Thread: Security Clearance

Security Clearance

I am thinking about applying for employment with the government that may require a security clearance, has anyone been rejected because of crossdressing or HRT. I would hate to start the process then get rejected because of CDing. My therapist said that I would have to disclose her name and my Endo. to them and they would get questioned. That's a real downer!

Rach

Rachelle...
    Bending Gender

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I've had a goverment job with a security clearance for some time. They ask a lot of questions. The hardest part is they want to know all you past addresses and past jobs for the last 7 years. When you are ex army that can get rather long because each assignment and deployment counts as a job. They will also want a bunch of past references.
    They don't ask any questions about crossdressing or HRT.
    Also the key is not what you have done but that you fully disclose everything when asked.
    Also if you are transitioning one day you will have to tell them anyway.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

If you're seeing a therapist for any reason you'll need to report it. If you're on HRT, they might raise the question of effects on your mood. As long as you're doing hormones under medical supervision it shouldn't be an issue. If you're closeted, they'll raise the question of whether you are susceptible to blackmail. Otherwise, being a CD or TS won't matter.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LIE TO THE INTERVIEWERS.

And I forgot to add: good luck with the job!

I hate saying this, but I once worked in Naval Intelligence with a high security clearence and the main reason why you might not pass is because THEY do not want anything that can be held over your head, BLACKMAIL for information.

Crazy Lady
    And that is why I am out at work, so I cannot be blackmailed.

Deanna

Quote Originally Posted by Elle1946 View Post
    I hate saying this, but I once worked in Naval Intelligence with a high security clearence and the main reason why you might not pass is because THEY do not want anything that can be held over your head, BLACKMAIL for information.
    That's only a worry if she's deeply closeted. If the important people in her life already know there's no danger of blackmail.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    One thing I forgot to mention is that it is illegal for your therapist or doctor to give out any information concerning your medical condition.
    Also the questionaire for a "Secret" clearance dosn't ask any questions concerning your medical or mental condition or any prescription drugs you may be taking. Maybe the forms for a higher level do but my job doesn't require it.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

They will ask whether you have ever gone by any other names, too. An example given was a "stage name" for an actor or a radio/TV announcer. I got out of the Air Force long before the Internet phenomenon, but it would not surprise me if they ask for any names you may use on blogs or social sites, such as this one, Facebook, My Space, and so on.
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

The CIA actually did a study on the 'risk' back in 1993 and concluded, as others have stated above, that the only risk is that of blackmail. It is a very interesting study to read, and has some interesting statistics in it.

http://www.okdiversity.com/genderbenders/cia.html

If you are going to go for the security clearance, your best bet is to probably not hide anything. If they are professional, they will already know about this study and probably already have policies in place covering crossdressers.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    It is not a problem these days for goverenment(non military) employees. If you are in the military, the 'don't ask, don't tell" policy applies. although even that is probably struck down by now. I'd go ahaead and apply nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Thank you all for the information, I had heard the only reason of concern would be for a closeted CD due to black mail. The jobs of interest for me require a "Q" clearance. Would they out you to your personal references such as family and friends, and possibly ask about my CDing during interviews? I am not deeply closeted, however, there are family members who I would prefer not knowing about my CDing at this time, but I would not succumb to black mail.

Thanks again,

Rach

Rachelle...
    Bending Gender

I would apply, You know "Big Brother " these days anything and most everything you do is at their finger tips. Honesty is the best policy ,let the afirmitive action laws play a role .If denied employment have them explain in writing the reason/reasons..

No one can be denied employment without reason and it must be valid if quilified for the position , there is a fine line in the laws that some employers can choose if 2 or more applicants are quilified but the real reason/reasons must be given as to why one equal applicant advances over other applicants.. In other words don't give them a reason to deny you.
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

I guess it would depend a lot of just how important the job would be to you and how problematic CDing would be in conjunction with it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Gold Member
    I don't know what a "Q" clearance is. But in my day, a secret clearance was all paperwork and background check. A top secret clearance was where you, friends, references, and family members got interviewed. But I am with most in that something hidden is more dangerous that something you are open about. It used to be divulging past drug use was encouraged on your applciation not for punishment purposes but because if it came up later, it showed you were being honest.

Shades of "Brave New World"

Once again the US is making the book Brave New World a reality . I find that the book that was written so many years ago has been so predictive of the reality of the world today.

Just my outside looking in view for what it's worth which generally is much

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention is that it is illegal for your therapist or doctor to give out any information concerning your medical condition.
    Also the questionaire for a "Secret" clearance dosn't ask any questions concerning your medical or mental condition or any prescription drugs you may be taking. Maybe the forms for a higher level do but my job doesn't require it.
    She will be asked to sign a waiver allowing her therapist to disclose information on her medical condition.
    A Q clearance is roughly equivalent to "Top Secret." They will ask about mental health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrylee61 View Post
    Once again the US is making the book Brave New World a reality . I find that the book that was written so many years ago has been so predictive of the reality of the world today.

Just my outside looking in view for what it's worth which generally is much
    While the USA has its faults, this isn't one of them. It's not like everyone in the USA has to go through this, only those seeking jobs in defense work. Isn't it quite reasonable that someone wanting to be entrusted with national security information should be investigated to confirm honesty, emotional stability, and immunity to coercion? Someone wanting a job with Canada's MoD would go through much the same investigation.

I and apparently several others on this board either currently hold or previously have held high-level clearances, so it's not like the government is using the clearance process to weed out non-conformists (not any more, at least -- the situation was different a few decades back). They are well aware that in the greedy 'ol USA most spies do it for the money, and so are much more concerned that your finances add up than with what you wear or who you sleep with.
    Last edited by Nigella; 10-17-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

Quote Originally Posted by rachellenicole View Post
    Thank you all for the information, I had heard the only reason of concern would be for a closeted CD due to black mail. The jobs of interest for me require a "Q" clearance. Would they out you to your personal references such as family and friends, and possibly ask about my CDing during interviews? I am not deeply closeted, however, there are family members who I would prefer not knowing about my CDing at this time, but I would not succumb to black mail.
    Rachel,

They will not out you. If you explain you're "partially closeted" they'll ask who knows and who doesn't, and won't bring it up with anyone who doesn't. After all, if someone doesn't know, they can't answer any questions about that part of your life.

I can imagine it being a problem for clearance if you're married and your wife doesn't know. But if you're out to your SO and some friends, but not to Uncle Bob and Aunt Ethel, no problem. Plenty of us are in that situation. My wife and I both had Q clearances for many years; she's lesbian and I'm trans, we don't particularly hide it but on the other hand we don't advertise that part ourselves to her more conservative relatives either. Wasn't a problem for getting clearance, probably won't be for you either.

alas due to "homeland" security most people will never know the government has done a full back ground check on them. as a truck driver even we have had security checks (unknown how deep) but it will get worse as time goes on.
    but in a interview. questionnaire.....never lie.

i will crawl back under my rock and put my tin hat back on.

I can't say for every truck driver, but if you have a HAZMAT endorsement you will have to have a TSA background check. Unless your employer will pick up the cost, you even get to pay for it.
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

Thanks again, this kind of calmed my fears. Sounds like I should be OK, my wife, mother and sister know and are supportive. I think I will roll the dice and see what happens.

Rach

Rachelle...
    Bending Gender

I have recently undergone a number of security background checks in my search for employment. One with the federal government (TSA), the other 3 (yes, I said 3), were State of Texas for my Security Licenses, and my CHL (Concealed Handgun License). My CDing never came up.. Now I was in the Air Force before the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy really got underway, and when my first wife called my First Sergeant and told him all about Kandis, well let's just say things got really ugly with it from there. I spent 12 hours being interrogated by USAFOSI, sent for a psychological evaluation, and finally I looked at the shrink and said. "I don't see what the big deal is, now the Air Force knows about my crossdressing, therefore it cannot be used against me as in a blackmail situation because it is no longer a secret". He agreed, and told my First Sergeant and my CO there was no issue and no risk at me being targeted by our enemies.
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.