked the same question on a non CD forum. The respondents have reported they observe that whole communities are either hostile toward or suspicious of crossdressers. An individual who lives in Puerto Rico reported that in his community, crossdressing will report not only in a hostile work environment but community wide hostility toward the crossdresser.

Another person who lives in Las Vegas posted "Crossdressers creep me out."

But many, like the posters on here, report that acceptance depends whether you are in an urban versus rural area.

What seems to be making the main difference is not religion or party affiliation but community wealth, status, and the education level of the people living in the community. Do CD's see any correlation with these three factors and how they are treated?
    What do you think of the urban vs rural dichotomy?

I have a hypothesis: Crossdressers and transgendered are canaries in the mine so to speak. If they are denied rights and dignity then it's a warning sign that the freedoms of all Americans are in jeopardy.

If people are being fired for crossdressing then noncrossdressers should be concerned because they will likely be targeted next for unfair treatment. Your thoughts on this concept?