Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossdresser or Transgender or ?

Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    Traditionally, transgender means a person with opposite mental and physical genders,
    And also people who sometimes feel as if they are the opposite gender. Many CDs feel this way. Also those who wish to get in touch with aspects of the opposite gender, without necessarily identifying as such. The latter group is considered TG, since these individuals do cross (the definition of "trans" is "to cross") gender boundaries at some level.

Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    and a transsexual is a transgender person living as their mental gender.
    No. There are TSs who know they are women, but they still live as male, for a variety of reasons.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    ......Also those who wish to get in touch with aspects of the opposite gender, without necessarily identifying as such. The latter group is considered TG, since these individuals do cross (the definition of "trans" is "to cross") gender boundaries at some level.
    The way I commonly describe myself, as someone who wants to identify "with" or along side females, but inside I can't identify "as" a female. Sort of a cross-gender identification.
    Last edited by Jonianne; 10-24-2010 at 05:58 AM.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonianne View Post
    Sort of a cross-gender identification.
    Or you could have used the latin prefix instead of the English one and said "Sort of a transgender identification"
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

While I will freely admit to being both a crossdresser and therefore transgendered, I don't personally care for either term. I have chosen my own term for who and what I am, I am a Gender Adventuress
    [SIZE=3]Stacye Rose[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Cleverly disguised as a normal contributing member of society[/SIZE]

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    I identify with crossdresser, transgender and (even though the word makes me cringe) transvestite. I do not identify as a transexual, drag queen or transvestic fetishist, because I know that that isn't what I am. Of all the terms I've come across, the one I like the most because I feel that it fits me the best is that I'm a femulator. What I do is femulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    I don't think that categorising a question as "tiresome BS" is in any way helpful to anyone other than the person writing those words.
    You're right, it wasn't very helpful. Probably the wording of the post, especially "prove", triggered the response. It does express my sentiments exactly though, so I won't apologize for it.

I guess a more useful way to describe the question is "frustratingly insensitive and tiresome". Yes, it is still tiresome since it comes up so often from people who should know better.

----

@Alexia:

One red flag for me was that you wrote that you knew it would cause "heated debate". Knowing this, maybe you should have considered more carefully WHY it might cause an emotional response. It's like someone saying, "No offense, but [insert something offensive]". It implies at the very least a carelessness about the effects of your words.

The main problem is that the question ends up being:

"Can you prove that all cross-dressers are not future transsexuals?"

Or equivalently, if you identify as a cross-dresser:

"Can you prove that your identity [as a cross-dresser] is valid?"

That is a seriously insensitive question to ask. No one should have to prove that their identity is valid. Take their word for it that they feel that way! Questioning people's gender expression with this tired theme creates a hostile environment. It only takes a little consideration to avoid this kind of thing.

If you would like to know more about how anyone feels about their gender identity, ask that question respectfully of the group in an open-ended form of "how do you feel about x?" instead of a prescriptive "why don't you feel like y?"

P.S. Again, if you want to discuss the harmful aspects of denial and closeting, then talk about those specifically!

Thanks for the insigh Karezza,

Liz