Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on being heckled?.........

advice on being heckled?.........

Hi girls, i had an unfortunate thing happen to me today.

Of recent i have been going out during the day shopping, its been a fantastic experience, but there is ALWAYS something that has to try and ruin it.

I went to a particular shop today that i had not been to before, because i thought they might have the boots i wanted. Well my luck was in, i found the boots, and they are fantastic.

Here's the problem....

The shop has a weird way of getting into, it has two long escalators directly next to each other, one to go in, one to go out. So i was leaving and on the down escalator, very pleased with my new purchase and minding my own business, and on the up escalator coming into the shop amongst others were some youngish men - if you can call them men! i did not look at them or anyone else, i dont make eye contact incase of a reaction, but this boy shouted very loud 'geezer!' (slang for man!) he kept repeating it to try and embarrass me, i did nothing, and completely ignored him.

I know that was probably the best thing to do, but i really wanted to shout back at him and embarrass him back! how dare he!!!!! i was very upset travelling back home! it did knock my confidence and i was going to undress and continue shopping in male mode.

What would you girls done in my situation?

Whats the best course of action? Could i have got the authorities involved?
    Or is it just something we have to put up with?

If this happens again, i want to be prepared. It was an awful experience.

Oh suffice to say, i went out for the remainder of the day to another town, shopping enfemme and had no further problems! I was not going to let that person ruin my day.

Dee.

It is hard not to let it bother you..but I think what you did was a good thing. One thing that Nigella does when these things happen is smile at the people/person, they don't seem to know what to do, it's as if the tables have been turned and they are embarrassed.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

It's hate speech of course, Dee. They hoped to humiliate you, and I'm sorry you had to go through it. But it sounds to me like you handled the situation just right, and didn't give them the pleasure of believing they ruined your day.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Hi Dee.
    Just had a look at your profile picture and find it hard to see what gave you away. Your facial feature look quite awesome.
    You didn't perhaps have a set of tools with by any chance. LOL
    PJ

Philippa Jane

[SIZE="3"]Dee,
    I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I feel that people who must try and demean others, are very low in self esteem.

I doubt if security or staff would necessarily come to you assistance over a few malicious words.

I would have just tried to hold my head high. You really could not have done much else, unless you were willing to chase him down, and confront him. Confrontation with punks is usually best avoided.

If had been a store employee, I would have brought it to the managements attention.
    [/SIZE]
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Sorry to hear this happened to ypu Dee, unfortunatly their are some idiots out there who will do this. you done the right thing by ignoring them. If you react you may have found that the situation would have got worse, also maybe his mates would have joined in. Then you would have felt that every one is the side of the idiot.
    You look good in your avi pic and i suspect you look good in real life. As yo say in another town you found no problems.
    I have to say one time i got heckled a lady and her husband had a right real go at the person.

Havin fun learning Ashleythenewgirl's Avatar
    Deelite,
    here is how I would look at it. I think you ought to reassess your confidence level. You handled a very difficult situation very well in my book, better than I would have. My belief is that you were quite courageous and you need to keep that in mind. My shopping experiences have been in very safe setting I have to admit, I was able to say in the dressing room at Lane Bryant for example. And it was all in drab.
    I find how you handled this a source of inspiration Deelite. I am sorry they treated you so badly, no one should. But to try and stay positive you were really great under fire.
    If you want to be my friend I will welcome you with open arms.
    If you want to judge me, stay away and keep your mouth shut.

i think the best thing to do, is be a geezer
    grab this prat by the neck and give him a good shake
    i think that would humiliate him but then it could escelate
    you may have done the best thing there
    i bet hes feeling really big now

Quote Originally Posted by daphne g View Post
    i think the best thing to do, is be a geezer
    grab this prat by the neck and give him a good shake
    That's almost a guaranteed way to end up in the ER of the nearest Hospital.

Gold Member
    I think you did exactly what you should have in the store. Adding Sandra's suggested smile would have been a good addition. Beyond that? Anything more could have caused an escalation and you don't need that. But also evaluate how you felt after. If you had passed someone that gave you a knowing wink, would you have gotten into male mode to continue shopping? What was the difference? In one instance you had a complete moron notice you. In my fake one, you had a nice person give you a knowing wink. Should you let a moron change the mood of your day?

Thankyou ladies, for your help and lovely words!

Philipa, LOL! yeah i had a tool belt on with my work tools! I dont know what made him read me, it might of been my foundation, i wasnt quite as generous as i usually am and maybe he saw some beard shadow.

Whe he was shouting, i didnt even look in his direction, nothing but looking straight ahead. Like you have said here, i thought it would make him look the idiot for shouting at apparently nothing!

Yeah, i hope in a weird way you get inspiration from this, i had'nt thought of it that way. Returning home from that situation, i was thinking thats it, thats my shopping over today! No, No, NO!! i am not going to let this person win!!! if i go home and dress in boy mode, he would of won and got what he wanted.

I thought of it like falling off a bike, you have to get right back on! So i went to my local supermarket straight after and did my weekly grocery shopping enfemme! Never done that before! (yes it was fun!) and like i said i went to another town after that and shopped there, for several hours and bought a fab new dress!

So in a way i won, i got the boots i wanted and a gorgeous minidress! What goes around comes around in my book, that person will at some point have it happen to them.

Dee.

you did the right thing in this situation, you didn't let him get too you.

If it had been me, I would have turned a deaf ear and carried on walking, then when I got home, re-evaluated the day and ask myself a few questions,

1. what blew my cover?
    2. what remedial action will I take to avoid it next time?

The answer to question 1 could be a number of things, i.e too much makeup or not enough, the wrong type of outfit, once you know what you did wrong then you can take steps to rectify it for next time

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Im afraid its something that goes with the territory.you did best ignoring the twat these people are just trying to be the big I am,reacting to them is exactly what they want.once In Glasgow I reacted to one of these morons and Immediately felt anger with myself for letting them get the reaction they wanted.Remember we have as much right to exist as them.Hold your head high and show the dignity we possess that ppl that hate us can never have

Sophie xx
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Hello Dee!
    I think that for most of us we will be read from time to time no matter how good we look. I accept that every time I go out. And there have been a few times that I'm read and have had my confidence shaken a bit. The last time I was leaving a Ross store and the check out person at the register stopped what she was doing and yelled "Good bye" and waved at me as I was leaving. I waved back and kept going. Was she just super friendly to just me... or trying to make me uncomfortable? Before that I was leaving a movie and the girl in front of me said to her two friends "Look! That lady is a female impersonator"! Her friends looked but could care less. I think if we go out, we will get made at some time. It is just part of being a CD.
    Charlie

Ignoring was the right thing. I also like the smiling idea. A smile is often contagious. Another thing, don't be afraid to look people in the eye when you pass them. You are proud of who you are you should show it. I wonder if you had looked and smiled at him first if you would have gotten a completely different reaction from him.

Either way. don't let it get you down. Life is full of disappointments. Especially when "young adults" are involved. Just get over the ordeal and move on to your next outing. You look great and if I cross paths with you I would have no choice but to smile.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Okay Dee, you probably did the right thing by not responding. For me it would have conjured a remark back. Something like "young man if you cannot afford me keep it to yourself" or "that is not what you said last night, I'm hurt". Now if it a young girl or woman it would be something like "I choose to be a woman, what's your excuse". I would have to say don't p*ss me off or the claws come out and then nothing is off limits.

Teri

Gain a few stones, make a croydon facelift, pull on a pair of soiled trackpants and put a cig in your mouth and he'd have hit on you instead!

Jennifer is right, though, these guys carry knives.

Not so new of a girl Missy Tanya's Avatar
    I agree that you handled it right. Not so sure if I would have though. You did the best thing by not letting it bother you and just keep on doing what you want. Nothing better to pick one's self up than shopping. And cute boots, to boot!!!

Tanya

I think if you ignore them, they know it bothers you. It is best to face them with a smile. They get pleasure from making you feel bad. It is better to show that you are confident enough that getting outed doesn't matter. Some sort of come-back is OK, but I would avoid showing anger, or they have won. Something like "What is your problem? Haven't you ever seen a transvestite before??" might work. Or, just carry a taser in your purse, and use it.

Silver Member
    Whats the best course of action? Could i have got the authorities involved?
    Or is it just something we have to put up with?

Sweetie. What was the best course of action?

Just what you did. There are ALWAYS gonna be jerks and infantile idiots in your life. Do you really think you can prevent this sort of thing from happening? Well, you can't. Ever. If it wasn't CDing, it would be something else. Wearing a shirt from the wrong sports team, or having thick eyeglasses, or dressing like a hippie. If you are going to go out and about in this world no matter who or what you are, you are gonna run into people like this occasionally. So? You wanna know what to do? You already do. You did the right thing. You want to fight? Yeah, right. There's your testosterone showing, hon. Leave it.

Listen, hon. You didn't even look at him. How do you know he was aiming his stupid remarks at you? You were just feeling a bit self conscious, right? Someone above (Abigail), said, "don't be afraid to look people in the eye". She is 100% right. Look right at the jerk. Give him a BIG smile and a wave, turn and be on your way. You can never control other people's behavior, but you can control your own. Smile. A smile will diffuse many a tricky situation.

Don't waste any time at all worrying about how to deal with jerks. Remember, many men think it's always open season on women. Get used to it.

Stephie

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    Gain a few stones, make a croydon facelift, pull on a pair of soiled trackpants and put a cig in your mouth and he'd have hit on you instead!
    You dont know how close you are to the truth! i was in an area where 'kappa slappers' are rife! LOL! Seriously though, joking aside when i am dressed like most of you i feel very, very vulnerable! So thats why i didnt confront the guy or make eye contact with anyone. To be honest i am new to going out daytime, i am glad i didnt give him the satisfaction of winning, but i think the smile trick i will use next time.

Either that or a handy can of pepper spray might sort him out! LOL! (only joking!)

Thanks girls, you have cheered me up, its being on here and talking to you girls that makes the difference!

Dee.

Deelite. I think you did absolutely the right thing. Ignore it and get back on the horse. Well done! I'm a GG on the forum and I'd like to add that from the time I was 14 to about 23 I was heckled all the time - just for being a girl. It happened so many times and in so many ways that it's rather too much to detail here - but let's say they were every color and age of the male rainbow!! Some people are just so uncomfortable with themselves, they have to hurt others. It's a sad state of affairs. Here's what I learned:

1.When you are alone, that makes you an easier target.
    2.When you say anything (funny, angry, whatever) back, it's dangerous. (Unless your at a party and you know the person.)
    3.It has NOTHING to do with "what gave you away." Just as in my case, I didn't "do" anything to deserve to be heckled. (The worst you did was probably turn him on, and then he became afraid.) You are beautiful. And you are a human being. EVERY human should be treated with respect and kindness.

Stay brave and never let it get to you. It's not about you. It's about them.

Hugs!

Here in the U.K. Its classed as sexual harassment, which is a criminal offence, and if in a shop or mall you could complain to the store staff,or any of the security staff and they would have dealt with it

Hugs J-JAY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Hugs J-JAY

Never underestimate the power of brains and a push up bra.

Never complain about growing old, far too many people have been denied that privilege".

Quote Originally Posted by gailprice View Post
    ...one time i got heckled a lady and her husband had a right real go at the person.
    Gail, that's so great! Made me weep just a little. I bet there are lots of good folks like that out there, more than there are jerks.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

[SIZE=4]Now combine what happened to you and think what happens to GGs all over the world everyday. They get taunted, bullied and called all sorts of things. I work with a lot of girls that come in crying or pissed because someone said something to them that was rude. Usually it is an insecure kid or even another spiteful woman, but the impact is the same. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Over the years I have had my share of hateful remarks, and I still do, and some I handled the same as you did, others may have gone haywire, but the fact that some unknown person made rude remarks still stings and is hard to forget. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Keep your wits about you and realize just what a pathetic person the other person was and that you are a much better person than they will ever be. You may even feel sorry for them for being so downright ignorant....[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/