Thread: How do you hide big hands or make them seem smaller?

How do you hide big hands or make them seem smaller?

Mine are big, great for manual labor, less so for looking like a secretary. Do fingernails help? Long gloves if the dress and event is right?

You tell me, and we'll both jnow! My hands are huge and manly, but, nail polish does make them look a little better.

My only guess is gloves. I have the same problem.

I don't. I just go out anyway. We have to own our look and find a way to be confident regardless of our shortcomings.
    Michelle

Gold Member
    First, you always have to accept who you are and go with it. There are always limitations for us and GGs. But one tip someone here once said that I haven't tried is to put your nail polish on so it doesn't go all the way to the sides. This will give the tips the appearance of being thinner. My curiosity thought would be how it looks under scrutiny.

The way I dealt with my huge paws was to spend a significant amount of time studying GG's and their hands. The fact is many of them also have huge hands. So I do what they do, which is live with it, paint my nails, try to grow them out a little, but most of all i learned a little more confidence and these words I live by: If I don't make a big deal out of it no one else will either.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Firstly, I don't worry too much about it, but you can hold your hands with the thumbs in your palms, wear long false nails, remove all hair from fingers and back of your hand, moisturize to make them soft and stop using them as tools.
    Chickie

Simple really, don't put emphasis on your hands.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle James View Post
    The way I dealt with my huge paws was to spend a significant amount of time studying GG's and their hands. The fact is many of them also have huge hands. So I do what they do, which is live with it, paint my nails, try to grow them out a little, but most of all i learned a little more confidence and these words I live by: If I don't make a big deal out of it no one else will either.
    This is so true. I have small hands but shoulders like a woodsman on steroids. My SO keeps telling me to be confident, to smile and keep my head up. There are billions of women with big hands and broad shoulders and they all have to work with what they have. We are no different.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

I can't say that I have ever experienced this problem as I have very small hands (smaller than most genetic women that I know) but I imagine the best way to combat it is simply to be confident in your own body and how it looks. If you choose to disregard the above I would suggest that you look at the way in which women you know use theirs and try to imitate that. Or...you know... just bung a bit of nail polish on them I guess.

I use the tip for not putting nail polish right to the sides and it does work quite well and I have seen GG's use this , which is where I got it from.........................

Lots of love Gina x
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

I just wear boxing gloves...
    or big clown shoes, which distracts them from looking at my hands. Or I hide one finger and everybody just thinks I am a cartoon character, since cartoon characters only have 3 fingers and a thumb ...

Well, a quick scan of my mental filing cabinet of useless, but retained information yielded the following results...most of it probably extracted from accumulated knowledge of kinesics, cues, and visual disguise gained over years of study and application.

-refrain from wearing rings and other "hand jewelry", as it attracts attention to hands. Of course the smaller the ring, the larger the fingers/hand will appear.

-avoid wearing those dainty little women's watches and thin bracelets as these actually make your hands appear larger, by the automatic visual size comparison that takes place when we look at objects. (dainty thin watch/band in close proximity to a large hand makes hand appear even larger that it is already).

-if you insist on wearing wrist jewelry, select larger "hoops" and "bracelets", which by comparison, reduce the visual size of your hands.

-attempt to minimize gesturing with your hands and when not in use, lower them to a resting position close to you body, such as your lap, or at your sides on the chair seat, etc.

-When at rest, bend your "pinkey" in and "under" toward your palm, which makes it "disappear" and visually "reduces" the width of the hand.

-minimize lifting your hand(s) to your face, such as adopting the chin grasp. If you are going to use your hand as a rest support for your head, position your hand under your chin, with your curled fingers pointed in toward your neck, leaving top of your wrist facing "out", which conceals the fingers.

-refrain from resting your hands around objects on the "table" such as glasses, as this simply makes your hands more visible. If you must "caress" something, make it something much larger in comparison to the size of your hand.

-Light colored nail polish contrasting with darker skin of hands can make hands appear larger.

-Try to avoid making "a fist", as this makes an already large hand appear even larger.

-Minimize "opening gestures" such as loosening a jar lid, as this is a "strength" gesture by nature and there is a natural urge to view the "progress" of somebody engaged in a "contest" (opening the jar).

-When your hands are viewable, endeavor to keep the turned to the "side" similar to extended hand for a "handshake", and rest them more to the sides of body, but close into body.

-long nails can help portray a longer slender hand or in the case of "fat fingers", simply attract more attention to them.

oh, and try to avoid the urge to arm wrestle with somebody on the tabletop at bars...lol

That's all I can offer for now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Are they abnormally large and are your feet that way too? If so it could be a sign of a pitutary tumor that secrets HGH. Had a friend who had that...

Personally mine are probably average for a guy my build but definitely not very fem... So adding long nails gives a lengthening/slenderring effect and I always tucked my thumb back under my palm which made them look femmerish.. Adding rings and a large bracelet will also help give the appearance of being smaller. Do not wear thin delicate jewelry because that will do the opposite and make you hand appear larger.

Long large loose sleved tops will make your hands appear smaller too.. Tops that are closer in color to your skin tone will make them less obvious than shades that contrast your skin. Its like trying to make things around your hands look larger which will in effect make you hands appeare to scale wise, smaller.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

try "cupping" your hands and while siting pace them in your lap. (palm up or down).
    while walking keep them close to your body, knees together. bend your elbows not the shoulders and keep your back straight. (posture).

I have sausages for fingers and I use the fake nail method to make the fingers appear smaller than they actually are.

Banned Read only
    The only suggestions I can make is long fingernails and also blouses/tops with large sleeve ends which when compared with the hands would appear to shrink them.

The advice given to CD's in UK is to stand or walk with the tips of Thunb and first finger touching to form a circle, by all accounts this actually does appear to make the hands look smaller.

I don't have particularly big hands, but find that adding false nails helps a little. In winter I wear ladies gloves a lot too as they are a longer shape and of course look far more feminine

with regard to my last post about forming a circle with finger and thumb, I made an error, it's not the finger next to the thumb it's the middle finger (the longest)

I've got enormous hands and many women in my family do, too. If you try to hide it sometimes it makes it worse. And gloves don;t help!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Really, Kitchenette? Maybe you're wearing the WRONG COLOR?

Quote Originally Posted by kitchenette View Post
    I've got enormous hands and many women in my family do, too. If you try to hide it sometimes it makes it worse. And gloves don;t help!
    Isn't dressing all about "confidence" after all?

I have terribly ugly MAN hands! However, after slipping on some, (usually BLACK), ladies gloves, THAT problem disappears!

So, I can concentrate on hating my MAN arms!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherry, you crack me up! I think you might be a tad more comfortable using clothes as an art form than me, so I defer to your expertise on this one, for shizzle!!! But don't hate your arms! Maybe you can wrap silky black ribbons around them for a look that's sorta part Chanel part BDSM? hehe. No, but of course there are things we wish we could change about ourselves. I'd like not to have such huge feet sometimes.... But they simply aren't going to change. But I don't wear orange shoes, either... uh, actually, I wear black shoes. So you may have a point about the gloves. I guess we should try to love ourselves more, that might help, too.